What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I remembered an oddity during an attempt to retrieve a probe; the recovery vessel made use of two fairing bases to create an open cargo hold and a Claw grappler that got upgraded by some of my mods to have a magnet as well.

So, I recreated the design and - remembering on maximum power the magnet drained my batteries in seconds - I attached a USI nuclear reactor to it, as well as shorened the distances on a hunch.

BUPQXSP.jpg

It is not the fastest ship - and given our smart and playful community most likely not even the first of its kind - but the reactor will keep going for 16 years before its rods are depleted, and with its mass of just under 14 tons it took just about 15 mins to get an encounter with Mun to propel it out of Kerbins orbit with 0.146 g acceleration.

LiwQ0TI.jpg

@kraden Konstruction adds a magnet with variable strength to the stock claw. My guess is, that this magnet tries to pull in the other wall of the open cargo bay build from the two fairing bases. But since the claw is part of the same craft, the whole craft is being moved/accelerated.

Edited by KerbMav
wrote nonsense from an earlier misconception while building the craft

11 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Konstruction adds a magnet with variable strength to the stock claw. My guess is, that this magnet tries to pull in the other wall of the open cargo bay build from the two fairing bases. But since the claw is part of the same craft, the whole craft is being moved/accelerated.

Do you want krakens? Because this is literally how you get krakens. Some forces are not to be meddled with by mortal kerbs!

*forks the sign of the Evil Bulging Eye at you & hides in the corner*

Hailo my dudes!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And today, we are going launch satellites, using rockets, boosters and 12342 cups of tea motivation.

1. "Vibrant" solar dust collector launched to a high, inclined orbit! Our launcher-"Amour"

(Note: what the hell is wrong with Vector engines?)

0lOmbxY.png 8ZJ9Gwa.png

ruSC0I6.png xHHAmjb.png

GbjKrRQ.png qOd93hy.png

2. "Atlas-Newlander" launched "Oxsat" to a low orbit of Kerbin!

(Note: didijustmessedupAtlas-V? )

b9ZXcap.png o3MzzSq.png

3X15zkV.png HYGaK9i.png

3. "Red Spear" is launched to nowhere! Yay! Although i realised how overpowered are stock solid boosterz..

(Note: OH MY GOD I ACCCIDNETALLY HAVE HIT THE WRONG BUTTON REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

GQT6SBT.png AMFGur3.png

eo3h1JO.png

uB3oAzj.png

4. "Shinchoku" (Jap: "Progress") is launched to LKO using brand new technology- Vectors with locked gimballs! I forgot what it supposed to reference to..

(Note: i forgot to screenshot stuff *cries under the bad for 30 minutes*)

f8hrPBI.png Zda1fdQ.png

Qe5PPxk.png

5. "Quiliu" (Chn: ''Airstream") or whatever it is spelled... Anyway, it went to the station, docked and and end gg lmao "will never try again-IGM".

(Note: this moment when you realise how easy is docking, when you are trying to dock from both sides)

RVCSsm3.png GX91AvZ.png

96G1QGp.png FY7FSii.png

jYQjrHO.png

5. Creation of "Drezz" rocket family! Those new rockets are supposed to be a company to an immortal launcher that is "Falangx" (look up the previous posts)

q6cXvIv.png

LmC9MVW.png

qPyauET.png

From top to pit

"Drezz-601"

"Drezz-602"

"Drezz-603"

Yep.

That is it.

Except:

And the previous one:

Got a Geostationary Comsat x4 network mission just in time.  They had somsat bus on them also, but i dumped that pod and tuned the orbits very fine.

1c2hwx5.png

Spied on the Russkis, radar and plasma science on a polar orbiter. Plus a little return pod in the nose bay

Spoiler

ZMUdxDc.png

ceriZgn.png

I went to the moon, my go to frame is currently the Agena Probe body, has several built in experiments and great batteries.

ZTjsKLc.png

Just dumped my orbit breaker stage and descent from 17km up.

Spoiler

8XQrNWM.png

2zqOOHy.png

Mission two

1eFnjP3.png

Coming in hot 74km PE, sailed right through and into a 410x-172km orbit.

7yrFnef.png

Sample return, cooked most of the ablator, good thing its got a little Cavea-B rcs to come in at the right angle.

Spoiler

1zVqeLK.png

Spyin' on the Russkis, or scansatting the biomes whichever works, got science and cash so i don't care.

BQkj1n7.png

Edited by Bornholio

If you've ever wondered what's under those clean Agena fairings... I love procedurals, for the record. This guy is more than just a film return, we're also going for the magnetometer and plasma science, and I'll boost those experiments on a Thor-Able for the High Above Earth returns later. The four large batteries roughly triple the Agena's 47 hour lifespan, and also hide the lack of engine hardware on the FASA XLR-81, which is little more than a nozzle. I'm not using the SSTU one due to a messed up lower attach node which I haven't really tried to fix yet (no fault of Shadowmage).

Anyway, I'm back where I was, still haven't put Principia back in because I want to use the procedural SRB first. NBD, I know this can make orbit in both and it's not like I'm doing anything outside of LEO intentionally yet. Today I fast-forwarded a lot, did site maintenance, waited on science nodes, upgraded facilities, etc... Which brings us to Q3 1955. The Atlas Agena launch went very well, I even used my old Atlas and figured out why it messed up earlier. Engines were replaced by the BDB ones because they look better than repurposed Ven's and with some changes to the Agena stage we were on our way. Agena was put into a 228x2020km orbit, rounded the Earth twice, and then fired the return capsule. I loaded a bit too much fuel which resulted in a very steep reentry causing the capsule to burn up. The next one will encase the return capsule in an aeroshell, something I should have done earlier.

Es1jVzQ.png

NID4uLW.png

BOb8PaW.png

Using  1.3 and SSRSS, heavy lifted and assembled this station core and power com sails,

screenshot56.png

The engineering and science crews arrived for final inspection,

screenshot57.png

screenshot60.png

screenshot61.png

EVA was working really good, managed to get back to the crew hatch,,,8)

Decided to try some stock surface base mk3 payload bay compatible surface base modules. I hadn't muched about with them since before com relays were a thing. They were limited by the "wheel blocked" thing when the wheels were slightly clipped, so I had to use many many of the small rover wheels, and part count was high

old base example:

Spoiler

1aPSPuF.png

Then I moved on to parts from the "Kerbal Planetary Base Systems" mod, which had great extendable rover wheels, and modules which can deploy to be wider than a mk3 cargobay, and life support parts. The modules also looked better for surface operations... nobody would want to sit in a sideways hitchhiker can in 0.5 G.

Example base:

Spoiler

SCAoqcD.png

Now you may notice the docking ports on the side of that orange tank, and wonder what the purpose is... they're at the right height to allow connection with my stock module designs.

Anyway, KPBS mining equipment is rather slow compared to the large size drills and such. So, I decided to make a heavy duty mining module, all stock:

9v6eid0.png

(its also a much more powerful relay than the RA-2 I had on the KPBS modules).

Tested deployment and recovery into the standard cargobay, it works:

Spoiler

Hy9viC0.png

AU94Ux6.png

Tested docking it and a fuel truck with the orange tank (that has KPBS landing legs, and 2 docking ports positioned to be compatible with KPBS modules sitting at their standard height using KPBS landing legs)

Spoiler

KyZBG1U.png

hQZhUO3.png

QG1dKzW.png

If I recall correctly, the stock large drills mine 2x as fast as the KPBS inline drills.. of which I had 3 inline on my latest base... this module has 6 large drills and should mine 4x faster (and convert faster too)

3ErdAey.png

Then I also made a short (3x 2by2 structural panels) and long (4x 2by2 structural panels) "flatbed" module where I could fit RA-100s, upright hitchikers, or whatever.

Short:

GtgWVyw.png

Long:

VXWNtul.png

Long with RA-100s (the short comfortably fits 2, but to fit 3, the long needs to clip the RA-100s a bit)

bQX34QV.png

The stock ones may be a bit more part intensive: each one needs 6 rover wheels, 2-4 airplane landing gear(to extend/retract to get the docking ports to the right height and connect when they don't quite line up), a probe core, and a battery and/or some power generation method. The KPBS modules I make just have 4 landing legs, and the rest is on a rover set that can pick up and drop off the modules thanks to the extendable rover wheels. The downside is KPBS parts are generally smaller/less powerful than 2.5m size and associated parts.

@RoadRunnerAerospace its probably EVE - Environmental Visual Enhancements

It plays well with Scatterer, to get shots like this:
y6Zzgs5.png
Spoiler

y0j73i8.png

smfdu76.png

Today I continued my mediumly-modded Career mode game. I sent my first manned mission to the Mun's vicinity. Naturally, I went in immediately for the 3-man landing. Because the 1.25m fairing max diameter is annoying, I had to attach the landing legs in orbit using KIS/KAS.

Being an idiot, I realized that I forgot a heat shield (the parachutes are in the container). After I had landed on the Mun. I know I might be able to survive reentry without one, but I don't want to risk Jeb, Bill, and Bob.

I don't have the cash to put a rescue mission into mun orbit, and my lander doesn't have the Delta-V to get onto an escape trajectory (my descent was terrible. tons of craters I had to avoid). I know I could have accepted a high advance contract, but I didn't like any that were offered, and I like the drama.

So, I came up with the extremely original idea of ripping parts off my lander until it is light enough to get onto an escape trajectory (I know, real original). I will then send a three person rescue mission on a free return trajectory to pick up my brave kerbonauts. What could possibly go wrong?