What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

21 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

HOW??!?!?!

How do you make the airships? Mine always pitch straight up or straight down.

[Edited by adsii1970]

Two mods you'll need...

You'll need this mod from @Angel-125:

And then you'll need to use this mod to get everything to work together:

Here's what I've got going with airships:

Spoiler

KCOYVDm.png

ytd2weF.png

heJeYUK.png

UVrjHbq.jpg

Today I just about finished getting all the parts of my Gilly Invasion Fleet -- erm, I mean refueling outpost -- in their final position/configuration ("almost" because I'm still in the process of deploying some communications relays in some loooongggg sllloooowwww orbits}.  I'm rather pleased with how it all came out--every single element of the fleet arrived directly into a low-altitude Gilly orbit-entry deceleration burn, not a single "orbit Eve first, and then play the "catch Gilly if you can" game.  Except for the Gilly space station core, which NEEDED to make a 'pit stop' in Eve orbit in order to fulfill a station-building contract.  I felt pretty good about that one:  got paid once to put it in Kerbin orbit, again to put it in solar orbit, a third time for Eve orbit, and then there was the FOURTH contract to put it in Gilly orbit where I wanted to go anyway.

And I'm getting better at packaging multiple payloads:  This fleet was only 6 interplanetary vehicles, to transport 16 different craft to various places in the Eve/Gilly system.  So, yay for that.

But then the contract system promptly decides it wants me to do a flag ceremony ON EVE.

Offer rejected.  With extreme prejudice.  I do NOT send kerbals on one-way missions.  And I am nowhere near ready to try an Eve-return mission.  I doubt I'm even going to bother with "space near Eve" science on this mission...

3 hours ago, blorgon said:

It kind of sounds like you want an entirely different video than what I made.

No, I want a video entirely like the one you said you made, because it would be very cool.  (Well, once you settle on what video you want to make, you claimed two very different ones.)

The shot that I used from the skycrane as it decouples and flies off has a similar effect

Not really, no - because by not showing the stack, you've failed to provide context.   That's the biggest problem here - you swap almost randomly from cramped close in shots to huge wide shots, and completely fail connect them or to provide scale and context.

and so do the wide shots that follow which intend to show the scale of the rover in its environment.

Not really, no.  Because you can barely see the rover down at the bottom and in the corner of those shots.  (Something I pointed out in my previous message.)

And I don't see how the sequence at 3:20 shows any better sense of scale than any of my shots.

Then honestly, there's no point in continuing the conversation.  You're not even trying to understand what I'm saying.

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yeah, go make your own challenge, with blackjack and h--

Er... well give me a holler, I'll join you. :D MJFTW!

I've finished testing it, to make sure that a) I can do it (a basic requirement for challenges), and b) that it can be accomplished with no mods other than MJ (since not everyone uses KJR).  Now I just need to find time to write it up and post it.  (But I also have posts for my anime blog that need working on... and those have hard deadlines.)

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Using those two mods, the pitching happens.

@DeltaDizzy Are you turning SAS on, and clicking on the Heisenberg icon and checking "Auto Pitch On"? Also, are you using the Altitude Control instead of changing the envelope percentage? If so, then make sure you're leaving the vertical change at 0m/s until the buoyancy/weight is close to "0". Then keep the change upward to less than 3m/s - more than that, and the airship will likely pitch up or down.

You should have at least 2 SAS rings on your airship - if only two, then near the ends, and equidistant from the middle.  They should be the last item before the nose cap / tail cap working out from the middle of the airship - this allows maximum control authority. Also, the airship build should be as symmetrical as possible in relation to both the airship's centerline from side to side, and "midline" from fore to aft. Example:

Nose cap - SAS ring - 10m balloon - 10m balloon - 10m balloon - SAS ring - Tail cap

If you have more gas bags / different size gas bags to front or back, then you'll have pitch problems that SAS probably can't handle.

If none of that works, then try posting in the Heisenberg thread, or HL Airships, and I'm sure someone there will give additional advice.

Edited by panarchist
Clarified comment on SAS rings - thanks DerekL1963

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

If you're not averse to using MechJeb, check out my tutorial - Mechjeb for Airships.  You will need to make sure you have sufficient SAS authority and EC.

4 minutes ago, panarchist said:

You should have 2 SAS rings on your airship - near the ends, and equidistant from the middle.

At least two - my Norge uses three.

lDT3ntb.png

1 hour ago, DerekL1963 said:

(Well, once you settle on what video you want to make, you claimed two very different ones.)

What?

Not really, no - because by not showing the stack, you've failed to provide context. 

What are you talking about? There's a 15 second long shot showing the 'stack' with the rover, the skycrane, the heatshield, and the parachutes. What context do you imagine you're missing?

Because you can barely see the rover down at the bottom and in the corner of those shots. 

Okay. I think I know what the problem is. Did you watch this video on your phone, or some similarly small screen? Do you have poor eyesight? Did you watch the film in full screen? On a crappy internet connection?

Nobody else has chimed up about these 'failures' you keep insisting the film is rife with. You sound ridiculously bitter. Thanks for excrementsting on my hard work though, you're a real charmer.

16 hours ago, blorgon said:

Finished work on my first cinematic ever! I wrote a kOS script for a skycrane-style rover delivery to Duna. I usually make script-showcase videos that are pretty boring, so I decided to do something new. I learned a lot about video editing and cinematics in general. It's a helluva lot of work. Looking forward to making more.

<snip>

That was incredible. I hope to see much more of your stuff. It was timed perfectly with the music, and your minimalist story-telling style is absolutely breath-taking. I applaud you - well done!

3 minutes ago, Khorso said:

That was incredible. I hope to see much more of your stuff. It was timed perfectly with the music, and your minimalist story-telling style is absolutely breath-taking. I applaud you - well done!

Wow thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed. Stay tuned for the Mun landing video. I'm working on the storyboard right now.

Today I created a large refuelling station around Kerbin with somewhat like 100.000 of each propellant, and get screwed up by the Kraken, causing my vessel a jam of random pieces exploding everywhere. Should fix my space shuttle, all the stations I try to dock with it explodes :( . Oh, and I created a Kerbal Roaster with high Kerbal roasting capacities : 16 Kerbals per firing. Great industry. :wink: 

Blorgon, I just love your cinematic ! Great piece of work :) 

What is the music you used ?

1 hour ago, HerrCrazi said:

Today I created a large refuelling station around Kerbin with somewhat like 100.000 of each propellant, and get screwed up by the Kraken, causing my vessel a jam of random pieces exploding everywhere. Should fix my space shuttle, all the stations I try to dock with it explodes :( . Oh, and I created a Kerbal Roaster with high Kerbal roasting capacities : 16 Kerbals per firing. Great industry. :wink: 

Blorgon, I just love your cinematic ! Great piece of work :) 

What is the music you used ?

Hey, sorry, I didn't get a notification because you didn't quote or tag me! I used three songs, edited together in Audacity (and modified a bit too, with some effects and stuff, but mostly unharmed). Here they are in the order they play in the film:

The Force Awakens, Trailer #1, John Samuel Hanson
The Mole, Dunkirk OST, Hans Zimmer
No Place On Earth, The Heart of Man, Tony Anderson

I recovered the crew from the Minmus Explorer ending their ~200 day to Minmus which was mostly spent in an awkward polar orbit. This was the first sortie for the Koyuz 2K-ES which is an autonomous variant of the Koyuz 2K family.

Koyuz 2K-ES on approach to Minmus Explorer

KEnKl0T.png

Topping off the list of first, this mission is the first time (since playing KSP) that I have successfully transferred a vessel from one orbit to another and deliberately left in Kerbin Orbit for re-fuel and re-use later. The Koyuz 2K-ES collected the crew from the Minmus Explorer and returned the to kerbin.

Successful docking with the Minmus Explorer, this vessel has docking ports for multiple types:

DpJboJM.png

This was one of the more complex rendezvous I have planned because of the Minmus Explorer's orbit (150K pe, 1.8M ap) which meant I had the Koyuz 2K-ES meet up at their closest point before quickly departing. [This is the most forward planning I have done in recent games!]

The Koyuz 2K-ES (now under manual control as the crew is aboard) undocks leaving the Minmus Explorer under 'Keep-Alive' computer control. It will remain in this state until it has ben determined what shape of it's next mission will be.

B04CtdU.png

Spoiler

Another safe landing, this time at night and in the desert. The sun is just beginning to tint the rim of the horizon giving the mountains a lovely back lighting.

EmV0p7R.png

7 hours ago, blorgon said:

Hey, sorry, I didn't get a notification because you didn't quote or tag me! I used three songs, edited together in Audacity (and modified a bit too, with some effects and stuff, but mostly unharmed). Here they are in the order they play in the film:

The Force Awakens, Trailer #1, John Samuel Hanson
The Mole, Dunkirk OST, Hans Zimmer
No Place On Earth, The Heart of Man, Tony Anderson

Thank you very much for these :)

11 hours ago, blorgon said:

Nobody else has chimed up about these 'failures' you keep insisting the film is rife with. You sound ridiculously bitter. Thanks for excrementsting on my hard work though, you're a real charmer.

I'm not sure why @DerekL1963 is being like this... I haven't seen any cinematic coming from him, so I wonder how experienced he is in filming. I've had a go myself, and it isn't easy.

I think he wants more sweeping shots that run past the vehicle and then out again. I think the CameraTools patching function works well for this. But honestly if your next cinematic is anywhere near as good as this one, I'll enjoy it.

Edited by Skylon

I returned...

Last couple of years have been ... well I realised a month or 2 ago that I had turned into one of those sickening "inspiring" stories of carrying on despite your problems. To hell with that, I wanna play KSP!

18 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I hope this helps you (and anyone else who wants to know...):

• The Airships mod by @Angel-125 has some small RCS looking thrusters which are found in the "control" section of the SPH/VAB craft editor.
    • In the OP, or maybe it is the tutorial, @Angel-125 says these things work on compressed air - and you gain compressed air by using the mod's engines in your craft design.
    • When the engines are running, they produce electric charge and the compressed air. They work to keep your ship balanced. But this is only part of the equation.
  • The Airships mod also has its own reaction wheel segment (Again, this is the Airships mod we are talking about). I always place mine right behind the forward blister "nose part"
    • This is critical. It helps to keep your airship balanced.
  • Use the weight to keep the thing balanced during construction. It really doesn't really matter where you put the gondola, but it can be used to balance out the weight of the craft.
    • This means you need to plan what your craft is for - I have two basic types so far - passenger and ground vehicle transport.
    • Remember that fuel distribution changes how your creation will fly. I chose to use a combination of solar power and nuclear power for my newer craft. This means I use the electric fans. They are slower but in my opinion, I will gladly trade speed for stability.
    • If you do use the LF generators and engines, you'll be able to have greater speed but will need to assure you allow the tanks to drain equally across your craft.
  • Start small. Learn the basics. If you'd like, I can give you a copy of my first successful ones to fly, learn the basics, and to dissect...

I'm here to help... :D