What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I started the probe for the Tarsiss 6 Expedition of the GPP.

8DSThiD.jpg

These are the tasks. Icarus, Tellumo and Catullus are already heavy chunks.

qovouMT.jpg

The start was made with the tried and tested 200t SSTO rocket.

dggEfxE.jpg

Just before I reach the orbit I open the fairing.

nUQ1Bnw.jpg

The rocket brought the strange Lander/Spaceplane thing into an orbit of 150km and then went away.

htawwSj.jpg

The return to the surface is now routine.

PqHexbK.jpg

Open the parachutes.

LxJOYKL.jpg

After the landing, it would have almost tipped over. There were 291,000 funds back.

zsU6Ob1.jpg

The course is set, hopefully everything works as I thought.

Greetings

I was sending Jeb, Bill and Bob on a science mission to the Mun when I noticed a asteroid on a collision course with Kerbal. So I modified my standard Mun / Minmus
rocket to capture the 'roid crewed by Val and an engineer.  Putting the 7 ton Class A 'roid into a 2000km orbit and changing the inclination from 79 degrees to 0 degrees left only 9 seconds of thrust remaining.

I thought i'd give a try at building a modular base somewhere that can have parts added or removed. First step- setting out a "building standard" and a tug to move parts around...

QVvvy2I.jpg

It works! (with stabilisers anyway)

CVXboLq.jpg

And it self rights when I inevitably fall over...

wjuS57L.gif

It would seem large fuel tanks are a bit too much though...

mG9aNFf.jpg

Would "moar wheels" overcome this? or maybe having two of the tugs- one at the front and one at the back of the fuel tank?

@StewcumberMake a tow hitch module and use the landing gear on the other side.  Drop the tow hitch off with a set of legs and reuse it later.  Claws are the best way since you can set them to pivot. 

Personally I like the flexible extension docking ports.  [Flexible Docking] by DMagic

I had kraken problems with a fuel tank.

Floating away from launchpad.

ornMdpm.png

Going nowhere fast, eventually over-G and exploded while hovering. parts everywhere, crew survived 'cause parachutes. 

U5dr97b.png

@dboi88 Its looking good.

Edited by Bornholio

16 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

I thought i'd give a try at building a modular base somewhere that can have parts added or removed. First step- setting out a "building standard" and a tug to move parts around...

QVvvy2I.jpg

It works! (with stabilisers anyway)

CVXboLq.jpg

And it self rights when I inevitably fall over...

wjuS57L.gif

It would seem large fuel tanks are a bit too much though...

mG9aNFf.jpg

Would "moar wheels" overcome this? or maybe having two of the tugs- one at the front and one at the back of the fuel tank?

My guess would be two tugs. I'd imagine it would make steering easier too. But more and bigger wheel might help too.

There is only one way to find out :)

On 4/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, Spacetraindriver said:

Descent was brutal though, spinning, turning, spinning...yeah you get it now...I know its because of the heavier rear end, I should be able to keep it stable with more RCS ports, maybe even Venors (?) cutting down the the fuel in the back!

4a5d684da1e85c0605469865e6e729db.png

I would recommend you add another fuel tank near the front.  Not necessarily a large fuel tank, and not necessarily even a full one.  But having fuel tanks at the front and back of a spaceplane will allow you to adjust the center of mass of the plane forward or backward by shifting the fuel from one tank to the other.  I find this can help a lot for maintaining control during descent.  Though it helps to have fewer total tanks with more capacity than lots of separate tanks with little capacity since you will need to adjust fuel flow quickly and while under external forces, and balancing the mass across many different tanks can be hard without mods for that purpose.  

1 hour ago, Stewcumber said:

I would recommend two tugs, but not necessarily one at the front and one at the back.  The problem with that is then you need to get each tug perfectly aligned with the other tug.  To do otherwise means that the wheels of one are not necessarily parallel with the wheels of the other, and that can lead to control problems, which you definitely do not want when lifting something heavy.  But do consider adding docking port juniors to the front and back (or possibly the sides) of your rover.  That way you can send multiple rovers, link them together, and have them all move a larger mass as one extended rover.  Docking each rover to each other will ensure they keep their wheels aligned while spreading the weight of the object being carried across them.  

Made a rover plane for a challenge

t6yoBkN.png

Has a jettisonable wheel carriage. Removes the engine too!

The jettisoned module actually flies really nicely, so I might stick an engine on it and see what happens.

STS-3, first shuttle satellite launch!

d1b826db5bcd55e3cc09bf3997ef4701.png

First mission where front gear actually works (previously blocked by decoupler) yet we ditched again! Also the "Second Flight" of the Kendevour!

3 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

I would recommend you add another fuel tank near the front.  Not necessarily a large fuel tank, and not necessarily even a full one.  But having fuel tanks at the front and back of a spaceplane will allow you to adjust the center of mass of the plane forward or backward by shifting the fuel from one tank to the other.  I find this can help a lot for maintaining control during descent.  Though it helps to have fewer total tanks with more capacity than lots of separate tanks with little capacity since you will need to adjust fuel flow quickly and while under external forces, and balancing the mass across many different tanks can be hard without mods for that purpose.  

I'll look into that, but occasionally blasting the Vectors keep it aligned. :P 

So I have started my exploration into space again.... with the DSE-1 vessel...  Deep Space Explorer. 

foKNnTl.jpg

Leaving Kerbin for the Mun for its shakedown cruise.

61MCkBN.jpg

Arriving at the Mun to begin its first landing operation with one of the two landers, both of which can be remotely piloted down or back.  

My version of a Mohotel...

9m6mvUd.png

And yes I ripped the basic design from someone...can't remember who but they are a freakin' genius!

ryFsPxW.png

Look at all those empty beer kans...

3Sa5fN1.png

Jeb likes to drink alone....  :) 

SLg2SJD.png

Keranne Kerman performing final visual observasions on Mun Orbital Station after a new life support recycler docked and unnecessary RCS ports have been cleaned out, rover returned from a risky polar expedition to refuel and brought tons of science to process.

nz3cp3Y.png

Hayeeeee guys! How is it going? Atleast it goes okay for me...

1. Return of "Chance-1" and "Chance-2" from the munar base "Hydrogen". I tried to make it synchronous but sadly failed ;.;.. Though there is some nice pics from the ascend! :) All 6 kerbals returned to their home!

sGp4FYL.png 6owCfij.png

kWAcYfW.png rbLat1e.png

2. Return from the "Sceleton" minmus mining rig. I had 2 problems- 4 kerbals (cannot fit into normal sized spacecraft) And a nasty self-assembled rover that is controled by powers of kraken!

And then i thought- How do i solve 2 problems with one move?- here is what came into my mind- Send a resupply spacecraft with parachutes to reassemble the base into pod and K4 explosives (to destroy the the rover), and refuel the base so it will have enough fuel to get back to Kerbin. The "Scavenger" mission.

4Su5nrv.png Jl0I4iH.png

ir8gu1c.png I8UZ5rh.png

3. Test of a powerful and big SSTO- "Razor". I will need to improve it, it is not perfectly stable... (AND I CANT LAUNCH A PLANE THAT IS NOT PERFECTLY STABLE)

KRuq4vn.png 5xIw9uv.png

4. First flight of "Mk-3" orbiter. After months of development i finally made mk-3. It does not have as much fuel, and is not as aerodynamical as Mk-2 ,neither it is simple and modular like Mk-1 ,but has its pluses. It is very small, manueverable and lightweight. (sorry forgot to picture the rocket but it was the "Radiotop" type. Look at my previous posts i actually showed you how it looks like). Its mission was to return 2 kerbals from "Triangulurum" station.

XFcXYIP.png LlybjuZ.png

OOhqCYz.png FMkMgCu.png

5. Deploy of 2 base modules. I used skycrane to deliver them. I will name them Xen and Zen. (i picked up a bad place to land on, i think i will scrap the current project and make a new one)

ekaSuOi.png imofe2d.png

And that is it for now! I will try to build a better planned base someday.. So stay tuned i may post it quite soon!

[1.2.1 Career Save Y3 Day 307] Today was a busy day for DDRocketsInc. Using the amazing "time warp" function within KSP we experienced 45 days in 1 earth day..........the Kerbinauts on the 3 stations in orbit worked hard on orbital science while the exploration programme made the most of launch windows for Jool and Duna pushing 5 probes from the Kerbin gravity well out into the sol system. Mid course correction for Sarnus Discovery is coming up soon, in the mean time the Kerbin Space Administration has asked the company to crew change stations at Mun and Minmus and also send engineering team to the newly launcher robotic miner on Minmus to complete upgrades there.

IlO3Pr2.jpg

Edited by DDRocketsInc

This is my first try to post something here, so I hope everything will be fine.:D

My Duna Lander Mission arrived at Duna and entered into an orbit.

My Objectives for the mission:

-Science data from space high over Duna & Ike

-Science data from space near Duna

-Land at Duna

-Plant a flag on Duna

-Return to Kerbin

1f5DBEw.jpg

15 hours ago, qzgy said:

Made a rover plane for a challenge

t6yoBkN.png

Has a jettisonable wheel carriage. Removes the engine too!

The jettisoned module actually flies really nicely, so I might stick an engine on it and see what happens.

chitty chitty bang bang, chitty chitty bang bang, we love you

Kraken eats my Plock probe, after 60 years of flight :/

Other than that, ussuall stuff:

Bill got his new car

K94COAg.jpg

zbcwzmx.jpg

Visited Cerilion, that one before last update, hoping the comsat will stay there

fJkDZPo.jpg

And send probe to Dres valley, as my Kerbals love this planet

Z96m6vE.jpg

Yes, and tried to melt my computer once more, with this old Eve lander (in background :wink: )iGSbS3b.jpg

And now back to normal life, as night shift awaiting me :/ :)