I sat and watched the ballet of orbital mechanics for a while. :D

Reveal hidden contents

wqNBuO3.gif

Spoiler

tenor.gif

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

if Kerbalism failures hadn't kept popping up. :mad:

And this is why I don't have LS...

I'm guessing the rest was even more epic?

Edited by qzgy

Going to north pole of Kerbin just for watching sunset because... reasons

cf3VHSD.png

Kinda boring flying all the way there

hBlnmX3.png

I'm seeing some ice...

fy1w9Jy.png

A LOT of ice...

WAmYgeh.png

The sun is about to set, we gotta reach the north pole NOW!

2TlmVWF.png

Reached the north pole! Quick! The sun is about to set!

Sw3L7lI.png

We gotta land this thing now!

HMzSnIB.png

I think I'm diving this thing too hard...

zn6q0eK.png

Touchdown! Quick! Get outside for the moment we've been waiting for!

0JBh2x3.png

Right on time...

kTRfwgl.png

I feel so...Tiny :P

I decided to test out artificial gravity after watching some inspiring videos.YjBhzvu.jpg

I started off by landing a small probe inside of a giant ring that I cheated used my 100 percent amazing KSP skills to get into orbit.

I slowly increased the spin speed...

OdYJcx8.jpg

I got to 3G faster than I thought I would. This was already very fast, but I kept going.

aHrBfxL.jpg

At 7G, the camera wobble was starting to get very annoying. Since the probe was stuck fallen over onto the ring, and the Accelerometer was underneath it, I was already having a hard enough time accessing it.

6eBdW6w.jpg

By now, the camera wobble was unbearable. I should have turned that down in the settings. I also just realized that this would be overkill good for doing those High-G Adventure contracts.

But alas, all good things must come to an end. Somewhere around 17G, some rotation in another direction got amplified until the force of the probe on the inside ripped the ring's core apart. The probe was flung away unscathed, but the ring not so much...

t7F8UBK.jpg

Kelley Kerman discovered that Phobos and Deimos appear to traverse the sky in opposite directions... (Deimos is the very tiny dot that looks like a graphics glitch but isn't.)

izAkEWf.png

Phobos is just close enough that it's orbital period is less than a martian day, such that it rises in the west (ish) but Deimos is much further out and follows the sun. They're more or less in-plane with each other, and as such you get regular crossovers.

At least in Stock Scale RSS, not sure about full size :) 

Edited by eddiew

Took a little trip to the bottom of the sea looking for the long lost Kerbal Fitzgerald.

Not much left with all the survivor hunters around the Islands.

Trieste model by me, SMM mod used to supply propulsion.

Edited by Wrench Head

Well, this was my best attempt at it anyway... 

WebbScope2.png

I think this is closest I'm gonna get with parts available.  Not too bad! 

RealWebbScope.jpg

Wish I had some gold reflective hexes in stock.  At least it's a valid use of the new telescope gadget they gave us in 1.3!

Edited by XLjedi

9 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

WebbScope2.png

That's neat! I think you could have also offsetted an RCS port and radially attached antenna to better simulate the dish, but it looks great as is.

I flew that sea-launched SSTO to minmus, only to discover that Edlorf couldn't EVA from the clipped lander can.

I got unreasonably upset about that.

Launched Thor-Agena A with a sort of Discoverer/KH-1 thing. My Wallops "Delta" program is moving along nicely but I've been scraping for the science points.

1ueezO0.png

Ce6OxAM.png

OqGuf94.png

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I flew that sea-launched SSTO to minmus, only to discover that Edlorf couldn't EVA from the clipped lander can.

I got unreasonably upset about that.

LOL!  I've had my share of EVA's prevented by the ladder I installed.

I re-textured an upcoming new variant of a very old OPT engine. Apparently it took me a good few hours.

• Left: My personal variant (completed weeks ago, unreleased)
  • Middle: Original artwork by @K.Yeon
  • Right: Today's work and the new variant, not mine.

lVNnBkY.jpg

I also struggled to get the cargobay module to work in OPT's cargo bays but failed miserably. I assume this is a glorious new [feature] of KSP 1.3... aero shielding only works for SQUAD. :mad: Or OPT's bays are all critically bugged.

And I got my "superior" airbrake to work. It deploys faster, drags harder, and takes up to 2700K versus stock's 1200K......The piston, however, looks dislocated due to the non-uniform scaling but I can deal with that. Now to make something very specific to complement the airbrake.

F7Cv0wr.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

6 hours ago, eddiew said:

Phobos is just close enough that it's orbital period is less than a martian day, such that it rises in the west (ish) but Deimos is much further out and follows the sun. They're more or less in-plane with each other, and as such you get regular crossovers.

At least in Stock Scale RSS, not sure about full size :) 

In reality, Phobos has an orbital period of about 1/3 of a sol (a Martian day, for anyone unfamiliar with the term). Deimos has a period of about 5/4 of a sol. So this effect does happen in reality. Although I don't know whether it scales proportionally in Stock Scale RSS.

Edited by eloquentJane
For some inexplicable reason the text of the post was copied 3 times.

Did (at time of writing) part of this weeks reddit challenge. Ion engines - Can squeeze out almost 30000 m/s of delta-V, but have to use hour+ long burns for interplanetary travel.

Here, the Walkabout went to minmus and gilly. Burning to dres right now. Even with 4x physics warp, still takes a long time.

qRryVF0.png

JPyzJNd.png

Could have squeezed out more delta-v with a lawn chair, but I wanted all the flags.

Not liking ion engines a lot.

more Tech tree testing in RP-0

Made the Popsicle I, rolled it out to the launch pad, had RCS tank problems and rolled it back in for repairs.

Reconfigured Ia uses Hydrazine newly developd RCS thrusters.

BaGcNUO.pngYUZcfbK.png

http://imgur.com/9or0QVq

Dropping upper stage off on fumes, Orbit requested from PEG guidance 180x150km  got 180.16x149.87km.

Oops actually wanted to make this stage orbit decay, well plenty of fuel, and two aj-27 burns so at AP I pushed it down to 40km then boosted back up.

JrnoMxV.pngXuEEZ1k.png

Veryu scary re-entry using a X-1 cockpit inside an aeroshell.  Do-not attempt. fire coming off the thing most of the way down.

EFRQsCt.pngwrgRamo.png

Aeroshell, airbrakes and drogues got down and recovered also.  Only heatsheild, and upper stage not recovered.

3UejKbR.png84kP9Vn.png

Edited by Bornholio

From yesterday:

Spoiler

Jupiter Explorer 03 performed a Callisto flyby and finished its mission:

g91MwPl.jpg

dwUb9Qi.jpg

I also added a new module to my station:

vpRyIh5.jpg

EcrP7mJ.jpg

Today Valentina went to the moon!

Descent:

5fS4KWj.jpg

Then she planted the 2nd flag on the moon and stayed there for 12 hours

JC5jD3j.jpg

YuuyjGQ.jpg

No problems during ascent and reentry:

eRIgHzj.jpg

U2GlqYO.jpg

I also adjusted Pioneer 11's flight path:

mo7Ix5f.jpg

It will arrive at Saturn in 5 years.

Today I started from the ridge above Tylo's south pole and descended to the pole itself.

tylo_expedition_32.jpeg

Finding the way down wasn't easy. The starting point was the peak on the left side of the picture.

tylo_expedition_33.jpeg

As we all know, when you are standing on the south pole, you are hanging upside down. (Val actually seems to be standing on the vertical wall.)

tylo_expedition_34.jpeg

4 hours ago, SpaceOdissey said:

In part 5 of my GIGANTIC space station! I only need some antennas a a solar array and i'm done!

Until you get to orbit and realize you forgot batteries, lights, ladders, RCS, docking ports, snacks, and Jeb's teddy bear.

-Jn-

1 hour ago, JoeNapalm said:

Until you get to orbit and realize you forgot batteries, lights, ladders, RCS, docking ports, snacks, and Jeb's teddy bear.

-Jn-

NOOOO, Not his teddy bear!

Lights are probably a good idea for docking when it inevitably happens on the night side.