What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Ha, wow, thanks guys.   My stream friends only ever seem to occasionally make phallic jokes on my steam screenshots.  Its nice to see people digging it!   I'll have to post more of my efforts here in the future.

This was the base a few days ago, pre addition of Ven's stock mod.  I haven't connected everything up, and the ship in the foreground is for ferrying crew around.

6DIpynR.jpg

38 minutes ago, kraden said:

@klesh were did you get those landing legs? Also, as JadeOfMaar said, that's a sweet looking base! 

I am almost certain they come in one of the USI mod packs.   They're really nice and wide-based.

Made orbit around Duna with a follow up craft. IT was following just a few weeks behind. Had to do this to make orbit as fuel was a weee bit low:

8FEA5DADBD8E53A30B9AD3AA6B16946958116706

Had to do this a few times to get it to where it was only braeaking off a few parts instead of about 70 parts worth. By the way. This is a 4 part craft in a line... Last try ended up with this orbit:

BBF80B468A84FC006C67C5263462895D1DBD65B8

Sent this ship to Eeloo.  Ten years ago. Was in the middle of several missions at Jool when the transfer window to Kerbin opened. Set up a quick encounter, made the burn, and went back to what I was doing. A couple of years later (maybe three?), the alarm popped up for the SOI change. I had indeed set up a rendezvous, but I hadn't noticed that my Pe was almost to Moho. Needless to say, I went screaming by Kerbin at 8,000m/s. There was no hope of a capture. Tried a gravity brake off the Mun into an aerobrake in the upper atmosphere. No good. I either ran out of fuel or just blew up.screenshot14.png

In the end, I just decided to save my fuel and live to fight another day. It's been floating out there ever since, waiting for a chance to get home. Patience paid off, and I finally found a way to get home. Got kind of lucky here with an encounter with Duna, and used it right into an encounter with Kerbin; without using any more fuel. I'll adjust the insertion angle after leaving Duna. Should be able to slow down enough in Kerbin's SOI to make it home safe. Hopefully. Those poor Kerbals would dearly like to get home

.screenshot15.png

And an important lesson was learned. The most important ship is the one you're flying, not the one you wanna get back to. I'll try to remember that.

In a feat of Kerbal engineering, the boys at the SPH have devised a way to make fully stockarrow-10x10.png hinges and pivots! Using this breakthrough, the technology has been incorporated into the design of a new SSTO to give it VTOL capabilities, as well as enough fuel to go to Laythe and back without refueling or need for mining!

In order to rotate the wings, the tilt-wing section un-docks to become a separate craft that can move independently of the main ship. It's held in place by two ringsarrow-10x10.png of cubic octagonal struts around some of those Oscar-B fuel tanks as a sort of axle. Torque wheels are used to rotate the wing and lock it into position using the 'radial out' marker on the navball. Finally, 4 small docking ports lock the section back in place- rejoining it with the rest of the craft fairly securely in a quadruple seal! 

Here's the video I made that I have had inarrow-10x10.png the works for a while now. A lot of time and effort went into making this butarrow-10x10.png I am really happy with it so I hope you enjoy watching it! :)

Holy Guacamole! The TCA mod is awesome! It took me many hours to learn how to properly use it. This, combined with the fact that I finally tweaked my joystick set up, finally gave control over space planes that I've wanted.

I can't land them, I always crash. This allows me to fairly gracefully switch from standard flight to vertical and either control the VTOL while TCA just does VTOL engine leveling or just tell TCA to stop and hover at certain altitude and then give it a waypoint to land at.

I am capable of building a decently behaving craft, take of and fly around but landing was always bad.

Of course, I'm using modified engines. With stock engines it'll be out of fuel in few minutes. And since this is meant for space travel I don't want air-breathing engines on it.

The VTOL engines are modified Aerospike engines that run on LH2/Ox and have totally unrealistic atmospheric thrust and ISP. In the latest revision I mounted two at the front for braking during descent from the oribit and it works great. The main engines are a hack of Nertea's Cryo Engines, Kerbal Atomics and NF Propulsion. They're dual mode: like the Aerospikes, they run on LH2/Ox for horizontal takeoff from a runway, atmospheric flight and getting to orbit then they switch to Litium/EC high ISP for space travel.

I know, totally unrealistic, but it's incredible fun.

For the first time in over 1000 hours, I was able to fly around Kerbin and land somewhere far from KSP in one piece! A nice little island.

Now, if only my rovers didn't get torn apart by stupid physics when being detached inside cargo bays, eh...

screenshot25.jpg

screenshot26.jpg

screenshot27.jpg

screenshot27.jpg

screenshot29.jpg

screenshot30.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

22 minutes ago, hazard-ish said:

In a feat of Kerbal engineering, the boys at the SPH have devised a way to make fully stockarrow-10x10.png hinges and pivots! Using this breakthrough, the technology has been incorporated into the design of a new SSTO to give it VTOL capabilities, as well as enough fuel to go to Laythe and back without refueling or need for mining!

In order to rotate the wings, the tilt-wing section un-docks to become a separate craft that can move independently of the main ship. It's held in place by two ringsarrow-10x10.png of cubic octagonal struts around some of those Oscar-B fuel tanks as a sort of axle. Torque wheels are used to rotate the wing and lock it into position using the 'radial out' marker on the navball. Finally, 4 small docking ports lock the section back in place- rejoining it with the rest of the craft fairly securely in a quadruple seal! 

Here's the video I made that I have had inarrow-10x10.png the works for a while now. A lot of time and effort went into making this butarrow-10x10.png I am really happy with it so I hope you enjoy watching it! :)

That's... awesome!

PS. I like the music, my type of electronica/light trance.

Edited by Kerbital

14 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

That's a mod, I presume?

Yep, Aviation Cockpits mod I believe...

Tomorrow Jeb is going to test our new heatshielded helmet.

cJnSaVh.png

btw, has anybody seen Jeb ?

JEB ?

After a successful Mun Landing by the experimental MK Munar Lander it was time to go back:

S8sGZDo.png

Although the engineers had cut the reserves for fuel a bit fine:

HxHtpBd.png

But the rendezvous went as drilled and the gallant little lander was left on a suborbital trajectory of Mun

A3HZaJa.png

7DETHfK.png

28Eno3Q.png

The crew is now on an aero-braking trajectory of Kerbin.

Got to Gilly for the first time after a... failed landing on Eve. (Five seconds of entering the atmosphere... with extreme heat shielding...) and I ran out of electricity and forgot solar panels so Jebediah is stuck on Gilly. The moon is both frustrating and fun.

45 minutes ago, Zer0Winds said:

Got to Gilly for the first time after a... failed landing on Eve. (Five seconds of entering the atmosphere... with extreme heat shielding...) and I ran out of electricity and forgot solar panels so Jebediah is stuck on Gilly. The moon is both frustrating and fun.

Another version of Jebediah has managed to fly all the way from Gilly back to Kerbin on just his EVA jets.  Of course, that was when you could still reenter a Kerbal in his space suit, and they just had to land on their heads to bounce instead of exploding...

Success! My Gilly mining lander has finally arrived at its destination.

MeZCtaG.jpg

Its companion vessel, a space station for ore processing and fuel storage, arrived shortly afterwards.

k2s11xJ.png

After both vessels were in stable orbits, the lander's transport tug (as well as the mission's secondary payload; a satellite to be placed into a polar orbit of Eve) detached and the lander made its way to the surface, becoming the first Kerbal vessel to land on a body outside of Kerbin's orbit, and its crew (Scott Kerman on right and Elgas Kerman on the left) becoming the first Kerbals to walk on one.

xnB7wBN.png

The landing went without issue and Scott and Elgas were able to return with a full tank of ore to be converted to fuel.

The mission also discovered an important historical relic: The last of the old Pusher Robot model of nuclear tugs, sent to Gilly to deliver a scanning and relay satellite to the tiny moon. The mission was successful (with that satellite's scans being instrumental in selecting an optimum landing site for this mission,) but the tug was left without enough fuel to perform any more useful duties and instead remained attached to its payload, waiting in orbit. With a fuel supply now within easy reach, the Pusher Robot was able to refuel itself and re-enter active service. It's a bit out of date, being driven by an OKTO probe core with only the most basic SAS capabilities, but it's still quite capable of doing useful work, serving as an on-site tug for the new Gilly station.

LDsJBHW.png

The mission didn't include any means for Scott and Elgas to return home, but since they're needed to pilot the lander and oversee the mining and ore-converting process that was to be expected. A science vessel is scheduled to depart at the next Kerbin-Eve transfer window which will contain a relief crew for the mining operation as well as a crew module that will allow them to return to Kerbin.

Edited by Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Well. Here is the craft that survived Dune AIRBRAKING.... I'm sure you can see what is missing: 3D17EFFA201E7067C56223BD821D4E91FB598A70

Craft lost 4 small extandable radiators and 2 medium one. What is wierd is. The Medium ones did not explode on the same side.

Did some more de-orbiting of debris as well as testing to see what I need to do to dock my new craft that will be pused by my 2 SSTO planes. Err planes to it...

Edited by Aragosnat

I just managed the closest trip I've ever seen. I forgot to remove the drop tanks for 3/4 of the mission, and I was thinking that I was gonna run out of fuel.

It was an XP-Levelling craft. I sent 7 kerbals (every kerbal I had) on a mission to plant a flag on the Mun and another on Minmus. By the time I planted the flag on Mun, I realized I was running out of fuel; half the tank tier below the orange one. My bad choice to land on Mun first made it hard to plan an intercept of Minmus. I got to Minmus, landed, planted a flag, and had around 300m/s of DV left. I took to orbit, and had 171 DV left.

I planned a maneuver that went back to Kerbin.... and the cost...

170.9m/s.

Out of 171.

For lack of understanding of a better way to upload images, yet another Imgur.

In other words, don't forget your staging.

EDIT: Immediately after said mission, I got contracts for 'Plant a flag on Minmus', 'Scientific data from around Minmus' and 'Plant flag on Mun'. Of course I did.

Edited by digger1213
After that mission...