What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Yeah, there are a lot of movies about the Titanic... there were about 4 obscure ones on Netflix before they were removed and the famous one got added. (Just this year)

@Bornholio your Lunar lander in looks to me a bit like a TKS with some sort of transfer stage... don't know why... maybe it's because of the shape of the rear fuel tank.

Using two different  "Service Module" Tanks to carry Aerozine/NTO and life support + nice hidey space for solar and science gear.  Among other things it is not an lander.  More like Bump and run since I had 3600 dV left at circulization. Service Module has 3200 dV and 19 days Life suport.  So I had plenty of margin if the bump did any damage.

I was pleased with how the Coupler and heat shield shroud blend in to the capsule bay and service module.  I think I'm going to make a few modded shrouds and couplers in charcoal next after fixing my no plume problem with my Timberwinds.

Edited by Bornholio

Welp. Had a funish day. Had a SSTO rocket return some what safe. It only lost 8 sepatrons, 2.5 m fairing 1.5?m decupler, 2 orange tanks. But, the twin boar survived thanks to the other parts acting as crumple zones...:

F0BD1A6E7A14F82662AB5FBCF131A79B48D1EBF3

Also found out that the tank like wheels have almost no traction or for what ever reason the motors don't want to work at all dispite having enough power. Then again this is on minmus:  A1D428D872598BB32E77B3EE6980AE8F4AD37B4B

Edited by Aragosnat

Sent off my second orbital telescope, also carrying a mutlispectral scanner to map Gael's biomes, and with DMagic's telescope part (not to be confused with CactEye). The Gael telescopy part of the mission is mostly accomplished (missing just one biome), the multispectral scan is over 50% complete, and afterwards, I'll use the CactEye scope as long as the reaction wheel holds out.

oJGQj5k.png

6bgUEHX.png

I'm also increasingly convinced that Grannus is no moon gas giant, and is instead a red dwarf star. I'll have to double-check the angles at which I've made my prior observations, but I suspect it's shining with its own light, and won't get any partial shadows at any Gael-Ciro-Grannus angle.

iiSTIEX.png

The rest of my telescopy from today will come up eventually in my mission report thread, for which I'm still working through my backlog.

I've got some ideas for my next big mission, though. What I usually do at this point is just send a Kerbal on a free return around the moons; this time, I think I'll take advantage of experiment storage units to bring back much more science than I otherwise would in a single mission. I'll probably use two storage units for space high over each moon, two storage units for space low, and one for science from a robotic lander I send ahead of the manned mission*.

*I can keep the second duplicate set of results from the lunar surface in the capsule.

I built a big cargo plane.

J0zGHLT.png

Really really big cargo plane (you can just make out the Kerbal on the cockpit from here)!

Bte9g3o.png

I used tweak scale to bump up the airframe to 5 metres, 233% increase to the wings and landing gear.

The Goliath engines are untouched.

She takes off at mach .19, top speed of mach 0.8.

4 minutes ago, TheDARKOMETER said:

I made a new fighter jet, I'll give my first follow to anyone who guesses first what I modeled this jet after.

Twin engine? Twin tail? Low-sling inlets. Gotta be a F/A-18.

Speaking of which, I spent some time recreating the X-53, a F/A-18 modified to have wing warping.

TG1cEi4.gif

She doesn't look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

First_flight2.jpg

+

SOqSshu.png

=

300px-X-53_Active_Aeroelastic_Wing_NASA_

Edited by Servo

6 minutes ago, Servo said:

Twin engine? Twin tail? Low-sling inlets. Gotta be a F/A-18.

Speaking of which, I spent some time recreating the X-53, a F/A-18 modified to have wing warping.

TG1cEi4.gif

She doesn't look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Correct its an F/A-18! :D You have my follow ^^. And nice job with the X-53 wings, did you use IR or is it stock?

Edited by TheDARKOMETER
Grammatical Error

Just now, TheDARKOMETER said:

Correct its an F/A-18! :D You have my follow ^^. And nice job X-53 wings, did you use IR or is it stock?

It's all stock. There are thermometer hinges underneath the wings which allow the panels to swivel individually. Then, there are ailerons set at 50%, 100%, and 150% sandwiched between thermometers (love 'em) that are attached to the wing sections. I redid the system in a slightly more elegant way today, but I didn't take any screenshots (that's for tomorrow), which moves the ailerons to underneath each wing, making it self-contained. Still wacky as heck, though. It's going to take a lot of elbow grease to make it fly without disintegrating in midair.

6 minutes ago, Servo said:

It's all stock. There are thermometer hinges underneath the wings which allow the panels to swivel individually. Then, there are ailerons set at 50%, 100%, and 150% sandwiched between thermometers (love 'em) that are attached to the wing sections. I redid the system in a slightly more elegant way today, but I didn't take any screenshots (that's for tomorrow), which moves the ailerons to underneath each wing, making it self-contained. Still wacky as heck, though. It's going to take a lot of elbow grease to make it fly without disintegrating in midair.

Wow! That's a creative way to make mechanically moving stock parts, must've taken a lot of effort, and best of luck putting that to your plane :D. I know it can be a little hard to put moving wings on a plane (much harder if it's stock), but really rewarding as hell to pull off ^^.

Edited by TheDARKOMETER

1 hour ago, Servo said:

The stuff you come up with bone stock makes my brain hurt.  :confused:

Wanted to send two Kerbals to Eve for the first time. I've only landed there once before, a ship with drills that was able to refuel itself for takeoff. This time I wanted to play it straight. Put two Kerbals on the surface, and back into orbit, without drilling. Needed a big lander, so I figured I'd refuel at Minmus to save money on the launch vehicle. Only had a few days 'til the Eve window opened, though, so I had a tough choice; either wait 'til next time or spend more money. I didn't feel like waiting, so I built this monstrosity below.

screenshot309.png

A crazy amount of money for a mission I don't need, but I didn't care. I wanted to do this.

Here's the ship after reaching orbit. Plenty left in the tanks. Felt like I was in good shape.

screenshot262.png

Placed the maneuver node and set up a quick encounter while in the middle of another mission (a bad habit of mine). Didn't realize I was coming in retrograde until I jumped back after the alarm. I wasn't happy, but I didn't think it was the end of the world.

screenshot264.png

Overbuilt the ship, so I still had fuel left in the transfer tanks. Decided to use it to slow my entry. The engines weren't exactly covered by the shields, but they were protected enough to keep from exploding while on full burn.

screenshot288.png

It was getting warm, though. But nothing like what I should've experienced. The slow-down worked pretty well.

screenshot289.png

Getting rid of the inflatable shields is always a dicey proposition.

screenshot291.png

Chutes are popped.

screenshot295.png

Safely on the ground. Half the battle is over.

screenshot297.png

Time to go home.

screenshot303.png

Second stage.

screenshot304.png

Third stage.

screenshot305.png

Final stage.

screenshot306.png

Orbit achieved. I'm ecstatic.

screenshot307.png

My original goal was to land, launch back to orbit, and return to Kerbin without refueling. Had to give up that dream. Maybe next time, if I don't rush the launch. I have a refueling operation on Gilly. Figured I'd just send it's fuel shuttle to the rescue. The Gilly shuttle has a standard docking port on top, and a Sr on the bottom for versatility. Which is great. Except my Eve lander has a docking port Jr. :o

There really should be a head-slap emoji. I'd use it often.

screenshot311.png

Oh, well. Hard part's over anyway. They'll just have to hang out for a year or two until a refueler arrives from Kerbin. I'm still pretty happy. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

4 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

The Gilly shuttle has a standard docking port on top, and a Sr on the bottom for versatility. Which is great. Except my Eve lander has a docking port Jr. :o

Just for future reference, I've seen (in a post somewhere on this KSP forum) that you can put a Jr. inside a Sr. and both will work -- you can even offset the Jr. (don't recall what that was for, but it was done and worked).  I've tried putting a Jr. inside a standard, and it doesn't seem to function, but there's enough clearance inside the Sr.

I setup a Duna base, and had a little SAS module with the external seat, some landing legs and the 'Twitch' engines, and made a little one-Kerbal transporter. Anyway, the Kerbal must of got unconscious after an impact with a slope, and I used the Klaw to grab them, get into Duna orbit, get back to Kerbin, and land, rescuing them. Now they are safely back at the KSC, having all the snacks that they could ever hope for, and also being worshipped as a hero. Thanks to Barvan Kerman for the brave rescue, Gerhat Kerman is (still) alive and well.

My original STS design was rather limited in terms of payload, therefore --

I present the Arayanna ("Heavenly Swan") STS Mk I:

989C5D7636635C8DB1F55542A3180E39C4B29240C3157D2F322EFF926A00EE3372644B7C42B26CFDB7C97C880A8937D4AF6C69F6B1F91D7E76F0ED7BB39A0F934A3FBD2A15E58A9DE7EDD76970BA93B9

Despite her appearance, she flies exceptionally well in atmo...doesn't have the power of an SSTO, but I was actually able to recover that satellite and make orbital corrections to get it placed in a proper polar orbit.

...Now if I can just figure out why ScanSAT is misbehaving intermittently...

-Jn-

4 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Just for future reference, I've seen (in a post somewhere on this KSP forum) that you can put a Jr. inside a Sr. and both will work -- you can even offset the Jr. (don't recall what that was for, but it was done and worked).  I've tried putting a Jr. inside a standard, and it doesn't seem to function, but there's enough clearance inside the Sr.

Yeah, I've seen that somewhere before. I tried it but, at that time, I wasn't any good with the offset tools. This was about a year ago (real time), so I've since gotten the hang of them, but never got into the habit of combined docking ports. My go-to method is a Sr on the bottom and a regular on the top, whenever possible. Funny thing is, this is the first time I've used a Jr in forever. Never have the need.

I know the entire problem can be circumvented with an AGU, but I don't like the way they look on most designs. Sure would look good on my Gilly shuttle right now, though. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

1 hour ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Yeah, I've seen that somewhere before. I tried it but, at that time, I wasn't any good with the offset tools. This was about a year ago (real time), so I've since gotten the hang of them, but never got into the habit of combined docking ports. My go-to method is a Sr on the bottom and a regular on the top, whenever possible. Funny thing is, this is the first time I've used a Jr in forever. Never have the need.

I know the entire problem can be circumvented with an AGU, but I don't like the way they look on most designs. Sure would look good on my Gilly shuttle right now, though. :)

That, or enable part clipping in editors, then place a jr inside of a standard inside of sr. Voila, instant multi-purpose docking port.

3 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

...I present the Arayanna ("Heavenly Swan")...

Just out of curiosity, what language do you refer to this translation?

2 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

This is going to be interesting... Not sure if I want to warp... seems like it would be a fun challenge to fix this!

you have some serious rolling going on here :D:confused::0.0: