What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hi guys...

I launched a few things today!

1. Laucnh  of "Eqionox" spacecraft with standard mk1! Who new that spaceflight can be so easy and friendly?

BFvM7KF.png5leIy74.png

2. Launch of "Quatro" ,space, thingy ,i guess? Well it is both a glider and a capsule, made for visiting the munar station "Artemis", to take Bill "safely" home.

nrzdi72.pngnUdJ3X6.png

3. Development of rovers from my third company- "Carbon"

Er5Vtud.png4uyyavZ.png

bSNRaY6.pngp1TuilY.png

4.Set up of South pole base.

iIftVpN.png

5. JISO (Jool Inner Space Orbiter) set up its polar orbit around Jool! Impressive hurricanes cover the poles of Jool!

wYHWGAu.png

That is it for today!

Yesterday, Kerbaldom's hero, Valentina Kerman, first kerbalnaut in orbit, to the Mün and to Minmus, delivered a vital component to Kerbin's first space station, Station II.  This new module contains a mobile processing lab, a habitat module for 4 kerbal scientists and 5 of the new larger docking ports.  In addition, this module has more batteries, solar arrays and monopropellant.  This artist rendition shows her craft with the new module on the lower left of the central part of the station.  The upper right is a lifeboat craft on station and manned by rookie kerbalnaut Verigh Kerman.

Valentina delivered two scientists and was to return with the original scientist and engineer on the station.  These three kerbalnauts are KASA's most experienced and brightest.

SHqK8Il.png?1

Upon separation from the station, Valentina backed away and prepared to fire her main engine for a retrograde burn to de-orbit.  However, there was a malfunction and instead of firing the engine, the booster section of her craft separated from the capsule instead.  This left the capsule containing Valentina, Bargun and Jorsey stranded in orbit with no means to return to Kerbin!

Enter a new hero, Verigh Kerman, the only kerbalnaut close enough to help.  He separated from the station with his lifeboat to dock with Valentina's craft to de-orbit the capsule.  He was unaware that Valentina's craft had the newer, larger docking port that was incompatible with the smaller port on his capsule. 

Undeterred, he positioned for docking anyway.

tyEkNCy.png

Unable to lock together, he used his extensive training to press against the stranded capsule using RCS thrusters and held it in that position while thrusting with his main engine at 25% in a retrograde direction, de-orbiting both his craft and Valentina's stranded capsule.

ArFrg73.png

Q3PjDS8.png

He then backed away and burned prograde to leave himself in orbit while Valentina prepared for re-entry.

IeCF41y.png

khcIpfQ.png

Once Valentina splashed down,

4RpESNh.png

KASA instructed Verigh to de-orbit also.

IwOfsMD.png

kHRoxlX.png

xFqZA3A.png

KASA and Kerbin have a new hero AND KASA's three most experienced kerbalnauts have survived!

Some within KASA do not believe there was a malfunction, but instead believe that Valentina mistakenly separated from her booster prematurely.  Investigations have begun!  One unnamed recovery crew member claims to have smelled vodka on Valentina's breath as she exited the capsule, but Valentina denies she had any alcohol on board her craft.

Edited by Morgan927
fixed a typo

29 minutes ago, Morgan927 said:

I can't seem to get my pictures inline!

You have to paste the link to the actual image file, not the link to the page on Imgur that has the image file.  In Imgur, right click the picture and select "Copy Image Location", then paste that into your forum post.

Edited by RoboRay

Docked the Vall lander Geri to the deep space tug Hovi:

QpqvPwA.png

I saw Near Future Construction in a post in this thread and was really sold on the trusses. Hovi is basically 45000 units of LF with eight Nervas at the end and a prope core and a docking port in the front, capable of ~9000 dV with 30t payload. Geri has drills and a converter, and a self sufficient Pathfinder base packed into the kis container in the bottom. Geri is flown to Vall unmanned, where a drill vessel will refuel both crafts. A similar tug will launch with four kerbals in ample living space from Kerbin in the vessel Freki once Geri is in a stable orbit and refueled. Thus, if I need to abort the mission I can dock Freki to Hovi and return home at next transfer window if refueling takes to long to accomplish.

After having a surgery, I had time to try another RO/RP0 carreer, and got to the point where I'm sending my first probes to other planets - to Mars and Mercury. I'm still amazed how great the planets look :)

3GXLLY0.png

First probe to visit Mars

L0XDhkO.png

First probe to visit Mercury

F3WJgj8.png

at 14 300 m/s, the flyby in altitude of 30 km was quite intense. But a lot of sweet science was obtained.

Michal.don

4 minutes ago, michal.don said:

I'm still amazed how great the planets look

Are you using anything besides the base RSS? Because I've been finding that the planets look a bit rubbish myself. Distant views are fine, right on the surface is OK, but it's in that 10-100 km up range that they really look a bit ugly.

9 minutes ago, cantab said:

Are you using anything besides the base RSS?

No, and you are probably right, when quite close, the planets aren't that good looking. The third screenshot of mine doesn't look very good, but I'm really happy about the first two :) I might try some visual enhancement mods later, but I'm afraid that the performance hit would be too severe.

Michal.don

Sent a new probe to Urlum (OP mod)

screenshot2039_zpsgvu6nkg6.png

The transfer burn is uneventful. 

screenshot2043_zpscjtff5lw.png

This my first probe without solar panels, so I used a fission reactor from KA. The first mission is scanning Prlax. I have 2.5 KMS for more exploration after this. And it will serve a relay satellite in the end.

screenshot2055_zpskyodlxbh.png

Today on KSP I did this. My first attempt of a real KSP movie. Hope you guys enjoy it.

On a side-note, I'd love to know how to make the plumes resize with the engines. =/

Edited by JeeF

Second trip to the Mun.

I'll spare you all alot of the repeat shots and get to business.

Descent
ok5Iz40.png

Touchdown!
oLpFxLJ.png

The usual surface samples, flag raising, and promo shots that KSC loves
Z0ZoRHh.png

Sent Valentina to do some sight seeing. Great view here.
Flag is Valentina Point
The LM is in the picture, just on Val's left. You should see the tiny light streak on the ground by the spot lamp.
LXnC10W.png

Noticed for the first time that Distant Object Enhancement makes it so that you see satellites and stations and little shooting stars whizzing west-east when you're on the ground at night. I have a lot of things in low orbit :o 

kbMbJpl.jpg

(Was testing out a hydrogen miner design for use on Iota. Seems good, needs ~ 160,000 units of fuel, comes back with enough ore to make 1.6 million :) )

Also, something else I've never done before; nabbed an asteroid from solar orbit and made a moon!

5SJgxuj.jpg

Q9Vrg8s.jpg

And then stuck a docking port onto it. Because we can. 

...and because we getting very lucrative contracts to take tourists to asteroids. Having one in low orbit around Gael makes it trivial to send up a spaceplane.

Naturally I forgot to press F1 except for this one shot...

qP3slPU.jpg

...a variant of the Drake SSTO, outfitted for a frontal docking port and carrying five tourists along with Ellie Kerman in the pilot's chair. Total profit, around 1.4 million roots, easily covering the Wrangler's launch costs and then some :) 

Edited by eddiew

2 hours ago, Morgan927 said:

Thanks all who helped.  I cut-n-pasted the imgur "Direct Link" yet when I type the exact same thing it did not work.....

use the [BBCode (message boards & forums)] link, and paste it in spiffy.

@winged Gotta say that ship is sexy.

Ive got past exploding tanks and on to my first real space missions, Needed a scansat up to get better data.  I'll use it for baselining the lunar version.  Took my Odin booster and added slight modification to Geri/Freki Boosters, adding the new Muninn/Huginn Boosters using paired smaller KeroLox engines.  Will also use them on next manned missions.  The F&G series boosters will get re-desined to be much longer. Probably taking my lunar surveys out.

YtHZM0R.pngEPo6XZT.png

Being much easier to put into lower orbits i got a nice 497x480km Orbit with A50/NTO upper stage (integral with sat)

KBhBz6G.pngEqN1xFR.png

Then launched a Makon series docking target. it had about 4600dv left in orbit to make emergency plane changes.

ANMDrbr.pngbFZam4V.png

first rendezvous went overly well I did not notice in the dark that I had arrived within 10m of the target ship....Boo! this left me with 1000 extra dV in the manned vessel and allowed me to try out sending the drone to the moon. 

Enough dV to put it in a mapping orbit with its radar active.  Quadruple birds with one stone.  Someone once said all docking must occur in the dark.....

Not all today. I made a bigger lifter, Bishop, capable of 20 tons to LEO.

I made a bigger one. Bishop, 20 tons to LEO.

The album has a full test launch: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52548818@N05/32698612544/in/album-72157678737964102/

I then set about proving that just because I'm in RSS doesn't mean I can't be Kerbal, by launching the core truss of my space station OSG Antonin Dvorak. The G in the designation: Gravity. It's a spinny-doo station designed to simulate lunar gravity at 2 rpm rotation. To do that requires a 75 metre long truss, which is duly balanced atop a Bishop rocket.

Wibble wobble

And after launching the habitation and science modules and docking them to the main truss, OSG Antonin Dvorak is complete! And if you don't mind me bragging, it's one heck of a thing.

OSG Antonin Dvorak in its glory. Simulated Moon gravity with a 2 rpm spin!

And of course Jeb and Val sneaked on, so they can hang out on the deck for a bit and try not to get dizzy.

Stowaways Jeb and Val hanging out on the balcony of the habitation module