What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

17 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Nothing, for the simple reason of

maxresdefault.jpg

but that's no surprise, considering that I play KSP(and everything else for that matter) on a >--< And I do it with only 4 GB RAM. It only started acting up recently however.

was ist das? What is the source of that explosion. Did you launch a rocket?

@triop they don't regen all at the same time do they?

Methane Tankers....13kdV 120t. Needed to build something for testing DRE .dll for @Starwaster who is spending Sunday retooling it. /moreCrazyThanMe

YKy7f7R.png

Edited by Bornholio

I don't like planes. No matter what I do, they always fly a bit wrong. So when I build planes, I make sure they have enough engine power to overcome the lack of precision.

mountaintop_landing_1.jpeg

I also miss the early patches of 1.0, when planes could easily land anywhere. I used to have an airfield on the summit of the steep mountain near KSC. Now it's much harder to get there without crashing or overshooting.

mountaintop_landing_2.jpeg

mountaintop_landing_3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bornholio said:

was ist das? What is the source of that explosion. Did you launch a rocket?

It is roughly the same temperature of my computer when I play KSP.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

21 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

It is roughly the same temperature of my computer when I play KSP.

Really? That looks like a gasoline explosion, pretty tame. Sure its not closer to this?

latest_aia_304sept15bb.jpg

Hi I'm back again XD. 

Well guys, 1.3 is out and i've been tempted back to playing. I haven't got all my mods back yet (Haven't seen Kerbal Alarm Clock for 1.3 yet). Jeb started a new Career. Glory of Kerbin. 

So i did the basics for the start i did you traditional shoddy slapdash ships going nowhere for the Science. To get the Science  around the KSC i built a contraption. of a Juno engine strapped to a mk1 with some Wheels and the science tech i had at the time. What i did forget was that i should have put a wheel on the front of the 'car' 'rover' thing. 

So yeah. This is Bob's adventure. With the Science from this adventure, I sent Jeb up to complete your standard; Break the atmosphere and orbit Kerbin. He did the Atmosphere easily and did a couple of parts tests on the way. 

g42GwXq.jpg

After this i built a new ship 'Orbit Please' 

Now i think all of you will realize from the stats this is a little bit over built to achieve Orbit really. Lets just say that Jeb got the Orbit with alot of DV left over and Jeb went AWOL. Ignoring ground control he plotted and carried out a munar fly by even achieving a Munar Orbit for the science he could find there. 

This led to Ground Control panicking incoherently while Jeb was attempting the Maneuvers with manual Time Warps... He managed Orbit (Like an idiot he forgot to take any Pictures. But he did get a nice snap of this return trajectory. It was also at this point the engineers realized that there was no means of Electric generation on this ship... 

My next mission is going to be a Munar Landing. needless to say i will be redesigning the Orbit Please. But may keep the asparagus launch set up for any satellites or station parts i need to launch in the future, but damn that was over powered for its mission. XD 

Atm its nearly 1am. I have Grounded Jeb for going AWOL. :) I will have to let him out again after work tomorrow.

Edited by Thrawn889
Grammatical corrections (its late at night for me XD)

Took that SSTO on a minmus run. Seems to be fine, apart from the rover wanting to kill the solar panels....

Spoiler

SGNYyIy.png

UgzdUrK.png

kF4ILlV.png

sCP5w63.png

5tGnNXl.png

bbU8UaB.png

AItWMtT.png

Have yet to test reentry.....

I had 3 rescue Kerbal from low Minmus orbit contracts available at the same time in mission control so I decided to do them together. First I rescued Mirny along with her craft followed by Lisya and Theodous. The KSC is behind the capsule where the box is located.

You know that SSTO? Yeah, sorta turned it into a VTOL...

4AGdsP0.png

Okay, not a true vtol, as it doesn't have enough TWR on airbreathing rapiers to properly convert, but close enough.

Further testing reveals it doesn't like to SSTO anymore.... :(

Edited by qzgy

1 hour ago, Red Rocket Robert said:

Today, I was successful in putting my rocket into orbit for my first mission to Eve in career mode. When the timing is right I will begin the burn to Eve.

Probably showing I've only had 4 hours sleep but I read the last line as

"when the time is right, I will burn to eve"

to the tune of the tide is high and now I can't stop!!

"the purple world you will never leave"

"it's got this atmosphere, that will choke up all your nozels, aaahhhh oooooh oooh"

So umm yeah, welcome to the forums and ignore the crazy ones :wink: 

Today was a great day! My first Mars probe arrived.

4qWbGd7.jpg

I had ~700m/s left, so I decided to try a capture burn:

Mq9C83j.jpg

Success !!!

rlFkgQA.jpg

Mount Olympus looks impressive...

qknr75F.jpg

I also upgraded my heavy launcher:

Spoiler

The old one looked like that:

IrwtkVc.jpg

I switched from the LR-79 boosters to the E-1 boosters...

gWV0VLG.jpg

...from the RD-107 core stage to 2x LR-87-LH2....

xog2S1J.jpg

....and from the LR-91-7 upper stage engine to 2x RL-10-A3 engines.

SKmQnma.jpg

Edited by Julien Kerman

1 hour ago, Julien Kerman said:

Today was a great day! My first Mars probe arrived.

4qWbGd7.jpg

I had ~700m/s left, so I decided to try a capture burn:

Mq9C83j.jpg

Success !!!

rlFkgQA.jpg

Mount Olympus looks impressive...

qknr75F.jpg

I also upgraded my heavy launcher:

Hide contents

The old one looked like that:

IrwtkVc.jpg

I switched from the LR-79 boosters to the E-1 boosters...

gWV0VLG.jpg

...from the RD-107 core stage to 2x LR-87-LH2....

xog2S1J.jpg

....and from the LR-91-7 upper stage engine to 2x RL-10-A3 engines.

SKmQnma.jpg

omg this looks really good. What mod are you using and does it support 1.3?

4 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

Today was a great day! My first Mars probe arrived.  I had ~700m/s left, so I decided to try a capture burn: Success !!!

Mount Olympus looks impressive...I also upgraded my heavy launcher:

Likes to give = 0, All that remains is cookies...likes restored. Hope the cookie was tasty.

1428629581677.jpg

Edited by Bornholio

Further testing of the Nomad series of colony ships (aka "Napalm's Folly") :

She made orbit (never had any trouble with that), and -- with improved strut lattices -- survived warp!

AF1597076888D77F513AD9F83E917986DBE94CB0

The Jeb Seal of Approval!

FE72C4D5640D7193E14BEDA4291B8CA591AA2554

The next phase of testing, of course, is re-entry:

DEAD8F7E820E86741F93A774AD4F2FECFA062440

"KSC...we have a problem."

57A774FAC36086AAF533713EBE94197EDCF2EA59

Kerbonid meteor shower?:

CC8920A5BEA67A21D76B440B03EB490D55E8B6B6

"Situation normal. We're all fine. We're all fine here, now. How're you?"

780E28820F1E63ACDAC3A7AF556B36C448F41F16

Another successful test of the emergency systems, I guess? :P

I'd like to figure out how to get her back into atmo without using the mains...could be a conundrum, though...while I can shield the connectors for the living spaces with heat shielding, the new anti-Kraken struts were the first to fail from the heat...

Radiators. Definitely will try radiators, next.

-Jn-

@JoeNapalm - For reentry, have you tried using the inflatable heat shields? It looks like there are some spots where you can sacrifice fuel for heatshields...

An array of 5 or so might be able to cover the front. Then just stick some fins on the back to prevent it from flipping.

A bunch of radiators could also work, but then your EC goes quickly.

Your choice.

Edited by qzgy

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

@JoeNapalm - For reentry, have you tried using the inflatable heat shields? It looks like there are some spots where you can sacrifice fuel for heatshields...

An array of 5 or so might be able to cover the front. Then just stick some fins on the back to prevent it from flipping.

That's on the whiteboard, for sure...I can remove those shielded ports (was going to put observation cupolas there anyway) and replace with inflatable shields.

My only concern with going in nose first is the strain of the chutes pulling thousands of tons of ship in a 180 when they deploy...the black stripe on my Duna ribbon is from a similar design choice. :D 

(They survived, but were stranded and the save crashed before they could be rescued.)

My first attempt is going to be big radiators on the hottest parts. My experiments with them on the Flying Pig have shown they expel heat from all the components in the vicinity -- so hopefully they'll cool the struts and connectors long enough to slow her down -- the above re-entry was as shallow as I could make it, and still too much.

But I'd really like to have her coming in with the option of engine assist and having the landing gear oriented rockward...if possible.

We shall see...we shall see...

This is another reason I struggle with Career -- these tests would cost a bloody fortune. I have no idea what the Nomad costs, but she's definitely not cheap. Hell, she's so heavy it destroys a fully upgraded launch pad every time she lifts off!

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

1 hour ago, JoeNapalm said:

That's on the whiteboard, for sure...I can remove those shielded ports (was going to put observation cupolas there anyway) and replace with inflatable shields.

My only concern with going in nose first is the strain of the chutes pulling thousands of tons of ship in a 180 when they deploy...the black stripe on my Duna ribbon is from a similar design choice. :D 

(They survived, but were stranded and the save crashed before they could be rescued.)

My first attempt is going to be big radiators on the hottest parts. My experiments with them on the Flying Pig have shown they expel heat from all the components in the vicinity -- so hopefully they'll cool the struts and connectors long enough to slow her down -- the above re-entry was as shallow as I could make it, and still too much.

But I'd really like to have her coming in with the option of engine assist and having the landing gear oriented rockward...if possible.

We shall see...we shall see...

This is another reason I struggle with Career -- these tests would cost a bloody fortune. I have no idea what the Nomad costs, but she's definitely not cheap. Hell, she's so heavy it destroys a fully upgraded launch pad every time she lifts off!

-Jn-

Hmm. Okay then. What about chucking some engines on the front to flip the craft around after reentry heating? Like, literally stick a couple of thuds on the front to flip the craft over .

Whatever the solution may be, good luck with it.

Also - having such an expensive ship must be a pain in career...

1 hour ago, JoeNapalm said:

Try deploying your chutes in stages. Deogues and mains, different altitudes, different sides. Start them as high as possible to slowly flip the ship without worrying about actually slowing it yet. 

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Try deploying your chutes in stages. Deogues and mains, different altitudes, different sides. Start them as high as possible to slowly flip the ship without worrying about actually slowing it yet. 

That's an idea...I generally don't bother with drogues, but this is indeed the situation they're made for...

I could also strategically place some airbrakes. If I linked them to different action groups I could activate half to turn her, then engage the other half to stabilize her in the proper orientation.

Also need to add some more fuel and figure out some radially mounted nukes or something for a transit phase. It's all well and good to have four years of habitability for six Kerbals, but there's no point to it if they just make a few orbits and land again....

-Jn-

First day off in about three weeks, a good occasion to restart the "work".

Like the precedent XC-73A the XC-74A, for simple experimental and fun reasons, was built after a real aircraft and stayed in orbit for about five months. Today was the occasion to try its the performances during re-entry and landing :

af4qps5.png

(Master Myasishchev please forgive the insult I made of your creation...)

SFdfgPA.png

JJXSNld.png

Undocking and saying an umpteenth goodbye to the space tire.

LSDZeJ6.png

i4zkwjP.png

Disappointing result here... despite a full fuel transfer to the rear tank and a presentation over 45 degrees the craft start to drop its nose...

(Dear KSP team, what would you think about adding a new building to the KSC which will be a wind tunnel?)

M4V62A6.png

SezTJKv.png

High Overheating Temperature also know as HOT!

DIxWNV3.png

nJeKQ0A.png

I was desperate at this moment. The craft got such a good air penetration compared to my other ones that it wasn't decelerating enough to consider a landing at the KSC with the remnant of fuel onboard...

haqGhyq.png

Bj0ZDgW.png

So, over than traditional rerouting to the island airfield. For the first time I was happy more than ever before to have installed more than a single breaking chute here.

9dDRSvx.png

9B59ZaJ.png

Gear down on final. The craft appears to become really hard to control under 150 m/s, commands are responding as bad as if we were at 100 m/s for most of the other craft of this category.

iNTwTxD.png

(Pull up, pull up, PULL UUUUPPPP!!!)

vBtZv4N.png

ywxcF0i.png

zqPGaC8.png

Arrrrg controls are terribles! The two small landing gears parts placed in engine 2 and 3 nacelles are transforming the SSTO in a giant bumper car! Hopefully the chutes are making their job so well that I did not have to worry about the landing distance...

haF6sIx.png

Wpe6sxJ.png

TkDGK9P.png

At least this pair of small gears also make Varuna really easy to taxi and turn.

ZfrmVmQ.png

cndzRRf.png

I never doubted of Valentina.

Well, such a crazy craft to control and nice to get a good rise of heartbeats when you feel over-relaxed. I will share it once some really small problems will be settled.