What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpIZrnIVQYo Kottabos' review.

Sorry guys. That name is taken already by a cheaty (mostly spaceplane) parts pack.

Y'all can also tryout this other mod and tweakscale the fin parts to make sails. (Granted the parts will respond to Tweakscale)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDXjKFyACjA Kottabos' review.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I got my destiny probe in orbit around Duna, and got science from high orbit, low orbit, and (accidentally) high atmosphere. After doing the science, I had enough fuel left to get into Ike orbit, where I got more science. All in all, I got around a thousand science from the mission, and spent it on max size engines and tanks.

Inspired by the SSTU lander, shown here...

screenshot1.jpg

Which has all resources built into the model to lower the part count, I moded the file for the stock MK2 Lander Can so it has all fuel tanks, battery, small ore tank, electric generator and science storage built-in into the model itself so you don't really need any extra tanks and batteries to fly it. Then I moded The Shiba NTR to be really efficient and powered by hydrogen (purveyors of realism, my apologies!) the result was a really small and capable vehicle.

But then... I got carried away as usual, and my "everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy took over and I ended up with 97 parts in this lander and blinking lights to boot. But it can do everything. Some space left for a small  nuclear reactor:)

It's actually somewhat hard to squeeze all that stuff on a such a small frame and not have things touching when expanded. It was only possible thanks to Tweak Scale, even the science instruments are resized down.

Some custom tweaks on other parts too. The 88-88 antenna moded to be 500G relay. The NearFuture parts have electrical charge built in as well so the whole vehicle has over 4000 electric charge available. The custom 88-88 uses a lot more power to transmit and can eat through 4000 quickly. There is also a custom Hydrogen Fuel Cell boosting the whole thing with extra powers. Still, solar panels have to be xteneded to be able to transmit science without interruption.

Having fun tweaking the cfg files :)

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot9.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

My Tarsiss SSTO is again in orbit and has met with the mothership at Catullus. Since it still has almost 3000 m / s dV, I come to the conclusion that I could have built it much smaller.

PGDFtDK.jpg

The mother ship is now on the way to meet Loki.

IvmqGdu.jpg

Then I docked the Rover from the Cargobay to the Lander.

0r7ILO8.jpg

iGLYBIs.jpg

And everything marked what I want to visit.

j91b5Nz.jpg

Now it can go.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

I really have to try Galileo planet packs but I haven't gone past Dress yet in the default system. 500+ hours and I'm still spending all the time in Kerbin's vicinity.

The main reason is addiction to mods. I end up moding KSP to death and have to do frequent clean reinstall. But it's fun. Then there is my tendency to spend A LOT of time building stuff rather than flying.

Then I started tweaking around with cfgs and textures, which takes even more time.

I'm doing one more Science playthrough with expanded Community Tech Tree and really hoping to reach all the planets this time.

We have arrived at Duna!  Over the past three weeks, our fleet of four ships successfully entered orbits around Duna and began their assigned operations.  There have been two glitches, one bad one and one very minor one, but all in all this has been a very exciting and propserous period for our space program.  There are a large number of pictures included in this mission report, but we thought the world would want to know!

The first to arrive was our unkerballed NucTaxi ship that is towing two small satellites designed to land on the surface of the planet.  The ship captured and stabilized orbit about 200km above the surface where it then rested, serenely awaiting its companions.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%205.58.1 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%206.00.2 

Second to make orbit around our red neighbour was Project Duna, an experimental ship that had no crew or mission to begin with but was designed with future functions in mind, as will be described below.  This ship also made orbit about 200km high though with a lot less fuel left than was anticipated.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%206.18.4 

Our Duna Stayshun ship with 4 crew members was next to make orbit, but before it did that it deployed two satellites destined for exact coordinates.  The first satellite was unfortunately unsuccessful in its attempt to make a polar orbit, it ran out of fuel before it could be captured and is now drifting out of control somewhere out in the deep black yonder.  The second satellite did manage to (barely) complete its mission and is now functioning as a relay satellite in a reverse equatorial orbit.  Duna Stayshun then proceeded to the increasingly familiar 200km high orbit.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%206.24.2 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%206.30.4 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%206.53.4 

Lastly was Ike Stayshun, home to 5 of our intrepid explorers.  This ship also had a satellite to deploy into a polar orbit which it did without incident.  The station then found a home orbiting the small moon about 100km high.  The station is also home to a lander craft, the crew eager to try it out and touch down on a new world (if one could call a moon such a thing).

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%207.06.0 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-24%20at%207.10.5 

Some preliminary reports and science data were sent back to us here at KSC, and with the various contracts having been completed, we have now just begun to expand our research and development division.  But the fun was only beginning, as more contracts rolled in from third parties interested in getting their hands on data from around and on the two new targets!

We received a call from a company wanting data from the surface of Duna.  This was the perfect opportunity to activiate the dual-stage NucTaxi probes.  The first one, however, promptly after disengaging from the ship, fired its second stage which detached the engines from the core, rendering it propulsionless.  Although it is in a stable orbit and can send us back temperature data, it is mostly useless.  The second probe, though, worked perfectly.  It first reduced its orbit to 60km above the surface, then dipped its periapsis to 25km on the sunny side and let the forces of nature do the rest of the work.  Parachutes deployed nominally and only at the very end did its thrusters fire to soften the landing.  Data was sent back, money earned, and much back-slapping ensued.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%208.31.1 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%208.31.5 

The Ike crew wanted to get into the act, and a couple contracts were to be fulfilled.  One of the engineers won the stone-leaf-knife tournament and had the honour to be the first to attempt a landing on the moon.  The lander first disembarked from its transport location, then the engineer hopped aboard and flew away.  A nice flat spot was found on the surface, and a fine soft landing later found the engineer happily planting a flag and gathering scientific data.  The lander was then piloted back to the station, parked on top, and the engineer brough the data back to the lab where the scientists are now working diligently to find new and exciting stuff.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%208.46.2 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%208.59.0 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%209.12.4 

Now it was time for Project Duna to do its thing, but this required some slightly complicated manoevres.  This ship was actually two ships - a big tanker and a lander/return-to-orbit vehicle.  The first thing that needed to happen was to dock with Duna Stayshun so that a crew member could be transfered over.  This whole operation could have gone unkerballed, but where's the fun in that?  Plus, there was a contract to plant a flag and we wanted to return as much science as possible from the ground back to the lab, and we have yet to develop a robot that could accomplish this. The two ships docked together and this time it was decided by all involved that the one pilot would be the best choice as the first to step on soil of a foreign planet.  She transferred over and Project Duna pushed away, eventually lowering orbit to about 80km.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%209.49.1 

Here was a tricky bit of the operation.  The lander vehicle, initially, was unpowered.  It did have an engine but it wouldn't be able to fire until the heat shield dropped.  So, Project Duna first dipped its periapsis into the atmosphere, 35km above the surface.  Then it split apart and the tanker immediately re-circularized, and the lander drifted away, deploying the inflatable heat shield in preparation for aerocapture.  It entered the atmosphere, deployed its airbrakes and took some scientific readings.  Eventually it lost enough velocity so that the many parachutes could deploy safely.  By the time the ship was a kilometer above the surface, its velocity was greatly reduced and the heatshield was dropped, exposing the engine.  More science was performed as the ship floated towards the landing spot.  The engine was barely necessary in fact, the ship could have landed safely without it, but it fired anyway to touch down as softly as possible.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.08. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.18. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.22. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.24. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.26. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.30. 

The pilot, after the rather momentous occasion of dancing on the red surface, plated a flag and gathered up the science from all the experiments gathered along the way and on the ground.  The ship was designed to drop the science bits and pieces, the landing legs and extraneous tanks, brakes and parachutes.  Since this was the first visit, we didn't really know how much fuel or thrust to bring, so as it turns out we kinda drastically over-engineered the ship!  We had thought that a lot of fuel would be taken up by the landing, hence the detachable tanks and legs and such.  But as it turned out, only a tiny amount of fuel was used to land, and there was enough thrust to launch with the entire ship intact!  Once the ship was back into space the parachutes and extraneous upper pieces were jettisoned.  Orbit was accomplished, and the ship plotted a course for Duna Stayshun.  Only near the end of the transfer burn to the station did the secondary fuel tanks run out, and they were dropped at that point.  The ship then get within 100 meters of the station, matched orbits, and there it rests to this day - it doesn't have a docking port!

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.32. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.47. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.47. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2010.51. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-25%20at%2011.12. 

11 minutes ago, justidutch said:

We have arrived at Duna!  Over the past three weeks, our fleet of four ships successfully entered orbits around Duna and began their assigned operations.  There have been two glitches, one bad one and one very minor one, but all in all this has been a very exciting and propserous period for our space program.  There are a large number of pictures included in this mission report, but we thought the world would want to know!

[cut for clarity....]

Awesome utilization of stock-only parts! Some serious imagination at work!

Just a pitty party for myself :)

So i spend like 6 hours on making a moon rocket based off constellation + Saturn and I fail MISERABLY

I mean , It already weighs more than 4000 tons and can't lift 120 tons to LEO . Not to mention the slideshow level performance :(

Spoiler

sN0fOy4.png

MJ says 6.8km/s ? What a joke ! burnt out after 3km/s . I kinda feel its a cruel bug with hydrolox engines in 1.2.2

I do want to pick a ready Saturn V and just finish it off but it feels like cheating . Rocket isn't my own and all ...

I love RO , but sometimes playing it is kinda depressing.

and kerbin doesn't cut it anymore . i wants RP-1 now

Edited by Alpha_Mike_741

Hello again! I got a liltle bit better (not)!

1. Development ending for my rocket "Kurtz" im memory of Kerman Kurtz (read/watch The beckoning silence)

It is a rocket specially designed for delivering modules to space stations. To show what it is capable of ,i built this station "Sumerki" and it will be used as a new scientifical facility. Though i built only a station, this rocket can do much more.

mDEvIdG.png fhexdhg.png

2. Minmus mining outpost is finished and inhabited! It has two mining rigs of class "Sailor" and one mid-sized habitat. I was worried that crew of the base is a bit unexpereinced ,despite all the worries the outpost operates well.

ao2dSaJ.png  SPTP7S9.png

3. Test of "Dagger" technology. "Dagger" is a small spaceplane made for deploying small satellites. It is also almost fully reusable (everything except booster stage)

c1soymh.png  vwJaxna.png\

4. And just as a bonus.

Test of Unknown Unmanned Unnamed rocket. Nobody knows its purpose, neither its payload. 

Probably it is a spy satellite. But who knows?

z5Qd5dR.png

And my expanding Hodge Podge space station. Strangely, my framerate isn't dropping much despite having around 200 parts and High Res SVE Kerbin in the background. Seems like one of the mods was the culprit for my drastic FPS drops. Not sure which one, just did a clean install not too long ago.

screenshot11.jpg

screenshot13.jpg

Any resemblance to craft real or fictional is completely unintentional yeah right, besides it flies like crap (can I say that) even if I was all squeee flying around the Mun and back. I had to use Vectors with the gimbal set to 100% and the thrust limiter set at 20. I also had to strut the saucer and the nacelles to keep it from imploding. Also the clipping looks bad. I can't figure out how you wizards do it. Anyway here is my Star Ship with no bloody A, B, C, or D.

1 minute ago, Red Shirt said:

Any resemblance to craft real or fictional is completely unintentional yeah right, besides it flies like crap (can I say that) even if I was all squeee flying around the Mun and back. I had to use Vectors with the gimbal set to 100% and the thrust limiter set at 20. I also had to strut the saucer and the nacelles to keep it from imploding. Also the clipping looks bad. I can't figure out how you wizards do it. Anyway here is my Star Ship with no bloody A, B, C, or D.

Try the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod. My komplex konstructions will be impossible without it. I got tired of my things dying in Kraken's embrace.

5 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Explored Eeloo for the first time.

Where... did you get that magnificent helmet? I must have this thing...

33 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

I hate to say it, but your nacelles are hanging a little low...

Tis a glorious ship though :)

3 minutes ago, eddiew said:

I hate to say it, but your nacelles are hanging a little low

I know. I couldn't figure out how to get them just above the saucer. My clipping skills are the pits. I don't know how a real ship could fly with this off balance set up but doesn't stop me from loving it anyway. I added large SAS on the nacelles and under the bridge. I also buried an Octo probe core under the dish and controlled from there. It was still hard to control. The center of mass is under the saucer.

14 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

I know. I couldn't figure out how to get them just above the saucer. My clipping skills are the pits. I don't know how a real ship could fly with this off balance set up but doesn't stop me from loving it anyway. I added large SAS on the nacelles and under the bridge. I also buried an Octo probe core under the dish and controlled from there. It was still hard to control. The center of mass is under the saucer.

Archer's Enterprise might be a little easier to balance - it's a lot flatter :)  Later generations clearly had no concept of warp drive (or impulse) having anything to do with a thrust vector or centre of mass... but I guess they're outside of normal physics anyway, so maybe that's ok.

I believe @JadeOfMaar uses a fancy modded drive for asymmetric ships?

----

This shouldn't work... but it turns out wheels from Kerbal Foundries are amazing when you turn on anti-roll. It simply will not tip over.

PjxudS1.jpg

Edited by eddiew

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

"Real" is subjective, my dear red shirt. Early on in the movie Star Trek: Into Darkness, the Enterprise lurks at the bottom of an ocean while the crew attempt to stop an alien volcano threatening to extinct the primitive civilization living under it. Then the Enterprise effortlessly rises out of that ocean and fwooshes back into orbit. :) So cheaty means of locomotion are vital to a Trekkie craft if you ask me. 

They have hoverbikes there too, probably made by Kerbal Foundries.

Incidentally, when I made a kerbal version of the Enterprise-D I learned that its design is possibly the friendliest to kerbal engineers. The nacelles and the CoM are aligned together with the middle of the neck. It was perfect, even if I didn't have a supposed super-cheaty antigravity shizzle-dizzle engine which @eddiew wants you to believe that I have. :wink: 

38 minutes ago, algwat said:

received secret transmission from far side of mun....."The EGGL has landed...."

I take it that landing is unauthorized? :wink: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar