What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This morning, I finished the upgrades to my Neptune 1 Mod. 3 to make it into a Mun ship (now saved as Selene 1).  The primary Mk. 1 Command Pod received a Lf/O tank upgrade, to ensure it would have enough dV in Munar orbit for the return trip while pushing the secondary Mk. 1, while the secondary Mk. 1 had its Lf/O tank switched out for three FL-R25 monopropellant tanks, and its Reliant engine replaced with four O-10 "Puff" monopropellant engines as well as getting a set of landing legs.  As anticipated, one of the Rockomax Jumbo-64 fuel tanks in the SSTO booster was converted to a stage, dumping the control unit, monopropellant tank, and recently installed fuel cells on the stage adapter (no longer needed to deorbit the booster; it will be suborbital at burnout and the second stage will make the circularizing, transMunar insertion, and Munar capture burns, then be deorbited onto Mun before the return to Kerbin).  Finally, the fairing was adjusted to prevent interference with the strut anchors between the interstage and upper Lf/O tank.  The result is a proper Mun landing vessel.

Now, of course, I need test flights -- to LKO to test launch characteristics, then to Munar orbit to verify dV budget, before going on to actually land a Kerbal (and, hopefully, return him/her safely to Kerbin).  There's every likelihood the vessel will pick up a "Mod. something-or-other" before that historic day...

Selene%201%20pad_zpszmeixx5o.png

Took my first tourists up for a beautiful sunset suborbital trip...

1_21_17_What_a_View.pngupload pics

Then sent Val up for the first orbit of Kerbin...

1_21_17_First_Orbit_Val_1.pngimage post

Lost Jeb on a routine science mission. It was a sad day. Black boxes indicate he was monologuing to himself about the existential existence of the Kraken and wasn't paying attention to his flight level indicator... Val also discovered the Great Pyramid in the desert. It's been an active few days here at the doc's Space Center...  

57 minutes ago, The Budgey Admiral said:

So, I finally figured out how to upload to imgur, after apparently having created an account for something that does not require one. I am an absolute genious. :rolleyes:

An account does make it easier to manage though.

Cool base.

11 minutes ago, -M-TheDoctor said:

Lost Jeb on a routine science mission.

No not Jeb :(.

2 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

Congrats!   I will be looking forward to checking it out!  WIll it be your intention to fold it into Kerbal Foundries?  or will there be room for a separate ALG?  I don't want to duplicate effort...

My intention is to merge the parts in with Kerbal Foundries for distribution.  I don't have the time for maintaining even-more threads and repositories (and managing more releases), especially for such closely related functionality.  Though the re-rigged models/configs don't need anything from KF (only the KSPWheels .dll), and I might be convinced to pack up a secondary 'just-landing-gear' download (which is easy enough to automate). 

In either case I wouldn't see where a separate ALG mod would really be needed at this point, unless you wanted to manage the repackaging for the 'just-gear' releases under the ALG name.

6 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

My intention is to merge the parts in with Kerbal Foundries for distribution.  I don't have the time for maintaining even-more threads and repositories (and managing more releases), especially for such closely related functionality.  Though the re-rigged models/configs don't need anything from KF (only the KSPWheels .dll), and I might be convinced to pack up a secondary 'just-landing-gear' download (which is easy enough to automate). 

In either case I wouldn't see where a separate ALG mod would really be needed at this point, unless you wanted to manage the repackaging for the 'just-gear' releases under the ALG name.

I would tend to agree.  I also certainly do not need more to do.  I have enough on my plate as it is.  Again congrats on update, and I'll be sure you get listed in the BDAc thread as a replacement for ALG.  I just have to rebuild the missing addon page :P 

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Today I brought back yet another wheel-related mod that has been MIA since 1.05....

JVZxqGM.png
(hint:  Its the landing gear....)

Should have the Adjustable Landing Gear (ALG) parts available as part of Kerbal Foundries a bit later today.  Most of the original feature-set should be available, though some features may have changed slightly.

Aw sweet, I've been waiting for these. Thanks a ton! :)

2 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Misjudged the delta-v requirements for 3.2x...

XMD4Qxn.jpg

Also found an annoying bug where the event list gets stuck and cannot be cleared :/ 

Well, extra fuel's always helpful. Do you have enough to travel biomes? Also, what skybox are you using? It's very impressive.

10 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Misjudged the delta-v requirements for 3.2x...

Generally, delta-v requirements are the normal ones multiplied by the square root of the scale factor. It's less than that value on landings and ascents though because a greater proportion of your total delta-v to/from orbit is spent in the horizontal direction, so you lose less to gravity.

10 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Well, extra fuel's always helpful. Do you have enough to travel biomes? Also, what skybox are you using? It's very impressive.

Nebula link in my signature :)  And i'm not sure about a biome hop because i don't have any scan data yet...

I managed to balance out the corvette that I was talking about and have it a more reasonable displacement/draft.UzcWO58.png

I then flew a Fairey Swordfish-like plane and hit the ship with a torpedo.JwmBWaw.png

The hit caused some damage, but nothing that could sink it by itself, which is why I turned off the pumps in the hit area (it sank).fuMzi0F.png4RzKbOQ.png

I then tested out some other aircraft with AirplanePlus and managed to create a propeller plane that could carry 2,000 kg of bombs, reach at least 9 km, and fly at 180 m/s. It's main issue is fuel consumption (the Bumblebee engine uses extremely high amounts of fuel). It can glide for 74 km from an altitude of 8 kilometers.CCwsLVI.png

I then took the design and turned it into a more fighter type design, with a more efficient engine, yet still capable of similar speeds, high maneuverability, and a 750 kg bomb payload.GFDW3hr.png

Edited by SaturnianBlue

I decided to reactivate KSC2.

This necessitated a construction of an alternative infrastructure, and delivery by blimp.

8LGf3A8.png

v3Gwe7H.png

OKk0oxQ.png

pLPSKdR.png

TqdLVlZ.png

There were some minor kraken-like problems, luckily two kerbals were able to reach the manufacturing floor and produce some makeshift replacement parts for the broken walkway.

LVTD4Pf.png

iMl6F8J.png

The recon crew refueled their airplane and soon returns to KSC. Proper KSC2 crew arrives shortly.

On 17/05/2013 at 6:06 PM, Xeldrak said:

So, what did you do in KSP today? I'm working on my project to touch down on every object in the system without mechjeb, so everything is done by hand. I launched a rocket (Project D-Man)to Duna yesterday and today I landed on Duna . After taking off, I realized that I could land on Ike too. This way I don't have to visit the Duna-system again. However - it seems I did a slight miscalculation and only reached Ike orbit....with a 30 km apoapsis.

So, I converted a space-tug I had in storage into a interplanetary towing service and left for Duna. Yeah, it has mechjeb, because I did all the landing allready and its better than just leaving my faithfull kerbals in Ike orbit (my project - my rules :wink: ). So both ships met in Ike-orbit, where I accidently triggered the last stage seperator on D-Man just after docking. However after a few months of waiting for the right planetary alignment - the D-Man capsule is on its way home :D And yes, I did not have to attend any lectures today - so there was plenty of time for KSP :wink:

So, what about you?

I Just Drag My KSC to laythe :D  and i put in orbit my first satellite (laythe one) :P  now ill be making a expedition to north pole 4aed183bcd4ef86b6764918d8ed27126.gif

to see what has on it.Then i will try to make a SSTO, but i'm too newbie :( 

Edited by Darkness

Against my better judgement I've launched another ship identical to the one I sent to Arin.

MTU_Daredevil_Orbit.png

And I'm going to send it to Arin. Because apparently I never learn from my mistakes.

What happened to the original?

Kraken.png

Now I'm glad I recovered the crew

Edited by Brownhair2

Some days, contacts in KSP lead you to do odd things.

My crew returned safely from Duna, though I discovered the Kermes to be short on hab space, even Jeb was sick of it by the time they were on the way home. Okay, so maybe I won't be reusing the Kermes as much as I thought - needs a redesign, lessons learnt.

Then I realized my Explore Duna contact hasn't completed. Hmm. "Return to Kerbin from orbit of Duna." Right. I forgot that actually means surface of Kerbin. Ummm.... I ain't waiting for next launch window just to fulfill that! What can I do? 

Kermes was in orbit of Duna, that's all I got...

Wait, I decided to redesign anyway...

Surely it couldn't survive reentry. No bloody way. But .... contact!

30 minutes in the VAB, one highly awkward launch, one standard rendezvous, and three docking maneuvers later..........

OKq1nZA.jpg

Am I seriously doing this? 

4Q6zJWc.jpg

I'M SERIOUSLY DOING THIS...

hbjjNSr.jpg

Hey wow, it's working...!

CkTMTg3.jpg

Fuel tanks blew, but the hab survived. Good keeps for the museum!

And my next explore contract iiiiis... Ike.

Kaaay. 

Today I installed SimpleConstruction and tuned a number of things concerning it: the stock drills and ISRU to handle MetallicOre instead of Ore and lose the default fuel production modules (because Karbonite) and then I designed two completely different stations. One uses OPT parts and can change SOI, but the other (this one) uses Planetary Domes and @Enceos Animated Station Screens. I've been itching to build a station with glass spheres, even before this domes mod existed (I wished transparent PP textures was a thing) ...or ever since I learned of it.

QyrGE3x.jpg

VMOgPPi.jpg

Unfortunately, and I saw this coming, I tripped an autostrut bomb by docking these two massive 100+ part vessels. The empty procedural tank (Saturn textured cylinder) in the station is 26 tons and had some autostruts leading to it from the frail extremities (outermost half-size domes). Whether whole or shattered this was a beautiful and pleasing sight. Where's Picasso Kerman? This needs to be chronicled on a traditional medium. Would this happen with a lighter, autostrut-less vessel? Who knows.

vjtElzf.jpg 

8xXAqXN.jpg

9 hours ago, Carl said:

An account does make it easier to manage though.

Cool base.

No not Jeb :(.

Thanks! :wink:

The base was inspiriert by a "Single launch Gilly mining base" by The Gamer Alchemist. He does some nice KSP videos on Youtube.

Sad that Jeb is gone ;.;

Edited by The Budgey Admiral
Forgot something.

@JadeOfMaar I have some cools stuff coming to the Station Screens mod :) it will have visuals which players will be able to adjust to their liking.

The Station looks super cool! Those transparent domes could use some facilities and lights inside them. Can you fly an EVA kerbal inside the the domes?

Edited by Enceos