What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I don't know why I did this, but even though I could just use the EVA pack, I made an SRB lander for Gilly.

a8ffQ1Z.png

Two separatrons. One fires for the de-orbit burn, and the single landing leg is enough to cushion the 18m/s impact. The second one gets us back into orbit.

Yay, progress!

I hope you're taking notes on all this so you remember when to hit space in the actual mission. :D

stupid daily like limit...

6 hours ago, xendelaar said:

that's really impressive.  I'm not even able to get into orbit with only srb's and you're doing a grand tour?? that's Amazing!

Well, that's the plan at least. I may have to bend the definition of "Grand Tour" (E.G. bringing new boosters from Kerbin after every stop (refueling, sort of) and MAYBE not departing Kerbin with all of my landers on board, both to save my computer from melting) and also use RCS to dock in some cases, and I may not ever finish it. But, yes. That is the plan!

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

hope you're taking notes on all this so you remember when to hit space in the actual mission. :D

*Opens Google Sheets*

(Directly copied and pasted from said google sheet)

HOW IN THE WORLD EACH LANDER WORKS

Lander Notes
Eve - Set PE slightly west of landing site if orbit is 100km. If not, then you're in trouble... Try and get the right ascent profile or else you die. Remember to mark the mountain.
Tylo - Combine Separatron stages together. Use lots of quicksaves. Land SLOWLY or else. You need to jump to get into the lander. If you tip over, can't help you.
Gilly -  In the event of an emergency, don't die.

I'm helping myself, SOOOO much, aren't I?

Addtion to spreadsheet:

If you are clueless, check around page 1400 in WDYDIKSPT?

This isn't really "what I did today" exactly.  But I just picked up a contract that dovetailed nicely with a few others I already had in my metaphorical pocket.

I now have contracts for:  Station in Kerbin orbit.  Station in solar orbit.  Fly by Eve.  Station in Eve orbit.  Station in Gilly orbit.  Mine Ore on Gilly.

Gee...  I wonder where I should go next...?  :cool:

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, that's the plan at least. I may have to bend the definition of "Grand Tour" (E.G. bringing new boosters from Kerbin after every stop (refueling, sort of) and MAYBE not departing Kerbin with all of my landers on board, both to save my computer from melting) and also use RCS to dock in some cases, and I may not ever finish it. But, yes. That is the plan!

*Opens Google Sheets*

(Directly copied and pasted from said google sheet)

HOW IN THE WORLD EACH LANDER WORKS

Lander Notes
Eve - Set PE slightly west of landing site if orbit is 100km. If not, then you're in trouble... Try and get the right ascent profile or else you die. Remember to mark the mountain.
Tylo - Combine Separatron stages together. Use lots of quicksaves. Land SLOWLY or else. You need to jump to get into the lander. If you tip over, can't help you.
Gilly -  In the event of an emergency, don't die.

I'm helping myself, SOOOO much, aren't I?

Addtion to spreadsheet:

If you are clueless, check around page 1400 in WDYDIKSPT?

how do you calculate how much delta v you need for each stage?  do you use maths?  or do you simulate stuff with hyper edit

I decided to make a procedural Atlas rocket, just like @regex, for my career game... just 'cause I liked how shiny the procedural Atlas texture was. Yes, that's it. That's the only reason. But it does have about 100 units more fuel capacity than its Bluedog Design Bureau counterpart.

Comparison between the two - the BDB one on the left, my custom one on the right.

VrNgkPI.jpg

Yes, I used the BDB booster engine fairings, but I couldn't be bothered to make my own because it was hard to make them without overusing the structural parts and weighing the vehicle down and lowering the LKO power capacity.

KZPZt0d.jpg

eLdjott.jpg

t25gtjK.jpg

My Jupiter Orbiter performed an Io flyby:

ILyn8wp.jpg

qczjmLS.jpg

niuYsj8.jpg

Closest approach: 60km

mwD8t9B.jpg

Also, the "Pioneer 11 transfer window" opened, that means I can send a probe to Saturn within 6 years using a Jupiter flyby. I launched 2 probes, the first one got the encounters,

the second one failed.

11 hours ago, ARS said:

pcf5I6k.png

MIght try to improve the design a bit to make it possible for SSTO operation :)

I thought for a moment it was this guy...

Spoiler

4964169-diagram.jpg

(Although I'm pretty sure his aero balance is out of whack what with four engines at the back and the wings in the middle.)

Edited by eddiew

Landed on Triton. Originally i wanted an orbiter to find out what the dV budget is, should I ever decide to visit it in the future. Overengineered it to the point where I could take off, get to orbit and land again. Well, enough margin for a bigger payload or faster transit. Also found out that delta-v charts on the internet lie. There's no stable orbit at 100km - the atmosphere in KSP begins at 110km, although it really only kills your timewarp.

Edited by ptr421

Started getting familiar again with KAS-based construction. No actual KAS pipe connections were active but a flying Sombrero solar panel and "jump truck™" happened. Buffalo wheels and the solar panel while not properly attached to a craft, showed themselves to become kraken bait when coming off rails.

Sombrero solar panel is atop one of the two long crates on the back of the same truck. At the time it was equipped like a jetpack to Harmund Kerman. It nearly made him ragdoll to death too.

sR4wS50.jpg

nTYSv1w.jpg 48Tm8e3.jpg

In addition, Valentina (driving the other truck, far left) forgot about Bob who came out and stood in front of it, and she ran him over. The "untitled" buggy is just an emergency craft with KIS space, for that "Oh! Maybe I need this other thing!" moment.

Ch8lwWP.jpg

Tested a super-manoeuvrable fighter: ECq1KM3.png
Requires pretty much no pitch input to fly level, at least for the fuel level I've flown it at.
God I love flying planes in KSP. And I don't even have a joystick.

(Don't worry, I didn't crash).

That picture doesn't really do it justice, so I'll post more later

It tends to procede around the prograde marker when doing fast rolls, any ideas? The ailerons and wings are raised above the CoM, could that be it? If so, how would I fix it without moving the wing?

Edit:hPZCA25.pngoTwQ5Ed.png

Edited by Skylon

Well, sorry about the nag images in place of all my vessel and mission shots.  Seems Photobucket have become moneygrubbers since the last time I used them much, and since you all aren't being bombarded with 10+ ads on every page load when I embed an image here, they shut that capability off to try to extort money from me.  I'm off to see what it costs to get real hosting from them; alternately, I may have to learn how to use Imgur or Flickr...

Edit: Well, Photobucket now costs $60/mo to allow so-called "3rd party hosting", so I've deleted my account.  That's about 2/3 what I pay for 300 mb/s Internet service.  This is a policy change that took place on June 28th, 2017, so may affect other users here who don't know it yet...

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
Add more information

I explored Lili. Briefly.

uMs6jdu.png

There were two problems.

#1: I ran out of delta-V, with a shortfall of about 500-600 m/sec if I wanted to actually orbit the walnut.

#2: I... underestimated the terrain height on Lili.

Next one comes in on an SEP (Solar Electric Propulsion) stage, possibly with a fuel cell to help with night-side burns instead of giant stacks of batteries.

I also finally have the core of one of my lunar ground stations en route to Iota.

RP2QP2f.png

She still has 20 tons of batteries, but with a fuel cell, it'll be easier to keep the station running overnight without turning on the nuclear reactor.

A game for you: which of these are rocks, and which are a rain of transfer-stage engines that came down all about my rover as it landed on a separate skycrane!

2dawF4P.png

Finally, if anybody knows of additional mods (other than SpaceY, KW, and Novapunch) that add really big upper stage/orbital engines to Real Fuels-Stockalike, I'd like to hear them. There are all these nice, easily clusterable, super-heavy first-stage engines like the Emu, but most of the available upper/orbital engines are either not powerful enough, or too big to practically cluster.

6 hours ago, Skylon said:

It tends to procede around the prograde marker when doing fast rolls, any ideas? The ailerons and wings are raised above the CoM, could that be it? If so, how would I fix it without moving the wing?

Make sure in the SPH you pitch up the whole plane to see if theres any deviation of the CoL from the CoM

If the CoL is above the CoM, I tend to move the CoL backwards by adding more mass to the front (since you don't want to move the wing) or, really just sliding the wings back, so that the effective lift is reduced and reduces flippyness.

Now, I don't quite get what you meant by "proceding around the prograde marker" but I'll tend to assume that means it has an exceeding AoA (You can do the Cobra Manuver if that's the case), but if you want to fix that, you can use the first solution above, or to simply turn off gimbals on the engine, if that doesn't do it much, you can decrease the authority on the horizontal stabilizer.

Edited by TheDARKOMETER

For the first time on the Mun. WE. HAVE. LANDING. It took every ounce of fuel and RCS I had, and it even lost the engine on landing, causing me to make some quick corrections to the spinning craft to bring it down firm on it's legs, but they made it!

Spoiler

Don't they look so happy with their new permanent life on the Mun? A little backstory. I decided I would detach the command module from the Munar lander right after rescuing a stranded kerbal in Mun orbit (the first attempt at this resulted in me going the opposite direction as the orbit the kerbal was going, resulting in me doing this long-winded journey back to Kerbin so I could try again because I was dumb. On the next attempt I was able to save the kerbal and continue onward for the landing with her at my side. I figured she went out there to land on the Mun, so I'd help her complete her goals and mine.

Spoiler

A little irony for any of you X-Men fans, if you'll notice above: The kerbal I rescued is named Jean. Quasi-spoiler:

Spoiler

Now's she forever on the Mun.

I just finished docking a fueling vessel with the command module now, and plan to send a rescue Mun lander for the two kerbals to get into to meet up with the command module and then head on home. Now if I can just recruit a kerbal for the rescue mission named Scott...

On 6/4/2017 at 9:28 AM, Bornholio said:

Hmmm thats all, sure you didn't try 15 times. The magic is in RCS balance so it translates and rotates without the other happening at the same time.  Thus my first must have mod is "RCS Build Aid". Near the top of the list is a docking mod, "Docking Port Alignment Indicator" my favorite.

I'm a bit late to this post by about a month, but yeah, getting better at using RCS has definitely helped me since then. As for rendezvous, I'm pretty good at it since all of the Kerbin rescue missions I've been doing to build my roster (except for my colossal goof in the Mun rescue detailed above). Except they always turn out to be pilots when I want scientists...

Much miscellany. 

l8xyc1g.jpg

Then sent a thing to Mars.

0Hi2Tkn.jpg

And then suddenly a number of minor crises happened out-of-game and by the time those were resolved I'd totally forgotten that I'd ever sent a probe to Mars, so I sent another, and was then confused when it didn't get 100% returns on experiments. Until I realised it was called Triking II for a reason. 

Luckily Triking II has more experiments anyway, and includes a return module and lander, so some good data was still had, and numerous lucrative contracts were completed.

w2KHtYC.jpg

hTcfceH.jpg

Many sciences! Well... a handful of sciences. And the knowledge that martian surface pressure is in the region of 1 kPa. So it's possible that drogue chutes could be used to trim some additional velocity off a craft during descent, but on the whole, this is basically a vacuum world with some dust floating around.

I continued my Tylo expedition and managed to drive another 250 km towards the equator.

How wheels work in KSP is still beyond me. What I know that if you make small turns while accelerating, the rover reaches much higher speeds. When I reached a large flat area, I decided to try how fast the rover can go.

I reached 160 m/s before making the small turns became too hazardous. After a minute or so the rover hit a small bump and crashed. I reloaded, increased wheel traction, and crossed the flats at a leisurely 100-110 m/s.

tylo_expedition_15.jpeg

The increased traction also made the rover more stable. I can now drive safely 60-70 m/s over rough terrain.

Today's trip ended on another crater rim a few degrees north of the equator.

tylo_expedition_16.jpeg