What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

20 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

"Hey look! I'm helping too!" -Juno engine

I laughed up loud in front of the monitor :D

It's not a juno engine, but a small circular intake put there to resemble an APU exhaust.

Edited by jmiki8

On 24.12.2016 at 2:09 AM, String Witch said:

Designed a spacecraft around an aesthetic of spherical tanks inside a truss frame. I think it's quite cute!

700a996c2f.png

It's so chubby, I love it.

I've been fairly productive myself lately. I've put a simple science/refueling station in orbit around the Mun, and I've designed a small exploration shuttle to feed it with experiments from the Munar surface.

The Yggdrasil science station:

20161225121059_1_zpsjevuqakj.jpg

And the little nuclear powered Hugin N exploration shuttle (is that even a thing?):

20161225120759_1_zpslfctwxdb.jpg

It has 6 CANDLE engines from the KSPI-E mod, small and quite efficient engines. 

Edited by Mjarf

Today I have spent the day reworking last nights Mini-Space Station I made. It was a little "over complex" for my liking.

On the Z axis we have a Cupola and 2 passenger modules that are "crew areas", followed by a small inline storage bay, 6-way connector, long storage bay, into crew passage way ((empty universal fuselage) I really don't like struts for connecting things. Like the Kerbals walk between the walls!) with 2 Jr docking ports, 4 shielded docking ports, rockomax adapter to a smaller universal fuuselage and shielded docking port designed for SSTOs.

On the Y axis, battery banks, crew quarters with openable window shields and cupola.

On the X axis, lots of science stuffs, and to the other side Life Support stuff, nom-o-matics/food/recyc etc.

Then some antennae and solar panels.

Naturally being shorter it's 100k more expensive. Last nights version had an additional 6-way below the first one at a 45degree turn. It's still unfinished, I need to add some lighting to the outside, some ladders for ease of access on EVAs, and of course the addition of docking ports as this will obviously be a multi-part launch and rendezvous style endeavour.

31714459922_b883ecab28_c.jpg

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Likely no, though a UH-60 Blackhawk cockpit would be interesting at some point... :)

Instead of a new cockpit, give the Buffalo cockpit a transparent nose cone (or nose wedge) attachable to its frontal node. There, aerodynamics problem resolved.

I'm not a religious person, but still, i thought today the Kraken will have mercy with my "RP-start" to a new solar system if i remove clouds and such so he might watch it from above.

LrbXDil.png

Nope! Ah well, screw this..

u27qNsK.png

That made it worse, but if a rocket is heavy enough, a few missing boosters won't matter.

2YigGeL.png

Indeed, quite stable after all. Shed a lot of weight with that half fairing also (over 320m/s in under 10'000m).

uSlMYaC.png

This might be the most Kerbal screenshot i have. Just for scale, the upper-stage tank is 20m wide and 12m tall, the dropped mass once in orbit is three times as expensive as the actual payload :P

9U1bqEW.png

And here we are. It needs some work with the lighting and i can probably add quite a few more weight to it (after this, i don't think i need 200t or more in fairings), actually having a hangar bay for the A-class Asteroids it's supposed to catch to sustain the populace on their journey to a new solar system.

Because it's my biggest rocket yet, here are the stats:

Mass: 58'637.210t
Payload: 5'000t (ish)
Height: 215.7m
Width: 82.4m
Price: 53'997'610

Merry Christmas everyone!

In some sort of Christmas miracle, after restarting my game, I got the central hub and the main core of Port Kerbin to dock and weld together!!! Contract was fulfilled and spesos were paid out.

In other news, a contract to reposition a JSI RWPS satellite was accepted. Need to wait 16 days and do it at the apoapsis. Thanks Kerbal Alarm Clock!

A new contract to do science at the Northern Ice Sheet was accepted. Our new quartermaster took the Tomcat Mk3-B with a couple new science instruments stuffed into its tiny cargo area up there. He did the contract and then since he still had fuel, jumped over to the Northern Ice Cap area and did it all over again.

Next scheduled launch will likely be tomorrow as it's Christmas Day and family time. We will try to get the struts A and B up to the station to keep building. The struts hold the long range comms gear and are the mounting points for the Power struts which hold the gigantor solar panels.

14 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Today I installed @Galileo's planet pack to my dormant 1.2 save, in hopes of chaos ensuing.

78u0FjF.png

-snip-

And then this happened:

6cIFEX6.png

Well, um, this is all just testing, anyway... :blush:

Meanwhile, I'm nearly finished cooking something up for my, ahem, legions of adoring fans... :rolleyes:

Needs more flarp™. Silly (stock?) contract machine, there's no Eve in the Ciro system, and the resident antisocial female planet has no atmosphere. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I've done a lot around KSP lately, not much in KSP.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Silly (stock?) contract machine, there's no Eve in the Ciro system, and the resident antisocial female planet has no atmosphere. :rolleyes:

Heh, I suspect the game would be running a bit faster if I hadn't just given the contract system on an existing save a complete existential crisis for which it's seeking therapy in the debug log. :wink:

today the discovery reached the Joolian system and sucessfully deployed almost all its drones (no KAL9000 malfunctions and the pod bay doors worked nominal)

19658D75E0ABB80CB7787D9CE9143C4B778B30E2

Laythe

D085E8AA12FA0643F4F7687D223E9C364E694534

Vall

BA98AE6431478370BA4B7D3BBADABACE9177B7C5

Tylo (L.O.S on impact due to insufficent fuel for deceleration)

3C9DB0C0FC6AF534BCE4B1EA414411F3283EAD9E

Bop (encountered an unknown and potential dangerous lifeform, thermonuclear sterilisation of moon is advised)

29002E86F2C585889199F9DD9E9472FCCD8674D7

Main Orbiter for Jool

7A69AD711075E5953ACFBD0F5910A71AF746B3C6

only downside is the great expense of fuel, but i am confident i can get the discovery back for refuelling to the Ike depot

I built a crane:

Crane.png

It's still a WIP. It's rather unwieldy, and has trouble lifting heavy things/lifting things on planets with high gravity.

Now, let's see... ooh! I know! Let's try picking up the rover I parked at the Administration Building! It should be light enough.

Earth.png

Woops!

Air.png

Anndd right into the pool

Water.png

it seems i too have succumbed to the pool...

STS 9b (A retry of STS 9 that delivered Truss A to KerbinLab 2. STS 9's truss had no probe control and the mission had to be abandoned. This time, the payload had probe control. The shuttle came within 30 meters of the station and jettisoned the payload. It came out faster than expected and was a lot less controllable than thought. What was also unthought of was battery power. The payload still docked to where it was supposed to go. Four more trusses with solar panels and radiator panels will be added in upcoming missions. The shuttle then docked to KerbinLab 2 and took the excess monopropellant from Truss A. It was also the mission that put the most Kerbals in space at any one time: 7. Irca of Laythe 1 and Loming of STS 9b switched rolls. Irca landed with the shuttle and Loming will be landing with Laythe 1 on day 159.): Success

Cubesat 24 (Four Cubesats were provided by Kerbal Motion to test the effects of vertical launches on Kerbol orbit at different times of day. Kerbin was at day 138 when the missions started and lasted until 140 which puts it near the middle of the year. The first launch was at sunset on day 139. It was proven that a sunset launch is optimal for missions to Moho.): Success

Cubesat 25 (Launched at sunset on Day 139. Optimal for missions to Dres and beyond.): Success

Cubesat 26 (Launched at midnight on day 140. Optimal for missions to Eve or Duna.): Success

Cubesat 27 (Launched at noon on day 140. Also optimal for missions to Eve or Duna): Success

Next planned mission: MapSat 3 (An upscaled version of MapSat 1 to be put in a polar orbit of Kerbin to further map the planet and look for anomalies to be  investigated.)

UOCplcb.png

STS 9b approaching KerbinLab 2

Ydq8GgO.png

STS 9b and Truss A docked to KerbinLab 2. After transferring the extra monpropellant from Truss A to the main tank in STS 9b, the tank was jettisoned (Truss A to the left of the top main solar panel, monoprop to the right of it.)

Merry Christmas and happy new year fellow Kerbalnauts! 

First manned mission in GPP and together with Jeb we decided to give Iota to Val.

MEhwmX6.png

Then when unlocking surface samples and fetching some to refill my bank account, I discoverd what Val really likes, besides planets, while Jeb was having a laugh at the crazy daredevil :D

QAK58mF.png

Merry Christmas everyone !

Today I have launched my second Kerbin satellite network. The first not being operational anymore.
I have just realized too late that the satellites should be linked to each other and two dishes wasn't enough.
They should still get the work done though. :) (Relay Minmus-KEO-KSC)

tp7W8ow.jpg

Today for the first time in over a month, I got to play KSP.  I decided to stick with 1.2 and push on to make that miner ship that will be used for my science 'grand tour'. 
The miner's job will be providing LFO to the Landers, so will effectively replace the "Mission Fuel Tank" module I had on my Jool-5 trip a few months back. 
So here's the story of it's first test run:

upfAfqV.png
« Sitting on the Launchpad and just got the go ahead. You can spot the miner on the top. »

pZIyvtn.png
« Successful launch of the Miner ship, the first module that will make the interplanetary Mothership. »

1V3Lh0C.png
« Solid boosters have been discarded and first phase of the gravity turn is complete »

TdXMKIq.png
« Confirmed separation of the liquid fuel boosters, some disassembly but the main vessel is intact »

GwotmTy.png
« We have orbit and deployment of the Miner craft.  The craft lost one of it's radiator but mission is still go. »

dnPTPbq.png
« Ejection burn complete, the vessel is on it's way to the mission's target. »

sxLrsaP.png
« Approaching target, deceleration phase initiated. »

0JZ8Tn4.png
« Vessel is now performing soft landing on the Mün. »

l0aNyh4.png
« Landing complete, drills deployed.  Mission is successful, repeat: Mission is successful ! »

aAjMmqF.png
« Secondary objective successful, vessel is docked and sharing fuel with the Mün's fuel depot ! »

So yeah, that worked fine... except for that one radiator that I blew-up when ejecting the top cone on the miner just before achieving orbit.  Apparently, the gimbal on these radial engine also blew-up 4 verniers engines.
The vessel features it's own Nuclear Reactor, 4 drills, 2 large ore converters, room for one Kerbal (the Cupola, which the engineer will sit in), lights, radiators, and landing gears. 
Note: The 4 engine used 120% size, thanks to Tweaksize... thank god I had that mod, otherwise I did not have good radial engines for the design.
Some minor redesign is in order, but overall the first part of my interplanetary vessel is complete and very satisfactory...

Hope you enjoyed, Merry Christmas and happy new year !

Today, rather, Christmas evening, I began to broaden my horizons concerning base building, using a very different parts pack from my norm and installing the other parts packs I'm using with it in another, temporary KSP directory. The main mod is Pathfinder, part of Wild Blue Industries. No screenshots as there was too much learning and there's nothing awesome I'm willing to show yet.

But this part I will show: After running through (rather, around) every Galilean world to screenshot them for the next dossier update, I decided to take the craft I was using and do something immersive: Reverse my orbit, land this, chase those natural phenomenon, and plant a flag in it. I took the challenge of dealing with those space engines which spool as slowly as any air-breathing engine but fortunately gravity is quite negligible here and OPT RCS is very strong. The craft is the Balari V SSTO from @K.Yeon.

After landing, Jebediah hopped 4km away to pick a good spot for flag-planting, take many photos, and hop back to eagerly share his snaps with Bill and Bob. I should've tried to change the flag to be region-appropriate......but then that'll help to give away this place's location. :wink:

0IwxNdg.jpg

sYOmY9C.jpgDTaySRJ.jpg1iYKhtq.jpg 9pLvQ2e.jpg

Did some sample return missions.

One to the Mun to test the concept and then one to to Duna

screenshot1546_zpseq6vohig.png

After collecting science and loading it into the return module we wait liftoff.

screenshot1551_zpsilp3y2r1.png

The lander was supposed act as a booster for the return module and the large amount of fuel remaining meant about 80% of the D/V needed for orbit was supplied by the lander.

screenshot1557_zps4tkjarfb.png

Which was good, because most of the remaining fuel got a hyperbolic orbit around Kerbin with a PE of 20 km. Then the last 150 m/s of D/V was used at an altitude of 70 km and then the return capsule took the rest of it on the heat shield.

screenshot1558_zps7fu6kiii.png

Decided I should finally get back into KSP and started a new install, provisionally titled Kerbals On Earth. Real Solar System with the stock parts - no Realism Overhaul, no SMURFF. (Might let stock-balanced packs like SpaceY in though.) I'm expecting some big rockets.

And here's the view Jeb got on his very first flight, which got to just over 100 km up and landed safely. Stupid night flights.

http://imgur.com/a/ZgJjA

Reaching orbit will be a whole other story...I look forward to it.