What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.1.3) Yesterday began with the departure of Next Objective from the Munport space station. Pilot Jenwin Kerman executed a burn to put the craft on a trajectory out of Mün's SOI and will make a secondary burn to intercept Minmus when the craft reaches the descending node in a few hours. Next Objective is scheduled to arrive at Minmus in about fifteen days. Meanwhile, all available remaining fuel at Munport was transferred to Strange Cargo, which was also docked at the station. There was only sufficient fuel to give Strange Cargo 2/3 of her fuel load, so the Old Bessie 7 fuel hauler was dispatched to the Piper Alpha refinery, originally touching down about three kilometers away. I decided to try to see if the crane rover MIRV would be capable of picking up Old Bessie and moving it to the refinery, so I had engineer Liztha Kerman get out of the refinery and drive over. It rapidly became abundantly clear that the boom arm on the rover wasn't tall enough for the job, and so Old Bessie lifted off and flew the remaining distance to the refinery. Liztha and MIRV returned for the refueling operation, and then Liztha recharged the refinery's fuel stores to full. Old Bessie then returned to Munport and Strange Cargo was refueled. Strange Cargo is scheduled for departure from Munport at the next opportunity; it too will be heading to Minmus. I will probably then make another run or two down to Piper Alpha while there is still daylight there, to prepare for future Münar expeditions.

Not a whole lot else going on. Still awaiting the first of the correction burns for the Duna expedition and the return of Tater Catcher 7 to Kerbin's SOI.

We are getting ready; ready to launch a number of ships to Duna and its moon, Ike.  Before this happens though, we need to recall all hands that are currently assigned here at home and at the stations orbiting our moons.  We received one last contract for Minmus operations, to collect five gravity readings on the surface.  A few days ago we had put the ship that will complete this mission into LKO, and now we had to populate it with our newest recruit so he could gain a little experience.  The newly rescued astronaut had been picked up earlier, and docked with the mission ship.  Then off to our mint moon he went, docking to the station there where he picked up another previously rescued new recruit in need of experience.  After refueling they promptly touched down on the surface at the appropriate places and did took the readings.  They then docked back to Minmus Stayshun, boarded our nuc shuttle bus that was docked at our second Minmus station along with the scientists who were stationed there, and headed back to the home planet.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-17%20at%205.52.1 

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-17%20at%206.14.3 

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-17%20at%206.15.0 

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-17%20at%206.37.4 

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-20%20at%205.06.3 

As you know we also had a crew of four loitering around Mun.  They also returned to Kerbin Stayshun, and the remaining crew (3 pilots) at Minmus Stayshun returned in the first mission ship.  So now all our astronauts in the local system are 250 km above ground, waiting to return and put their feet on Kerbin's solid ground.  We'll take this opportunity to experiment with a large drop ship using the new big habitat module, perhaps the big inflatable heat shield too.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-20%20at%206.16.4 

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-20%20at%206.46.0 

Spent yesterday tuning a PID loop for my Saturn VB autopilot script in kOS and getting no results.  I hope today is different, and I hope I'm doing the tuning properly.  Maybe fixing the severe oversteer I get from commanding a roll to a Eastern heading is easier than PID tuning.

(It's RSS/RO, not stock).

Edited by Nittany Tiger

21 hours ago, eddiew said:

Sent an aggressively styled ship to a potential first contact.

XCPEOyk.jpg

dJUcSuX.jpg

Perhaps fortunately, all the crew makes contact with is green goo.

Hmm...just a few SF references going on here. The two-part ship design is reminiscent of the Jedi ships used in the 1st three SW movies. And...the "guy with the spear" reference reminded me of Excession by Iain M Banks.   Great designs  :)

Time for some biome hopping! First, the coasts and oceans.

Hm9j43h.jpg

Although it turns out it would take hours to reach the actual ocean biome, so we settle for a cup of saltwater to take home.

KgJyImZ.jpg

That... that doesn't look very safe.

JIBNe3b.jpg

Retreating southwards with alacrity, the crew find a nice green hillside on which to deploy their drills overnight. Nothing like the sound of clanking, grinding machinery to lull a kerbal to sleep.

CaPkxC0.jpg

The next morning... we discover yet another suspicious structure. Mission control is starting to think we weren't the only ones to consider that Rald might make a good launch base for access to Tellumo!

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Hmm...just a few SF references going on here. The two-part ship design is reminiscent of the Jedi ships used in the 1st three SW movies. And...the "guy with the spear" reference reminded me of Excession by Iain M Banks.   Great designs  :)

Haven't read Excession - definitely ripped off Star Wars though :D  Thanks!

2 hours ago, joacobanfield said:

I started career mode, and managed to put a small probe in orbit of Kerbin that collects science data and relays it back to Kerbin. It has already paid for itself several times over.

Next stop: Space Station!

So I say hello and welcome to the Forum. I myself have not been here for a long time, but I have only met nice people here. You can have a lot of fun here and learn a lot from the experienced participants.

Then I show you all what I have done today:

My SSTO for Gratian is probably ready for series. Since I like to use ISRU, I have attached the appropriate equipment. A further LVN, cabins and science equipment. Here is a picture of the test run on Gratian.zDuYaWd.jpg

In addition, I managed to hide the ISRU unit well, so that it does not slow down the aircraft. For drilling, however, you have to retract the rear landing gear. But it works very well. At the first try I still had 500 m/s dV left in orbit. I think that's enough.

4BzO5tp.jpg

Now I just have to find a way how I can get it from Gael to orbit. The rest manages it alone.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

Yesterday I launched my Mun station as I had a contract on testing the kickback booster, and this gave me enough power to lift it away from Kerbin.
Now i just need to send a lander up there so I can get from all Muns biomes, and not just midland craters.

mcazPbP.png

When it then came to actually testing the booster I made I first plane in this career save, I was so amazed that it worked only after the second launch.

SxSncuH.png

I even landed it very short from the KSC, but it has no controllable wheels, and a very long braking time, so it drove for some time.

PsCQzgQ.png

Today Gergard got to Minmus and collected a lot of science. This enabled me to research docking ports and RCS, so now I have the needed things to send my Mun lander up to my station.
More pictures in the spoiler:

Spoiler

After visiting the low- and highlands, I sent Gergard to one last landing at the greater flats. But just as he was ready to take a surface sample, the Kraken came and tipped his ship over.

WCIDSBy.png

But it must have tipped it over itself,  because mid-fall it suddenly tipped the other way, nearly hitting Gergard.

LU8P9rs.png

Even though the Kraken didn't manage to crush Gergard, it still made it impossible for him to get home as it tipped the ship hatch down.

tEeEFSS.png

But luckily Gergard was smart enough to trick the Kraken, so he quickly closed the service bay flipping the rocket on the other side, and maybe even hitting the Kraken. But anyway, he got quickly in and took off before the Kraken could play any other tricks on him.

tZCGtHx.png

On only a day after he was safely flying though the atmosphere of his beloved home planet once again.

GOGruos.png

I assume that it's Planetshine that's giving your plane that red tint @astroheiko . If that's the case, what your settings?
Cause even though my ships above Minmus and Duna look beautiful, I get nowhere near this effect.

Edited by Flamingo

7 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

Iassume that it's Planetshine that's giving your plane that red tint @astroheiko . If that's the case, what your settings?
Cause even though my ships above Minmus and Duna look beautiful, I get nowhere near this effect.

Uh ... No idea. I play the mod "GalileosPlanetPack" and have actually only taken everything as it was described in the installation instructions.

I have copied the config for Planet shine. Here's the data:

PlanetShine
{
BaseAlbedoIntensity = 0.24
VacuumLightLevel = 0.03
UseAreaLight = True
BaseGroundAmbient = 0.6
MinAlbedoFadeAltitude = 0.02
MaxAlbedoFadeAltitude = 0.1
MinAmbientFadeAltitude = 0
MaxAmbientFadeAltitude = 0.1
AlbedoRange = 10
GroundAmbientOverrideRatio = 0.6
UseVertex = True
UpdateFrequency = 2
Quality = 1
StockToolbarEnabled = True
}

I hope this helps

Greetings

A fair amount of activity around the system in my career game in the last few days.

On Kerbin a vehicle was launched to recover a command seat that someone carelessly left in Mun orbit. At least they were willing to pay for the service.

ofoQ9W5.png

On Eve kerbalkind's first data from the surface of the purple enigma was acquired, when this little fella coasted down to a soft touchdown.

GkZGbdx.png

A similar probe touched down within hours (well months for Kerbals... multiply by 37 and divide by the price of cabbage for those I think) on sunny Moho.

SjXnzAW.png

Finally... it was time for the plucky crew of one of Duna 1, to fire up the nuke and get on the move after the months of waiting that had followed their exciting trip to the surface.

hPRbtsv.png

It's Year 50, day 391 of the Kerbal Space Age. After a surprisingly short 3-day flight, the Fifth Interplanetary Expedition has reached Vall.

(Previously: Jool - Pol - Bop - Tylo)

5HXOn7J.jpg

Though the transfer was short, the encounter was awkward and we burned lots of fuel to enter orbit. Let's see if we can get some on this Duna-sized snowball.  

kfPJ7Qu.jpg

The last of the four survey satellites is deployed in a polar orbit around Vall, and the Explorer prepares for landing!

0WVBABN.jpg

Vall is awesome. So better than Minmus. But wait... Where has all the fuel gone?!..

iXpTcR9.jpg

First kerbals on Vall.

B557CDx.jpg

We landed in an abundant spot, so it took less than six hours to refill the (almost empty) fuel tanks and get 1200 spare ore. Unfortunately, all that ore was expended to cover the fuel costs of getting into orbit, with next to nothing reaching the mothership!

1ureg5I.jpg

So, Vall is not feasible as a resupply spot. Just as expected. The nuclear engines still can land you here and get back to space, but refueling the mothership with ore from Vall is impractical to impossible. A pity, I really like this ice world.

Now, onwards to Laythe.

Edited by Haruspex

A long time ago, in a galaxy Kraken knows where...

I sent four Kerbals on their maiden voyage to the red planet.

jEQMASv.png

They have completed all tasks needed to be done on their mission.

But everything has to end. And so has their mission.

After over 2.5 year journey, here they are, in the inner parts of Kerbin system.

16819304_1279834962085505_29531001609113

Getting a close Mun flyby, which helped them a bit with slowing down.

16804354_1279835382085463_38428898351462

And few hours later, there, in a bit eccentric orbit around home planet.

16797826_1279835608752107_29418518317921

Fresh return rocket waiting for launch at sunrise.

16804170_1279835912085410_67870176755205

Brave crew slowly coming down after rendezvous, transfer, return burn and routine re-entry.
16819512_1279836512085350_67643108953918

Finally splashed down in warm waters of Kerbin sea. Again, at sunrise.

16826005_1279836858751982_52274969692285

Historic mission has ended, as it was first interplanetary crewed mission in my personal history.

Edited by The Aziz

Completed the assembly in LEO of my very first Moon lander. Next stop: The Moon!

Next stop: The Moon

Near to far: Queen lander, Rick Astley orbiter with two Stratovarius drop tanks, part-full upper stage from the Rick Astley launch.

EDIT: @Flamingo love the part test plane! Reminds me of one I did back in the day, mounting a Mammoth with a nosecone atop a 2.5m fuselaged plane, looked so lulzy but worked great.

Edited by cantab

I finished up the adapter part that goes from my classic hex truss system to the new D2 truss system:

NSznKU0.png

Then I sent DSEV's Discovery II reference design to Jool so that I can re-calibrate the Supernova's delta-v:

You can change the nose art by creating custom flags...

jAnPucw.png

lBaiZaN.png

4GHA8SG.png

Q1h1Blw.png

As with the NASA Discovery II mission, the reference design will need a refueling stop at a Joolian moon. She's currently headed to Vall:

L3pRwsg.png