What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

15 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Today, I still haven't ended the last flight with the XC-73A Pallas still docked in orbit, that I start another small-medium SSTO inspirated by the Myasishchev M-50 and called XC-74A Varuna :

Paokcx4.png

EIUNgfB.png

Standing proudly on its particular tandem landing gears, Varuna got Valentina as a pilot-in-command for its inaugural flight.

zBcRWwS.png

f9tbd82.png

Ouch, it got just 800 kg more than its predecessor but I can feel it by the length of runway it needs. Still, we have enough fuel to accelerate enough near the sea level.

kD0qicw.png

Here we go! Climbing at 20 degrees.

zKLQ1KW.png

About 24 km and still running under air.

ye5UqhU.png

HSZkWhA.png

I shut down engines 2 and 3 to avoid the flip. Number 1 and 4 made the job perfectly. At this point the Ap was placed at 140 km with around 1010 m/s still in reserve.

cuYFQ4I.png

9Rpzx8O.png

Ground Control to Major Val, you've really made the grade.

U4IKpql.png

G1A7az2.png

After maneuvers costing just 90 m/s, Varuna is approaching Outer Heaven with its older sister still docked.

eABVeUd.png

iIzWhlq.png

The whole vehicle is actually just equipped of the cockpit internal reaction wheel for its monoprop free maneuvers... yes, we can say it's heavy and terrible to control.

PtMbgwR.png

But we are docked.

Tc73S0X.png

4KBjqLf.png

This is Major Val' to Ground Control. I'm floating in the most peculiar way.

After this first part completed I don't really which one of them I prefer to fly... Pallas get a better look to me and is more maneuverable, Varuna for its part is the total opposite... being less attractive but with its wings configuration much more stable and easy to control.

Man, I love the Myassichev M-50! One of these awesome planes no one hears about...

Nice to see someone also knows about these planes. :cool:

4 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

With audio sensation restored in a cheap and nasty not to mention uncool (a proper headset with boom mic feels so spacey) manner the new career was resumed. In a possibly alcohol related move it was decided to see how far one could get without actually going into orbit..... On reflection it was definitely alcohol as it seemed such a good idea at the time.

Without the more lucrative contracts it was decided (hic) to keep the costs down by trying to recover as much as possible and do everything else in the cheapest manner possible. Cue lots of "test at the Launchpad" and the obligatory double mk1 rollerrover. With enough science earned a proper rover was deposited in the KSC grounds to attract "observe near" contracts and hoover up other observation contracts. This worked well with multiple contracts a day giving a good income. This funded the some building upgrades which the rover was able to snap up the science from before being recovered for upgrading. A quick trip out to get the science from any new experiments and then returning to lurking duty. It was also noted that putting a soil container as well as some snacks actually returned some loot for the contents. A golden shower indeed.

With the rover contracts starting to thin out enough science has been obtained to deploy an airship for more distant contracts. With electric power (albeit with a limited EC capacity) this is able to carry out "in flight" missions and return complete to base for maximum economic efficiency. Plans are in hand to equip her for proper science gathering as the next step in Operation Cheapskate.

screenshot120_zpsrlw37cwt.png

Funds are so limited Val is forced to take off from the Launchpad rather than the dirt road runway. At least they remembered to launch horizontally.

Heh i use a high quality gaming headset religiously. ALso, i remember my own early career days when i tried messing with planes, not touched them since because i focused on VAB upgrades first. But i did this a few times :p.

12 hours ago, Triop said:

Last thing I did today:

4VH7ztZ.png

WHen this gets quoted and thumbnailed down it looks super weird lol :).

This report covers a number of missions that have been accomplished in the past while.  We have some pictures of the ships to show you taken by our staff photographers, we hope you enjoy them.  So without any further preamble, let us begin...

First we'll discuss a mission where the purpose was to increase the occupancy of our second station orbiting Minmus by five seats.  The missions parameters did not specify that the expansion be permanent, so an actual ship that will be reused to ferry astronauts back and forth was built and launched into orbit.  A single pilot, as required by the contract, drove the ship to the station and docked to the small core, joining a small automated tanker already there.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%2012.35.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%2012.39.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%2012.44.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%201.19.4

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%201.22.2

Next was the pickup and return of two astronauts stranded and abandoned by competing programs in LKO.  They were picked up in succession by Kerbin Stayshun's shuttle bus and delivered to our spaceplane Shuttlecock which was loitering in orbit for just this scenario.  After the docking and transfer of our new crew members, the plane began its flight back home, with the intention of landing on our runway here.  All was going well, the plane had just passed the critical re-entry heating stage but it looked like it was going to be short of KSC, so the pilot decided to pull in the air brakes, which is when everything went to Kell.  Apparently the plane, when mostly empty of fuel and gliding at a high speed about 15km up, was out of balance enough that it began to flip and ended up an a drastic flatspin.  All crew members blacked out for a period of time due to extreme G forces but eventually came to and attempted to balance the plane by transferring the remaining fuel between fore and aft tanks.  This helped a bit, enough that the pilot could regain some semblance of control but it was far from perfect.  A powered landing was attempted, wheels first touched down when going over 100m/s, but quickly bounced up and went into a stall.  A couple more hops and some broken bits and pieces later though, all crew members walked out alive and mostly intact.  The Shuttlecock program has now been scrapped.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%201.51.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%201.53.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%202.08.0

Another expansion to the same station orbiting our mint moon was accomplished next, this time a permanent fixture.  The fun bit about this mission was the song and dance needed to open up a docking port and place the new hab module in its final spot.  The first expansion ship was used to grab the hab module after it separated from its transfer vehicle, and a rather tricky docking followed but was entirely successful in the end.  The first expansion ship then grabbed all crew at the station and drove them back to Kerbin Stayshun after all interested third parties were satisfied their requirements had been fulfilled.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%203.19.2

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%203.43.2

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%203.51.0

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%203.57.2

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-23%20at%204.21.3

A contract to plant a flag on our closer moon was accepted, and a new permanent Mün lander that will shuttle between the surface and station there was built.  The transfer vehicle was designed as cheaply as possible, the ship was launched, brought into orbit, and flung out to its destination.  One of the three scientists residing at Mün Stayshun then boarded the vessel, disposed of the transfer stage, undocked and managed a 4 point landing on the east side crater.  Much science was grabbed, and the return journey to the station was blessedly uneventful.  The experiments are now going full swing at the lab there, and along with our Minmus and Deep Spayce labs are providing us with not only new inspiration for our scientists but also funds in our banks due to our new administrative policy that turns data into much needed cash.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%2012.26.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%2012.31.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%2012.59.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%201.03.0

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%203.46.3

Two more rescue missions then followed, again first picked up by the Kerbin Stayshun shuttle bus.  This time they were returned to the ground by a new prototype drop ship which turned out to not work out very well, though both rescued souls are alive and glad to be so.  The problems arose when the air brakes which were fully deployed exploded during re-entry, which still to this day confound our staff who thought this was not possible.  Luckily, due to the weight of the engine and fuel, the ship flipped around engine-first and could slow itself down enough that the parachutes survived and could deploy when safe enough to do so.  Perhaps the angle of descent into the atmosphere was wrong - we went for a shallow attack this time; perhaps this concept would work with a steeper dive to the ground.  A couple testing runs might have to be undertaken, we don't think this concept will be abandoned just yet, seeing as how simple and cheaply it can pull of these types of missions.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%205.07.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%205.18.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%205.44.0

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%205.49.2

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%205.52.0

The last mission this report covers was to place a new 14 seat station into Mün orbit.  The opportunity was taken to include the new scanner thingy which in theory can see stuff on and in the ground and tell what it is.  Also, the budget for this project was sufficient that some profit could be made while being a bit fancy with it.  And so, Mün Stayshun Too was borne, and put into a polar orbit 200 km high.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%206.54.1

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%206.56.0

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%207.05.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-24%20at%207.32.3

Modded my game until it crashed every 30 minutes or so.  Weirdly, it seemed to mainly be caused by some element of Stock Visual Enhancements... despite having used it for nearly a month.

Deleted all mods and old careers, and started again with less mods.  So far, got a station to LKO and to Munar Orbit.  Not much else besides... yet!

Edited by Slam_Jones

Designed some awesome B9 ships based on designs back during the golden days of 0.24 and 0.90. (basically my own design, a design from a YouTuber who I forget the name of, but it was three space planes flying at once and docking at the middle carrier, and Robbaz's Yotenheirm (I think that's how it's spelt))

iwf2xlD.png

Also, I'm really starting to love my PC even more now. Even with 118 ITEMS in the GameData folder, even with these massive ships, even with their many parts, even with OPM AND even with SVE AND SVT... and still roughly 20fps, and hardly any crashes. I believe 1.2 in general is just much more stable, but whatever, I love it. :D

5 hours ago, Enceos said:

Last thing I did today:

4VH7ztZ.png

Your creation remembers me the famous Edgley EA-7 "Optica" :

74690_800.jpg

5 hours ago, The Budgey Admiral said:

Man, I love the Myassichev M-50! One of these awesome planes no one hears about...

Nice to see someone also knows about these planes. :cool:

I always have loved the magnificent M-50 and its uncommon configuration, mixing top of the art modernity (for its time) and 40's-50's technology. Alas another victim of the much more potent ballistic missiles... 

I went today to a peculiar place in Kerbin system:

XHnGWLk.jpg

Landing there was possible for a flight master such as Jeb or Val... but did not end well for them.

Spoiler

vFtqkLV.jpg

but taking of proved to be impossible

suG14c3.jpg

this however has proven that it indeed is possible to travel directly from North Pole to South Pole through the sinkhole:

Oepu2DA.jpg

That left them stranded in the hole forever... with no life support mod they will stay there forever.

However, saving them was possible with using the power of new technology known as 'quickload'

Spoiler

5bqMQGR.jpg

and away from this deadly trap:

SJ0Ufmn.jpg

They will live to warn all the Kerbals to avoid this cursed place forever (and suggest travelling to South Pole by more traditional means)

Messing around with Rovers. This bit of kit is hopefully going to Duna soon (my first time!) I thought i'd test it out on the Mun and Minmus (the latter just visible to the right of my lander).

DP0sfT0.jpg

k9v1b8h.jpg

fMIRWQH.jpg

Jeb: Waahhh! These wheels are not certified for really cool jumps!
Rover:  Put your hands in the air like you just don't care!

Fn1r2M5.jpg

The trip to the Mun identified that my rover had a few flaws, mainly righting itself wasn't great even with the landing legs, so an improved (reaction wheel and RCS enabled) rover went to Minmus. had a much smoother arrival...

2Wl5ols.jpg

Unfortunately the gravity was so low I did wheelies everywhere, which made steering a bit difficult.

ZVnF8nJ.jpg

Back home again (I've always liked the deserts on Kerbin)

XdoOqTq.jpg

Edited by Stewcumber

Started prepping the MTU Daredevil (that's what I'm calling it) for its mission

Daredevil1.png

Refueled it (I had to drain some fuel to lower weight for launch, and then I used some more getting to orbit) and docked a plane. Next plane will be coming soon to a theater near you

Two more EVE Online skyboxes now available (for a total of 4). :P 

The sea ship is "KSS Laythe" from letmeparkthatforyou on KerbalX.

gy07UBH.jpg

yszb4aj.jpg

ndvo75x.jpg

"Kickass Station" by scootymcpuff on KerbalX...... And Squad's "Orbiter" landed. With DOE on I had to sit right on the terminator at Minmus for sun and skybox to show.

Minmus rings??? ...Nah. But it sure looks good.

SNOtosc.jpg

NHod7Qj.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

eve lander aerocapture attempt

m7wBRN4.jpg

3Dd8zh6.jpg

QuFfPz4.jpg

the only problem is that when I reach 78k meters, the whole thing flips over and the heat shield acts more like an umbrella than a heat shield and then my ship blows up because of heat and aero.  I know realize that this is because my ship is unbalanced but is there anyway to save my ship without writing it off as a total loss?

Edited by flatbear

Not much excitment today in The Doc's space center. Just got some awesome shots again....

Sunrise over the Triumph of the Stars.....

1_25_Triumph.pngfree photo hosting

The tourists view from the Triumph...

1_25_the_view.pngfree image hosting

The X-2 Scooter, a very stable subsonic platform....

1_25_17_X_2_Scooter.pnghow to capture screen

and finally, returning home from the last expedition of the day....

sunset_1_25.pngimgur

finally, question: how do I get skyboxes to work? THANKS!:cool:

Edited by -M-TheDoctor

5 minutes ago, -M-TheDoctor said:

finally, question: how do I get skyboxes to work? THANKS!:cool:

Install Texture Replacer from its maintainer's GitHub.

Then find and download the skybox you want and merge its Default folder (the skybox itself) and EnvMap folder (for kerbal helmet reflections) inside GameData\TextureReplacer.