What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I saved my two space carriers from changes in game and mods that went unnoticed by me....

When I tried to fine tune White Base munar orbit with RCS I discovered that all monoprop tanks are empty because MevhJeb got "RCS throttle when engines are offline" option. Somewhere during my maneuvering it decided that engines are offline... So I sent 3k monoprop tanker drone and refueled every little tank on all crafts attached to White Base... Luckily Stellario increased monoprop capacity (and no munar encounters) left it at over 80%.

When landing tourists on Mun I discovered that half of my liquid fuel was gone. Apparently rocket fuel is now drained evenly across stage. Not a thing you want to learn during suicide burn. Generous supply of monoprop had major part in achieving orbit again...

Meanwhile at Kerbaton space station first batch of Station Science results began descent maneuvers.

3 minutes ago, PT said:

When landing tourists on Mun I discovered that half of my liquid fuel was gone. Apparently rocket fuel is now drained evenly across stage. Not a thing you want to learn during suicide burn.

This is not always default behavior.  Decouplers default to crossfeed off (in which setting, only tanks within a stage drain evenly).  I don't recall whether docking clamps default to crossfeed on or off, but they can be set to off.  All in all, draining a stage evenly without intervention is, I think, a big plus -- but I can see crossfeed as being an issue if you weren't expecting it...

7 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

This is not always default behavior.  Decouplers default to crossfeed off (in which setting, only tanks within a stage drain evenly).  I don't recall whether docking clamps default to crossfeed on or off, but they can be set to off.  All in all, draining a stage evenly without intervention is, I think, a big plus -- but I can see crossfeed as being an issue if you weren't expecting it...

Docking ports default to "on".  Oh, they certainly do so... Little round ***** sabotaging my mission >.<

Edit: Oh, look, profanity filter replaces words :>

Edited by PT

9 minutes ago, PT said:

Docking ports default to "on".  Oh, they certainly do so... Little round ***** sabotaging my mission >.<

There's also "flow priority" which can prevent unexpected depletion of "universally shared" resources like Electric Charge and Monopropellant.  It works the same way with Lf/O when crossfeed is enabled.  Best of both worlds, once you have the habit of checking it in VAB -- but, BUT!!!  Flow priority will get munged if you undock and redock (as for an Apollo-style transposition to put your lander and command pod nose to nose for trans-Munar passage).  I've had a Mun mission command stage wind up reliant on the Mk. 1 Command Pod's reaction wheel (and tiny battery) because the RCS got used up -- and I'd undocked to discard the lander (on a burn-up orbit) before I noticed I had dry monopropellant tanks (hence couldn't redock, even if I had more than ten minutes until atmosphere).

Ran a high over earth space mission with an attempt at sample return.  made a Titan Main stage with 5 Minuteman Solids under it. 

As it flew the first stage didn't clear cleanly and flipped the whole main rocket completely 180.  Thankfully between decent gimble and enough control surfaces it made it back to on course after loosing 250m/s.

GkflsqA.pngqyP0VEm.png

Stacked a Orbital bus module to get the Hydrolox upper stage into orbit.  Detached the sample return before circularizing and sent it on its way.  got ready to circ.  RCS to clear the sample box.  Then proceeded to hit it as the burn started.

pmlkBi2.png

Sample return is now in 36kx240km orbit.  carefully drop the PE back down to 74km.  Made two passes and burned up the first heat shield dropping to orbital velocity.  got all the way down to flying low and jettisoned the heat shield remains. Then the sample box would not slow down and never fired the chutes.  /sigh  On to the Try number three.

@PT Advanced tweakables option.  Fuel flow priority settings can be set in flight and VAB.  Makes tuning balance easier too.

Edited by Bornholio

21 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

There's also "flow priority" which can prevent unexpected depletion of "universally shared" resources like Electric Charge and Monopropellant.  It works the same way with Lf/O when crossfeed is enabled.  Best of both worlds, once you have the habit of checking it in VAB -- but, BUT!!!  Flow priority will get munged if you undock and redock (as for an Apollo-style transposition to put your lander and command pod nose to nose for trans-Munar passage).  I've had a Mun mission command stage wind up reliant on the Mk. 1 Command Pod's reaction wheel (and tiny battery) because the RCS got used up -- and I'd undocked to discard the lander (on a burn-up orbit) before I noticed I had dry monopropellant tanks (hence couldn't redock, even if I had more than ten minutes until atmosphere).

That sounds even worse. I'll stick to disabling fuel tanks.

8 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

It's a fairly simple texture edit (plus some MODEL node wizardry).
S4hBVOD.png
...Hmm. Now I'm halfway tempted to do black w/red trim recolors of the rest of the Mk1 aero parts. 

Awesome !

Will you share it ?

Picked up a contract to put a Class D asteroid in orbit of Gilly. Sounded like fun, so I put the Atari 5200 Beta together.

I used to use sub-assemblies a lot, but I prefer to build each ship specifically for it's job, so I've grown adept at building sections upside-down when I need to.

screenshot352.png

As per usual, I was distracted with another mission and I forgot to set the alarm for the asteroid's encounter with Kerbin. I was angry, so I launched anyway and sent the ship after it (instead of just waiting for the next one like a normal person). Had to circle the sun for 4 years before I caught up with it.

screenshot335.png

I'm not sure why, but I always love the sight of an asteroid as I close in on it.

screenshot337.png

Grabbed it and started drilling, then towed it to it's new home.

screenshot345.png

Basically put an asteroid in the orbit of a (much larger) asteroid.

The crew ship detaches and heads home, leaving the miner in place for other ships to dock with and refuel, if necessary.

screenshot351.png

It was good fun, and highly lucrative, so I picked up a contract to put another Class D in orbit of Eeloo this time. That sounded like even more fun, so I launched the Atari 5200 Charlie. Pretty much the same ship, except this time I set the Mainsails out wider for better stability when towing the giant rock. The Beta version was a bit wobbly.

screenshot353.png

This one is now making the long journey to Eeloo, where it's refueling capabilities will come in handy, I'm sure.

screenshot349.png

Somehow landed on Duna, despite multiple Kraken attacks including phantom forces on my de-orbiting craft and a strange case where Duna's atmosphere seemed to change thickness, which made it impossible to aerobrake.  Had to de-orbit with the landing engines, gonna have to skip the bop landing.

https://db.tt/UuaP1RhwPY

https://db.tt/ytOOiGVGC0

Thanks for the welcome by the way!

After my fight with fuel crossfeed I finished test flight of White Base carrier. After Mun and Minmus tour, bunch of encounters, one crashed micro rover, plenty of docking and successful test of aerobraking it now awaits equipment for Duna mission. Now I just need some shuttle to bring tourists and pair of rescued scientist back home. Apparently roster crew can level up at nearby processing lab, yeey, first change I found that did not cause red alert at KSC.

And now its time to spend some time in VAB re-designing crafts for Duna. Somehow after all those years I never really went exploring other bodies, no science grind and space carriers focus prevented me from getting bored. Fully unlocked tech tree after Mun/Minmus is bad for fun, even with extra science parts I am still unlocking 300 point nodes.

Edited by PT

@JadeOfMaar Irradiation, an excellent idea. So I did it then also:

Today is an important day. Preparations are under strict secrecy. No one knows why Bill has built this device and is pulling the Grannus ship through the area.

0JAa4UF.jpg

He sets it before the astronaut complex and quickly hurried away again.

BTvJNfI.jpg

A little later, he arrives with a fence and places it.

DdbFYyp.jpg

Then it will be evening. The place is brightly lit and there are even more strange things before the entrance.

X8yyZeO.jpg

Slowly you can see a small group of kerbals who have positioned themselves in front of the ship. Reverently JeB, Bill, Bob and Valentina are standing here to honor Lagerlenna and Obfrey.

hikyss9.jpg

Jeb seizes the word:
We are here today to honor these two Gaelnauts. They are both a radiant example for us all. This memorial is to remind us forever of their courage and determination to dare a journey into the unknown. Never before has anyone dared to travel to the borders of the Cirosystem and not to know whether a homecoming would be possible. The only comrades with whom I would ever deny the venture of a space flight were to this day Bill, Bob and Valentina. Today, two more have been added, Lagerlenna and Obfry Kerman. With you both I would land on Ciro if it were possible.

Nj42bN7.jpg

OK, I am slowly making progress. I have the Minmus base established with five resident Kerbals. The liquid/oxidizer and monopropellent miners are churning away. My two tankers are slow, but dock perfectly with the miners. They can only safely move at about 5m/sec on the Minmus' surface, but that is fine because the miners are slower than that anyway. The fuel depot, with four FL-T400 fuel tanks, is half full.

The weak points are electricity and the shuttle. My miners, while thermally functioning great, shut down during the long Minmus nights for lack of suficent battery power. The shuttle, even with its RockMax 200-x16 fuel tank, isn't able to transfer significant amounts of fuel to the orbiting space station. I need to work on direct insertion from the Minmus' surface to the station, or go with an even bigger fuel capicity for my shuttle. My idea of a one-size-fits-all shuttle for both shuttling Kerbians and fuel is porbably flawed. I think I will keep the current shuttle for moving Kebals, but add a lighter un-manned shuttle for ferrying fuel up to the space station.

Originally my idea for this iteration of the game was to just learn how to do mining - but now I think I can do a manned mission to Duna...

I sent a mission to Dres. Solar panels are no longer useful that far away, so I switched from ions to nukes.

Spoiler

dres_mission_01.jpg

Now that nuclear engines use only LF, I'm forced to use airplane parts, and all my designs tend to look the same.
dres_mission_02.jpg

The usual stuff: deploying the lander and a tourist shot on the surface.

Spoiler

dres_mission_03.jpg
dres_mission_04.jpg

Bob went to investigate the canyon.

Spoiler

dres_mission_05.jpg

He had an accident.
dres_mission_06.jpg

Bob fell all the way to the bottom, about 3.4 km below the landing site.

Spoiler

dres_mission_07.jpg

As Bob was running out of propellant, Val had to take the lander down to the bottom.

Spoiler

dres_mission_08.jpg
dres_mission_09.jpg

Launching from a canyon to the correct inclination can be tricky.

Spoiler

dres_mission_10.jpg
dres_mission_11.jpg

Some serious aerobraking on the way home.

Spoiler

dres_mission_12.jpg

And the usual crew recovery.

Spoiler

dres_mission_13.jpg

Edited by Jouni
Stupid editor

Resumed my Elcano Challenge some days ago - see thread in fanworks Mission reports

Many new events - Discovering a 100 ton train doesnt float in the new water physics - but.. runs at 10ms on the bottom quite happily

w1oO1at.png

Driving - (on dry land) and getting to 158km from KSC

VUudmwv.jpg

XjJzD1V.png

Edited by Overland

Fooled around with some more texture editsRH5tDTP.png

12 hours ago, Triop said:

Awesome !
Will you share it ?

I'll have to do some looking to see what sort of license is needed/what restrictions apply for redistributing modified Squad textures, but assuming it's allowed, sure, why not?.

Got to work on my LEM.  I wanted something a bit more like the real funky shapped LEM but still fitting the form factor needed for my Saturn V and still sitting two kerbals.

o9iycw.jpg2utrubk.jpg

I have to fiddle with "Crew Transfer" to Unload the LEM properly meaning that the LEM pilot cannot be the first Kerbal to walk on the Moon (News that made Jeb unhappy).  The IVA of the "airlock" gets somewhat occluded because of where the cans lightly clip - though the total interior space is still roughly the same as the 2 kerbal lander can.  The lander has plenty of fuel and about 2 days worth of Life support (Kerbalism) which is sufficient for LEM operations (The CSM has almost 13 days of life support but since I'm using Stock Size Real Solar System that is overkill for anything it can reach and no where near enough for everything else).

The docking port in my crew recovery ship always looked like it belongs in a space station, so I started building one.

Spoiler

space_station_01.jpg

space_station_02.jpg

The required precision makes docking without RCS quite annoying.

space_station_03.jpg

9 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Fooled around with some more texture editsRH5tDTP.png

I'll have to do some looking to see what sort of license is needed/what restrictions apply for redistributing modified Squad textures, but assuming it's allowed, sure, why not?.

That is a very sweet bird !

What program do you use to change color ?

I messed around with paint.net but I don't know how to change color....

After 23 years and 390 days, Sigmin, Dudkin, Mirise and Desler Kerman are back from their trip to Hox. They initiate the braking maneuver, equal the inclination and wait at an orbit of 500km to be picked.

I4DO13h.jpg

They are picked up by Jeb with the crew shuttle.

JukShYn.jpg

The crew and 255 records are stowed, then they are undocking and it goes home. This time, the mothership and the lander remains alone. There are currently no upcoming missions scheduled for this ship.

eSC9iom.jpg

Re-entry into the atmosphere.

I4rCiQM.jpg

This time I could reduce the speed early enough. For this I come a bit obliquely to the runway.

4LiGIhu.jpg

Oddly, however, Jeb was able to land everything in one piece.

sYcKe2f.jpg

I could bring 17611,8 science points with me. Everyone in the crew received 68 XP.

nVt87hl.jpg