What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I wrote a clinical audit whilst fiddling with manoeuvre nodes around Duna, absent mindedly typed "patients retrograde to clinics" 

it kind of makes sense, but don't think most clinicians are up on their orbital mechanics!

on a more annoying note:

has anyone had any issues with kerbins orbital texture been replaced by the mun's? Any suggestions please!?! I've gotta delete and reinstall something like 50mods! :'(

I've been fiddling about in the sandbox designing a mining setup...  I really should start a campaign one of these days, but I'm having so much fun in the 'box!

Because I know people will ask - the structural parts and non-stock tanks all come from Nertea's Near Future Construction pack.

The first part of the system is the Mobile Miner.  It can land on Minmus, refuel itself and stuff it's tanks with ore, and then boost into orbit to hand off the ore to a tanker.  It then returns to the surface to repeat the cycle.  It's designed to work in the background, so low extraction/processing rates aren't a problem.  (And I can/will send multiple Mobile Miners, so I'll have a stockpile.)  Fully fueled with no ore aboard, it can self ferry from LKO to Minmus.

za2BFzt.png

The tanker is fairly straightforward - an OTV with a detachable ore tank module.

CTUKuh4.png

The tanker then delivers the ore to the Orbital Refinery.  The refinery can self-ferry from LKO to Minmus, but I didn't need the full capacity of the S3-14400, so I used Modular Fuel Tanks to rejigger the tankage - reducing Oxidiser storage (what's there is just margin left over from the ferry flight), increasing Liquid Fuel storage (I carried some extra LF to refuel the OTV after it self ferries from LKO, this helps bootstrap the sequence), and adding a bit of Monopropellant tankage.  There are four Sr. docking ports available for immediate use, and four low profile octagonal ports (from NF Construction) for future expansion.  Both the refinery and power modules can be repositioned if so desired.

MtPVc9l.png

Once the fuel has been refined - the OTV docks to a fuel transfer module to deliver the fuel to other vehicles (orbiting around Minmus or in Kerbin orbit).

fIzZPJb.png

There's still quite a bit of refinement and optimization to go yet, but the basic system works quite well.

I did my first ever mission to Duna. For some reason I didn't take a screenshot of my rocket, but it looked like a beefier version of this:

DP0sfT0.jpg

I thought I might as well take a rover, whilst it would have been easier / lighter to go without I thought if I did manage to reach Duna, I would really wish I had found space to pack one...

I googled how to 'go interplanetary' in the kerbal way rather than mathematical way, which resulted in the following burn.

mkd1oDH.jpg

It's slightly pathetic but after a few years of playing kerbal on-and-off, was strange to see Kerbin shrink away and disappear altogether; kerbin had figuratively and literally been my rock for the past couple of years! Always there, always visible, and now to be surrounded by literally nothing at all for millions of miles in each direction was quite lonely! Anyway Duna finally loomed into view and I got into orbit and did some aerobraking with only a little 'hello' from Ike (in my mind Ike is like one of those little terrier dogs that will be really excited to see you and run around and generally get in the way when you're just trying to walk into your friends house!)

47EZmHI.jpg

Of course I forgot to bring parachutes, but never mind, I hear they're not necessarily essential!

I found landing on Duna quite hard and it took a few attempts. One thing to my advantage was my rover was my initial landing gear, which means I could land with some lateral movement (and just rotate so that the wheels were pointing in the direction of the lateral movement) and the just apply the brakes.

xgJNmff.jpg

nT4eXj4.jpg

I wasn't convinced I would have enough fuel for the return trip so I thought i'd make the most of my stay by driving to the northern icecap to see if they were white! After an hour of driving at ~40m/s it has been confirmed, the ice caps are indeed white.

W475UtP.jpg

I then drove back to my ship and i'm trying to get the courage to try to fly home. Thank you Rover for a safe 2h trip! B8n9owZ.jpg

Edited by Stewcumber

16 minutes ago, UnusualAttitude said:

In a spaceplane, of course. 

No, no, no...  Add wings *and* Moar Boosters and turn it into a spaceplane for maximum kerbalization!

6 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

Anyway Duna finally loomed into view and I got into orbit and did some aerobraking with only a little 'hello' from Ike (in my mind Ike is like one of those little terrier dogs that will be really excited to see you and run around and generally get in the way when you're just trying to walk into your friends house!)

Personally, I think of Ike as that nosy neighbor...  who always has to greet you and make sure you're on the up and up before letting you go about your business.   And of course when you're set to leave, he has to check up on you again.

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

Which mod do the rotating pods come out of?

JadeOfMaar is correct. The mod also has the 6-way connectors I used, a couple of which have one or two sides that are larger, which is handy both asthetically and for part count (so you don't need an adaptor).

1 hour ago, Kertech said:

has anyone had any issues with kerbins orbital texture been replaced by the mun's? Any suggestions please!?! I've gotta delete and reinstall something like 50mods! :'(

For a while I had minmus showing up with Dr. Warner Von Kermin's textures wrapped around it. I'm not sure what fixed it but yeah, been there before.

With a Jool window coming up and essentially having the technology to send Kerbals out there, I started building a ship which gets them there. Doing so, there are a few points to keep in mind: The rule of cool dictates, you can't build any given ship but need to assemble it in a way that allows for maximum awesomeness. After all, I guess, I will have to live with it for a while - my last Duna trip took me about 10 Months real life and Jool seems to be a bit further out....

Ok, let me level with you all. I changed my 3.2x config because it was making me unhappy. Stock parts with extra-large planets demands a utility-driven approach to spacecraft design. You have to make ships the way you have to make them, and you basically aren't going to do spaceplanes ever. On the other hand, 1x didn't seem like much of a challenge, so instead I now have this weird setup where planets are at 1x size, but the sun and all orbits are at 3.2x. I did say it was weird. The effect is that transfers are equally or more expensive vs standard 3.2x, while launch and descent costs are completely standard for GPP.

This means that it is a really good idea to do things in the way that real missions tend to get planned, i.e. you leave your transfer stage in orbit. I've historically tended to do that anyway, but now it's basically mandatory because the return delta-v even from the nearest planet is chasing 4km/s. That is a lot of fuel to carry down to the surface of at atmospheric world where nervas don't work efficiently. In short terms, do it like Apollo, or gtfo.

On the other hand, spaceplanes - which I haven't used yet this year because they don't work in 3.2x - are viable lifters from here on. And yes I do want to get back to using them where I can because I miss my unflappy birds. They will however have to lift satellites that pack enough delta-v to get through a 3.2x interplanetary transfer, which means I'll have to design for big cargo spaces, and will be a new challenge :) 

Meantime, I'm sending out a mission that is almost entirely unchanged from the last because, as said above, transfer costs are at least 3.2x equivalent. The lander this time is smaller than last, because it can be, and the launch stage (not shown) is about half the size. 

There's a rover in this one though, so there's that.

U3n1C5s.jpg

93vmZe1.jpg

Edited by eddiew

Found a B class asteroid with an orbit very suitable for capture (400km Pe, Ap right out of Kerbin SOI, almost polar inclination)... So I decided to launch the first asteroid mission of the career save :)

The capture ship is unmanned, basically a big tank with a 455s isp Lox/LH2 engine, RCS and reaction wheel.

Timed launch was nominal, after a couple of small corrections I matched planes and asteroid periapsis. Now I'll wait some days for a final periapse kick to reduce relative velocity at rendezvous.

Approach manouvers are planned to use 420m/s of deltaV, so depending on the asteroid mass (still unknown) I will have between 1830 and 716 m/s available for capture and orbit modification. Should be enough to obtain a stable equatorial orbit with Pe 500km and Ap lower than Mun SOI.

Spoiler

LEaLub3.png

LZEX58P.png

B2YmuLi.png

MEfy1aY.png

Edited by Hesp

Today I started to upgrade my mothership with a probe, a tug and crew. Another probe and a rover are still to come. Then refueling and it can go back to the trip.

A1WXRa6.jpg

I also accepted an interesting order.

nxfgsP0.jpg

I want to do it with this thing. And the 4 rallys of the upper picture I can do at the same time. money...money...money

33w6vpE.jpg

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

Soo.. Been a while since i posted as i was letting KER and a couple other mods i use catch up on versions :) 

Started a New career yesterday did the standard to atmos, to obit to mun flyby and then decided that i had the tech for a Munar Landing. I was wrong. So i built what i thought would work as a launcher/lander and took Jeb with me. So we got there and landed. I planted a flag vDrV0w3.jpg

And Jeb is now currently stuck on the Mun because like an  idiot i broke the engine on landing and run out of fuel on landing. (hence why the engine broke.)

So with this i went to do the sensible thing send the science back so i could save him. And.... realized that i hadn't put an antenna on the ship... 

As a way of gaining science to get the components i need to save Jeb i decided to do a minmus fly by. and built the following ship. 

NDAAmDw.jpg

I kept having the issue of wavering on take off as i forgot that i needed a gimbal engine to launch... so i replace the 4 asparagus engines into Swivel engines. This helped solve the problem along with adding some wings. 

So i flew to Minmus and got my science probably not the best RV i could have had but i got orbit and then carried on with the science mission. jaxpiCQ.jpg

this gave me nearly enough science for the tech but i had to build a small rover and put Bob in and drove round the KSC grabbing any additional science i missed the first time. 

So yeah i have built a new ship for use when i try and save JEb it could be interesting. I have to try and get as close to Jeb as i can. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. :)

7 hours ago, McFarnsworth said:

Testing a wee rover/refueler for Minmus. Not sure yet how I'm going to get it over there though.

Launch it into space. That's what I'd do. E: I see you did that. Good job.

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

On the other hand, 1x didn't seem like much of a challenge, so instead I now have this weird setup where planets are at 1x size, but the sun and all orbits are at 3.2x. I did say it was weird.

It's not weird at all. In fact, it makes a bit more sense considering the Sun is the only body in the Kerbol system that doesn't roughly follow the Earth/Kerbin scaling and the Mun is stupidly close to Kerbin.

Edited by regex

With liberal application of TweakScale, I made a (relatively) tiny racing quadcopter.  It weighs in at < 50kg, costs < 5,000 credits, and is shorter than a Kerbal.  So far, I've yet to find any way to make it even smaller.

c1OqXbq.jpg

Regardless, it packs a tidy TWR of 4.3 with the tiny electric propellors, and due to most of the mass being battery, it can stay in the air for longer than I can keep it undamaged (10 minutes+ would put me at maybe half battery).

zYcFx2j.jpg

Not terribly useful, but quite fun to fly :)

Edited by Slam_Jones

Today I met with the Mun issue like a couple other folks did and tried to help others to cure it.

But then I realized that MM also means Mischief Maker and that the whole deal was a Non issue.

If this kinda thing happens on Valentine's Day, imagine the actual April Fool's special....

This is my face right now, expecting it, so into Photoshop I went!

P3hEzuH.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I have been trying to get a second installation of KSP for RO. First time downloaded every mod I could find and wanted on the RO debugging spreadsheet. My game broke so I re-installed the KSP clone with fewer mods and I built a rocket that could easily get to LEO with a somewhat small payload. It never got out of the atmosphere because my game was going at frames per. minute at this rate. So either playing at lower graphics quality will fix it or my computer is slower than an ion engine. I also have a terrible engine selection! Most of the good vacuum engines have only one ignition! Hopefully cryogenic engines can solve that. Also I love procedural fairings! I wish stock fairings worked that way or looked as good! Great mod! Totally recommended!

Also @hellblazer is a legend!

Fire

Edited by Firemetal