What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did a thing:

ifywEwO.png

And... I just realised I used a template of a map of Kerbin from the pre-0.18 days, when the geography was slightly different - But what the hell, I'm not doing all that again. Will have a post later today in my mission reports thread going into more detail of my Kerbin's geography.

Today my space agency started work on a ridiculous reusable first stage concept, nicked from inspired by the Kerbus' Kadeline-project. Behold, I present to you the Kerbodyne Aerospace Reusable First Stage - mk. 1 (commonly known as the "Fat Flying Sausage"):

1cd4beD.jpg

Tests were conducted to analyze the stage's flying capabilities, see pictures and link to album below. The first test revealed  some ... minor issues regarding the runway's landing weight tolerance. The second test helpfully led the boffins' attention to some problems regarding the landing gear placement. (Sources close to the project report that an engineer was fired. The disgruntled ex-employee was last seen driving his Kerliant Robin out of the Kerbal Space Center.) The fourteenth third test was deemed a success.

Oh, by the way: The gazillion parachutes you see in front of the craft were there just as an indicator of the engineers confidence in the design concept extra safety measure, and is by all means no means an integral part of the stage's landing system.

If you by now have concluded that my space agency has initiated a million-funds-screw-up, you are probably right.

Edited by Rocketfuelgoesboom

Launched my first ever "official" mission to Duna with a satellite for Kerbodyne to be stationed in a Tundra orbit of the Red Planet.  I launched early, before the planets were in the ideal position, but that is being reserved for a major mission involving landers and an orbiter, so Kerbodyne's satellite won't be in position for quite some time yet.

A nice simple little contract to launch a satellite into a Kerbin orbit for Rokea Inc.  This one was completed without too much difficulty, and the money earned will help fund this big planned Duna mission.

Oh and I also killed Jeb... ;.; ;.; ;.;

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

Weapons testing is successful! I think the recruits are ready for the big toys...

EDIT: As I was setting up the next few photos where Val leads the recruits on a patrol, the game crashed.... UGH

Edited by DarkOwl57

Since Kerbalkind first gazed upon the stars, one question has haunted them: Does Dres really exist? Two years, two-hundred eighteen days ago they launched the "Didn't Forget About Dres" probe to find out for sure. Today, it finally arrived.

nzhJCcz.png

So my science/scanning/relay probe finally arrived at Dres. This one was launched a long time ago, before I'd figured out things like transfer windows and efficient interplanetary travel. I was doing interplanetary missions by launching to just outside of Kerbin's SOI, putting a manoeuvre node on the nearest AN/DN marker to match planes, then doing a transfer from solar orbit to the target planet. Needless to say, these missions took a while. Still, I'd unlocked enough of the tech tree before launching this probe that it still does everything I need a probe to do; it's got the most powerful relay dish available, both types of mineral scanners as well as one of every repeatable science experiment (along with a Science Jr. and Mystery Goo Container, which seemed like good ideas at the time, and a Seismic Accelerometer, which I have no excuse for,) all powered by an RTG. The next step will be manned landings, but that will have to wait until Explorer-1 is finished the inner planet portion of its mission.

In other news, I turned my Minmus station into a giant mess yet again.

GDHSIJV.jpg

Currently docked with it are a ship bound for Duna (well, the payload for one; the ship itself will be one of my standard-issue Shover Robot tugs) which will finally land Kerbals on the Reddish Planet, and two Pol-bound missions to set up a mining base and orbital fuel depot there. Normally this would be the point in my planetary development strategy where I start sending manned missions, but given the extremely long travel time necessary to reach Jool I'm going to keep things unmanned for now; I'd hate to have a Kerbal couped up inside a spaceship for years just to have them crew a station or mining outpost around a barren rock for still more years. Once I've extended my Jool infrastructure to Laythe I'll start sending Kerbals there.

On the graduation flight for the UKPTA (United Kerbin Pilot Training Academy), Col. Valentina Kerman took Triop Kerman and Bryson Kerman (The top 2 in the class) out on their first patrol mission. The mission was successful, with no unknown airborne contacts sighted, and displaying the world the airpower of the UKAF in the F-21 Blue Jay.

Some new planes for X-plane of the Day.

8nReAcM.png

The XB-52 Stratofortress. The cockpit was redesigned in the production model, but I think this one is so much sleeker.

oqUfIgu.png

And the Bell X-5. This was designed to test the qualities of a variable geometry (swing wing) design. Ironically, it wasn't the first VG plane to fly, as it lost to the Grumman XF-10 Jaguar. Also, it wasn't an original design, instead adapted from captured German designs (although the German design could only adjust wing sweep on the ground.)

I went to the Mun because it's there, and because it's the closest place you can test new designs.

The rocket didn't look too reasonable.

Spoiler

ion_mun_1.jpeg

Approaching the Mun.

Spoiler

ion_mun_2.jpeg

I've liked ion landers since the ion engines were made ridiculously powerful in 0.23.5. They make no sense, but they make everything more interesting. Even a Mun landing starts resembling a Tylo landing.

ion_mun_3.jpeg

The kerbals always just plant a flag and return home.

Spoiler

ion_mun_4.jpeg

I barely managed to charge the batteries before nightfall.

ion_mun_5.jpeg

There were a lot of explosions during the reentry.

Spoiler

ion_mun_6.jpeg

Edited by Jouni

Nice Mun mission @Sayeret_1711! It's a pretty good-looking lander for a first Mun mission. I would suggest fewer landing legs though - getting the symmetries right can be a pain sometimes (particularly with that sort of tank arrangement), but generally you don't need more than 4 legs (having 8 tends to be overkill for a lander with a circular base). The main reasons I suggest fewer are because of less mass (in all cases) and also less drag (in cases like yours presumably is, where the landing legs are not hidden by a fairing, although I can't tell for certain since you didn't show the launch configuration).

Also, regarding screenshots, the first is great; landing screenshots with all the kerbals standing in front of the lander are one of the most popular ways to show off a mission, as they pretty much summarize a landing mission with a single image. However, your second screenshot doesn't really show the spacecraft very well because of the shadows. Usually it's best to get a view of your spacecraft when the camera is facing away from the sun (like in the first picture) so that the design is lit up well. That said, silhouette screenshots against the sun can be nice, but generally those work best when you have the spacecraft directly in front of the sun so that the general shape of it is visible (because otherwise you have a black spacecraft shadow against the blackness of space, which means not a whole lot of contrast).

Still though, the most important thing is having fun, and I wish you luck with your future missions to the Mun and beyond.

EDIT 2: Thanks to the mods for moving this to the correct thread!

Landed an unmanned rover on Iota, complete with BonVoyage module.

pnC6k6G.png

The landing itself was uneventful

vzi820q.png

Fe8wgr3.png

Then, I decided "I'm going to manually rove up that mountain".

ce2YgrA.png

Gravity was so low that, when catching some vacuum, I could collect magnetometer data and retract the boom before landing. And it wasn't very close, either.

eAcGQ4p.png

This image shows me near a boulder. What it does not adequately show is what direction I was moving.

yNivdv7.png

I had one bounce to not crash my expensive rover straight into a boulder. Fortunately, I span out and narrowly avoided landing on the back of the rover, filled with instruments and solar panels.

I should do reckless things like this more often.

Edited by Starman4308