What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

bVnRiA4.png

I decided to attempt my first docking around Kerbin, I was nervous as I have never attempted such a thing (I didn't know how to use those markers, but I found out when looking through the Internet.) However, as the picture details here, I was successful!

A new Era has begun!

33 minutes ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Today, I built a monorail... To finally connect the KSC and Island Strip:

As I said over in the other thread: AWESOME!!!

Now I'm wondering if this can be extended vertically to make a space elevator...

I think @Spacetraindriver would like this. :wink: I might try to make something like this but that extends from KSC to KSC2... how did you edit the craft file for the fairings? Thanks :) 

Also, would VesselMover work with this?

5 minutes ago, cantab said:

That was awesome! I tried something similar once using Kickbacks, but didn't even get close to the island before the SPH bugged out on me.

And now I wonder. Could a planet-circling monorail be made?

Probably. It would probably depend on BDArmory's physics range, and would take hours to load. :P 

Today I rendezvoused with a pod in orbit, and rescued the kerbal stranded inside it. I am not going to post pictures, however, as, once again, this XP Trait glitch bugged me out, and I couldn't put anyone into a craft except the first kerbal in the list, and I couldn't remove him. So I had to revert back to the rescue craft's launch, and cancel the mission.

vL17r6D.jpg

Again, if anyone knows how to fix this, please help. I tried a new sandbox to see if it was only affecting my career save, and, sure enough,it was fine. So I think it has something to do with this pesky Johngard, and I think deleting him from my save file is the best option. Problem: I don't know how to delete him from my save file.

59 minutes ago, cantab said:

That was awesome! I tried something similar once using Kickbacks, but didn't even get close to the island before the SPH bugged out on me.

And now I wonder. Could a planet-circling monorail be made?

I really doubt it. I don't know how large BDArmory's physics range is, but it is certainly not larger than kerbin. Plus, the monorail needs launch clamps to stay stable and since the launch clamps do not follow the the curvature of the planet (They mount relative to a flat plane), there is no way for them to support a monorail that goes below that flat plane. Plus, you won't be able to go over land with them. If you have too many launch clamps clipping through the terrain, you will have problems.

Now, if you are thinking about building a monorail around gilly, that might be possible...

57 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

As I said over in the other thread: AWESOME!!!

Now I'm wondering if this can be extended vertically to make a space elevator...

I think @Spacetraindriver would like this. :wink: I might try to make something like this but that extends from KSC to KSC2... how did you edit the craft file for the fairings? Thanks :) 

Also, would VesselMover work with this?

Probably. It would probably depend on BDArmory's physics range, and would take hours to load. :P 

Nope, Vesselmover does not work. At all. It doesn't load the launch clamps properly so the monorail will have no supports. You might be able to make a monorail without them, but I haven't had much luck with that.

As for the fairings, it is a simple craft-file edit:

Place a fairing, but do not build it. Save the craft.

Then, open the craft file and find the code:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleProceduralFairing
		isEnabled = True
		interstageCraftID = 0
		nArcs = 2
		ejectionForce = 100
		useClamshell = False
		stagingEnabled = False
		fsm = st_idle
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
			DeployFairingAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}

Then, edit it:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleProceduralFairing
		isEnabled = True
		interstageCraftID = 0
		nArcs = 2
		ejectionForce = 100
		useClamshell = False
		stagingEnabled = False
		fsm = st_idle
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
			DeployFairingAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
		}
		XSECTION
		{
			h = 0
			r = 0.649999976
		}
		XSECTION
		{
			h = 333
			r = 0.649999976
		}
		XSECTION
		{
			h = 333.200012
			r = 0.200000003
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}

This will create a fairing that has a length of 333.2 meters, and a radius of 0.65 meters. I've found that ~300-500 meters is the limit of fairing length before you start having collision issues with the monorail car.

Just now, eloquentJane said:

Is that a hangar bay on the side? You should add an interplanetary spacecraft to it.

Already doing that! I`m making a IRSU craft so that whenever my station runs out or nears no fuel. I just send the craft to the mun, mine and return with tons of ore!

48 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Runway delivery attempt 3.

(Let's not talk about attempt 2.)

cMLGn0o.png

qkbeWz6.png

LuLvoWU.png

I'm about 1/3 the way to KSC2.

ux77dJI.png

Your patience...

What's the top speed on that thing?

Edited by AccidentsHappen

4 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I think @Spacetraindriver would like this. :wink: I might try to make something like this but that extends from KSC 

I much prefer the traditional two rail, locomotive, and train cars type. Still awesome! I guess now I have to go digging in this thread so I can give them rep Oh its right there....

I didn't do much today yet, so I'll just leave this here from yesterday...

4d086f683de7b8a1b4375335a5941f79.png

8815a01011f4285dab678558509ede43.png

I was too preoccupied with the sketchy landing to notice the fuel level. :o

Edited by Spacetraindriver

19 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Your patience...

What's the top speed on that thing?

About 12m/s + phys-warp x4. But once I leave it flying I go read a book or something and it flies all by itself. Just correcting the direction occasionally. The nice thing about blimps, self-stabilizing altitude. For now, I landed it in the middle of the desert, and I'm going to sleep.

As Manatee Station's science feed begins to slow, mission control decides to bring the team home.

MB2VPCM.jpg

An unexpectedly useful encounter prompts the return to be delayed for a few weeks while the Munbus swings past Iota, gaining some additional experience for the crew.

After several months of nagging by private investors, they finally agree to state one last mission to Ceti - this time to "bring a vessel back" from the surface. It proves a good opportunity to test out the nuclear engine that will soon be used to fling a new generation of probe between the planets!

b9qSTXB.jpg

Edited by eddiew

might be simple things for most of you ... (when i see that monorail i just say WOW !)

Made a 3 x satcom relay on a keostationary orbit ... and then realized it was useless !

Then, i sent kinda sat with science experiments around Minmus. This satellite is in 2 parts and there is a small probe that can return science to kerbin in a science container ... did it several times because i kept on failing aerobraking. The sat remains around Minmus because it has a relay antenna that can be usefull later

Afterwards, i sent first section of a 4 Kerbal manned outpost around mun dedicated to collect science from a re-usable lander and refuel it. Fuel tanks will be attached next time i play. I will also dock more of those science container probes ... so i can get max science conversion from that lander. I aim to drain the whole ground mun science that experiments i unlocked can get ! The outpost also have a relay antenna and will be part of a 100 Km munar orbit network relay

Edited by Riton Lafouine