What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I crossed a mountain range on Tylo.

Starting from 32S, I went around the ridiculous crater and encountered even higher mountains. The highest peak I climbed was 11788 m, but there were probably higher ones nearby. The valleys between the mountains were often 4-5 km deep. Fortunately I had learned to brake effectively when going downhill, so most of the time I could just cross the valleys.

tylo_expedition_22.jpeg

The last major peak of the range was at 56S. Its altitude was around 11650 m.

tylo_expedition_23.jpeg

From there, the ground descended steeply towards the lowlands. Sometimes too steeply.

tylo_expedition_24.jpeg

Today's leg ended at 64S. In the last 90 km, I descended from the 11.65 km mountain to 2.5 km lowlands.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_25.jpeg

Tomorrow I should be able to reach the south pole.

Edited by Jouni

And back to Mars. Or rather, to mission control, where the powers that be have decided to suspend operations at Aries Station until a small addition can be made.

tVpoylK.jpg

And lo, Aries actually had enough power to run the lab and there was a point to gathering science! Shatner Kerman wastes no time in claiming his long awaited title.

dLtea5J.jpg

...and descends onto the most boring bit of the planet anyone could hope to find.

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

While not technically in KSP, after a very busy weekend, I finally finished putting together the video of the double shuttle launch cluster-[bleep] I mentioned earlier in which I managed to strand two shuttles in orbit.

Dangit... it's a SpaceX day, I just got up, and I'm already out of likes on here, :mad: so you'll have to settle for one on YouTube.  :P

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

And back to Mars. Or rather, to mission control, where the powers that be have decided to suspend operations at Aries Station until a small addition can be made.

tVpoylK.jpg

And lo, Aries actually had enough power to run the lab and there was a point to gathering science! Shatner Kerman wastes no time in claiming his long awaited title.

dLtea5J.jpg

...and descends onto the most boring bit of the planet anyone could hope to find.

I'm curious how you're finding Mars now, given that I know you spent a lot of time playing with Rald.

This is RSS scale, no? or is it a scaled down version of our solar system? (your launcher an the first panel looks a wee bit small for RSS, and you seem to be using stock parts)

I'm tempted to put in a full size mars into the game to play with stock craft on it. I once made Slate from OPM into a mars surrogate (sure OPM adds Thatmo which has an atmosphere, but is basically a vacuum, like mars, but its much farther out and lower G) - I copied the RSS mars atmosphere data, rescaled it a bit for stock size, stuck it on Slate, and changed Slate's gravity to 0.376 Gs. I think I additionally modded the drogue chutes to open at lower pressures and higher speeds, because... yea, that atmosphere wasn't doing much

24 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

This is RSS scale, no? or is it a scaled down version of our solar system? (your launcher an the first panel looks a wee bit small for RSS, and you seem to be using stock parts)

I'm tempted to put in a full size mars into the game to play with stock craft on it. I once made Slate from OPM into a mars surrogate (sure OPM adds Thatmo which has an atmosphere, but is basically a vacuum, like mars, but its much farther out and lower G) - I copied the RSS mars atmosphere data, rescaled it a bit for stock size, stuck it on Slate, and changed Slate's gravity to 0.376 Gs. I think I additionally modded the drogue chutes to open at lower pressures and higher speeds, because... yea, that atmosphere wasn't doing much

Stock Scale RSS as provided by @Galileo :)  Plus some gentler orbital inclinations because I'm lazy AF. Tbh, I just wanted to see some familiar maps while still being able to use stock technology, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Though naturally I have modified the tech tree to brutalise me in later stages :) 

At 10% scale, RSS Mars is slightly less forgiving than Duna, in that it has even less atmosphere - but you can use parachutes for braking, if you manually tweak them down to 0.01 pressure after launch (the editor only goes down to 0.02 or 0.04, which will never happen). Wouldn't recommend it on full RSS Mars though, you're down at ~4km altitude by the time the chutes deploy and I don't think that's going to stop you before you splat... 

Thatmo was flyable, but not landable without VTOL. I don't think I could use a plane on even the stock scaled Mars... 0.013 atmospheres is a bit savage.

Also, I'd be quite interested to see Slate with a wispy atmosphere... it was beautifully crafted, but very hostile as pure vacuum. Even with a few wisps left, it would be much more inviting!

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

My biggest gripe at the mo is that you seem to be expected to do everything around whichever planet the contracts have glommed onto before it will give you exploration missions for anywhere else :/ 

This is a big issue that I'm sure most career players have. I wish it'd give you contracts for multiple celestial bodies at once, that way you can choose to prioritize exploring one of them or move on to another.

Figured out a better launch LF/Oxidizer ratio for that SSTO. Also, really loving that rhino engine on the back. Mercifully shorter burn times, and gives an extra 150 m/s delta-v!

Edited by qzgy

The KarbFish seaplane (after a painful long flight at < 260m/s, 2x phys warp) finally splashed down near the KIS Deliverance and the two engineers got to work at picking it apart to fit into the KarbFish's KIS container. From novice mistake it was learned that only one wing or one engine could fit in there, making for 7+ more of these dragged out flights.

3jL0PaO.jpg ZJfdAMV.jpg

But we're not having that. In comes the KarbFish II, all-around superior, especially in top speed at around 822m/s. All it's missing is horizontal rocket boost for even more top speed, and a pilot with the skill to land it on the VAB. It hasn't been sent on a real mission yet.

VDaoeVZ.jpg 3WH8Alq.jpg

Spoiler

I'm starting to like VTOLs... Just when they're not turbine type engines.

zIz2CNc.jpg

Since the closed cycle gas core nuclear thermal rocket produces plenty of thrust , is very efficient, and works in atmosphere, I figured that this would be perfect for a rocket; this is the result.

The payload I picked out was 500,000 kilograms of liquid ammonia, and that in itself required a fairing from the TD Orion drive mod to actually fit in. Next, I arranged the nuclear lightbulbs in a cluster of 7. However, even this wasn't enough to reach a TWR of 1, so I attached 16 of the Aluminum-Oxygen engines of the stock size.UQtXYH7.png

3yTz7EB.png

As it turns out, this rocket has enough delta-V to get into orbit, deliver a payload into the Mun's orbit, come back, and probably land vertically for reuse (if it survives reentry). Since the mass of the side boosters was pretty low, I think I could make this an single-stage-to-mun-orbit.

On 6/30/2017 at 3:59 PM, Skylon said:

Tested a super-manoeuvrable fighter: ECq1KM3.png
Requires pretty much no pitch input to fly level, at least for the fuel level I've flown it at.
God I love flying planes in KSP. And I don't even have a joystick.

(Don't worry, I didn't crash).

That picture doesn't really do it justice, so I'll post more later

It tends to procede around the prograde marker when doing fast rolls, any ideas? The ailerons and wings are raised above the CoM, could that be it? If so, how would I fix it without moving the wing?

Edit:hPZCA25.pngoTwQ5Ed.png

Oh Kraken I need that plane. Have you KerbalX'd it yet? Otherwise I'll be forced to make a terrible replica

Wherever Shatner Kerman goes... Nimoy is sure to follow. Because someone has to go and do the job properly.

j3KvLyU.jpg

In retrospect, mission control rather wishes they had sent at least one additional pilot, but Doohan manages to jerry-rig a remote controller to allow Shatner to take the lander down even with a nerdy scientist like Nimoy in the seat.

Happily, Nimoy is more patient than Shatner, and doesn't object to sitting out the night for the sake of science, gathering data about minimum temperatures, pressures, and how the hunger pangs are affecting him.

Today was a short day. After the Mountains of Utter Ridiculousness, the rest of the way to Tylo's south pole was easy driving.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_26.jpeg

After cresting a ridge at 87° 22' S, I saw Jool for the first time on the trip.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_27.jpeg

Soon afterwards I reached the maze of jagged ridges also known as the south pole of Tylo.

tylo_expedition_28.jpeg

Navigating the maze took a while.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_29.jpeg

But finally I was able to plant a flag on the south pole.

tylo_expedition_30.jpeg

Or at least as close to the pole as possible. The actual pole was 235 m further south. And who knows how far down.

tylo_expedition_31.jpeg

Today. I said farewell to KSP and uninstalled the game. I tolerated the bugs hoping they would get fixed, but I've just grown too tired of my ships randomly twisting and exploding after I've put an hour into a mission. 1.3 didn't fix my main issues with the game: stutter and random ship disassembly. Time to do something else. Cheers all. It's been fun.

screenshot11.jpg

screenshot12.jpg

7 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

This was with KJR :(

Out of curiosity, are you on console? It's the only platform I could imagine having enough bugs to make me consider quiting (assuming the rumors I've heard about it are true). Got any screenshots of the glitches? Or did those go out with the game?

Anyways, I completed the video of my space shuttle rescue mission for the STS mission challenge. It was quite fun, and I look forward to doing more of them.