What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I'm attempting to make a rocket SSTO in my early career to make rocket launchers cheaper. So far, my 1.875 and 2.5m SSTOs aren't working, and 1.25m is too small for my needs - constructing a space station

.hILyXha.jpg

Yesterday, however, using HLAirships and the Giving Aircraft a Purpose contract pack, I created a small airship for maritime rescue and VTOL needs:

GBBObWw.jpg

w8db1UQ.jpg

I also rescued Jaysef Kerman from orbit. The ship I used had solar panels, as it was meant to dock with the MOL and generate power for the telescope, but it didn't have enough fuel, and splashed down in the ocean.

ygkOdyO.jpg

KFnmX7y.jpg

Oh man, look at those beautiful texturereplacer reflections.

qfqwK1f.jpg

I put a couple of shuttle craft together, I'm far enough through this science career now.

This is a mun lander for ferrying Kerbals from the Mun to orbit. Has engines for VTOL underneath:

4ktt6SI.png

bZ7cxN5.png

A small shuttle, I haven't used this one yet:

YPZDg4r.png

7e9J2iO.png

Fuel carrying shuttle for rescuing stranded craft:

1aZg3gx.png

8OxZfef.png

NeKt5rX.png

32 minutes ago, Jabbman said:

A small shuttle, I haven't used this one yet:

YPZDg4r.png

Fuel carrying shuttle for rescuing stranded craft:

1aZg3gx.png

The first one I recognise from the Mk2 Expansion, but what are these other two cockpits from?

updatet my mission report...

refueled my Spaceplane in the Orbit of Tellumo and transfered Crew.

YuOH3QP.jpg

Then it went to the descent

QWUCbOn.jpg

Unhappily the parachute broke

NIms2iH.jpg

But it went well and I landed in one piece on the surface.

Vd7pMc6.jpg

I can still remember my first moon landing in the original game. I have not had a game for a long time with which I was so excited and so happy. Afterwards, every further landing on a body was never so exciting again.
Although I tested the landing on Tellumo dozens of times, I am always excited here again and again.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

I launched a Mun space station. I only got as far as a stable orbit, until I decided to get a snack. Will post pictures tommorow! I used a heavy lifter - the K-2 - to launch the station to LKO. The launcher is 2.5m in size, with more engines than the Falcon-9. Sadly, it's not reusable, but is absolutely enormous and will have no trouble in getting the station to the Mun!

n4LrCSt.jpg

I sent a Station Core to Duna to meet up with a tanker sent earlier.

screenshot1723_zpssm6ogzrr.png

Then at the next launch window I sent Duna Explorer 1 with Jeb in command.

screenshot1725_zpsepmxzrfr.png

Followed 4 days later by Duna Expedition 2 commanded by Val.

screenshot1728_zpsgcvbdf0s.png

Which ironically, ended up arriving before Duna EXP 1.

screenshot1732_zpsdjm8bti9.png

But everyone finally arrives and the team is ready for science stuff after a good nights rest.

screenshot1735_zpsd1wvucbq.png

It turns out that the K-2, the unwieldy beast she is, barely had enough fuel to make it to LKO, let alone Mun orbit. So I've come up with a new approach. I still have the MOL in orbit, its instruments fullfilling every criteria of the Mun station contract except one - get into Mun orbit. So as the MOL has completed its LKO research,  I am going to launch a tanker to orbit, along with a Mun lander, and dock them to the MOL, which I'll then transfer to Mun orbit. The K-2 program has been scrapped.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

Busy day, not many pictures. Yesterday I prototyped an Eve lander but the presence of Realistic Atmospheres ruined all my knowledge of Eve. I don't consider this a bad thing but I'm going to send a surface probe there first.

The Sarnus probe finally arrived and I made a correction burn that will bring us close to Urlum while passing by two of its satellites. I'm not sure how the power situation will play out but I might as well try. Passing by on the inside of Urlum allowed me to drop the periapsis of the probe's orbit below Jool orbit, so no matter what happens with the power I should be able to recover some science. That's two years in the future so there's plenty of other things to do in the meantime.

The fuel slugs intended for the Cascadia arrived at Moho but the intercept was much too fast for braking, they didn't have enough delta-V. I'll try again in about twenty five days, there's a much better intercept then. Cascadia has plenty of supplies left but I may also send additional foodstores considering the difficulties I'm having refueling the ship.

I also put up a relay satellite between Duna and Kerbin orbit to better serve the inner planet missions.

0RmBNqD.png

diamQ4T.png

Got my resupply flight on a path to Eve, used 2.5 Mk1 tanks of fuel for the insertion burn, so 9.5 left to brake and meet up with the ship stranded there - may or may not be enough to get it home after finishing its mission, but if not will just send another one of the same design and leave it there as a resource with the Gilly lander attached.

Dropped a modified mun lander on mun, my basic design, inefficient as it is, is roughly a science junior with three radial fuel tanks and a terrier under each, above this is a further terrier/tank/pod as a return stage. Modification was a mission to recover a kerbal at a ground base - so stripped the science out, replaced it with a service bay as a placeholder - upper stage un modified. put three girders to space the radial engines - made space for an underslung robot rover - now on mun...

The lander crashed though and ended up on its side, the reduced kerbal is currently sitting in the pod, waiting rescue, after the upper stage failed to get clear of the ground before exploding..

at this point the game crashed, again, with frozen controls so I gave up for the night 

@Jabbman love the shuttles! I've never seen the Mk2 parts used edge-on before, but with the mod cockpits you have it looks great.

@NISSKEPCSIM the strutwork on that booster brings back memories. Back in the days of 0.23 and before when we needed sooooo many struts.

@regex that's the big dish from DMagic right? Are you saying that even that would have trouble reaching Kerbin from Urlum? If so ... then my RSS plans are so screwed.

I was getting a bit overwhelmed with KSP with a game I was playing and it was becoming a bit of a chore instead of being fun. So, as a break, I decided to make it a game again. I strapped a fuel tank and LV-T45 "Swivel" on to a Mk1 Inline Cockpit. I turn on infinite fuel and electricity - and set out to tour the known Kerbol system. To date I have been of course to Kerbin and Kerbol, just by default, but also Mun, Minmus, then in to Moho before heading out to Eeloo (I plan to go back to Eeloo with a lander and visit the Kraken). From Eeloo I went back to Eve and Gilly. The trip from Gilly to Dres was surprisingly uneventful. But I did take time to plan that one.

Which leads me up to today's trip from Dres to Duna...

Maybe I am getting sloppy, but my encounter with Duna had a periapsis of close to 4 million meters  after my first burn. (I did not want to wait forever, so I lowered my periapsis to somewhere between Eve and Moho for an encounter with Duna in about 3 years.)  No big deal. As I approached, I endeavored to lower that as I got closer - when suddenly the display went haywire. How could I go from 3 million meters to crashing into the planet? It took me a minute, or actually two, to realize it was not Duna - it was an encounter with Ike...

Pure dumb luck actually. My angle was not particularity good, but it somehow took me with in about 150,000 meters of Ike,

Anyway, that is what I did today.

32352742970_a31b12a6ce_o.jpg

32579026692_64d0f3425c_o.jpg

32692121996_836e28784d_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, cantab said:

Are you saying that even that would have trouble reaching Kerbin from Urlum? If so ... then my RSS plans are so screwed.

Firstly, DMagic includes an upgrade near the end of the tech tree that increases the range of those antennas I think. Secondly, you can increase the range of all antennas in the settings screen when you create a game, which is probably a good idea to do if you're playing RSS without the full Realism Overhaul. Thirdly, there's a mod called JX2 Antenna which adds a long-distance relay antenna, though I'm not sure whether it has more range than the DMagic antennas.

37 minutes ago, cantab said:

@regex that's the big dish from DMagic right? Are you saying that even that would have trouble reaching Kerbin from Urlum? If so ... then my RSS plans are so screwed.

No, it's not a problem with the range of the antenna it's that I'm using solar panels for power.

I made a horizontal lander design for landing rovers and base modules. Jeb managed to stow away on the first test vehicle and, even though it was completely computer operated, claimed credit anyway.

mDhPPKk.jpg

Some other stuff I did:

6b9uufz.jpg

X3Lm8DU.jpg

kVPagCh.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

Year 8... Finally managed to land a probe on another planet!

p10Ds3i.jpg

3.2x Galileo's Planet Pack with 10% science is... frankly kicking my buttocks. It's so hard to send anything anywhere with the crap tech that I've got access to. Massive case of insufficient data (google the meme) :( 

Grumps aside, Mo'Dur station is now packed with ~150 datums, which will multiply to a significant 750 science points. This will be enough to unlock ion drives plus either tiny nuclear reactors (Near Future + USI variants) or gigantor solar panels. Not sure which to go with... Maybe I should save up for 5m rocketry, because I could really do with being able to launch massive, massive ships.

Also, suspicious pyramid found at the south pole of the desert planet Niven :o  Let the conspiracy theories begin.

XVgrIr2.jpg

4 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@eddiew Have you tried using a mod like M.O.L.E that adds extra low-tech stuff? I find that it's incredibly helpful for playthroughs with low science yield to have a lot of extra parts from the beginning of the tech tree.

Tbh, I might be a bit too far on for that sort of thing to help me. I'm looking at science nodes that are 550-1000 to unlock. And to be fair, I'm using Science Relay, so the majority of my probe data is coming back through an MPL and getting multiplied up to 50% of standard now. My problem is more getting to places with the crazy delta-v requirements... If I can get a chain of probes going, it'll work out eventually :) 

...and my game has deleted the rover that was en-route to Tellumo, for literally no reason :/  That's harsh...

8 minutes ago, eddiew said:

My problem is more getting to places with the crazy delta-v requirements...

You haven't adjusted mass fractions or added better isp engines to adjust for the new solar system? That's harsh, I've never understood why people play like that, the stock parts are severely gimped and it just seems to result in ridiculous part counts, especially with "LEGO tanks", for no good reason. vOv