What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Created and attempted to expand a duna station. The expansion pieces never made it there as I miscalculated the landing site compared to planetary rotation. After about half an hour of driving, I gave up. 

Then I installed Extraplanetary Launchpads and tried to figure out how they worked.

Sold out research rights to get enough money for a mun launch and designed a ship to get there. 

Now I am about to land the base on the Mun and expand it for free without having to launch rockets. Extraplanetary Launchpads really helps

Yesterday I arrived in the Otho system. When I get into a system for the first time, I always place 2 Polar Relays with a high AP around the mother planet. Augustus can be seen in the center below. I have to do a lot of maneuvers because my relays can only do 250 m/s in one piece, therefore they have total of 10000 m/s dV and fit into the Cargobay

xp2qZkX.jpg

During this time I sent the mother ship to Jannah. On the picture is Jannah in the foreground, then Ciro, Otho and on the right Augustus.

Tmfnvnj.jpg

When circling I then still made this picture for you. At the back you can see Otho and the moon Augustus. He just throws his shadow on Otho.

pOA2R0j.jpg

After that I have the rover mounted on the lander and prepared everything for the landing.

7R0k2Mw.jpg

01B2wQj.jpg

A beautiful little moon with low gravity. That's how I like it.

Uvf8Fzk.jpg

Greetings

I went to orbit today, using only five parts, just because I was bored. Boredom is a huge source of creativity sometimes!

4wRB6sG.png

There is the fully assembled craft. Likely the most inefficient design, but a design nonetheless.

sklF3v7.png

Blast off!

JQH912h.png

Full, stable orbit achieved at 86 km altitude. I even deorbited the vehicle, but I could not land it because of a lack of parachutes. I did originally not even want to go into space, I just wanted to see what the jettison action group is for!

I also made a rover with VTOL capability for a future small mission I am preparing. To my surprise, it is powerful enough to even fly on Kerbin, so the planned decent down to lunar surfaces should not be too difficult.

ortoio0.png

P.S. I am having trouble with my imgur account for some reason, it only shows that the image I am requesting is no longer available. I can still post it though. Did it get deleted or something?

Done in KSP 1.0.5. Sandbox. No mods used.

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. 71% strength on the connection to my Mars relay sat, compared to 1% via the single-dish solar orbit relay. Now I don't need to worry about my Mars probes losing signal. Well, except for when KSC is facing the other way! I'll have to be careful, but it's still better than nothing.

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid

I'm still waiting for that transfer window to send my manned mission to Duna, but a Jool transfer window opened up so I decided to get some probes on their way to the (Hopefully) Jolly Green Giant.

CZD6Kzg.png

That's one of my nuclear tugs, retrofitted with some extra detachable fuel tanks and with the solar panels replaced with an RTG. It's carrying two identical satellites consisting of a RA-100 relay, a set of surface scanners and assorted scientific instruments. The primary mission is to get one of these satellites into a polar orbit over either Pol or Bop (depending on which one I can get to most easily) and then, if I've still got enough fuel left, to send the remaining one into a polar orbit over Laythe. If I don't have enough fuel for the trip to Laythe I'll just have both satellites sit in orbit over the initial moon until a mining base can be sent over allowing the tug to be refuelled.

Made this:

dU96QUg.png

That's a three-pack of early-tree SRBs from Blue Dog. Why do I have three of them under the plane? I'll give you a hint... the plane is named Blackout 1 for a reason. :cool:

Insane G-forces aside, the basic design is solid. Stall speed is ~25 m/s, top speed in level flight is around 100 m/s, and handles quite well, especially with Atmospheric Autopilot. Typical flight time on a tourist flight is a touch under 3 minutes from starting the takeoff roll to wheels stop. And with that low stall speed and the somewhat nuts acceleration from the prop engines alone, she most certainly qualifies as a STOL platform. :wink:

Edited by MaverickSawyer

I took off and flew where the great river divideth on Gael. It looks like a fitting place for Hydro Thunder! epic boat racing. Cruised at Mach 2 or 3 for several minutes, maybe a half hour, exploring and beholding.

8L7xiL5.jpg

Wanted to land on that tiny isle in the river but this craft's not prepared for that and I didn't feel like using VesselMover and HyperEdit.

Dw8Avs3.jpg

Finally I came down seaside and found a place with the gentlest of slopes to land at after flying and exploring for a good while...

Nailed it!™

yzzRGOF.jpg

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I took off and flew where the great river divideth on Gael. It looks like a fitting place for Hydro Thunder!

Free demo on Xbox 360 was I played of it.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Working on another SSTO...

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: airplane

- Jett

Very impressive! Crew capacity?

I've been having fun with my mobile Minmus mining mammoth...

LhCGPE7.jpg

Most of my space travel infrastructure is cheap and reusable, but the cost of hauling propellant from the surface of Kerbin was a big expense. This spacecraft as well as the freighters that shuttle propellant around the Kerbin system now make things much more economical. The one sacrifice to gameplay convenience is the freighter heat shield, which needs to be replaced periodically.

4nSVafl.jpg

Hmm, getting my Mun Lab into orbit turned out to be trickier than i expected. The lab weighed 10t plus 6 tons of tug to get it from LKO to Mun Orbit. Shoving that much mass through Kerbals atmosphere proved too much for my fledgling Space Agency. Got to about 2.5k ASL and it tipped over, many attempts later I was able to reach 15km before it it tipped. At this point I decided that boosting both items in one launch was too much.

Splitting the lab section and the tug proved much more agreeable. Though the lab was still a pig of a launch with it ending up in a 135km/90km orbit. Once the tug was in orbit a major design flaw emerged. The reaction wheel inbuilt into the probe body was simply too feeble to handle the fully loaded tug. Turning was a nightmare. Engaging RCS solved that but it did burn through a lot of monoprop.

Plotting a rv between the tug and the lab was a bit of a nightmare, I do not think it could have aligned their respective orbits worse. After an hour of faffing about with nodes (made bearable with the mod Precise Maneuver cos trying to be accurate when your mouse scroll wheel has died is not fun). The best I could do was 20km separation with a 220m/s velocity difference. The actual rendevous and docking (my 4th) were surprisingly straight forward. One lesson I did learn from my first lab was lighting. Placing lights pointing at the approaches to the docking clamps helps prevent those embarrassing bumps in the night.

Getting ready to leave LKO heading to wards an encounter with Mun

cDk9uTB.png

Currently its now in Mun orbit, and I am rotating out the crew from my Kerbal space lab so that they can man the Mun mission. Today I will launch the new improved lander and science crew to MunLabOne

Last night I took a scientist to the surface of Minmus. Val piloted the lander. The scientists chosen landing spot was on the edge of two biomes so with one little hop I got over 600 science! 

Unfortunately again I had to abandon the lander in orbit. I completely goofed and put a rockomax decoupler on the wrong way, effectively making the docking port inaccessible!  Dammit man. 

I really need to include basic KIS/KAS tools on every flight.

Jeb will go back and ferry Bob and Bill down to the surface of Minmus next so they can get their 2nd star. Then hopefully I can unlock the rest of the parts I need to complete a K&K planetary base.

Edited by SickSix

Haven't had much time so this has taken place over the last few days.

My original visit with Niven went poorly. I had three probes land on the surface and their transfer stage was to remain in orbit and act as an intermittent relay so I could transfer the small amount of science they gathered and fulfill a contract. Only I put the wrong antenna on the transfer stage and it's now essentially worthless. It's now the next transfer window so I've launched my two standard relay packages. Each has three relays, the first is for low equatorial orbit and the second is for high polar orbit and is the main communication with Gael. I've also sent my standard ScanSat probe and a probe designed to test DV requirements for returning to orbit. The latter has a transfer stage that should be able to bring it home to fulfill another contract. We'll see if I have time to fine tune my encounters tonight.

Following up on my teal box mod part from a few weeks ago, I've made a propeller part that works anywhere with an atmosphere*. I discovered IntakeAir can be used as long as checkForOxygen = false in ModuleResourceIntake. Thrust curves and the like need tweaking, but it flies.

xndL03p.png

MDojdb8.png

*tested on Duna, but since Duna has no oxygen and it works, it should work elsewhere.

Deorbited my O-zone station with an SSTO and landed in dangerous enviroment.

The story-

O-zone station faded away and small SSTO flung away into the darkness,while the pieces and bits that broke free from the station were falling to their imminent doom....

Razor sharp peaks and mountains were looking at little SSTO violently and cruely. 

Fear ate the hearts of kerbonauts but when the fear comes it brings seriousness with itself.

SSTO landed, and 30 seconds of clear silence appeared, engines stopped , heartbeat was muted,so were engines.

But in the distance, where there is no fear and misfortune, sun was shining, it lit the grass,the mountains and every small tree on the ground. Giving new hope.......

GMVuWVx.png

here is the flag....

Ts6fTWn.png

Wow, pixies,placebo and radiohead affect my mind like we do with our minds of kerbals.....

(just a quick question-Would you like me to do more of those poetrcic stories?

Edited by cratercracker

I will never...

Landed on Deimos. Spot Phobos!

That is Deimos, the smaller moon of Mars and the smallest and lightest body in standard RSS. Surface gravity of 0.00034 g and an escape speed of 6 - yes, six - m/s. For comparison the gravity on Gilly is 15 times stronger, and the gravity on Minmus 150 times stronger. I wasn't even sure if my probe would ever come to rest on Deimos, but with a bit of waiting and delicate reaction wheel turning it did.

At least the RSS folks did give Deimos sensible timewarp limits.

Bonus: See if you can spot Phobos, Mars's other moon, in the picture!

1 hour ago, SchwinnTropius said:

Following up on my teal box mod part from a few weeks ago, I've made a propeller part that works anywhere with an atmosphere*. I discovered IntakeAir can be used as long as checkForOxygen = false in ModuleResourceIntake. Thrust curves and the like need tweaking, but it flies.

xndL03p.png

MDojdb8.png

*tested on Duna, but since Duna has no oxygen and it works, it should work elsewhere.

Thats cool! You are going to publish that for public consumption right?

1 minute ago, SickSix said:

Thats cool! You are going to publish that for public consumption right?

Maybe, if I can make a prettier model and get a few other parts put together for a pack. I just started modelling a few weeks ago, I'm not quite ready yet to release stuff for public consumption, not until it looks pretty. :) 

22 minutes ago, cantab said:

Bonus: See if you can spot Phobos, Mars's other moon, in the picture!

I think there is a suspicious dark speck (just a few pixels in size) in the upper part of the planet - something that may be in front of it not on the surface.

Yeah, the larger moon of Mars is not that large either

Launched another hardware stack for assembly in Minmus orbit. (You can safely ignore the debris cloud in the background, I'm sure nothing of importance fell off)

dMf1HgC.png

LtZd5r3.png

Nope, I should not have expected a single Poodle to be able to shove this thing into orbit.

8PQwrss.png

And docked in Minmus orbit. Time to move some bits around.

Qeu4CJJ.png

Snuffles has returned with precious fuel. My laptop is beginning to dislike this many parts on one ship.

dPWfDmQ.png

It's a bit crap, but I am so happy I brought this little tug along.

OLiqU8K.png

67Ot9XG.png

All done. Now where's Val with that damn spaceplane?

Pr3h6FK.png

On her way, but late. Instead of firing the nukes she ejected 4 Rapiers by accident. Funny, but not conductive to a successful mission. (And nobody tell her or the rest of the crew I haven't tested reentry with this plane, but I'm sure it'll be fine ... probably)

BCOS2Pd.png