What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

14 hours ago, winged said:

MAV and Copernicus MTV:

3VLcP4Q.png

Which mod part pack?

5 hours ago, Salvator said:

Hi, have you tried the UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued mod? That could help you with your problem i think.

Yes, I should weld the eye-candy together but other things have to be left alone because of function.  It would also be easier if more parts had tweakscale enabled.  My lithium tanks are one of the offenders.

Edited by Bornholio
composite

Not much is currently happening at KSC the past while, at least in terms of missions needing attention.  There are actually plenty of missions underway but they are all on holding patterns.  For instance, we have 4 ships transitting to Duna and are now about 100 days away from arrival.  Two other ships are also in flight towards their destinations but won't arrive for even longer.  We recently just accepted a contract to haul a class A asteroid into Kerbin orbit, which fits nicely along with two other contracts for class D rocks.  But our F.O.O.D. department has yet to spot suitably sized candidates so yet again we wait.  Therefore, almost out of boredom, the department heads accepted a trivial mission to rescue a rival company's engineer who they left hopelessly stranded in LKO.

This opportunity was taken to design a ship around a new concept, which we are calling SIOP - Stay In One Piece.  We wanted to try to build a ship that is all one stage, won't shed any parts or drop engines or some such nonsense.  The only exception to this concept is fairing covers but those come cheap and manage to evaporate into thin space, so we don't care about those.  And we succeeded!

Before launching this new ship we first picked up our new recruit in Flubber, our LKO picker-upper ship designed for exactly this purpose that has been loitering for over 300 days now, occasionally picking up and transferring astronauts from one place to another.  Then we launched our newest creation.  It features 4 Reliant engines surrounding a large fuel core, a command module seating 2 even though it can also be remote controlled, a junior docking port, 8 parachutes and a big ole inflattable heat shield for re-entry.  The pictures below describe its ascent, gaining orbit, docking with Flubber, and coming back dow to splash down to the west of our complex here.  It's not yet perfect, there are some refinements we will do on future versions to maximise fuel usage and perhaps have enough left over to do a powered landing on solid ground, but we pulled this mission of successfully, proving the SIOP concept and saving some funds in the process!

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.00. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.04. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.21. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.22. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.26. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.30. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.34. 

Under the heading of "You got to be freakin' kidding me", it's gone. It's all gone. Yesterday, I sent Jeb up in Unnamed craft to 120k. Val followed at 80k in Unnamed craft. So maybe I should have named them Jeb1 and Val1 but I didn't. I was determined to learn to rendezvous. Using Precise Nodes I locked in a maneuver node that brought the two ships within 1k of each other. Good start. Then I had company and had to quit. Today I fired up KSP and immediately ran into problems. Everything was in super slooooow moootiooonn. Eventually the game crashed. Restarted. Crashed again. Restart and had warnings that various ships couldn't load because some parts were missing. What? There was no abort load option. only an ok button.  Game loads and everything, ship, lander, rover, and flag,  I had ever placed in the game is gone. GONE! 

I notice there are backup persistence files - even a couple from yesterday. I now have to figure out how to restore one of them. 

Edited by Red Shirt

Got a hard and a good day...

1. Visited Veluchinks Peak ( that is how i call a sharp mountain, a part of the mountaint chain near the KSC)

Kv7prYp.png

2. Tested new suborbital spaceplane- not good enough for now, needs improvement.

5ghTgOX.png

3/4 Flights of two rockets that will start the new age in private spaceflight

"Argon" and "Blue ghost"

2EJW67Q.pnglUeClvI.png

Carried two capsules- Mk-1EUNLS (engine upgrade + new landing system) and Mk-1-New dawn modification.

wIarjSj.pngUEulr4C.png

That is it for today!

18 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

I Built an Indiana-Class battleship and I am still planning it as my main class of battleship and making the USS Evansville the flagship.

[Edited by adsii1970 - removed the image]

You wouldn't happen to live in Evansville, Indiana, would you? If so... hi neighbor!

What I did in KSP today/yesterday:

I began working on the images for the next installment of Kerny's journal. The light cruiser, URKN Sinaan, arrives at dawn for a much needed port call in its maiden voyage around Kerbin.

RU6rIZR.jpg

An early morning air patrol conducted around the KSC easement area reports nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary while on the first leg of its patrol.

WBUQm0c.jpg

44 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

<snip />

I notice there are backup persistence files - even a couple from yesterday. I now have to figure out how to restore one of them. 

It's already a .SFS file, so you should just be able to pick one and rename it "persistent", assuming you're running the game in Windows. Might want to make a backup copy of the...backup copy, I guess, just in case it turns out I'm a raging idiot who likes to watch it all burn...

I built and launched a little ion tug so to move my Hubble telescope up to a higher orbit. All went well until I undocked the tug. I'd left SAS on course hold, and while undocking the telescope, also on course hold, it swung around smashing into the tug and obliterating its solar panels (it also took out two of the tug's four panels).

Doh.

I ended up deorbiting the whole mess.

I still have a Duna encounter coming up; I've been patiently waiting on a ship on its way out there. Let's see what kind of trouble I can get into with that.

Edited by LordFerret

3 hours ago, Salvator said:

Well it still should help at least a little bit :)

Advice taken, need to be careful what gets welded or access is lost to functions (two cargo bays lose open/close of one of the doors), but darn that worked great for lag killing.  Broke it up into functional blocks and part count down to about 30.  I'll probably end up with closer to 70 to maintain functions.  one part did disappear ( a nuclear power plant)

53 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

It's already a .SFS file, so you should just be able to pick one and rename it "persistent", assuming you're running the game in Windows. Might want to make a backup copy of the...backup copy, I guess, just in case it turns out I'm a raging idiot who likes to watch it all burn...

Yep, it was pretty easy. Got everything back. Terminated Unnamed crafts. Jeb and Val died in vain as I am still having problems. I may have to grab my Steam copy and do a clean install. Precise Node and Kronkus are the only mods I have added lately and all was fine for several days with them on board, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Yep, it was pretty easy. Got everything back. Terminated Unnamed crafts. Jeb and Val died in vain as I am still having problems. I may have to grab my Steam copy and do a clean install. Precise Node and Kronkus are the only mods I have added lately and all was fine for several days with them on board, so who knows.

It's at this point that I'd be editing the save file to make them un-dead :) 

My Mothership with the fat-headed little green people arrived at Gauss.

8QnksnG.jpg

I have the two relays exposed ....

je91kJR.jpg

... and heading for Catullus.

VxXr147.jpg

Aerobraking at Catullus is not so highly recommended, with a lot of patience but it works.

znX7Pt5.jpg

Now I just have to wait for the Lander, he's still on the way.

More pictures and details can be found here:

A Journey to Gauss

Greetings

Learned a powerful lesson about drag...

VsXqBIf.jpg

Previous version of the Drake tried to cram a mk1 and 4x mk0 fuel cans into a mk2 cargo bay. It looked good from the outside, but the drag/shielding model really didn't work out, and it needed the nerva to kick it through the mach barrier with the whole thing arriving in LKO with only 500m/s left.

The new edition is 2 tons heavier, goes transonic in a 15 degree climb at 5km, hits 1500m/s on-air and arrives in low orbit with around 1900m/s left in the tank. Just by shifting those internal tanks to be part of the fuselage and nacelles. Sure, it carries a little extra fuel, but not 1.4km/s worth... From here on I will perform better drag analyses of my spaceplanes, because by golly it makes a difference when you get it right! Could quite probably add a mk2 docking port and some RCS thrusters and still get to orbit :) 

Minor design error; there's a lot of roll surfaces, with the result that Drake II has major oversteer on re-entry. Easily fixed by dialling them down in the SPH, but mildly alarming when performing barrel rolls at 100m from the runway.

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Thank god everything works again.

So:

Red Shirt makes everything broken. First Bill ... now the probe ...And now also the whole program - He does not do half things

XKCD gave me some inspiration. I did this with Sigma Dimensions. Note the Rotation Period.

screenshot0

Which after I put the Unbreakability and Heatproof cheats on, did this:

screenshot6

And this:

screenshot30

And with a bit more fiddling it did this. By the way, the speed of light is 300 Mm/s.

screenshot44

And then I EVAed:

screenshot55

Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.

9 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Which mod part pack?

Each part is from different mod. Engines are from Constellation Essentials and Chaka Monkey, tanks from Procedural Parts, command pod from SSTU, habitat from Habitat Pack, MTV truss from Constellation Essentials.

Basics of the Buffalo mod's new engine nacelle rotator (prototype part shown) is now working:

bTN6bVQ.png

hpL1OIX.png

I also did some code refactoring, and I think I can tie the system into the existing hover manager (currently used for the JetWing).

Edited by Angel-125