What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After refuelling my tugs, filling my station's emergency reserve tanks and making a few more runs to partially fill the main tanks I finally had enough fuel to do some science landings on Ike.

3eiBS6q.jpg

Also managed to clear off a "Take gravioli measurements on the surface" contract that had been clogging up my Active list for years in-game.

I launched my Ariane 5 replica for the first time. I had tested the boosters prior to this however the main rocket stack had never been tested in flight before. This was the first attempt.

3iEQhth.png

Liftoff!

V4PuccK.png

QmyiRAB.png

The roll control was extremely sluggish. IRL the boosters are supposed to gimbal, however in KSP my only option was clipping small control surfaces in the boosters, which were not as effective as I had hoped.

g5rJlKL.png

1ogwTuX.png

After flying a very steep trajectory, the booster separated.

4oKDqBo.png

Speed at booster sep was very low... Ariane 5 has a both a low thrust core stage and upper stage so this was a race against gravity.

kHJoTkL.png

Fairing Sep. The payload for this flight was a 36 ton orange tank, though I'm pretty sure this rocket can lift more. Maybe 50 tons.

tpCi3bG.png

CjXrb6s.png

The core stage actually had more than enough delta-V to reach orbit and beyond. But stage 1 flight was cut short when I accidentally hit spacebar. :rolleyes:

Odzz6Zo.png

The upper stage reached Mun orbit before running out of fuel. If the core stage didn't leave unexpectedly this would have reached Duna.

AmpSpnd.png

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

Got 40 minutes off to make the inaugural flight of Vishnu light-shuttle :

rzIL7xu.png

Finally choose to make it ride the main core instead of placing it at the top.

FaWufwu.png

1TOXmjV.png

The whole system appeared to be hard to control. Hopefully we already were at 27 km when the SRB were jettisoned.

vYFNZLh.png

VZZSC9X.png

For a reason I couldn't explain I really like the second shot. Ap was placed at 200 km and at his moment the main core still got about 700 m/s available.

6LM8PPc.png

ZBNc6Mu.png

Of course, with just 0.26 of TWR, the craft is terrible when it had to circularize...

E272SFO.png

Just a bit more than one orbit and it already was the time to come back.

1C9HF7z.png

Cj97gfc.png

For sure it's one of the most stable craft I made for the re-entry, it nearly didn't move. Having overshot the KSC I was about to re-route to the Island...

tWUtWlI.png

... but finally decided to turn-back to the Center, a step dive being the most welcome here.

rASNjbz.png

P96gN2E.png

Vishnu appeared to be a nice glider too, I mean it's not totally a flying brick. A parachute vertical descent was possible instead of a horizontal landing but I preferred to test its comportment until the end.

a3ifHLh.png

4eHAuUP.png

A soft landing but I once again forget something... the suspension! The craft was bouncing around in terrible boing-boing, SAS deactivation solves the problem.

I still need to work on it and build a specific launcher for.

I built a serious crew shuttle. The old one was rather silly, after all.

Spoiler

crew_shuttle_1.jpeg

The plane is not too bad on the ascent. It also looks decent, though the RCS thrusters are too exposed for my taste.

crew_shuttle_2.jpeg

It can also dock with my typical interplanetary ships, fulfilling its purpose.

crew_shuttle_3.jpeg

The descent is worse, though. I can either pump some fuel from the rear tank to the forward tank to make the plane very stable during reentry, or I can keep the fuel where it is for an easy landing, but I can't achieve both. That's why I don't like planes.

Spoiler

crew_shuttle_4.jpeg

Not today, but here's screenshots of swingbys on Jool system.

byJknIB.png

Laythe capture is not only practical, but also allows voyage to other moons in relatively shorter period. Why Tylo?

Just more pics: (Immersive on personal appetite - edit: kerbal system in a nutshell?)

Shlx71L.png

Spoiler

yYTiGJH.png

Besides, spinning top seems to be a thing in ksp. This thing refused to stop spinning until I accidentally timewarped.

fivQxcQ.png

This thing needs to be shaped.

Edited by Reusables

Today my son and did science viewing. Last night I battered the surface of mars with a bulldozer at 600m/s dang failing chutes...

YBraNsk.jpgCCTpsWG.jpg

View post on imgur.com

Entering mars atmosphere, drag profile elevated until thermal shock heating starts.

Kraqm0q.png

Spoiler

Hammer down, aero capture and all the fuel left in the transit stage burned.

HaSKZ2f.png

This bulldozer is way off target, but whatever, its landing.

q2omcON.png

Heat part two. The Solids fired 3 seconds to late. Litho breaking all components.

Qv33KK1.png

Edited by Bornholio

I launched a two-staged rocket with 'Skipper' engines on both stages. But the first stage failed, unable to launch. So I separated the second stage, and off it goes.

Little did I know the first stage can only lift itself.

Separated second stage lifts off

xXOQlof.png

First stage lifting off by itself

(left : Second stage; Right: first stage)

8XzwTqh.png

The first stage

YXSGJ4Q.png

I am going to rebuild the whole first stage, without skipper engines.

EDIT: I rebuilt the first stage, replaced the skipper engines with RE-M3 "Mainsail". It turns out the launch was pretty well, and got into a very high orbit (779,000m ) with much fuel left.

26c9Atq.png

7UMvdZQ.png

Orbit burn

JeblFOb.png  

gMXtBR1.png

I forgot to bring a payload, but it was just a test anyway!

Edited by KerbalNetwork
to add more content

KSP : Real Solar System (RSS)

Today I launched my first rocket made in 10 minutes. It went on a suborbital flight. Its name is abc_xyz .

Image below shows rocket on launchpad before launch :

CLiyITP.png

Liftoff!

8h0qScC.png

First stage seperation :

yHtOw5f.png

2nd stage burn :

fIKRSdn.png

Exiting the atmosphere :

TAnBws7.pngI

It all went well. I checked my map and sure enough, it made a sub-orbital orbit.

wxDw2Tg.png

After that, I forgot to take screen shots (sorry for that). But the flight did end well and splashed down in the ocean.

Edited by Irfzwan

Today I finally wrote the next chapter in my GPP grand tour. (KSP 1.2.2) Niven Ops

There was plenty KIS action. A drone plane arrived with two containers for the crew of GPGT Station to hang onto, and some parts to attach and make available right away for later use.

tjmRo5k.jpg

And there was plenty rover action. I dropped it into atmosphere because it's an SSTO! It has a chute too, thanks to Ven, but the hot, thin atmo made it useless.

q4kN8iY.jpg 

And drove 24km to the top (well, one of the tops) of that mountain over there.

HliR2mK.jpg

Morning, 07.30, what can be done before leaving for the work? KSP of course!..

But just for a short time, or at least that was what I expected (:/).

It was the occasion to finish the flight of Eve Express, launched in December.

9wxL6SW.png

qzSETRY.png

E.E is my first ever probe ever launched to Eve in about three years of playing... I sent a rover sooner in 1.0.5 but the creation of the network system later totally modify the deal. And it's pretty good, at least it forced me to try it.

AXrLOUX.png

E.E now is close from its final destination. The inclination was not satisfying alas and needed a expensive correction...

mc4dWOR.png

GDTa5gU.png

Eve seems so beautiful and peaceful from here. Thanks to @Galileo for his awesome Stock Visual Enhancements mod.

6ufbA9e.png

8moxiip.png

The deceleration point alas was in the dark side of the planet... the second stage also was not capable to complete the whole maneuver of re-inclining...

pLbecUx.png

Forcing to use the probe engines which, hopefully, got more than 2 km/s available but with such low TWR... that the maneuver needed 13 minutes to complete!

cQPT4wx.png

RR6gFoJ.png

iMO0TtN.png

Yay! Finally! My first probe orbiting Eve! As for Duna once all the antennas deployed it got enough power for a direct link to the KSC and will allow me to send a rover to one of the planet's poles.

But that's another story.

Edited by XB-70A

Today, again, I built a second version of the original rocket that I made earlier today, called Arrowel 2. I know this sounds weird, but I guess it can carry heavy payloads to LKO. I placed Thumper boosters and added extra fuel tanks.

Of course, screenshots of the test launch.

iqnsKI3.png

ebgwJJO.png

So I've been mucking about in sandbox, first thing I did was make a large orbital EPL station, but seem to not have photos of it, when I next spend 20 minutes on boot up I'll grab some, anyway, I've been making giant ships and bases.

First off to minmus greater flats

The Gateway base

5tFuGln.jpg 

Spoiler

It has a runway, and launch pad and essentially limitless supplies with greenhouses, fertilizer generators and a good source of materials to harvest!

SATP5rW.jpgxzvptSy.jpg 

Next up the Tundra base on Duna, getting it there was a pain, but then dropped into the atmosphere with a tonne of parachutes, re-entry on duna is not gonna make stuff explode it turns out

XJXHEKF.jpgP8K5qNY.jpg

Finally getting kerbals to places and back again was thought about and the GEV-001 Horizon was built in the great foundries around kerbin (took ten of my biggest launchers to get enough metal into orbit)

qILtP6f.jpg 

Spoiler

Her main engine is a Medusa, which produces a lot of thrust, she also has two karborundum fusion drives and a couple of light LFO drives as well as back up systems and the Karborundum is for within system burns, and the LFO for near stations (don't wanna irradiate everyone!) Crew capacity for 50 kerbals, though only has 14, and they can all be cryo'd on the journey, plenty of supplies and colony starting kit as well.

Maidenflight is to Moho

zTRdX73.jpgGotta love them nuke explosions, very very kerbal!!

Finished the final 100m/s with the fusion drive for precision

gOf4lnN.jpgExit burn was 10,000m/s and the insertion burn was 15,000m/s, and only a tenth of the way through the nuclear bomb reserves

WGhL8ry.jpgPut the pilot into cryo sleep and they now await a base and some surface things to do

sMJeCyK.jpg 

Like I said previously when I eventually get back to a careermode I think I'll merge these in t discover to have some cool ships early on, but because they work with expensive/unobtainable fuels they can be limited in use by that! The bases should be fun, the aim is to have duna self sustaining and make a Duna spaceprogram (without modding KSC there!)

I was testing small rockets, which I usually don't build. One of the tests involved a manned flight beyond the orbit of Minmus and a direct return to Kerbin. After the capsule barely survived aerobraking, I noticed that it was going to land within a few kilometres of KSC. I decided to steer the capsule to land at the space center.

precision_landing_1.jpeg

I didn't manage to hit the VAB or the launchpad, but at least Jeb landed home.

precision_landing_2.jpeg

I watched this video about using a rover to build a base on Mun. I thought the rover was pretty cool on its own but I wanted to see if I could get it the the Mun. So I sort of "recreated" the video poster's rover and much less powerful launch vehicle for the heck of it to see what it could do.

Needless to say I was stunned, to put it mildly, when it was a success. The only time I used MJ was for the landing because I surely would have run out of fuel if I tried to do it myself.

8xB5ctL.png

zBFqfa4.png

iRknIC6.png

I prepared for World War K, and starting off, we had Val co-pilot Lieutenant Bryson "Buck" Kerman on a training flight in the T-100. Here's the album.

23 hours ago, XB-70A said:

a3ifHLh.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT'S CLOSE!!!!!