What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I COMPLETELY  messed up....that's what I did today :) A few days ago I put in orbit my Jool 5 landers complete with a return home module....everything was great. However.....

....today I launched and put into orbit the second and final part of my craft and attempted to dock with the lander module, ready to go to the Jool system but I made one massive error....

....to get close enough to dock I didn't realise I was dipping Into the atmosphere hence I started falling back to Kerbin....

Moral of this story is don't get to 70km and think your OK if you plan to send another vessel up and dock...try 80 to 100 km. ...

A schoolboy error but this is KSP :)

Edited by maceemiller
Spelling

Having installed weapon mods, today I'm launching my newest craft. A warship "Midnight Requiem"

F7PyYZW.png

dTz86Ex.png

4QDV9z0.png

She's built primarily as an anti-air vessel, with several AA guns on her deck. Originally, I'm putting the M65 atomic cannon on her, but that makes her too slow as well as compromising her structural integrity (That cannon is so heavy). Luckily, I found another solution for "mass destruction protocol"

fpPMN6Q.png

aabk2NA.png

Testing her CIWS/AA turrets

OLq7ZAz.png

Testing her laser turrets

Wwd1KGq.png

Deploying the "mass destruction protocol"

bINLk16.png

Up! Up! Up!

KIo5hyh.png

Nuclear missile ready for launch (I'm targeting the island airfield, sending GPS data)

qDKUOEl.png

Launch!

0huojI8.png

Impact in 3... 2... 1...

FqUXz3m.pngBOOOM!!!

Well, that concludes the weapon trials. It's so satisfying to be able to complete her construction today :D

20 minutes ago, ARS said:

F7PyYZW.png

One can like war equipment or not (should be no criticism) but what you do here is unbelievably great. Each of your shown vehicles is beautiful to look at. How long do you build on such a piece of jewelry?

Today I arrived in orbit around Minona, the last stop in the Nero system.

0OCYTEo.jpg

Initiate the land maneuver.

pgbiFHz.jpg

I love moons with little gravity, because landing is always so easy. The analyzes are started immediately. 10 Biomes are there to explore.

5HtmKdM.jpg

An anomaly could also be discovered. I thought I could also land on one instead of always just standing beside it. This is not as easy as I thought.

rNgxb32.jpg

On the way to the South Pole, I encounter fairly high cliffs.

7I8K6zw.jpg

The penultimate landing with memorial photo for the kinship. All biomes are visited and now it goes back to the mothership.

woRRKc4.jpg

Greetings

I decoupled the engines from my Orbital Lab at Duna, and seconds later this was my station:
Thank God I had just quicksaved:0.0:

qpzlgvO.png

After crashing the engines into Duna, this time without the Kraken attacking me, I sent out an autonomous mining rig to Ike, this will secure I always have plenty of rocket parts and fuel to build and power any crafts I want.

Vy3xFxv.png

37 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

How long do you build on such a piece of jewelry?

On average, 3 hours. Might take longer for more complex vehicles :)

8 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

@ARS

Not more? I needed at least 20 hours until my mothership was the way I wanted it. A small SSTO goes fast but my Tellumo Spaceplane took me to the edge of madness.

Uuuum.... the "Midnight Requiem" takes about 3.5 hours for me to complete (and an hour to test), but my SSTO before ("Grateful Sunray") takes me almost a day to complete. So, yeah, it depends on each individual craft :) Since when building Midnight Requiem I only focus on "How to make her able to get into sea with all systems functional", compared to when I'm building Grateful Sunray where I'm focusing on "Must make it into orbit with additional fuel level calculation, aerodynamic and all other stuff (mainly strutting) to make sure she doesn't break up mid-flight"

Especially considering that I'm building Grateful Sunray to be able to reach suborbital flight and leave the atmosphere without any input whatsoever (except initial pitch at takeoff)

Edited by ARS

6 hours ago, Kertech said:

I finished off 25 probe missions to the 5 closest planets to Kerbin in my career (Harvest, Eve, Arkas, Mios and Duna) 

mHm19VM.jpg

So now I not only have robust com systems around the 5 most accessible planets but also have enough science to get the final two massive rocketry nodes

KiwUZaP.jpg

Saturn Ib mission

3uwhtpV.jpg So now on to something BIG!!!!

O32kvJK.jpgMy Saturn V!! And then "did it apollo style" (post-pendingtm now below) The V is basically the same as the Ib (as you can see), but with a big stage on the bottom and the surface rated engines for the first stage of the Ib were switched to vacuum suitable (dual penguins)

ywlHN8p.jpghyTL4bq.jpgI3Rp3Le.jpg

Below just some stats on the scale world scale=10, atmosphere scaled to 1.42 (for karman line (100km) as space)

zG5SfUw.jpg

What's that red star in the background of your sixth image?

10 hours ago, TheDARKOMETER said:

I made a 2 engine commercial airliner. It can hold plenty of kerbals ^^

Bonus level: have one of them beat up & thrown off after he paid for his seat. :confused:

8 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Here is some latest stuff of mine!

Those visuals... *twitches in an undignified mannor* :o

Started the assembly and got the IOC of the low Gael Orbit space station that will provide a fuel depot, refinery, and shipyard.

2K4ifIV.png

An album of the construction up to this point

Still in my GPP career, I also launched the first Ceti Ore Freighter. To bring 24k units of ore from low Ceti orbit to low Gael orbit and back to low Ceti orbit on internal fuel and without aerobreaking (hopefully, I didn’t really test it)

uv9NvBO.png

An album of the first (unmanned) trip to Ceti is below.

thx to @ARS we finally have a decent choppa ! to do the rescue missions near of ksc ( soon i gonna make it a big one like the chinook ..but soon) ( i still having a issue; sooner i try to landing ..it bounce ... making the helicopter jump and do a flip xD )

Edited by jackstech

On 17/04/2017 at 0:11 PM, Kertech said:

Been flying 10k missions again, procedural tanks new for this save (they're not really needed normally other than for looks, but I need the extra fuel space!)

First satellite 

ABrEtRh.png5hcwxQV.png

(big boosters for tiny payloads :) )

Later on (much later, I've set science to 50% so it's pretty grueling!) I ran a lunar flyby with a modified Calliope capsule (ranger configuration) instead of a crew compartment it has an orbital module (USI-LS for hab time) and triple the fuel! Launched on a Mu-IV heavy (about 15 tonnes to LKO)

Sent crew and experiments up to olympus (after unlocking 3.75m parts I put up a science station, took a while)

JUPSwFM.pngCalliope-2 so less dv, but more crew!

RV7sSW1.pngGem-1 which has two crew and an experiment transfer module for the Mole lab

Both docked to Olympus station

dDfPwoR.png(I find that truss docking area thing quite satisfying for some reason)

FOmi6BU.png 

Lunar comnet array was put in orbit by Mu-Ia's

4vVMhh8.png(The atlas texture looks great on small rockets @Bornholio:wink:

YAYWY2Z.png 

Now just waiting for another 500 science so I can get rockets big enough to put this in orbit

yxQcviy.png

And then do a few missions (and complete doing it Apollo style in 10k, and maybe apollo applications after whilst I got the infrastructure)

Then after that I've started work on this

B9NPRjD.pngBut this is no where near done! for a start the RCS on this is not balanced and not enough monoprop

Finally the long term goals for this save...

p2bSQHC.pngrRKvz5q.pngSo if you look closely at the images you can see two (one in each image) bright red stars. Those are phoenix and valentine. Career goal is to reach them. Conventional rockets will take over a 1000years to reach them at the most efficient path (which is only about 8,500 dv from LKO) so this save has a few mods to give the speed of light a kicking!

If you now look back through the images you'll see them both sitting there, always good to have a goal that taunts you!

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

What's that red star in the background of your sixth image?

Apologies for the long quote of myself, (and mobiles aren't great for text editing) I posted it a while back! 

My long term goal is FTL transport as I've just rechecked the chemical rocket estimate for a 200year transfer it'll take 11,000m/s!

ooh and just noticed that this was when I built my apollo spacecraft that I flew today! Time goes too fast :( 

Edited by Kertech

Finally got back to making some aircraft. I finished off my F-35 Lightning II, which will now be used in my Career save:

Spoiler

screenshot253.png

It even has the same landing procedure: Keep your nose up for as long as possible.

screenshot229.png

screenshot263.png

I also tested it against an F-15 Eagle. The first Sidewinder shot a hole in the wing of the Eagle, which didn't impede flying too much, but after the next round of missiles dropped out the bay it was all over:

Spoiler

screenshot276.png

screenshot280.png

Here is when the wing was hit:

screenshot290.png

And then the F-15 was hit by 3 more missiles, ending the test.

screenshot302.png

Outcome? Success.

screenshot326.png

Lunar orbital Science with Albert Carter (one of my orbital rated scientists)

piE8soE.gif

Trans-Lunar Injection

UdLxpij.gif

Entering Lunar orbit

vFG5dZ0.gif

Gather science around the moon and burn back to Earth.

h4qZTwI.gif

Return and Re-Entry.  almost 7G...

colTPAz.gif

Return 2200 science, a few biomes left but mostly cleaned up on the moon.  Jupiter survey next then probably Mars landers at 1957 launch window.

Edited by Bornholio
Add notes

Well, the time has come -  Star Wars Weekend! You know, with May the 4th and Revenge of the 5th...and don't forget Revenge of the 6th!

All puns aside, I decided to try and create a replica of the U-Wing fighter from Rogue One and Star Wars Rebels to commemorate such a profound date in human history. Keep in mind the word TRY. It does NOT mean "succeed" under any means whatsoever.

erd5UeN.png

iFzE8mS.png

Physics was very uncooperative. Screw you, physics. Or maybe not, since I was able to get the U-Wing to fly under the control of Oddball and Echo Kerman (named after some guys from the Clone Wars). It's quite hard to steer and raise to high altitudes, but it has amazing fuel efficiency. Got to make a few tweaks to the final design.

TnJg1sg.png

zw1xi9S.png

I've also done some more work for my new mod, Upsilon Kandromedae. Here's a shot from the moon Craio:

N1kJhsJ.png

First off: CactEye is wonderful, and the people who've made and maintained it are wonderful. It fits in perfectly with my current GPP playthrough.

Got my preliminary comm network up: with the primitive technology available (max of 4 restarts, no RCS), the best I could do was a geosynchronous network with about 8 degree inclinations, not particularly coordinated. At some point, I'll want to replace this preliminary network with something more substantial.

Spoiler

61ei5Hx.png

lKSo5Q0.png

Had my first orbital reentry fail on account of forgetting that no, the little antennas can't reach my geosynchronous network, something that will be rectified with the second flight (which will have more powerful directional antennas pointed at active vessel).

qX30EtS.png

A fixed-wing aircraft mission kinda-sorta worked, although I'm not going to try repeating it until I have a level 3 runway which is smooth enough to take off of.

Spoiler

lfsXcGN.png

VFMkCbj.png

Valentina was the first Kerbal to orbit, returning a large number of EVA reports from space just over all of Gael's many biomes.

uK844Ic.png

I've offloaded some polar launches to a site near the poles: I think this was a mapping satellite.

Ic2n1aL.png

My first slingshot around Iota was a complete success, with low-orbit science collected via dint of mapping all the instruments to the lights action group, and writing a kOS script to hit that action group at periapsis. I've got to say: I like the look of this moon.

Do3wzQH.png

The first telescope I launched has returned images from many of the celestial bodies, and I've got to say I love it. I'm going to have to figure out how to set the controls really fine, though, because these were all done via MechJeb pointing.

Spoiler

Ceti at about 180 Mm:

c582kIF.png

Spoiler

The Gauss system at 409 Gm:

DweZpCo.png

Catullus and Tarsiss:

W2vUn7p.png

I think Catullus might have an atmosphere. Using the map to select Catullus/Tarsiss to center on mildly spoiled me to the fact that Tarsiss is a submoon; otherwise, I could've made repeat observations to realize that it wasn't just a coincidence that they appeared close together.

I wasn't able to get an image of Loki with the first-tier equipment; it was sorta visible on screen, but not enough to get science.

Spoiler

Gratian at 94 Gm:

VxFDdbq.png

It looks to be an obvious Mars analogue. Quite likely to have a thin atmosphere. No obvious moon spotted; they may exist, but if so, I didn't see them via telescopy.

I'm wondering if I should start a thread for this in Mission Reports: I'm not quite able to come up with a cohesive story that I like, but maybe just talking about how I'm going about things, and the process of discovering and understanding the Ciro/Gael system might be fun for people.

EDIT: Also: all images taken at a max of 1024x zoom with the first-level wide-angle camera. Looking forwards to the higher-level cameras; some objects I outright couldn't see.

Edited by Starman4308

57 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

First off: CactEye is wonderful, and the people who've made and maintained it are wonderful. It fits in perfectly with my current GPP playthrough.

I'm wondering if I should start a thread for this in Mission Reports: I'm not quite able to come up with a cohesive story that I like, but maybe just talking about how I'm going about things, and the process of discovering and understanding the Ciro/Gael system might be fun for people.

I really like using it.  Put it right behind scansat for the additional play it adds to the game.  Only complaint is in a game without a long science path it returns a too much science.

Do the mission report if you want for yourself.  i find that recording exploration information really got me understanding how to do things better.  Plus it gives you a fall back notebook.