What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

28 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Last night I tweaked.....even more engines! :P 

I messed with some Z-Things and made LFO versions of Karbonite's rocket engines including the use of the blue texture from the KLF series LF-consuming jet engines.

dWfMgQr.jpg

This lunacy has 1.5 TWR at launch and 5km/s dV.... To be fair this 9-engine cluster is about as much as a Mammoth wrapped with 4 Vectors.

8YICsBn.jpg

I believe I recognize some parts on your (awesome) mothership that look like certain fuel generators. :wink: And I admire how well B9 HX and OPT can fit together.

You are Correct , have a cookie

Edited by Puggonaut 2
I'm Drunk

Back in RO/RP-0, I'm working on designing a manned lunar lander. I wanted it to be as light as possible, so I chose an X-1 cockpit as the core, as it is only 0.35-ish tons. My new problem was that there were no engines that were restartable, throttlable, and small enough for my needs. I could coat the thing in 1kn thrusters, but those get an isp of ~180 iirc.

I ended up with the Lunar Module Ascent Engine, which is still very overpowered on the ascent stage, and an Astris on the descent stage. It is a bit big, and can't throttle, but is restartable.

No pics just yet!

Also I launched a mini Salyut/Skylab on the new "Gravity II" booster, which is a single core version of Gravity I (plus a hydrolox upper stage).

so apparently the key to making a great space craft is 6 shots of whiskey and drunk flying. this thing is super speedy and glides forever, one of the best space planes i ever made. (re-size mod used for booster tips, wings, and plane nose)

1AF5A8CB414B4940E4631BC39E5F2B6CAF4F11C0

621C7511C47D8FF3CDAEFC0C8FEBB7E516B37779

feeling those G's

BCDC0B31C613FD59984BA56B1B032844213F8958

tank de-coupled

8A25F5D588362D8136354CC6E82DB3FAA88AF002093F72CE24A18F986803898A6481EA254C6431D5C6F84A436EDB2C57FF4A5E4A71FB3951C79038D1

I modded again, but I also played! Not much and nothing to exciting though. :D

Back to the Mun, but this time to finish some survey contracts and gather orbital science from still missing biomes, especially around the poles.0Ot4MUl.jpg

After docking back at the space station, the engineers built a couple science return pods and sent them back to KSC.lMgNZhE.jpgkkpxkac.jpg6382SMS.jpg

Today I attempted to tackle one of my greatest foes! Space Shuttles and SSTOs. I have spent many hours over the course of the last several years attempting to make both of these. I have never succeeded. To be fair, I could make an SSTO easily using whiplashes. Same goes for space shuttle using Vectors. However, I design them for my career game, in which I have neither.

Today I succeeded! I successfully created a space shuttle-style craft that could return to Kerbin without burning up (even though I had to extend the landing gear during reentry in order to cause some drag).

So, I present to you the...... um... give me sec while I think of a name. Why don't you look at that squirrel next to your computer in the meantime?

Vulture!

(I'm still working on the whole precision landing thing)

It glides beautifully, and the ascent isn't too difficult to pilot. Descent is a little trickier. 

With this achievement, I will likely have to take a break from KSP for a little while because I'll be busy for the next couple months...

I got 20 minutes only today. But it was enough to start working on another ultra light spacecraft, this time dedicated to crew transfers only :

JDedykz.png

Two seats, 5 tons max, 2.9 km/s of impulsion available with its Switch engine.

iKi5h1y.png

XHCBeeD.png

I only had the time to test a reentry and its bad, really, REALLY bad, attitude in the denser atmosphere. It will need a bit of work and probably will inherit of the X-20A SRB main launcher.

Built a rather fast Juno powered jet plane. It looks kinda plain, but it's got ease of take-offs and landings, 9+G banks and rolls at Mach 0.7, and a top speed (albeit at a high-ish altitude and after a few minutes of slow acceleration) of Mach 1.7.

Not bad for a Juno powered plane.

kkEcKRE.png

kQVQf3U.png

I was able to run KSP. yay.

I played around with a dinky little helicopter (ok, not so dinky). Flew horribly

galjUuB.png

Then I made this thing.

jYO976P.png

hSaoqaQ.png

Uses around 80 junos over four engines. Bearing is partially based off of Azimech's. Engine is original though (and my most stable one yet!) Also in the works as a tiltwing.

Has to still use infinite fuel though. :/

Edited by qzgy

Back to the game after several months away, downloaded 1.3 and started downloading and installing my usual suite of mods.  (Still only about halfway there.)

Got liquided that a challenge forbade MechJeb, designed my own version requiring MechJeb, flew the challenge to prove that it's doable...  Now trying to decide whether or not to post it.  (Basically the challenge is still challenging even with MechJeb, annoyed that so many folks insist on making challenges an eye-hand coordination test rather than an engineering challenge.)

Downloaded Heisenberg Airships, messed about checking out all the changes.

Finished work on my first cinematic ever! I wrote a kOS script for a skycrane-style rover delivery to Duna. I usually make script-showcase videos that are pretty boring, so I decided to do something new. I learned a lot about video editing and cinematics in general. It's a helluva lot of work. Looking forward to making more.

2 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Got liquided that a challenge forbade MechJeb, designed my own version requiring MechJeb, flew the challenge to prove that it's doable...  Now trying to decide whether or not to post it.  (Basically the challenge is still challenging even with MechJeb, annoyed that so many folks insist on making challenges an eye-hand coordination test rather than an engineering challenge.)

Yeah, go make your own challenge, with blackjack and h--

Er... well give me a holler, I'll join you. :D MJFTW!

The Minmus Globetrotter, having been sent out on a routine obtain readings contract to the west decided to ignore the steering functionality of their rover. Unable to contact them due to a broken antenna control decided to plonk a goody ship in their path with a new antenna, some newly researched wheels and extra chassis parts.

screenshot20

After bolting on the new antenna the crew were able to point out the new wheels weren't as good as the ones they had and please check the craft specs before sending stuff. They did however take advantage of the chassis parts to widen the wheelbase somewhat.

Girim's attempt to emulate an F1 pit crew fell short in the functionality test.

screenshot22

After a bit of jiggling it was eventually decided to stash the wheels in the upright and ignored position.

screenshot23

They are now a trifling 120km from Minbase having visited every biome except the poles and ticked off a Minolith to boot.

55 minutes ago, blorgon said:

Finished work on my first cinematic ever! I wrote a kOS script for a skycrane-style rover delivery to Duna. I usually make script-showcase videos that are pretty boring, so I decided to do something new. I learned a lot about video editing and cinematics in general. It's a helluva lot of work. Looking forward to making more.

While the graphic quality is impressive, your shot composition and editing needs work.  You never showed a clear shot of the vehicle at any stage of the process, so it's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on.

Assembled The Fleet

3 hours ago, blorgon said:

Amazing looking foward to the next video allready .

Quick question ? what is the soundtrack called from the video please .

It is Year 56, day 230 of the Kerbal Space Age. On the escape trajectory out of Kerbin, the Sixth Interplanetary Expedition met the horror of deep space. The Kraken!

QNrP0T7.png

As soon as the ejection burn finished, the whole ship started to bend and wobble, threatening a complete disintegration. Turning off or on SAS, RSS, changing control points made no difference. Through trial and error the only way to save she ship was found: as soon as the Kraken hits, to ditch the rover deployment package immediately.

FOA3O9R.png

The Kraken grabs the rover and it's forcefully thrown away from the mothership; after this, the wobbling subsides. We'll have to continue without the rover.

L0thpij.png

But Seeald Kerman's fate - and the contract, because there should be THREE engineers on the oupost - depends on it! 

Luckily, the rover package has some fuel and four small engines of its own for orbital correction and a 10 m heat shield. It should be enough to do a mid-flight orbital plane adjustment and to arrange a direct impact with Eve. Let's see if the rover survives it and where it lands.

VxbvGEU.png

Six days later, the mothership makes a plane correction and "hits" Eve. Now, we can only wait and relax for 192 days it takes to get there. Jananne the scientist takes her place in the shuttle lab.

7AuBBHD.png

Meanwhile the rover performs the correction maneuver independently and also sets the right course at Eve. 

GPAA07e.png

Note - no periapsis! A direct hit at Jool knows how much miles per second. It will arrive two days before the mothership. And there's even some fuel left to adjust the point of impact!

YSwfLlE.png

Seeald Kerman still has a chance to join our crew, it seems.

Edited by Haruspex

7 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

While the graphic quality is impressive, your shot composition and editing needs work.  You never showed a clear shot of the vehicle at any stage of the process, so it's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on.

It's not really about the vehicle though—it's about the emptiness of space and the desolation of Duna. My intention wasn't to show off the craft design or the skycrane mechanism or any of the 'rocket science' behind the mission. What specifically makes it difficult to tell what's happening?

5 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Amazing looking foward to the next video allready .

Quick question ? what is the soundtrack called from the video please .

Thank you, much appreciated. The music is actually three different pieces that I edited together. Here they are in the order they are used:

The Force Awakens, Trailer #1, John Samuel Hanson
The Mole, Dunkirk OST, Hans Zimmer
No Place On Earth, The Heart of Man, Tony Anderson

2 minutes ago, blorgon said:

It's not really about the vehicle though—it's about the emptiness of space and the desolation of Duna.

Well, it doesn't really convey that either.  You've given nothing which provides any sense of scale, and your constant closeups give the exact opposite impression - of being cramped and closed in.  You barely see Duna at all except for one long distance wide shot, and some random shots of the horizon where you can barely see the rover (again, the rover provides scale).

Look at this shot (starting at 00:46) to get an idea of providing context and conveying scale and emptiness.

4 minutes ago, blorgon said:

What specifically makes it difficult to tell what's happening?

I'll quote myself from my earlier post, where I provided the specifics - "You never showed a clear shot of the vehicle at any stage of the process, so it's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on." 

Watch this video and note how they mix close up shots with long shots to provide context.  Especially note the sequence starting at about 3:20 and compare it to the sequence above to see how the provide context and scale.

13 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Well, it doesn't really convey that either.  You've given nothing which provides any sense of scale, and your constant closeups give the exact opposite impression - of being cramped and closed in.  You barely see Duna at all except for one long distance wide shot, and some random shots of the horizon where you can barely see the rover (again, the rover provides scale).

Look at this shot (starting at 00:46) to get an idea of providing context and conveying scale and emptiness.

I'll quote myself from my earlier post, where I provided the specifics - "You never showed a clear shot of the vehicle at any stage of the process, so it's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on." 

Watch this video and note how they mix close up shots with long shots to provide context.  Especially note the sequence starting at about 3:20 and compare it to the sequence above to see how the provide context and scale.

It kind of sounds like you want an entirely different video than what I made. You linked to a tracking shot in the Build Fly Dream trailer that zooms out to show scale, but that's just one way to do it. The shot that I used from the skycrane as it decouples and flies off has a similar effect, and so do the wide shots that follow which intend to show the scale of the rover in its environment. Do you really not get a sense of scale from the wide shots in my cinematic? Because I have a hard time believing that. And as far as 'barely seeing Duna', did... did you watch the whole video? More than half of the video shows Duna in various shots—two wide shots showing the entire planet, two showing a significant portion of the planet's horizon, several shots during the descent that show the terrain, and then the last third of the video is all wide shots of Duna's terrain...

The Curiosity mission animation is also a video solely focused on the technical aspects of the rover's landing and surface activities, something I had no intention of doing in my cinematic. And I don't see how the sequence at 3:20 shows any better sense of scale than any of my shots.

There are plenty of both close-up and long-shots in my cinematic—something you imply isn't the case—so I don't see how you're having difficulty gleaning any context from them. Plenty of friends who have seen it—some of whom don't know squat about space and engineering but nonetheless know about the Curiosity landing—had no problems understanding what was happening in the video.

You've given nothing which provides any sense of scale

Really? I haven't used any shots that provide any sense of scale? Not even that 'random shot of the horizon where you can barely see the rover' (which you yourself say provides scale)?

It's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on

Sounds like a failure of imagination to be honest. There's a booster separation at 0:23, a fairing jettison to expose the payload at 0:56, a transfer stage jettison at 1:01, aerocapture from 1:07-1:16, initial aerobreaking with drogue chutes from 1:17 to 1:36, heatshield jettison at 1:42, powered descent and landing at 1:53, and skycrane decoupling at 1:54.

And you're saying you can't tell any of that from the video? Not that any of it is actually necessary to understand that I'm landing a rover on Duna, with which you only need the drogue chute shot and the touchdown at 1:53 to establish that. Again, this isn't supposed to be a technical video—I don't see any reason why a viewer would need more than what I show for them to understand that I'm landing a rover on Duna.

None of your arguments are convincing. You contradict yourself when talking about the sense of scale, and then you say that other videos use a mix of close-up shots and long-shots to provide context, something my video does too. I hate to sound so rude in my reply but it honestly feels like you're just nitpicking for the sake of it.

Tested this monsterous rover.

GEqZazv.png

GEr2CSE.png

This roomy rover, comfortably holds 3 crew and 8 passengers, sports 6 Drill'o'Matics, 2 ISRUs, and 2 new OxyMonoISRU test units (converts excess oxidizer into monopropellant. because I never calculate how much oxidizer I need, and often have a lot left over with no way to dump it). It is capable of up to 45m/s on electric drive only, but has a pair of jet engines to get up those "steep" 20 degree hills surrounding the KSC. It's 8 large deployable solar panels and enormous battery capacity enables this over-sized rover, to keep mining and refining all night long with plenty of juice to spare. Currently all sales are pickup only, a suitable delivery system has yet to be worked out.