What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

Landed the 3rd Kerbal on the moon:

zePzot9.jpg

9N4UUKd.jpg

JqYRMhk.jpg

I also started thinking about a manned sun flyby and tested a few concepts.

Thanks, now i want to do a direct Moon Mission too!

I tried it before and i recorded it, and im going to "analyze" that footage to see what went wrong.

4 hours ago, CaptainTrebor said:

Launched my first rover to Minmus.

Congratulations!

This is KBC News.

<BREAKING NEWS>

"This just in from the KSC today, Col. Jebediah Kerman, flying the Apollo capsule with 2 other crew, is on course to the Mun. The ship lifted off from the KSC on Day 2 at 0:00:00 on the dot, climbing to an altitude of over 200,000 meters. However, an issue with the maneuver node meant that the craft would have a periapsis of just under 48 thousand meters. Wasting little fuel or time, Jebediah quickly fired up the secondary stage, and moved the craft into a less suicidal 70,000m periapsis. After one successful orbit, the vessel re-fired the secondary stage, and began burning on an encounter of the Mun. After a 34 second burn, the craft was on course to the Mun. Following the burn, the crew jettisoned the second Stage booster, and undocked from the LM, before re-docking with it on the nose port. In 1 day, the crew will encounter the Mun, before burning retrograde to capture inside the Mun's SOI. Once that is completed, Jebediah Kerman, the first Kerbal to space, and Valentina Kerman, the most decorated fighter pilot of the Owlian Republic, will move into the LM, and land it on the Mun. Following that, the 2 will rendezvous with Bill Kerman in the Command Module, which will dump the LM in LKO, before burning retrograde and going home to Kerbin.

No-one at the KSC was available for interviews.

This has been KBC news."

<End of Report>

On 10 de julio de 2017 at 2:33 AM, ARS said:

Can you guess what's inside :)?

A04wFhI.png

(Guess first before opening spoiler)

Hide contents

Okay, this could be one of the most ambitious (or insane) mission that I've ever performed. Well anyway, let's launch (Don't wanna spoil it too soon :P)

3BdgBpw.png

SRB separation confirmed

u7cllUR.png

Asparagus stage jettisoned

b9AGYDm.png

Circularizing orbit

Z7gpPda.png

Aaaaaand.....

Hide contents

BEHOLD! the self-sustaining deep-space observation vessel: Stella-Rium!

PuG2dXW.png

Lately, I've been thinking, up until now, gathering science from a celestial body is fun for me, but kinda slow, and also quite limited (One probe at a time for each celestial body), so... I started a mission to collect science from every celestial body in one go!

BwF2nQH.png

Mods I'm using:

For maximum amount of science: Probe Plus and Dmagic Orbital Science ( I crammed as much science instrument as possible, along with stock instruments with the exception of some specific instrument such as asteroid science or bathysphere science). Sadly, due to the design of the craft, I cannot stuff enough landers for every celestial body with every ground-based science instruments from stock and those 2 mods without compromising launch stability :( (My initial plan is stuffing an array of small fairings as "Observation canister", each containing a relay and a lander, but it turns out that it's not the best solution because it makes the launch vehicle unbalanced) so this mission will be limited to gather orbital science  from every celestial body. Anyway, I'm okay with that :)

For the craft, 2 main mods: KSOS Space Station and Solaris Hypernautics. KSOS for ship's structure, and Solaris Hypernautics for resource systems to make it self-sustaining

To make it self-sustaining, the ring in front of craft (It's not warp drive) is a dust accumulator that passively gathers cosmic dust by using magnetic charge, which can be replenished by using electric charge. The dust gathered can be compressed into ore, and from ore, it can be processed into Lf/Ox. All science instrument deployment, usage and reset are set into action group to access them with a single push of a button.

hkDu9lV.png

Separation from fairing base

oYgY2iB.png

Deploying all systems

aNrfPvz.png

You can see how cramped there when I stuff nearly all science instruments from those 2 mods and stock game :P

VcHrFfC.png

And finally... deploying Heat shield

Anyway, today's objective has been completed (Launching). The next phase will be Kerbin observation and research before heading to the Mun. Well, that's all for today, I'm gonna take a rest now (haven't sleep properly for 4 days because I'm creating this ship) :wink:

What a engineer!

22 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Built a minisub to explore Kerbins oceans.

BZBM5wW.png

It's so epic! 

6 hours ago, CaptainTrebor said:

Launched my first rover to Minmus.

Oh... I had launched rovers to Mun and Duna and I'm also going to Minmus today, with a rover!

On 7/10/2017 at 6:28 AM, Julien Kerman said:

The Mars ComSat arrived. It performed an aerobreak maneuver and entered into orbit:

PLAS9Uq.jpg

5NVJQzb.jpg

It will support my upcoming Rover, Lander and manned missions.

I also added a Processing Lab to my space station:

Ui1K8Iu.jpg

The module was quite heavy, I had a few problems to move it during the docking.

757Vr3L.jpg

But it worked :)

dOoxSHy.jpg

Which mod includes the station parts in the bottom pic? Thanks :) 

The Processing Lab, docking ports and RCS thrusters are stock, the grey parts on the left side and the grey parts between the white crew modules are procedural tanks.

I am not quite sure about the white crew modules. I think if you install Realistic Progression Zero with its required mods, you should get them.

Edited by Julien Kerman

29 minutes ago, Julien Kerman said:

The Processing Lab, docking ports and RCS thrusters are stock, the grey parts on the left side and the grey parts between the white crew modules are procedural tanks.

I am not quite sure about the white crew modules. I think if you install Realistic Progression Zero with its required mods, you should get them.

Im not really sure, but the crew modules could be from SXT, i think.

33 minutes ago, Julien Kerman said:

Using procedural tanks to round out the crew modules is genius! Thanks :)

This is.. a KBC News Break

<Breaking News>

Yesterday, we reported on the Apollo program and it's crew's trip to the Mun. Today, we continue. The first words from the crew this morning were "Control, we are in the SOI." Immediately following that, the crew burned periapsis to remain in the gravitational sphere of influence of the Mun. After multiple corrections and 2 more burns, the crew is now in a low- but stable- orbit of the Mun. Within the coming hours, the crew of Eagle 1 will descend from the orbit, and drop down onto the surface of the Mun, becoming the first kerbals to do so.

This has been KBC News

WORLD KERBIN NEWS

SUCCESS FROM THE MUN! Astronauts first to land on surface.

IPRhXS7.png

"Control, the Eagle has landed." Were the first words spoken from the Mun by Col. Jebediah Kerman. The vessel landed shortly after the decoupling of the LM from the Command Module, and when the Eagle Munar Modular landed, the Colonel was the first one out. "That's one small step for Kerbal. One giant leap for Kerbal-kind," He inspirationaly said, planting the flag as Valentina Kerman came out of the module to join him. The two become the first kerbals to walk on the un-explored surface, and propel themselves into the history books.

WORLD KERBIN NEWS

Splashdown! Apollo 1 Astronauts make it home safely

5irJuyH.png

After a 5-day, high-stakes mission to the Mun, the 3 Astronauts of Owlia's Apollo 1 landed safely off the coast today. The capsule was carried by the Eagle LM, which unfortunately didn't make it back to the surface of Kerbin. After a brief medical check, the 3, who are now members of an elite club, will be doing a full tour of the surrounding nations of the world.

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

WORLD KERBIN NEWS

SUCCESS FROM THE MUN! Astronauts first to land on surface.

IPRhXS7.png

"Control, the Eagle has landed." Were the first words spoken from the Mun by Col. Jebediah Kerman. The vessel landed shortly after the decoupling of the LM from the Command Module, and when the Eagle Munar Modular landed, the Colonel was the first one out. "That's one small step for Kerbal. One giant leap for Kerbal-kind," He inspirationaly said, planting the flag as Valentina Kerman came out of the module to join him. The two become the first kerbals to walk on the un-explored surface, and propel themselves into the history books.

Congratulations! Theres nothing quite as satisfiying as your first time landing on the mun.

FINALLY got an explore contract that wasn't a moon of Mars (which have both been visited already...)  Mariner is basically a carbon copy of the initial Triking probe to Mars, including the data-return capsule to bring those lovely materials studies back home.

Mission control did consider a probe lander (plander?) but... the surface is such an unknown below the clouds that it was decided to wait for the radar maps and orbital data. Which it turns out are really slow work, what with this planet's incredibly long rotational period... Launching from Earth as Mariner arrived at Venus, Takei Kerman arrived at Mars before the Venusian maps were complete :/ 

3IMYiNw.jpg

With Aries Station in an equatorial orbit around Mars, its old-school lander has visited all the biomes it can tackle. Cue the Aries Lander II, with room for two crew, and towing a rover designed to allow excursions to the elusive spots within a few degrees of the equator :)  The original lander is moved away under remote control and parked in a nearby orbit.

Spoiler: the wheels all broke during warp. We have no idea how. Fortunately Doohan Kerman was able to repair them on arrival... and thus earned her spot on the next landing. It would be bad to lose a wheel on the surface, so we won't risk it.

Spoiler

OekoFHj.png

On the up side, we had some spare fuel, which was transferred to Aries Station.

Also, another leaked photo from the testing range...

SGnahsK.png

Edited by eddiew

23 hours ago, Jouni said:

Last time my Tylo circumnavigation had reached a crater rim at 7S. Today I continued following the prime meridian north, crossing two major craters and stopping at 35N.

The point where the prime meridian met the equator was rather boring.

tylo_expedition_38.jpeg

On the other hand the terrain between the two craters was quite interesting. I often had to drop out of physics warp to keep the rover from crashing.

tylo_expedition_39.jpeg

There was a convenient ramp going down into the second crater. It descended 3 km in around 20 km of smooth terrain.

Hide contents

tylo_expedition_40.jpeg

It was time to do some mountaineering after the crater, as I had noticed an interesting peak on the north wall.

tylo_expedition_41.jpeg

The mountain was bigger than I expected. The batteries ran out of power on the way up. 8 RTGs were not enough for going uphill, and the terrain was too steep for the brakes, so I had to some interesting maneuvers to avoid sliding all the way down. Ultimately I reached the summit, which was around 6 km above the crater floor.

Hide contents

tylo_expedition_42.jpeg

i think your mission is so awesome.  it takes a lot of effort and patience circumnavigate Tylo. I enjoy reading your updates.

50 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Congratulations! Theres nothing quite as satisfiying as your first time landing on the mun.

Especially when the landing gear's upside down, the engine serves as the landing gear, and the ladder's too short for the crew to get back in. Other than that... :rolleyes:

Did a bunch more testing of RP-0 and

Orbital testing and sample return.

wmWqIw2.png

make sure the upper stage returns to earth, don't want too much space junk.  RCS and avionics to de-orbit it from up near 500km circular.

b9542T8.png

Spoiler

Lamont's PEG pushing the MJ ascent to orbit on two stages and Boosters.

PZdBi1J.png

Ready to send the samples home

k5uOf7a.png

xwTvy0E.gif

Moon tripping lunatic

AzuuOj4.png

Spoiler

W5KiMwA.png

Bam Orbit smooth again thanks to automation

v8o4aKX.png

Spoiler

w6PN5Pe.png

Small sat launcher

f0Fn2ou.png

9lAkCwX.png

Is this Gem in eye or Gem in knee?

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/90s2RAz.gifv)

Spoiler

GZAyQOM.png

SAcnCS1.png

5UE24Ag.png

Back Home

2GZSqvk.png

Edited by Bornholio

4 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Is this Gem in eye or Gem in knee?

Dude, if you have a gem lodged in either your eye or your knee, you should probably get that checked out. :D

But, in all honesty, I don't think anybody knows. To-may-toe, to-maw-toe, you know?

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Have a link for that PEG add-on for MechJeb? How do you like it? Does it take a lot of fiddling to work well?

It is a development fork of MJ available on Github.  https://github.com/lamont-granquist/MechJeb2/releases   Provided as is no warranty :)  Lamont has some RO specific optimizations in addition. (handling Ullage and starts)

PEG is not appropriate for Kerbin, a gravity tun module is added for that but I've not tested it.  For PEG you set both target PE and AP, set how many powered stages (ie >20m/s dV) are to be used.  Set the booster time to ~same time as 1st stage or 1st+boosters, make sure your ending pitch is reasonable (~20deg) and tune it on further runs to orbit. Initialize stages (also use this button if the timer sticks or anything gets wonky). You can mess it up by hot staging and fairings are touchy.  Works very well with a good design 2 stage to orbit.  If it can't find a solution it will change modes to unpowered gravity turn and display NaN for some data.  In this case the rocket may not have been lofted high enough or may just not have enough dV to make it to specified orbit.