What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I decided to try another oversize payload on my SSTO in 3x gameplay....

What could be in that egg?

y41cMG9.png

And, as always with stock parts and a scaled up system, its much harder to SSTO due to the much higher dV requirements, and a much higher % of dV needing to come from closed cycle mode:

uClKP08.png

So the payload... its a surface base package... but unlike my previous base packages that I'd have on a disposable KPBS quad adaptor (couldn't be reused because I needed to use part offset for where the modules attach to get everything to fit without parts exploding due to clipping after decouple, since the modules have stuff on the outside and the KPBS adaptors only work for "clean" modules), so it took some assembly to make a space train:

Extraction of the central hub module:

K1bqJnS.png

additional steps:

Spoiler

eomQUDV.png

brq4uEF.png

nyRXAYE.png

WM0WNlB.png

qbac8aA.png

9lg7f5p.png

And the released payload:

PjrZL7I.png

The tug was also delivered by SSTO, but at 8.75m wide, the fairing was pretty draggy, the full tug was inexcess of 200 tons, well above the payload capacity to orbit of 3x kerbin for my SSTO. The LV-Ns were dropped for additional rapiers because of the increased drag and increased need for thrust because of the ~220 ton payload. I had to dip into the payload's tanks to get it to orbit, and it was nearly empty after orbit and rendevous:

bem5ojp.png

after attachment like so, it needed another 2 orange tanks worth of fuel sent up (it holds up to 6 orange tanks' worth of fuel)

5O1AISl.png

After refueling, it departed for the Duna (or rather Rald) system

Spoiler

n2CtJeN.png

Poodle engine exhaust flames aren't very impressive

Which I also had my probe arrive at shortly thereafter:

4BasWKa.png

Spoiler

D3ykK5l.png

the south pole:

IEmUYki.png

the ore scanner results looked kind of cool:

nlN3IMS.png

After scanning rald, I plotted a transfer to duna, and it looked kind of cool, so I'll share that too:

RqrWYwm.png

cM6yl99.png

Duna got scanned too, and it was on to Ike... Ike disappointingly had no spots where ore and water supplies overlapped. Looks like any kerbal'd mining colony on it will need even more resupply from the duna or rald colonies

After fiddling around with CameraTools, I remembered to make an X-24B for X-jet of the day. Not too happy with it, But I think it came out ok, given how annoying the shape is....

cvPNAJq.png

(a new unseen picture!)

Edited by qzgy

Last time, just testing eeloo-dr8es lander no refueling, its been almost 2 weeks i dont play KSP, got a massive bunch of eve ascent vehicle idea and still imagining, hope my imagination tell me that I WILL REALLY BEAT EVE :wink:

I checked in to the Hotel California in GPP.

8BHBayN.jpg

It only took me two F9s to walk safely through the revolving door...

jeOa0gR.jpg

And it turns out I was low on a propellant (Ore) so I actually nearly didn't check out of the hotel. D: The station's fertilizer production nearly ate all the Ore. There are so many ways to die in KSP it's never boring.

cRxzhrg.jpg

Back on Gael, the KarbFish II successfully completes its first mission. It returned all of the core stack of a splashed spaceplane: a manual recovery project. It should only need to fly once more to recover the engines. They're just slightly too big to fit in the already large KIS containers. :huh: The Mk2 tail was detached and stored in one of the containers, making for a flat surface for the claw to grab onto. Offset weight was not a problem at all.

The KarbFish II literally returned to KSC at fifteen minutes to midnight.

M128j5N.jpg

YCXcOiF.jpg 5aazkmF.jpg GVOs6Xg.jpg TCoS2Gh.jpg M7yfsq8.jpg IWNVnGV.jpg

Tested an SSTO. It had just enough fuel to make it to my station, which wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't put the docking port on wrong. Had to deorbit using RCS, almost overshot KSC, over corrected and almost undershot KSC, before finally landing in pitch black.

VZDDscn.png

Diamonds were made landing in pitch black.

Y9aHBQr.png

Daytime shot so you can bask in the glory of my passenger triangle.

I just finished the interplanetary burn for my Gilly mission.  Spent ages setting it up so that IF all went perfectly, my I/P burn and a single plane change about a third of the way to Eve would drop me direct into a Gilly encounter (no chasing that itty-bitty rockball around multiple orbits of Eve to get the encounter, yay) -- not that I believed I'd get it THAT perfectly, but I thought I'd get close enough that I could regain the Gilly enounter by tweaking the plane-change burn.

Did the burn--and didn't even have an EVE encounter!  (What the...?)  Fussed about, arranged a reasonably-small correction burn that at least got me back into Eve SOI and *sigh* in position to capture into a Gilly-like orbit so as to play 'catch up with the annoying tiny captured-comet-thing'....  But try as I might, I was unable to get that lovely direct-to-Gilly-encounter trajectory back.

So I called it 'good enough' and set up a KAC alarm for the correction burn, and another for the upcoming SOI change.  Then I noticed the SOI-change alarm was in ... TWO HOURS??  (What the...?)  That OUGHT to be something like ten days-ish, yes?  What could POSSIBLY give me a SOI change in a couple HOURS??

So back I went to Map View.

That was when I (FINALLY) paid attention to ... Mun.

::facepalm::

Could be worse.  It's just a minor inconvenience, right? I could have set myself up for "Adventures In Unplanned Lithobraking(tm)!"

So..... I finally launched that SSTO 'seaplane' and visited minmus for a quick refueling stop. Hoping to do a mini-grand tour, visiting and landing everywhere but eve. I think I have enough fuel and stuff for a tylo landing.

Also figured out what pointing the camera directly at a nuke engine looks like.

4rt2TmD.png

It's alot worse IRL cause of all the minor flickering...

After gilly, I went to moho, to promptly discover I have to restart from gilly because of a delta-v shortage.

Edited by qzgy

This is a "What I did Yesterday" post because vimeo took too long to render this thing.

But I finally got N-stage PEG guidance working in MechJeb so there's ascents now which use the real math they used on Atlas-Centaur

Note that I still haven't figured out volume with OBS so for some reason the launch clamps and staging are hilariously loud (VOLUME WARNING!) while the engine noise is quiet and cuts out after awhile.

The test vehicle is just a bit of a 2x Atlas-Agena which has 9.7t of payload on it to squash the TLI stage down so it'll barely make orbit on 3 stages (for testing purposes).

Edited by Jim DiGriz

On 7/6/2017 at 3:08 PM, eddiew said:

Planned to invade Mars with a tripod.

edbdJWr.png

(Yeah, I'm running out of equatorial biomes, but there are some just a few km north and south that a rover could get to.)

Great Rover! Which wheels and which underframe or you using? any more pix? :) 

Got frustrated with landing on Moho. Think I need a craft redesign. Soo.... after I figured that out, I just murdered a kerbal by chucking him into the sun. Yay.

I finally (after months of putting it off and not even playing the game) fulfilled two sat delivery contracts, one in high Duna orbit, the other around Ike.

And that is quite something for me, since my usual playground does not extend beyond Minmus.

I even installed KAC for the occasion, the action which doubled the number of mods installed.

I should really play this game more. 

Gonna start working on the last phase of a 100% hands-off Mun flag-planting mission, the CAB landing. Not sure if I want to try a targeted landing or just put the craft down anywhere. Not quite sure where to start for a targeted landing.

It was a long night. I started from the south pole of Tylo and drove north along the prime meridian.

tylo_expedition_35.jpeg

There was some regional variation, but the terrain was really boring. I couldn't see much in the darkness either.

tylo_expedition_36.jpeg

I saw the first signs of the morning at 24°S, and the Sun finally rose at 7°S.

tylo_expedition_37.jpeg

Fulfilled another childhood fantasy thanks to @MajorTom69. Beautiful mod. Flies great on/around Mun. Really hard to fly in atmosphere (duh).

Wish I had caught the expression on Bill's face when this landed. Pretty sure he was a big fan back in the day as well. 

wKFFcuc.jpg

Flipped the rover. Jeb had to walk back to the ship. He didn't mind.

I think the only childhood fantasy I have left is Julie Newmar... pretty sure that one is never going to happen. 

I built a station around Duna. Fairly standard, but I've never done it before and it took about 8-12 hours. The design challenge of figuring out how to ship something asymmetrical in symmetrical pieces was interesting. I parked the pieces in Kerbin orbit, attached them linearly for the transfer burn, then reassembled them around Duna in the final configuration.

I took pictures and I'm thinking of documenting the process for interest/amusement. How and where should I post that stuff?   (for that matter, how do I do images at all?)