What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Decided to take another shot at a flying disk.

GDSzP71.png
Doesn't pitch very well, and fuel economy is horrible. but it flies pretty stable. Maybe I can tweak it into working better....

Edit:

Turns out to not need fuel or chutes to land. just select control from here on one of the docking ports on bottom, and set radial in then walk away for a little while XD

Edited by Corscaria

Just realized the first flight of the X-20A Brokk, a super small reusable spacecraft for ultra-light payload/dual tourist passengers.

50kuonm.png

2 tons of payload to 600 km, 50% recoverable, terrible glider.

N6PJXiD.png

And it got a Transformer clown face.

Progressing nicely and enjoying career mode. Using Monthly Budgets, Kerbal Construction Time, RemoteTech and USI: Life Support all mean I am putting far more thought into missions and launches, and they are making me build/design more conservatively, rather than my old approach of brute force and ignorance when funds were not a factor :D

Today I set up a deep space Comms network that covers as far as Joolian system, and I've sent off some probes to Eve and to Jool.

Edited by adge
Probes not proves!

I'm still busy with RO/RP-0, but I was showing someone normal KSP. I eventually demonstrated a Mun landing, but because I've been playing RO/RP-0 so much, I ended up with an entire extra stage that I didn't need. I decided to show off by wasting the fuel in a spin and pulling out at the last moment to land on the Mun.

However, the whole "pulling out of the spin" part did not work. So I end up slamming Jeb into the Mun at 300m/s in front of the person I was trying to show off to... smooth move, Steve.

I'm designing a small SSTO. It's intended to be able to carry small satellite into orbit

QEJt7pI.png

ViNxw8H.png

But then it's failed to make an orbit. Only able to make a suborbital trajectory

WRmIQJ7.png

And the next test ends in failure...

PbI2cbP.png

So I redesigned it as a fighter jet, and with BDArmory installed, I started my first dogfight battle. 2 of these are fighting each other

Mo8Zug9.png

7TBDhvf.png

X5Fk6b0.png

It's all fun and game, until...

gRRi4Ox.png

It ends when they get a mid-air collision. Apparently the AI is too excited in battle that it ends with them air jousting each other and crashed their wings

B3N5KtL.png

So... my first dogfighting ends with a draw. Well that's gotta leave an impression for me :)

Flew 0 meters in atmosphere or space once more. :rolleyes:

Instead fiddled with the third iteration of a small exploration vessel as well as my changes to USI-LS and SimpleConstruction.
When I am done here, my already built space station will be completely out of date. :P

13 hours ago, monstah said:

Hey, pretty cool! Are those modules you landed and docked, or did you build in-situ with KIS/EPL/something else?

Modules I landed and docked.

Not shown: The 8 or so discarded boosters surrounding the base

Nothing much at all.

Due to some screw-up I made with building my sister's computer, she now has to borrow my sweet, delicious, pixel producing, frame-giving graphics card. And on 2560x1440p onboard graphics kinda sucks. Luckily a new one is coming Saturday.

I now remember what a toaster is like.

32 minutes ago, ARS said:

How to make AI pilot fire a missile when using BDArmory? They seem to only use machine guns when I pit them against each other

did you use a weapons manager?

(this actually is two days)

Hercules 6 sent Val and Burbry Kerman to Iota

TUPrqM5.png

KtZNQN3.png

A probe was set to land and orbit tellumo

8IJL9kG.png

wyc7PDh.png

Finally, two mini probes were launched on the dawn/dusk sides of Gael, to test the power of a new rocket for small payloads.

Y3huQMh.png

NTnYPPY.png

The one fired Retrograde relative to Ciro/The Sun (evening)

8Jm6fNz.png

The prograde one (morning)

Started my day on Wednesday with a redesign of the Kerbal Tour Bus to turn it into a high-capacity, high delta-V rescue ship. The redesigned craft took off from KSC with Jeb at the helm on a mission to rescue four Kerbals, with the original intent to rescue engineer Theony Kerman first. The launch profile, however, passed within 5 klicks of pilot prior to apoapsis, so plans changed and I picked him up first. I realized after I made the rendezvous that I had a design flaw - the only way to get people in and out of the craft was through the hatch in Jeb's Mk1 Command Pod, so Jeb temporarily transferred back into the passenger cabins while Nelny boarded - I had to do this do-si-do with all four of the rescuees, and I also had to reinstall Ship Manifest before the game would let me move Jeb back to pick up Nelny (what I get for trying to use an outdated version of the mod). Theony was picked up next, with KTB passing within 1 klick on the next orbital pass. I then had to go high to redezvous with the other two Kerbal rescuees, engineer Eriemy Kerman and finally pilot Phoming Kerman. I was glad to find out Phoming was a pilot; my original intention was for Jeb to EVA while he Phoming boarded and got in the passenger modules (owing to the fact the craft was out of enough seats to do the switching about I'd been doing up to that point), but since Phoming could steer the craft, I let Jeb take a passenger seat for the final re-entry:

l6WG2hQ.png
Kerbal Tour Bus on re-entry, having just jettisoned its service module stage. Don't worry - I've got it on internal view; the sides of the craft are still there. Though there'd be something very Kerbal about it if they weren't...

Re-entry was a success, with the craft landing 125 klicks west of KSC for four contracts cleared and about √200k. I next picked up a pair of tourist contracts for Munar fly-bys (a total of seven suckers paying customers in all). I also picked up another LKO rescue contract and a Mun science contract, and used the proceeds to upgrade the Tracking Station to Level 3, leaving the Administration Center, VAB and R&D facilities left to upgrade to full.

Yesterday began with a redesign of the Fireball 7 Mun/Minmus lander owing to the unlocking of more advanced parts and the realization that I had forgotten to add a dedicated transfer stage to the craft - didn't want to burn up 40% of the craft's available delta-V just getting out to Mun. Redesign complete, I launched Bob Munward:

kIdabJ9.png
Fireball 7 at launch. I couldn't tell you which iteration of the craft this is - I've had a craft named Fireball 7 since the v0.18 demo. Obviously this one's a bit more complex than that first one...

Rest of the day was fairly non-descript. I launch a Boop-Boop 7 probe (dubbed Kerbin Delta once it was in position) into a polar orbit of Kerbin and then redesigned the probe's booster so that Stage Recovery would actually be able to recover some stages of the design. I had Jeb take off in a Bad Idea 2 surveyor aircraft to do a pressure survey near KSC - one of those "here's your first waypoint, no it ain't the source so here's the next waypoint" jobs. Five waypoints as it turned out taking me over to the next continent to the east, by which point I was already halfway over to another aerial survey area I had a contract for, so I went ahead and finished that one up too:

Q36Xsjb.png
Bad Idea 2 flying over some mountains on its way back to KSC from the second survey mission.

Jeb ultimately returned safely to KSC 27 with about half of his fuel. Ended the night by adjusting the orbits of a pair of satellites for contract and a Kerbin space science contract, which I did with Bob aboard Fireball 7 by transmitting a crew report from high Kerbin orbit (already had done one of thems and there wasn't anything left to be gained from one, so it was a quick transmit job). Hoping to get Bob into Mun orbit to pick up science and maybe pull a rendezvous or two later today. Meantime I've a grand total of eleven tourists headed to Munar orbit. Might be just about time to start porting over all my craft designs from 1.1.3 to re-establish the infrastructure I had going there...

Just realized the second flight of the X-20A this morning (around 06:10 eeerrr...) with a super small 0.9 tons comsat as the payload :

UoXYeOr.png

First stage propelled the craft to 1200 m/s before shutting down. A high kick which was a bit hard to control but which went well.

P.S : it would be so much better if the SRBs, or at least the only the Kickback, were equipped with gimbal servo actuators... just like the real ones boosting the Rockwell Space Shuttle.

4Xlqsku.png

Keeping on accelerating with the second stage and its Swivel while the Sun is rising...

0IBIJYN.png

... then circularizing the orbit at 400 km 15 minutes later. For screenshot reasons I kept the first stage tied for about 20 seconds after it shut down, the time to make the friction disappears. But it also slow down to craft to much and the second stage wasn't able to push the craft at more than 387 km before it stops. So we finished with the spacecraft. But it wasn't a problem so much as the craft still get 2 km/s available after the circularization.

9evv6lB.png

2lr6GWL.png

Releasing MunCom 2. With its single Ant engine and 0.898 units of fuel available it got 4.7 km/s of impulsion available, more than enough for any orbit changes with the futur Mun contracts. 

1kZ3d2z.png

With nothing else to do in space, we came back 1 hours and 48 minutes later, the time to lower the Pe to 180 km and to de-orbit. Reentry started pretty softly, the craft slowing down well, but... as an idiot (and also due to a reflex due to my others space shuttles) I transfer the fuel from the front Mk2 tank to the two circular at the back instead of the opposite! It result in a crazy looping around 13 km...

But the craft (ultra realistically) survived .

xCe50wh.png

Just 37 km before the touch down. This craft is even worse to control than any other one I made before, needing SAS on at any time if you don't want to enter a crazy spin (after all it was designed to land with parachutes). But it stays fun to play with it.

Wfs0FbF.png

It also is a super bad glider. Anyway it made it, nearly reaching the RWY09  before the speed drop to 20 m/s, making it logically falling like a brick.

Despite getting still about the half of its fuel onboard it descended to a "soft" speed of 6.6 m/s, enough to ensure a landing without breaking anything.

wckIqBH.png

FVX0nj5.png

Tadaaaaa... we made it! 1.3 km from the Center and in a Kerbal-like logic "only" 97.9 % recovered. 12 009 funds retrieved, about 50% of the launch price.

Not all this was done today, but I've been brushing over them recently.

This is the Kerbol system 2 billion years ago, an upcoming planet pack release.

AhX8G9u.png

Pearl (Jool)

SJJD20h.png

Seth (Duna)

YGC9yBg.png

Seth again, without its visuals

MgGDqvB.png

Eden (Eve), the home planet in this pack. Its stats mirror kerbin for the sake of gameplay.

vsNwKzT.png

The Atlas (Kerbin). It hasn't yet been colonised as the life is all on Eden... The Mun has not formed yet.

WkNNyuQ.png

Pearl from the Borea (Laythe).

RVJ8r1n.png

Sekhmet (Moho).

Edited by Gameslinx

26 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Not all this was done today, but I've been brushing over them recently.

This is the Kerbol system 2 billion years ago, an upcoming planet pack release.

AhX8G9u.png

Pearl (Jool)

SJJD20h.png

Seth (Duna)

YGC9yBg.png

Seth again, without its visuals

MgGDqvB.png

Eden (Eve), the home planet in this pack. Its stats mirror kerbin for the sake of gameplay.

vsNwKzT.png

The Atlas (Kerbin). It hasn't yet been colonised as the life is all on Eden... The Mun has not formed yet.

WkNNyuQ.png

Pearl from the Borea (Laythe).

RVJ8r1n.png

Sekhmet (Moho).

looks great! when will it come out?

Launched something new under a "new sun".

zIrpzD6.jpg

Returned to Mun now that the technical difficulties with our equipment have been fixed.

lRZnglk.jpg

And even more fiddling with mods - encountering even more peculiar issues ...