What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 08/07/2017 at 5:14 PM, Tyko said:

Great Rover! Which wheels and which underframe or you using? any more pix? :) 

Sorry, not KSP'd all weekend, missed the question ^^;  Wheels are Kerbal Foundries, I moved the tiny and small sets down a tech node to make them a bit more accessible in my excessively-hard tech tree. Because wheels aren't rocket science. Chassis is simply a girder with some .625m batteries, SAS and probe cores sunk into it so that the impact points are all 80m/s. Minus the drill experiment on the front. And the docking port jr on top. Actually, it would be best not to roll this rover... 

More pics will happen when the mission happens :) 

32 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

I guarantee that you were under mind control attack from intelligent plasma ocean of Solaris which essentially recreates memories in the "ocean" (memories of KSC in this case).

... run away asap! :)

Holy kow, I thought I was the only person who ever sat through the 1972 Russian version of that :D  (It was better than the sequel... a bit slow and art-house, but very atmospheric.)

Edited by eddiew

Some crazy reasons made me unable to play a bit of KSP for two weeks. To compensate a bit my Kerbal addiction I just decided to send nearly all my team to Duna for my first landing here in 1.3... and discovered some seconds before that the next transfer window will not be before a year and 200 days more (big sigh). So what could help to pass the time once again apart satisfying my addiction to small shuttle craft?

So I choose to give a brand new launcher to my 5 seats X-21A Vishnu which was firstly launch a month ago (but that I gave up)...

9nUn2Wt.png

and gave the honor to three passengers to be onboard another experimental flight. But this time to the two Kerbin's satellites!

J7eWmDD.png

Three Vectors are powering the first and second stage... and that's all. For the first time I didn't give any third stage for orbital maneuver to one of my shuttles (apart of Eos which was an exception).

y7F6M1A.png

Acceleration wasn't bad at all but we started to angle around 90 m/s as my biggest fear was another crazy reaction from the whole system, due to the lifting surface of the X-21A...

SqBqs6U.png

... but nothing happened! It was even more impressive to me as there is no lifting surfaces hidden in the central tanks. The whole control of the system being extremely simple and satisfying for one of the first times!

AiiNwFo.png

Saying good-bye to the boosters actually was a light problem as it makes me discover that the second stage engine totally was unable to make the craft turning on its X-axis. Anyway we kept on the flight as all the rest was clearly good!

k3M0dgF.png

CDedHlD.png

Dual views of our first destination, the Mun of course! I firstly think about going to Minmus then returning back to Kerbin but with 2.8 km/s of dV available with Vishnu I finally decided to make a single flight to both satellites.

lwlepnS.png

6KTMhyv.png

If the dual Twitch engines appeared to be satisfying in term drinking, they clearly were too weak for such a craft. Even if weighting "only" 17 t, the engines just forced us to realize a 2 minutes burn for the transfer to the Mun.

nE7hjmD.png

moDEXNU.png

Here we are! About 1900 m/s still available after the circularization burn. Still enough for a traditional transfer to Minmus.

VtdGOzv.png

A nice view of Kerbin while waiting for the Minmus transfer burn in 21 minutes. As the X-21A also was conceived as a crew transfer vehicle the rear docking port is equipped with an Illuminator Mk 1 to ensure the night docking maneuvers.

I will upload the other pictures tomorrow as it's now 01:44 locally and I am about to sleep on the keyboard...

Today I launched the core section of a vehicle which will take 4 Kerbals to explore the Jool system in my 1.2.2 career save.   The Trinidad is the flagship vessel of the Magellan mission to Jool.  Her cargo bay houses an uncrewed Tylo probe lander and a crewed Vall/Pol/Bop lander.  She also carries a 1-man Laythe SSTO on her back.  Two sets of saddle tanks containing 10,000 units of Lf each will be added on in LKO to supply the delta-V necessary for the mission.

Can you guess what's inside :)?

A04wFhI.png

(Guess first before opening spoiler)

Spoiler

Okay, this could be one of the most ambitious (or insane) mission that I've ever performed. Well anyway, let's launch (Don't wanna spoil it too soon :P)

3BdgBpw.png

SRB separation confirmed

u7cllUR.png

Asparagus stage jettisoned

b9AGYDm.png

Circularizing orbit

Z7gpPda.png

Aaaaaand.....

Spoiler

BEHOLD! the self-sustaining deep-space observation vessel: Stella-Rium!

PuG2dXW.png

Lately, I've been thinking, up until now, gathering science from a celestial body is fun for me, but kinda slow, and also quite limited (One probe at a time for each celestial body), so... I started a mission to collect science from every celestial body in one go!

BwF2nQH.png

Mods I'm using:

For maximum amount of science: Probe Plus and Dmagic Orbital Science ( I crammed as much science instrument as possible, along with stock instruments with the exception of some specific instrument such as asteroid science or bathysphere science). Sadly, due to the design of the craft, I cannot stuff enough landers for every celestial body with every ground-based science instruments from stock and those 2 mods without compromising launch stability :( (My initial plan is stuffing an array of small fairings as "Observation canister", each containing a relay and a lander, but it turns out that it's not the best solution because it makes the launch vehicle unbalanced) so this mission will be limited to gather orbital science  from every celestial body. Anyway, I'm okay with that :)

For the craft, 2 main mods: KSOS Space Station and Solaris Hypernautics. KSOS for ship's structure, and Solaris Hypernautics for resource systems to make it self-sustaining

To make it self-sustaining, the ring in front of craft (It's not warp drive) is a dust accumulator that passively gathers cosmic dust by using magnetic charge, which can be replenished by using electric charge. The dust gathered can be compressed into ore, and from ore, it can be processed into Lf/Ox. All science instrument deployment, usage and reset are set into action group to access them with a single push of a button.

hkDu9lV.png

Separation from fairing base

oYgY2iB.png

Deploying all systems

aNrfPvz.png

You can see how cramped there when I stuff nearly all science instruments from those 2 mods and stock game :P

VcHrFfC.png

And finally... deploying Heat shield

Anyway, today's objective has been completed (Launching). The next phase will be Kerbin observation and research before heading to the Mun. Well, that's all for today, I'm gonna take a rest now (haven't sleep properly for 4 days because I'm creating this ship) :wink:

Completed the first test flight of the Bravo I, a new rocket design inteded to replace the Alpha series. The test flight was succesful, with the Bravo I reaching Kerbin orbit and performing a Munar flyby with fuel to spare. However, the Alpha series is still planned to be used as a probe launcher,  due to its relatively high dV.

A while back a forum user requested me to build him a modern Indycar. This is what I came up with.

Powerplant: 2 Juno's.
Mass: 3.2t.
Fuel: 100 units.
Battery: 100 units.
Max G in corners: 12.1.
Max G during braking: 3.1
Max G during acceleration: 1.8
Part count: 71.
Top speed with current wing settings: 92m/s.

Album link

Edited by Azimech

The Mars ComSat arrived. It performed an aerobreak maneuver and entered into orbit:

PLAS9Uq.jpg

5NVJQzb.jpg

It will support my upcoming Rover, Lander and manned missions.

I also added a Processing Lab to my space station:

Ui1K8Iu.jpg

The module was quite heavy, I had a few problems to move it during the docking.

757Vr3L.jpg

But it worked :)

dOoxSHy.jpg

Edited by Julien Kerman

Making a landship. This is the first working model. It could carry a good load (~2,000t) but turning took absolutely forever.

H95YrTU.png

Decided to make the next version a half-track so it could actually turn around. Turned out pretty well.

cVMXb7b.png

o1gQu2Y.png

Someday, somehow, I will get this thing into space.

1 hour ago, FungusForge said:

Making a landship. This is the first working model. It could carry a good load (~2,000t) but turning took absolutely forever.

Decided to make the next version a half-track so it could actually turn around. Turned out pretty well....Someday, somehow, I will get this thing into space.

You live definetly on another planet...:D Epic landship, someone call some japanese manga authors...:cool:

29 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Refined the wing design of a plane I made, since it looked too big. 39qZUqh.png

Cookie to anyone who can guess what it is loosely based off of (shouldn't be too hard)

F-16.

Had fun with BDA armory and my new X-wing and TIE prototypes.

They don't look accurate as I've focused more on functionality than aesthetics: 100% VTOL and 100% capable of atmospheric flight and fight both. Will refine later.

c9SMegX.png

4FgXB82.png

OuKPGa7.png

XpcE3dp.png

Edited by PlonioFludrasco

Last time my Tylo circumnavigation had reached a crater rim at 7S. Today I continued following the prime meridian north, crossing two major craters and stopping at 35N.

The point where the prime meridian met the equator was rather boring.

tylo_expedition_38.jpeg

On the other hand the terrain between the two craters was quite interesting. I often had to drop out of physics warp to keep the rover from crashing.

tylo_expedition_39.jpeg

There was a convenient ramp going down into the second crater. It descended 3 km in around 20 km of smooth terrain.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_40.jpeg

It was time to do some mountaineering after the crater, as I had noticed an interesting peak on the north wall.

tylo_expedition_41.jpeg

The mountain was bigger than I expected. The batteries ran out of power on the way up. 8 RTGs were not enough for going uphill, and the terrain was too steep for the brakes, so I had to some interesting maneuvers to avoid sliding all the way down. Ultimately I reached the summit, which was around 6 km above the crater floor.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_42.jpeg

Edited by Jouni

Did Naval Operations and Maritime SSTO launch (Using Mods for the ships, not the SSTO). I don't know how to share pictures so sadly you'll see none as of yet.

Edited by Cwiffy
Adding details

So I decided to finally send solar panels to my Mun station, since the onboard lab couldn't operate without them.  I did all the stuff required to rendezvous, only to realize that I had no construction ports on the station except for last one intended for expansions. So I had to leave them floating around and build new module with correct number of ports. So I did. When I got up to the station, the other module was already 10km away. But I did it, success.

On 23.5.2017 at 8:46 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Docking ports and construction ports will never dock (by design)

Like others I too wish to have read this earlier. :P:D Or at least before I launched a new segment to my space station, painfully maneuvered it into place - and have it not docking ... :huh:

But because I didn't, I assembled my existing station in the VAB - sans docking ports - and launched it with the ever reliant F12-CW ... coughcough ... into orbit. I then employed the services of Ship Manifest Inc. to transfer the crew over ...
With the latest rebuilt the hab time for the fully crewed station is finally several months to a year!
(Only the tourists that came up with the unwilling new segment of the space station had to be brought down to Kerbin the traditional way.)

For many careers I finally got around to use the Ant-engine again to land a very simple probe on Minmus for a contract.

Next up is a double flag planting mission to Mun and Minmus, in the same go the team will have its first go at Surface Experiments on either of the two bodies.
That should give us enough science to unlock longrange antennas worthy of their name, so that launching two comm-sats in highly excentric polar orbits will be worth the effort - might still need to upgrade the network for missions to Eeloo though.
After that all necessary infrastructure for a probe mission to Duna should be in place.

Was doing terrain tests on the landship and realized the biggest issue with a 90 meter self-propelled board.

DS53ZoG.png

Despite being able to get up to speed, it can't handle most terrain because it loses most of its traction when only four of its 20 tracks are touching the ground, as well as any hopes of steering more than a couple of degrees every 20 minutes when the 32 wheels aren't touching the ground. Looks like making a jetpack for a football field will have to wait. I have some ideas, but I have no idea if they'll work as I'd like.

Edited by FungusForge
Typos