What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Looks like a tiny, pale, Deep Space 9. :cool: 

I Think we found the evidence for the LifeSeed....

Or maybe DS9 hatchling...:D

Funny Kabooms

Urses 

Edited by Urses

The Deep Space Ship ISABEL arrived on Mars for its first interplanetary visit and first aerobraking!

CvYKRHY.png

Retracted panels...
429L7HA.png

Entering atmo! Brace yourselves!

6PjcLWK.png

YEEEHAW!!

ubvs1XW.png

1beapTp.png

l10FvZN.png

Closed orbit achieved!

wHUbfCf.png

ISABEL went out *almost* unscathed from the Martian atmosphere. Lost 2 airbrakes. :rolleyes:

UPTHvXs.png

e0IFSF6.png

...and we still have 72k Lithium left! Onwards!!! 

There are two missions that we completed over the last couple weeks to report on.  There was also a large number of hours spent by our engineers testing and simulating different designs in an effort to complete the first mission, but in the end a simplistic and standard approach proved to be best.

The first mission was to capture a very large asteroid and bring it into a stable orbit around Kerbin.  Our Foreign Object Oberservation Department had alerted us to the perfect candidate that was going to pass by our planet only 880km above with a minimal inclination of 15 degrees, so the engineers got busy designing and testing.  They had first wanted to create a ship that could pull large rocks, and three different attempts were made.  In the end though, these designs were proving much too wobbly, and also too costly to be of much use.  So we sent up a nuclear powered ship with a whole bunch of fuel to do the job.  It captured the rock and slowed it down enough to stabilize into a rather oblong orbit.  It is currently still there, though in the near future we will straighten out the inclination and reduce the period of the orbit quite a lot, perhaps even to LKO so we can study it and harness its resources.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%201.34.1 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%201.36.0 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%201.38.0 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%201.45.2 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%202.19.1 

The second mission was the reason we haven't finished with the asteroid yet; this was the completion of a contract to expand our derelict Duna-1 station which was floating out in space without a communication signal.  Over two years ago we took on this contract, and the time was nigh to rendezvous and fix the situation.  This was performed spectacularily, and we are proud to report that the lone engineer aboard the expansion craft has now revived the derelict craft and raided its horde of snacks.  We have yet to decide what to do with the ships in the future, but for now it shall continue its path in an orbit that oscillates between Duna and Kerbin and function as a relay station.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%202.35.2 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%202.50.4 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%202.51.5 

Playing with SSTO's and opening up the Panther engines, I finally worked out an LKO refueler design I'm happy with.  Originally 12 tons of fuel to orbit, I've been adjusting it to make de-orbiting easier, but I've started to eat into my fuel payload to do it, so still tweaking, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Additionally, I decided some Rover contracts could be fun.  Meet the TLRTC, "The little rover that could".  Designed for non-atmo rover delivery and costing ~22,000 to put up, it comes in for a great budget for rover work in Kerbin SOI.

Figuring out my next lunar lander. Missing Decouplers {Check}, mechjeb borks ascents so single ignition motors not used for upper ascent {check}, mismatched fuel rate use {check}, Hard to Ullage {check}, boosters go crazy over KSC {check}. I will not go to the moon tonight.

9hlLLLd.pngqguL9bd.png1Rafn1m.png

Oh and still having some weird fairing issues. Must be that metamaterial with negative index of refraction, shadows are shifted 90deg.

I put twin radio relay towers up, one at each pole (North and South) on Kerbin. They're a little over 50m tall, more like 79m actually. Pretty close, definitely within the 'pinch' region. They compliment my polar orbiting relay array.

I also built a passenger jet, just for something to do while waiting on my other missions. It seats 100, crew included. Flies quite nice, don't even need SAS, just a little elevator trim here and there. Needs a full runway however, landing at the old airfield on the island is seriously risky... prone to overrun. It has extra fuel hidden the tail.
MVVHyzH.png

Built and sent a Interstellar class probe to Trappist-1 system (Kopernicus mod). Ion/Zenon drive equipped.

GwOewwo.png

Had to get ridiculously close to the sun to help things out.

NWaXVrW.png

And Trappist is the red star ahead of the probe. Due date: 71 years, 200 days, give or take a day. Still a pretty fast probe.
Pulled in the instruments, put the core in hibernation mode.

hxSjrMw.png

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Starting working on the Buffalo wings. First up is the wing root, I'm making sure that I've got the part oriented correctly to generate lift:

LxEEvGF.png

With that out of the way, here is the Type 1 Buffalo Wing in action:

nu10Vj5.png

uXHY7tI.png

I can't wait! All my tilt-rotor craft only work in either VTOL or normal flight. No inbetween and no mercy; all of mine crash. Have you got a date for release? I'll try it on my HLD :)

I did some stuff in my career save. 

First off, I returned lander + nuclear drive, the Knewton I IMV(Intra-Munar-Vehicle) section combo from its proving mission to the Mun.

ZcDd7kO.jpg

You can see there is the stub from a broken solar panel just visible at the bottom of the nuclear drive section, a scar from a mishap during launch. Luckily it doesn't need all three panels. It could probably even do fine on one.

I later attempted to return a Firepillar booster core from the orbit it had been sitting in for a few weeks at that point, by carefully aerobraking it over many passes, trying to keep peak heating as low as possible. It barely made it through.

BmOZ8qr.jpg

Other things have changed too apparently, because after all that careful guidance, when the parachutes opened, all the expensive parts (the probe and control bits on top (don't ask me how), and the rocket components on the bottom) ripped off and plummeted to to destruction on the surface, leaving the cheap structural adapter and parachutes lazily floating down, which took a few minutes. Note that I returned this thing successfully numerous times in previous versions.

Spoiler

ZXUE7gl.jpg

I also tested a new airfoil on my generically named Pelican II exploration/cargo plane. 

Spoiler

knY4FY0.jpg

It's not really that new of a design, I've just been over time changing my airfoils from symmetric types to built-in-incidence types, to slightly improve fuel economy and speed.

Anyways, back to the Knewton. I rendezvoused with a spaceplane waiting in LKO, planning to ferry the Kerbals and some science back to the surface. I got within 50 meters, and was about to match velocities and transfer Kerbals over.

And then my game just... stopped... It didn't stop responding, it didn't crash, it didn't throw an error... it just... stopped. As if I had hit the pause button.

2RuVSEn.jpg

Luckily I didn't lose more than a minute or so of progress, and I was able to transfer Val, Jeb, Bill, and Miltine over and reenter with several hundred science in the trunk.

Hope I haven't bored you to death :P Planning to have more in the way of fun shenanigans next time.

11 hours ago, LordFerret said:

<snip> Needs a full runway however, landing at the old airfield on the island is seriously risky... prone to overrun. It has extra fuel hidden the tail. <snip>

What kind of speeds does it land at? Are the friction and brake settings on the wheels set to maximum, and are you using reverse thrust?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
LordFerret's plane reminded me of something

24 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

What kind of speeds does it land at? Are the friction and brake settings on the wheels set to maximum, and are you using reverse thrust?

Oh yes, reverse thrust is a must... I do use it, usually the moment the front gear sets down. Friction is on 'auto', but the brakes are set at 200... rear only. I try to bring it in under 100m/s, like in the high 80's - 90's range.

I thought about putting a chute on it, like I did with my shuttle and Voyager jet, but - nah.

The Voyager...
J00X13s.png

If you've got friction auto, you're gonna slide. I recommend 200 brakes on ALL wheels, friction at 5.0 for the non-steering wheels, and 2.5 for the steering. (You have to press Override to change the friction controls)