What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I had some more time to play KSP, so I returned to my Tylo expedition.

Starting from 5N, I soon crossed the equator. Which was conveniently drawn on the ground.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_17.jpeg

My rover driving skills keep improving all the time. I also realized that if I remap rover controls, prograde SAS can keep the rover under control in seemingly impossible situations.

tylo_expedition_18.jpeg

At around 30S, the mountains started getting higher. I climbed to the highest nearby peak, which was 9911 m above the baseline. That was a mistake. Behind the mountain was an utterly ridiculous crater. There was no way I could descend into it, so I had to go around .

tylo_expedition_19.jpeg

Eventually the crater rim became too narrow to drive. I tried traversing the crater wall, but soon the rover was heading down.

tylo_expedition_20.jpeg

That was the quickest kilometre I have ever descended in a rover. SAS performed its miracles, and I only broke three wheels.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_21.jpeg

The altitude is still almost 7.5 km, so I'm nowhere near the bottom. It will probably be the best to head southwest and cross the crater rim at a point where the slope is more gradual.

15 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

I completed my first ever mission patch! (For the Artemis-1 Mun mission)

j2xjwtF.png

Cool!

This reveals the problem with Kerbal Space Program astronauts - nepotism.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:59 PM, Skylon said:

If so, how would I fix it without moving the wing?

You could try giving it some anhedral (point the wings at a slight down slope.) This should lower the CoL relative to the CoM, and doesn't really change the positioning.

Alternatively, clip in more control surfaces.

In other news, I made an SSTO. Which goes to orbit with a lot less Delta-v than I would like (still a bit over 1000 m/s but I like to have excess). Not to worry, it has ISRU. Pretty sure I can make it more ssto-ey by reducing the amount of oxidizer on launch.

Bl8AbdG.png

Hoping I can do a Tylo landing in this (also, I've never really landed on Tylo. Closest I got was smashing into the surface at a couple 100 m/s). It has a rhino engine stuck on the back, so if that in conjunction with the rapiers can't do it.... might have to carry a dedicated lander.

Edited by qzgy

I played around a bit with "Dying Duna" before reverting to my Rald-Duna mod and continuing my 3x save, I need Scatterer to update:

TKYUQnT.png

s2Lcg50.png

Spoiler

vO6g8di.png

FiHBhRi.png

It would soon be time to depart for the Rald-Duna-Ike system, so I thought about sending a lightweight, slow flying craft as a complement to the heavy cargo SSTOs. I made an electric fan plane (My e-fan mod,uses the goliath model reduced in dimensions by 50%, lowered thrust and mass obviously, lowered the TWR a bit, modified the velocity curve so it can't exceed mach 1 - but the thrust to air density curve is the same). This electric plane was able to fly on Rald:

5B2rLa3.png

But each motor produced just 2.4 kN of thrust at low altitude on Duna (side note, I increased Duna's gravity to 0.376), and I was unable to have it take off, so I switched its propusion to engines from my personal turborocket engine mod:

aRXxZ4L.png 

The engines were heavier, the plane was heavier (due to fuel), but the thrust was 4x greater, still a 0.32 TWR wasn't enough for a safe takeoff. But I made this engine dual mod like the panther:

yZhuce0.png

-Isp is based off of the stock engines, multiplied by 0.9/2 , the stock LF:(LF+Ox) ratio.

Rald hangs overhead as it cruises in turbine mode:

GFiiuqX.png

But ultimately, I decided not to send either of them just yet.

After completing the ejection burn from Minmus, the main ship falls toward its low kerbin perapsis:

lsdfjuk.png

Of course, the ejection burn occurs in the dark:

i4uKl2r.png

Many other vessels follow:

kDu4MeC.png

These are: the main habitat ship (fuel depot and station upon arrival), an all in one Ike miner and fuel tanker (don't really want to refuel from Duna or Rald), the Duna cargoshuttle, the Rald Cargo shuttle, and the tug carrying the surface base modules. I'm quite pleased with the trajectories I ended up with, almost all are capturing in the system with a gravity assist from Duna. For the Ike Miner, I managed to get a duna gravity assist with a trajectory afterwards that takes it right by Ike with only a relatively low capture burn required

Spoiler

nEtsXYB.png

RbiAIS5.png

I also had probes reach Moho and Eve. The eve one was sent well outside the optimal transfer window, and despite having ion propulsion, is looking rather low on dV for a 3x rescale game, I scanned Gilly, and am slowly aerobraking it to scan Eve, then it will return to an orbit of Gilly to act as a relay, I probably should have given it a heatshield so I could have aerocaptured it to stay in Eve orbit in the first place.

2BZufUb.png

Also delivered one more module to my Minmus and Mun bases. The bases can support (ie produce enough food for) 8 kerbals, but they only have space for 7. Additionally, the dropships have a crew capacity of 1, and the only other module that I can load in the dropship to hold crew (deployable modules from kpbs can't hold crew when retracted) is the central hub, which is annoying to take out for the purposes of shuttling crew. Also the bases can produce water in large excesses, but only recycle waste to produce food/O2. So I added a water splitter to produce O2 in excess as well. The new module serves to convert the dropships into crew shuttles, allow the base to produce surplus O2 to resupply other vessels, and comfortable house more kerbals (dedicated hab space for 6, space for 4 more in 2 command modules, space for 2 more in the greenhouse,

Spoiler

7nzR4gY.png

JBRz757.png

nFHz1C2.png

If I just add a lab module. it will have everything I can think of that I might want out of it

Repeatedly forgot to take interesting screenshots... did my best with what there was :/ 

1AAAdyZ.jpg

This mission will be kerbalkind's first visit to Mars, and since we couldn't afford a return vehicle, also the first long-term habitation in space!

Which is not to say that this mission is one-way, we'll bring Shatner and co home at some point, but right now we're starving for science. We're hoping that there's enough fuel aboard to allow the lander to make 2-3 visits to the martian surface and the lab will make the most of the data thus gathered.

Basically we're assuming that future technology will solve all our problems while not changing anything about how we go about our lives.

Also, during the docking we realised that the station has zero torque so... that was fun.

nJ0jXUz.jpg

With the lander docked, some orbital experiments are run and the lab swings into action - which raises an immediate concern. Apparently the engineering team forgot that solar panels don't work as well at Mars as they do at Earth, and it turns out the lab will only have sufficient power when the lander's solar panels are available. Well... that's fine. It's a one kerman lander anyway and our only pilot is Shatner, so we don't imagine he'll waste much time on the surface. Especially if we remove all the snacks from the lander before we send him down.

Edited by eddiew

Got sick of "explore" contracts nagging me to rendezvous/dock two vessels and perform crew transfers around Earth/Moon, so built two simple pods and decided to get it over with.

HOyh09X.jpg

Sending the assemblage to Moon as a single unit was an experiment. Docking/undocking in lunar orbit did result in being credited for docking, but I wasn't able to get it to trigger a rendezvous, despite getting the pods a full 5km away from each other. Luckily, I had an old satellite in a nearby orbit, so we rendezvoused with that instead. Which also didn't trigger the rendezvous. It's possible that I have done that before. The important point is that the contract system has finally gotten over Earth+Moon and asked me to explore Deimos. I was kind of hoping for Venus or Jupiter, but this is better than nothing.

Re-entry was surprisingly safe, even with the pods still docked. Only popped them apart on the final descent and let them drift down within 150m of each other to land on the dry wasteland of California...

Edited by eddiew

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Mods plz. :D

There are a lot of custom edited textures and other stuff but basically:

BDB 

Bobcat Altair Descent stage (custom textured)

CMES/ Fustek HAB 

Procedural fairings

KIS containers

Alcor POD

RLE Nimbus engine

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

Got sick of "explore" contracts nagging me to rendezvous/dock two vessels and perform crew transfers

I tend to treat those contracts as an excuse to build a station. That way there's actually some purpose to the spacecraft that get sent for the contract.

5 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I tend to treat those contracts as an excuse to build a station. That way there's actually some purpose to the spacecraft that get sent for the contract.

The way I've handled the Mars mission overall has certainly played into that; station and lander went separately, so all the rendezvousing docking and transferring naturally fell out of it.

On the other hand, when it's a task to do the same thing around like... Deimos. Which has about 2 biomes. I just don't care, it doesn't need that level of expedition, and I wish it wouldn't clog up the contracts system. My biggest gripe at the mo is that you seem to be expected to do everything around whichever planet the contracts have glommed onto before it will give you exploration missions for anywhere else :/ 

Edited by eddiew

Made the Kerbin system a little more interesting by adding a captured rogue planet just inside Kerbin's SOI (Thanks to IA Revived!)

vMVgOw1.png

Also did some adjusting to IA, like putting Lich about....2 LY from Kerbol. It's really far away now.

Edited by GDJ

3 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Made the Kerbin system a little more interesting by adding a captured rogue planet just inside Kerbin's SOI (Thanks to IA Revived!)

That's cool. What about giving it a highly ellptical orbit?

35 minutes ago, qzgy said:

That's cool. What about giving it a highly ellptical orbit?

Thinking about that and giving it a very inclined orbit as well (kinda like a captured planet would have). Right now I'm just getting the planet around Kerbin, altering it's backstory in the planet's description (basically a rogue planet that drifted into Kerbin's SOI about 3 billion years ago).

It's neat. You can see Braciaca from the ground in daylight, but it's a bit far away for another eclipse of the sun. 

Edited by GDJ

While not technically in KSP, after a very busy weekend, I finally finished putting together the video of the double shuttle launch cluster-[bleep] I mentioned earlier in which I managed to strand two shuttles in orbit.

In KSP I successfully rescued them all with a 3rd shuttle launch, and my launch script worked flawlessly. Video will probably be up tomorrow. :) Hopefully it will qualify in the STS mission challenge.