What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

i have done nothing (yet) just installing unity so i can create a KSPedia page for 64k overhaul V2.0 the current planed features are:

Fuels (only for parts that go together as to not ruin other's fun with this part can only go there)

KSPedia

Shuttle configs

and more!

18 hours ago, FungusForge said:

Problem is if I go for fewer it won't even be able to move at all. In the image you quoted it was only supported by 8 of the tracks, which as you can see are bottomed out and being flexed upward. they could only muster 1.2m/s to move it off of the crawler track. The other thing is that all the tracks are already beneath the body and there isn't any more room. That said I recently discovered the spring settings in the IR module (I wish it was accessible in the editor like the speed and acceleration things so I wouldn't need to restart KSP for the changes to take effect), and have been working on a setup that works.

As for making it a hover... well on the second day of working on this I decided to give Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak campaign another run and then ended up listening to some of the soundtrack on a loop. The thought has occurred to me a couple of times. I'll probably make one with the help of Near Future's nuclear reactors.

Is that where your inspiration came from: the land carrier from Deserts of Kharak? I haven't played that game though, I probably should.

I started with my Voyager missions:

Voyager 1 launch on Titan 3E. Failure -  The probe ended up with an useless Jupiter encounter (Periapsis: 19 mio km instead of 340.000km)

oS9Qgbn.jpg

Voyager 4 made it, although its inclination was about 3 degrees off AND it lost lots of lqdHydrogen on the pad.

n7laZMZ.jpg

Voyager 3 launched on a Saturn V/Centaur and got the planned encounter:

ibFAVsa.jpg

eovbnzG.jpg

Voyager 2, 5 and 6 will be launched tomorrow.

I also failed a station contract, which expired 180 days after I accepted it. I totally forgot about it, because I was busy with the Voyager missions.

I lost:funds:-300.000 and more than HALF of my reputation :(

8mz3v2H.jpg

1 hour ago, Kerbital said:

Is that where your inspiration came from: the land carrier from Deserts of Kharak? I haven't played that game though, I probably should.

Yes. I've had a fascination with landships since Supreme Commander, but Homeworld in one way or another has inspired a lot of things of mine. Unfortunately, I think this whole project is beyond the capabilities of what I can do in KSP right now. Part joints are just too weak, and I can't auto strut much of anything when using IR. 

However, the original half-track has less problems in lower gravity, and since Duna is both flat and lower gravity, I think that'll be the destination. In fact, I actually removed the middle 3 rows, and ran over the crawler track in give or take Duna gravity and it handled it fine. It might be able to handle other low gravity worlds, but I've been to Duna enough times to know its safe there. I wonder I many it would take to wrap around Gilly though.

WtXm3lV.png

BwkKMHl.png

Here's pictures of the final test with the IR suspension before I surrendered to the might of Kerbin's gravity.

Spoiler

6lqzv5x.png

This was what killed it, driving around would dislodge one of the center-most track pairs and summon the kraken. An earlier prototype summoned the kraken before leaving the runway. 

QrIg6qK.png

The kraken denying the landship's right to exist.

BASgG1T.png

The command tower sliding to safety.

I completed the Tylo circumnavigation. After picking up Jeb, who had tried some mountaineering near the north pole, I headed towards the cave.

The terrain between 89N and 87N was the worst I have seen on Tylo: countless of bumps of all sizes.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_58.jpeg

Things got easier below 87N, but I had to stop almost immediately. Because the rover is controlled by a probe core, I need constant communications with Kerbin. It hadn't been a problem so far, but now Jool decided to block the Sun.

Spoiler

tylo_expedition_59.jpeg

It took an hour before the communications were restored. The terrain was very easy for a while, and there was even a large flat area where I could safely drive at 110 m/s.

tylo_expedition_60.jpeg

When I was coming up from the south pole, the Sun was never too far below the horizon, and I had a direct link with Kerbin. Now it was around midnight, and I could only drive for an hour when the mothership was above the horizon, and then wait for another hour when it was below the horizon. I had to stop twice: at 65N and at 51N.

After 51N, the terrain became worse. First I was surprised by a 2 km deep crater in what appeared to be level ground, and then I reached the black area surrounding the cave. I had to reduce speed, as there was no way to avoid bumps in the darkness.

tylo_expedition_61.jpeg

Finally I reached the cave at 40N and planted flag 36 next to flag 2 which was already there.

tylo_expedition_62.jpeg

That's not the end of the expedition. When I was scanning the terrain before landing, I located another anomaly in addition to the cave. I managed to lose the location on the way, but now the mothership has discovered it again. It's located at 14N 6E, or almost halfway around the world from the cave. I guess I'm heading there next.

I sent a probe out of the Kerbin system for the first time in Alternis Kerbol. It's purpose was to explore closer to Jool, but it happened to pass close enough to Laythe to get flung out of the system. Not only that, but it has enough delta-v to do a maneuver in about one solar orbit that will set it on a course straight to the Tylo system!

http://imgur.com/a/3Z3lq
Edited by cubinator

It's been awhile, I think, but I pretty much abandoned my NACA Wallops playthrough in science mode because Procedural SRBs were having a problem with Principia. I had a couple of false starts with RP-0 in proper career mode before remembering just how much I detest contracts. So I decided to do something about it.

Over the last week I've looked at different options before finally rewriting Monthly Budgets to work the way I want it to. With a few tweaks to building costs I've managed to cobble together an RP-0 career mode that I'm enjoying much better. There are still contracts but I do them purely for the rep and don't need them to advance, which makes them much more palatable. Scaling upgrades for KCT keep things honest and degrading rep per quarter over a certain amount helps as well. It'll be a bit before I'm launching Thors again and the rep payouts seem pretty overblown (should probably be about half, I think), but it's been a fun journey. When the Principia/Procedural SRBs thing gets worked out I'll probably start a new save with reduced rep payouts to see how it plays.

Anyway, pictures from this new save:

nigAL3j.png

The nosecones actually help the SRBs separate from the main rocket.

INvnRgh.png

I'm reusing names from historical rockets because I'm uncreative in that way.

o2NopuD.png

Vincent Hunt's Daredevil suffered a performance loss in the A-9 engine but it was still enough to break the sound barrier and prove the escape system worked as desired. During the second flight he breached the Karman Line but blacked out on the way down from excessive G forces. Fortunately the automated system (my finger) was ready to deploy the parachutes and he was returned safely home from the flight. I don't think I'm going to be launching another of these, they're pretty dangerous.

E: Gotta fix that day number thing in the Historian layout...

Edited by regex

The end of the journey for the passengers of Vishnu :

n9unzv3.png

Two maneuvers costing a total of 190 m/s were required to intercept Minmus without spoiling fuel to change the inclination before.

Outhwpl.png

aUjAuOC.png

With all the contracts completed there was no other interests to stay orbiting the mint-ball...

OWD4qLr.png

Due to a lack of fuel for a circularization around Kerbin it was decided to realize a burn for a direct re-entry and to land anywhere by using the parachutes. It extremely annoyed me to do that as it's usually a maneuver dedicated to most of my Mun-Minus flight with a capsule...

5GFoiGh.png

Then, for the first time I think (!), the KSC appeared to be clearly attainable, requiring a simple and short burn to change the inclination before re-entry.

le1zVNa.png

The X-21A firstly seemed able to kept its angle without doing anything then started to drop so a fuel transfer to the rear tanks was needed. It was enough to correct the problem.

V2G0Nyz.png

The altitude for the distance to reach the runway was perfect, the speed for its parts was miserable...

FlDVka3.png

itiqdHj.png

... but the craft appeared to be a much better glider than what I expected!.. I mean, for such a kind of wings.

NTocs97.png

2vEecpE.png

With "only" 10 degrees available for no-damages landing the flare was extremely small but sufficient to reduce the speed to about 41 m/s. The braking chute then appeared to be totally useless at such a speed but as it was a testing flight I decided to use it.

jsA41Nh.png

3r8dHpP.png

Samus and Sergei are proudly posing in front of their craft while the tourist (sadly) can't get out (or are probably vomiting too...). Anyway, contracts completed!

On 7/13/2017 at 3:05 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Actually, I made a similar craft today!

A pretty nice one. I built a compact one yesterday too, only to carry micro probes and satellites for the Mun/Minmus contracts :

VmehbLk.png

(It makes me discover that the front Mk 2 fuel tank looks like a sad Transformers robot face if you placed a pair of rectangles under the tanks "eyelashes")

Today I installed Airplane Plus and diagnosed someone's prop plane, and experienced the awesome of small prop planes. :) Later I built a Konkorde from Airplane Plus and OPT. It goes up to Mach 6 on just two OPT engines and seems promising that it can do a lap or two around the planet, but the Airplane Plus cockpit can't take that heat. It has to cruise at just over 100m/s to keep its nose up. There's even plenty cargo space!

UR4g6RJ.jpg

F5fBEXG.jpg yL5WmEy.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

To celebrate the crew of the Jool-5 expedition earning their veteran orange suits on return to Kerbin, flew them to the North Pole and restored an ancient flag there that fell over at some point after the game physics update.

Rest well, Jeb, Bill and Bob, long gone to the distant stars, but not forgotten. Roley, Kenlan and Tangy will carry your banner forth to Eeloo and beyond!

Yjto0sz.jpg

Launched a Venus (hopefully) lander. Got bored of building a new LV every 2-3 missions, this time I'm sticking to my Atlas-ish (engine and performance-wise, not staging) rocket and only switch upper stages when necessary. 400kg to Venus is on its limit, maybe a bit beyond, so I added a solid kick motor just to be sure.

BJ4X8Je.png

Spoiler

TE7ma8d.png

voaG3wM.png

ziBU5QA.png

Had some precession trouble, but after an obligatory 25m/s burn just outside of Earth's SOI I have a good encounter and a 400km periapsis. The probe itself has about 250 m/s, so no hope of ever entering orbit. Hopefully I'm coming from the right side. 

Edited by ptr421

straped for cash I took about ten tourists to orbit with Jeb.

All at once. 

The sheer weight of the monstrosity of two hitchhikers and a mark 1.2 meant the speed was extremely high even from orbit with re-entry burn. The parachutes didn't deploy until about 500M above the water. 

I got stuff setup for going to Duna and coming back on monopropellant. No pics yet. Will probably involve 3 launches due to the horrible payload fraction and lag-limited size of monopropellant rockets from Kerbin.

Space shuttle is currently sitting in the VAB at the ready while I work out the circularization burn angle equation for it's launch script. I was going to have an equation to find the orbit path acceleration towards Kerbin and directly cancel out that, but just now while I was typing this I had the idea go through my head to use a PID loop. :)

2017-07-14%2021-10-55.png

Cyclic script for helis is just about done. Probably could have tested and finished it today, but I just really did not feel like debugging it.

So I mucked around with non-script-assisted helis a bit. Almost crashed into the VAB.

2017-07-15%2017-07-26.png

Also designed a sleek new turboprop engine that will probably benefit from the collective/constant-speed-prop script I've already finished. I think it will only be usable in opposing pairs though as it generates nearly a meganewton-meter of torque. :confused:

2017-07-15%2021-53-47.png

Then again I haven't tested it yet, so it might just explode. :P

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

2017-07-15%2021-53-47.png

Then again I haven't tested it yet, so it might just explode. :P

Looks real neat. But whatever you use it on will be a monstrosity.