What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

49 minutes ago, kraden said:

@blorgon I finally had a chance to watch your video (I read the forums on my phone, so it's not always appropriate) and I must say, I love your camera angles. The music fits well with the shots in showing the desolation and/or loneliness of Duna. I may have to show my sister this video as I think she'd like the camera shots too (she's a film student and has an eye for that type of thing). I look forward to your next video!

I just wanna say that I appreciate you waiting till you could watch it on a proper screen, lol. Would love to hear what your sister has to say. My brother was a film student too, so I'm always looking out for constructive feedback.

@blorgon I'll send her the link :)

My personal favorite bit is when the camera keeps its relative angle with the rover during descent. Second is watching the stage separation early in the video.

My only criticism, if you could even call it  that: It would be cool to see the rover moving during the timelapses. The type of movement best suited would be a robotic arm taking samples or a chem cam. Of course, without the rover being equipped, that's not possible. I also expect this would be hard to pull off without it looking goofy. 

Just now, kraden said:

@blorgon I'll send her the link :)

My personal favorite bit is when the camera keeps its relative angle with the rover during descent. Second is watching the stage separation early in the video.

My only criticism, if you could even call it  that: It would be cool to see the rover moving during the timelapses. The type of movement best suited would be a robotic arm taking samples or a chem cam. Of course, without the rover being equipped, that's not possible. I also expect this would be hard to pull off without it looking goofy. 

Yeah, the hardest challenge of making this was that I wanted to minimize how video-gamey it looked, which meant minimizing how many closeups I used on the actual craft. I find it a little jarring going from this:

a56782dd1e.png

To this:

6403df3e42.png

Because that first example, while not photorealistic by any means, is quite... cinematic, whereas the second shot immediately reminds you you're looking at a video game. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I struggled with the idea of including closeups of the rover, because I didn't want it to look too gamey. The rover is actually moving in every scene but the last, during the Ike eclipse, but rovers move pretty dang slow so I guess it's pretty hard to tell.

7 minutes ago, kraden said:

My personal favorite bit is when the camera keeps its relative angle with the rover during descent.

You mean this scene?

111bac5773.png

That's my favorite scene too, although the color banding in the sky really really bothers me, lol.

career mission to duna ( surface science )

science probe with all the goodies, notice its very advanced first stage? :P

4DC1006FA1305A3783EFD4E7C7B05F989D4D4F5F82E67003567849CC66972CEDE7F05FCB0DA4DF93

EC088BB04274F3A2ED7ECD911A44A85087FAFF57

going up.....kinda off course but will fix once up in orbit

F2FB747676A4BD8B7C5ABE9E0873FDC63C01DE05

orbit fixed side rockets decoupled

7A98D152B0BF73110BDA2419708696A38BD2E226

we go behind kerblin and burn towards AP and sit back  and sip our coffee

4AF824D566A95E1F402A909F7592B2D82161C970

intercept reached and we find tune it while still behind kerblin

303690DF9D61A9D12C4210C8B2904EACAFBA34C2

orbit reached and set to bring us in nice and easy

73B38C6FBB208C384AFF8E196D6290E0EA063B5D

now we keep the craft as horizontal as possible and glide to glory

6E5BC7595EA099FB512D98D0B612D141E5294E3D

at this point i realize i didnt use lander legs :/ wonderful

232510CC9F1C045001E96E4CD7E8AFDD6EDEFF08

thankfully the reaction wheel in the probe core keeps us from falling over

F407AFEAB119E06E8357B70C3CE36720A23FE87F

53 minutes ago, blorgon said:

<snip>

You mean this scene?

111bac5773.png

That's my favorite scene too, although the color banding in the sky really really bothers me, lol.

Yes, and I'm so used to the banding in the sky that I didn't even notice, lol.

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Actually, I do have landing gear on mine... and it works fine:

Actually, I do too. But if it works without...

Oh, and to stay on-topic: What I did in Kerbal today was spend far too much time trying to find a Tech Tree I actually like, so I can (re)start my career game.

14 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Actually, I do too. But if it works without...

Oh, and to stay on-topic: What I did in Kerbal today was spend far too much time trying to find a Tech Tree I actually like, so I can (re)start my career game.

I usually use Historical Progression, but it isn't updated, so I'm using ETT instead.:P

sitting here listening to the music from the main menu and deciding if I should bring a 72 year space program to a close and begin fresh. It has persisted over a few updates <began before kerbnet was a thing> and is highly disorganized, but, and this is the part that has me sitting here: this particular save was started when my eldest cat was still alive and it has a memorial munar base in her memory (she passed in may 2016). I know, sounds crackpotish but, part of me cant bring myself to bring this save file into cybernetic oblivion. any advice? am I being crazy and sentimental at the same time?

original post 00:07:30

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

Just make your own. Making a patch for CTT really isn't very difficult, especially if you're just moving parts around the nodes.

43 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

sitting here listening to the music from the main menu and deciding if I should bring a 72 year space program to a close and begin fresh. It has persisted over a few updates <began before kerbnet was a thing> and is highly disorganized, but, and this is the part that has me sitting here: this particular save was started when my eldest cat was still alive and it has a memorial munar base in her memory (she passed in may 2016). I know, sounds crackpotish but, part of me cant bring myself to bring this save file into cybernetic oblivion. any advice? am I being crazy and sentimental at the same time?

original post 00:07:30

Save. It.

Believe Me. If you delete it, you WILL regret it eventually.

Deletion is forever.

Oh, and as for KSP, this:

Ted6lS8.png

Edited by DeltaDizzy

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Post the save in its entirety in the User Created section, just in pure code format.
Add in a picture of your cat as well as a screenshot of the memorial.

And then make a step into something new.

14 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

The settings are at default.

i'm currently stuck in a game of Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul, with only "Test x in flight" and survey contracts. I do not yet have the tech for anything else, which is why this is such a problem.

With the default settings, it's like trying to take-off on ice - and that's true no matter how far along in the game you are. Try this setup: override the friction on the back wheels to full (5), and set the brakes to full (200); when you get better gear, lock the steering on the aft wheels. Set the friction on the forward gear to 2.5; when you get better gear there, disable the brakes. If you find yourself still sliding, bump up the friction on the forward gear. If your forward gear is full friction and you're still veering, I'd begin to suspect that something isn't quite straight somewhere - and if you're not adverse to mods, you might try Hangar Grid

The plane you had in the post right before I answered you the first time - that's just a mockup, right? If it's not, I noted some other things, namely that you need to get an aileron on your main wing (Elevon 1 works okay for swept wings) and that your pitch authority is gawdawful. Despite the name, Tail Fins also work very well as full plane horizontal stabilizers; my early designs use either them or AV-R8s in the tail (the latter for very small designs, of course). I'm also not seeing anything resembling an air intake (which is why I suspect it was just a mockup to show your preferred gear setup). Rebuilt your plane mockup with those modifications and got it off the ground (except that I did not replace the Delta-Deluxe, which prompts the comment about the pitch authority). A word of caution: if you do take the advice to dump the Delta-Deluxes, make sure you pull up gently when you want to take off. With the fuselage that low to the ground, it'd be really easy to rip the tail off if you pitch up too hard.

As for myself in KSP yesterday, I didn't get to do much besides offer advice on the forum; was preparing a card game prototype to go to the printers. Hoping to get to play today. Might also have more to post about my exploits in recent days when I get an opportunity later on.

Well, my modding isn't to the level above, but I went one step beyond text editing and part re-scaling.

I had made engines/motors for use on Duna/Eve/Tekto using LF+O or electric charge + IntakeAtm (community resource pack). However, in my modified system I have some bodies of water where the atmospheric density is quite low (<25% of kerbin sea level), resulting in higher takeoff speeds and lower thrust - while the water's just as thick as on Kerbin. I also didn't like the slow speed of subs (although I can make it so that the atmosphere suddenly gets thicker below 0m), nor the high fuel consumption of stock solutions (ie a wheesley or goliath), nor my previous modded engines (a decent submerged speed for a given electric charge/fuel consumption rate results in OP'd atmospheric performance).

So I decided to mod some engines using IntakeLqd (again from the community resource pack, but its easy to add by text if you don't want to download that). As it was I already had 3 different parts using the goliath (goliath + 2 others), so I decided I needed some other way to distinguish them in the part menu other than mousing over and reading their names: color coding... I think I overdid it with 2 of the 3 colors.

Reddish-Brown: LFO consuming engines - Ramrockets, Turborockets, Rocket-Fans/Etc

Green: Electric fans (using IntakeAtm and electric charge), so far I just have 1 of this type/color *** Too Green

Blue: Liquid propulsion and related parts - so far i have just 2 motors, and 2 "intakes" for IntakeLqd. *** Too Blue

LPX4hJA.png

Spoiler

Kx9sDss.png

The big goliath derivative is what I'm calling a rocket fan

Then I made a submarine with the new Blue parts:

V6CaHCY.png

I also designed it so that it can be loaded and unloaded from a mk3 cargobay, like I do now for pretty much everything that I send from Kerbin to the surface of another world (unless it can fly on its own at the destination)

Then I checked craft I had launched already in career using the older parts that I recolored to red-brown/Green to make sure they were fine:

Fpx01V8.png

The green isn't so bad in the lowlight conditions and purple ambient lighting (its on Eve)

The red-Brown looks better IMO relative to the others, I may have to redo the others.

MMRgmMq.png

Also, now by having my modded parts a non-stock color, it may prevent confusion in people looking at my pictures. For example, before the recoloring, people might think I was using stock turboramjets on Duna, and thus either I used them to get to orbit of Kerbin and then flew there (although it would lack visible vacuum propulsion in that case, or I modded Duna to have Oxygen, or something like that.

Spoiler

Instead, their Ramrocket engines that aren't much like turboramjets at all. Its a 300 Isp rocket engine combined with an "air augmented engine" that doesn't work at 0 velocity (and won't produce significant thrust below mach 0.5). The air augmented engine module gets 1440 Isp. So its comparable to an inefficent rapier, if you had to start rapiers in closed cycle mode just to get moving.

Actually last night, because it's too late and I'm too tired to write things up when I'm done...

Made a quick run through (no roleplay, etc...) of a Science mode game, testing the proposed settings.  Basically 50% Science return balanced by having Dmagic's science pack installed.   While it was doable, it wasn't very fun.  I spent a lot of time scrabbling around for every scrap of Science...  when I was trying to avoid the grind to start with.  I'm trying to find a sweet spot between the grind and the flood of Science that Dmagic's mod provides.

I already use a MM script to move stuff into the Start node (as shown below)... Basically this provides roughly the same starting capabilities the US has in 1959 - and so I don't have to go through the grind of strip-mining KSC for Science or resort to craft designed by Rube Goldberg.  I see two options at this point.  First, turn up Science return.  Second, move the DTS-M1 down in the tree so I can go interplanetary much earlier.  (Grinding towards the DTS-M1 is the primary source of my dislike of my initial test.)  I think the second option may be the way to go, combined with possibly turning the Science return down a touch more (to compensate for the flood provided by interplanetary Science).

(Ignore the orange tank, it got moved down while I was testing the script and doesn't get moved in the production version.  I'm too lazy to go back and take/edit a new screenshot.)

XHhzAyY.png