What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

You know we are talking about the mun, right? I guess that technically these numbers do apply, but they shouldn't be the same for the mun.

D'oh!  Okay, divide all velocities mentioned above by about 100 for Munar orbit.  And since the orbital velocity is a bit more than 20% of Kerbin's, it makes MUCH less difference what direction you launch from Mun.

Well, continuing a hard mode career run with only MechJeb as a mod... considering that the farthest I got on an easy mode run two years ago was the Mun & lotsa probles.  Probably some rage quits when I crash a tourist boat at 700 m/s (hey it was decelerating! ... and that's what drogue shoots are for, right? )  Also discovering the shear magic that are Service Bays against, well, shear forces.

And further learning that rocket science isn't hard, it's just unforgiving.... like the earlier run that I had to let go at -500 prestige, 500 bucks and a roster full of dead Kerbal's 'cause Jeb went lead foot and wouldn't listen to reason on launch.

The kraken god was displeased with me, Killed Jebediah and Sherlo on their decent to the mun for a mining mission, They did not survive.

So, after cleaning up some of my mods, I made a new career, this time with even harder settings!

40 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

How'd you get that transparent cockpit? :0.0:

Mouse over your kerbal's portrait. In one corner there should be a small circular dot/button. Click on that.

Anyways, I worked more on my shuttle launch script. It now reliably makes orbit. It can even go to inclined orbits, however it isn't particularly accurate.

Here I told it to go to a 60° inclined orbit.

msbELis_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

It isn't efficient in how it gets to it either, it kind of curves throughout the launch instead of doing it directly.

3 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Mouse over your kerbal's portrait. In one corner there should be a small circular dot/button. Click on that.

Anyways, I worked more on my shuttle launch script. It now reliably makes orbit. It can even go to inclined orbits, however it isn't particularly accurate.

It isn't efficient in how it gets to it either, it kind of curves throughout the launch instead of doing it directly.

How did you code that in?

oh I'm also Also back on DMP

Edited by kerbinorbiter

5 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

How did you code that in?

oh I'm also Also back on DMP

If you're asking about the mod I used, it's kOS (link pending). If you're asking about my script, I'll put that in this spoiler:

Spoiler

//Script to assist the launch of a space shuttle to LKO.

//Pilot inputs

//Inc - Desired inclination

//Alt - Desired altitude, not currently in use

//Ship start stats getter

Set Start_Lf to ship:liquidfuel.

//Set Start_Mass to ship:mass.        //Will use the to determine needed engines and whether RCS is needed

Set Start_Pt to 83.            //Determines how far back the nose should be pulled to fly straight up. Is relative to the horizon

Set Curr_Pt to Start_Pt.

Set Orb_Hdg to 270 - Inc.                 //determines heading for shuttle going prograde along orbit, belly up, only applicable near equator

Lock Req_Hdg to (Orb_Hdg - ship:geoposition:lat).     //VERY fudged equation for heading along any orbit... Doesn't work well at all

//T Timer setup-----------------------

Set T0 to time:seconds.                    //Sets T0 to the time of launch

Lock Timer to (time:seconds - T0).            //Sets up counter of time since launch

//------------------------------------

RCS on.                        //Activates RCS, will not be needed for heavy weight launches

Lock steering to heading(0, 180 - Curr_Pt).

Lock throttle to 1.0.

Stage.                        //Launches

AG7 on.                        //Turns off upper SME, only will be included for low weight launches

Print "T- 0".

If (Req_Hdg < 180)    //Clockwise turn

{

Set Curr_Hdg to 0.

Until ((Curr_Hdg - Req_Hdg) < 1)

{

Clearscreen.

Set Curr_Hdg to Curr_Hdg + 0.5.             // Rotates 5deg/s c

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 180 - Curr_Pt).

Print "Curr_Hdg: " + Curr_Hdg.

Print "Curr_Pt: " + Curr_Pt.

Print "T- " + round(Timer, 3).

Wait 0.05.

}.

}

Else            //Counterclockwise turn

{

Set Curr_Hdg to 360.

Until ((Curr_Hdg - Req_Hdg) < 1)

{

Clearscreen.

Set Curr_Hdg to Curr_Hdg - 0.5.             // Rotates 5deg/s cc

Print "Curr_Pt: " + Curr_Pt.

Wait 0.05.

}.

}.

Lock Curr_Hdg to Req_Hdg.

Set Alt_Base to ship:altitude.

Until (ship:liquidfuel < Start_Lf - 12000)

{

Clearscreen.

Print "Pitch: " + Curr_Pt.

Wait 0.05.

Set Curr_Pt to Start_Pt - ((ship:altitude - Alt_Base) / ((10000 - Alt_Base)/(Start_Pt - 40))).    //Fudged gravity turn, could change to be more efficient

}.

//Booster separation procedure    -    -    -    -    I need to set it up so that the heading, pitch, and timer can be displayed

Clearscreen.

Print "Pitch: " + (Curr_Pt + 10).

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 170 - Curr_Pt).

Wait until (ship:liquidfuel < Start_Lf - 12238).

Lock throttle to 0.1.                        //Cuts throttle to kee from hitting boosters

Stage.

AG7 off.

Print "Booster Sep!".

Set T_Sep to time:seconds.

Lock throttle to time:seconds - T_Sep + 0.25.            //Ramps throttle back up over the next 3/4ths of a second

Wait until (time:seconds - T_Sep + 0.25 > 1).

Lock throttle to 1.0.

Set Alt_Base to ship:altitude.                    //Sets up value which helps with next fudged gravity turn section

//"Gravity" turn continued

Until (ship:apoapsis > 75000)                    //Currently assumes you want orbit between 75 and 70km, will change

{

Clearscreen.

Print "Pitch: " + Curr_Pt.

Wait 0.05.

Set Curr_Pt to 40 - ((ship:altitude - Alt_Base) / ((70000 - Alt_Base)/(Start_Pt + 0))).    //Fudged gravity turn, could change to be more efficient

}.

Lock throttle to 0.0.

AG9 on.                                //Activates fuel cells now that alternates aren't active

Wait 1.0.

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 175).

Wait 5.

RCS off.                            //Turns RCS off for coast to apo to conserve fuel

AG4 on.                                //Toggles lower 2 SMEs to minimize RCS needed to maintain stability

Wait until ((1890 - ship:orbit:velocity:orbit:mag) / (3000 / ship:mass) > ETA:apoapsis - 20).

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 180).

Wait until ((1890 - ship:orbit:velocity:orbit:mag) / (3000 / ship:mass) > ETA:apoapsis - 10).

RCS on.                                                //Turns RCS back on in prep for burn

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 192).

Wait until ((1890 - ship:orbit:velocity:orbit:mag) / (3000 / ship:mass) > ETA:apoapsis).    //Starts burn when time to apo is ~1/2 that needed to complete circ

Lock throttle to 1.0.

Until (ship:periapsis > 70000)                //Extremely fudged pitch manipulator for circularization burn. Currently makes shuttle buck like a horse!

{

If (ship:verticalspeed < 0)

{

If (ship:verticalspeed < -10)

{

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 180).    //If shuttle is falling "fast", points shuttle at horizon, thus engines 20ish deg above horizon

}

Else

{

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 187.5).    //If shuttle is falling "slow", point shuttle a little below horizon, eng 14ish deg above horiz

}.       

}

Else

{

Lock steering to heading(Curr_Hdg, 195).    //Points engines horizontal if shuttle is not falling down

}.

}.

Lock throttle to 0.0.

Wait 1.0.

RCS off.    //Shuts off RCS to conserve fuel again

AG2 on.    //Shuts off and locks gimbal on all SMEs, and activates OMS engines

AG2 off.    //Shuts down OMS engines so when the throttle is released, they don't start burning at whatever the throttle was before the program was activated

Print "Orbit achieved! Releasing controls!".

Wait 1.

Unlock steering.

SAS on.            //Turns RCS on as a convenience for the player

Unlock throttle.

Sizeable portions need to completely rewritten to do things efficiently, accommodate different payloads, and reach inclined orbits accurately.

9 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I have been doing the same (was just too lazy to code the circularization burn so far).

The reason why the inclination is off is the rotation of kerbin i believe... so in order to get perfect inclinced orbits we have to factor that in. So far I have only been launching up to 25° which gave me an inaccuracy of about 1.6° (if I remember correctly) and I could not be bothered to fix it yet^^

But if you do the math wizardry hit me up and I will gladly c+p that ;p

(Doing continuous correction burns on the way up isn't a viable solution imo... I would either not bother with it at all or do it right from the start...)

If you are interested you can find my (horribly formatted / structured) code on my github. Crafts that are working with it are on my kerbal x page.

I will test a 60° inclination later with my sts launchscript - genuinely interested in the results I will get...

Edit: Does anyone know what generally acceptable error margins on orbit inclinations are in real life? I am not entirely sure whether an accurate solution to this problem exists or not... (without spending much thought on it)

Edited by Fulgora

4 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Got turned down for life insurance. :( 

Cupcake...

Great plane, super video and I love the music!

I turned it up!

On 26-6-2017 at 0:42 AM, eddiew said:

Failed to unlock a 3-kerbal pod. Sent three kerbals to the moon anyway. Koenig, Nimoy and Doohan seem happy to be there regardless of their weird ride.

SsAtAlR.png

(That engine is massive overkill. I realised this after transfer stage separation. With a simple Terrier, might well have managed to biome hop, but nuuuu...)

I see the United Federation of Planets has a new environmental policy and is trying to sell it.

Do you hear that ?? The loud music ?? It comes from the Astronaut Complex, there is a party going on

The Kerbals just received a message from Jeb, who landed successfully on the surface of the moon!!

wTMxKD9.jpg

Everything went as perfect as the final test run from Yesterday.

Launch on Saturn Va, no problems:

RDbD3EG.jpg

Transfer burn:

CQT2EiW.jpg

lsVOLsg.jpg

3f1bfke.jpg

Jeb planted the flag, then he had a bit trouble getting back in the command pod because up there were no ladders.

Ascent and Splashdown were also as planned:

hP4NHGp.jpg

MxSLtzO.jpg

That was my very first manned Moon landing in RSS RO RP0 :) I was not able to land there in 1969, but hey 1971 is also quite good!

On 26-6-2017 at 3:44 PM, Tex_NL said:

But today I got one that made my sphincter move like a rabbits nose for a second.

And as we see here the Dutch are also proficient in the fine art of making colourful visualizations.

15 hours ago, Laucivol said:

Well, continuing a hard mode career run with only MechJeb as a mod... considering that the farthest I got on an easy mode run two years ago was the Mun & lotsa probles.  Probably some rage quits when I crash a tourist boat at 700 m/s (hey it was decelerating! ... and that's what drogue shoots are for, right? )  Also discovering the shear magic that are Service Bays against, well, shear forces.

And further learning that rocket science isn't hard, it's just unforgiving.... like the earlier run that I had to let go at -500 prestige, 500 bucks and a roster full of dead Kerbal's 'cause Jeb went lead foot and wouldn't listen to reason on launch.

Welcome to the forum! We need more Krakenbusters here. Venkman, lead the way!