What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It is Year 56 of the Kerbal Space Age, and the Sixth Interplanetary Expedition prepares to leave Kerbin.

Destination: Purple Terror.
Mission: Impossible.

KBlpyfM.jpg

...53 years ago, the Second Interplanetary Expedition was (as you may guess) the Second to successfully reach another planet, but it was the first to have kerbals on board and the first to have successfully deployed a kerballed lander. The mission was one-way for both landers and the spaceship crew: without ISRU (which didn't exist yet), KSS Indomitable had not enough fuel for the return journey.

sd2HFBC.jpg

Half a century later, this relic of a bygone age still orbits Eve, and four of the crew members are still alive on board. The Sixth Interplanetary must evacuate the brave pioneers and upgrade KSS Indomitable's comms array, ship computer and power core, thus converting it into an usable orbital relay and science station.   

Note the fuel tanks of the Indomitable: back when it launched (0.90?), nuclear engines used both liquid fuel and oxidizer!   

Meanwhile, on the surface...   

BMnV8NW.jpg

The Indomitable carried two suicide landers. One didn't succeed and its pilot, Lanwin Kerman, earned a dubious honor to be the first kerbal to die on Eve. The second lander, piloted by Seeald Kerman, reached the surface intact and transmitted the science data. Only later, during the EVA to plant the flag, the kamikaze can succumbed to a case of Overstressed Explosive Landing Legs, leaving Seeald stranded in the mountains of Eve.

Perhaps, the fate of poor Seeald might yet have an unexpected twist...

xyEwTZJ.jpg

...There's a rover and a shuttle carrying not one, not two, but THREE Kerbettes - two engineers and a scientist - about to descend on him!

(Oh, by the way, Seeald haven't seen a female since he was a cadet, because that wasn't allowed back then. After 53 years in that space suit in the dunes of Eve, he's in for a mild shock, methinks.)

Edited by Haruspex

42 minutes ago, Haruspex said:

THREE Kerbettes - two engineers and a scientist - about to descend on him!

I feel that can be interpreted the wrong way...

Is the shuttle also crew return to orbit? Or also one way?

Just now, qzgy said:

I feel that can be interpreted the wrong way...

Is the shuttle also crew return to orbit? Or also one way?

Alas! The shuttle, is, in fact, a future science outpost. (even the contract says so, though why an outpost on Eve needs 1500 units of monoprop, I can't fathom). I consider this a start of a permanent colony.

Just now, Haruspex said:

Alas! The shuttle, is, in fact, a future science outpost. (even the contract says so, though why an outpost on Eve needs 1500 units of monoprop, I can't fathom). I consider this a start of a permanent colony.

Ahh, ok. That makes a bunch more sense. Apart from the monoprop thing. Kerbal contracts are weird.

More Atlas Agena. Lost two today, first to a return capsule mishap and the second due to a failure in one of the booster engines, punctuating the need for a range safety hotkey (now standard issue on all my LVs). I'll be moving over to Thor Ablestar next although I am really beginning to love this launcher.

Dropping the boosters during launch.

2gPtits.png

Agena over the south pole.

19iIElu.png

Successful film return re-entering over China.

qtawD1i.png

Agena burning for orbit.

MPiGAVD.png

Installed Universal Storage.  Threw together a basic Orbilander, and did a lap around Kerbin, almost landing back down on the launchpad.  No mods or math, just eyeballed the landing.

screenshot34.png

Apparently not quite enough parachutes though, lost my engine on touchdown.

8 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

MOAR BOOSTERS!

parachutes are soo overrated 

Well... I kinda used up all my fuel backpedaling after I overshot the landing and was gonna plop into the water.

I hit at 9.3 m/s, so just a few units of fuel would have been enough for a last second brake.

Just sent a crew to Duna for the first time in five years (of KSP calendar) as everytime I tried to do it before the launches windows were bad.

WnXTvoW.png

Just like before only the best were allowed to be on this flight, which no Jebediah on board!

EH4UjVg.png

As Mercury II was bit weak for this kind of flight, four liquid boosters were added to create Mercury III.

HEWQHRX.png

Booster separation after only a minute at an altitude of 8000 m. Equipped of parachutes their recovery will cover a bit the monstrous launching cost of this mission.

Ewc8SzM.png

koKLsd7.png

Keeping on to climb slowly, before a second stage separation at an altitude of 39 km and a speed on 1500 m/s.

dUYq0pi.png

Some seconds later the fairing was jettisoned but it also appeared the performances were less good than the ones expected. I, usually, use the third stage and its Rhino engine for Mun transfers, circularization around the satellite and landings were it's jettisoned about 30 seconds only before to make sure it while explode far from the craft but also to enjoy the fuel remaining on board. Anyway, we kept on.

agxiZ8O.png

Les than four hours later started the ejection burn, requiring about 970 m/s. 

BtwcPdE.png

5bP6D3n.png

We said good-bye to Kerbin some hours later as we probably will not see her again before two years. With a bit more than 700 m/s of impulse remaining onboard, the third stage should be able to perform the circularization at Duna, otherwise... the return will be longer than expected.

I built a Sarnus Shuttle:

ukfsI5x.png

Flew the shuttle to the Mun to deliver two micro satellites...

rubqKIX.png

Dumped the External Tank during the aerobraking pass...

hID1lZK.png

Circled around and de-orbited...

ygkzt47.png

On approach to Kedwards...

FsQ11eN.png

And wheels stop...

4wj9RkI.png

Colin's mission to deliver Munar Microsatellites completed!

Shuttle by:

Sarnus by:

Edited by Angel-125

I built a space station to house the cast of a "Secret Agent Kirrim" successor for my Youtube channel. One docking port is connected to my first space shuttle clone. It would have been finished today, but I had to go to the hospital. Expect the video here tomorow. Or don't. I don't care.