What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, capi3101 said:

With the default settings, it's like trying to take-off on ice - and that's true no matter how far along in the game you are. Try this setup: override the friction on the back wheels to full (5), and set the brakes to full (200); when you get better gear, lock the steering on the aft wheels. Set the friction on the forward gear to 2.5; when you get better gear there, disable the brakes. If you find yourself still sliding, bump up the friction on the forward gear. If your forward gear is full friction and you're still veering, I'd begin to suspect that something isn't quite straight somewhere - and if you're not adverse to mods, you might try Hangar Grid

The plane you had in the post right before I answered you the first time - that's just a mockup, right? If it's not, I noted some other things, namely that you need to get an aileron on your main wing (Elevon 1 works okay for swept wings) and that your pitch authority is gawdawful. Despite the name, Tail Fins also work very well as full plane horizontal stabilizers; my early designs use either them or AV-R8s in the tail (the latter for very small designs, of course). I'm also not seeing anything resembling an air intake (which is why I suspect it was just a mockup to show your preferred gear setup). Rebuilt your plane mockup with those modifications and got it off the ground (except that I did not replace the Delta-Deluxe, which prompts the comment about the pitch authority). A word of caution: if you do take the advice to dump the Delta-Deluxes, make sure you pull up gently when you want to take off. With the fuselage that low to the ground, it'd be really easy to rip the tail off if you pitch up too hard.

As for myself in KSP yesterday, I didn't get to do much besides offer advice on the forum; was preparing a card game prototype to go to the printers. Hoping to get to play today. Might also have more to post about my exploits in recent days when I get an opportunity later on.

After my new design failed, I decided to use the old on as a science tractor.:P

So using the tourist contract pack I have been requested to build a 50 person hotel. I don't have the larger cabins yet so I am building it in units of 4. To make sure I meet the request I am doing 14 launches. Today I managed to do 7. Heres some pictures of the construction of Profitus Maximus!

1st and second module attached. 2 delivery ships in the mix as well.

PRd8cZr.png

A little mishap occurred during the 6th rendezvous...Still have 2 other engines so its all good.

rsw8gB8.png

Tomorrow I will launch the other 7 and hopefully make some money out of this junk yard... I mean hotel.

38 minutes ago, something said:

Misused KSP as a CPU/GPU temperature benchmark today. I guess 58C under load is not that bad, considering an Intel stock heat sink....

My i5 would usually run about 60 when I was playing KSP, with the stock cooler.  Ditched the onboard graphics and got a big-boy GPU, now it usually sits about 45 when running KSP or BL2.

Haven't set up full time GPU temp monitoring yet.  Should probably do that.

26 minutes ago, invision said:

most gpu cores can hit 90c before they start having issues

For short term peaks, that might be the case, however, I suspect thermal throttling might start at 90C so I wouldn't recommend that temperature for any extended periods of time. My CPU has a specified maximum safe operation temperature of 72.72C, so I want to stay below that, as exceeding that temperature might cause slow but continuous degradation of your CPU and its circuity. Then add some margin for hot days and high load and you end up with round about 60-65C...

So unfortunately I wasn't able to land it today. :(

But I was able to get the crew ship and landship in a rendezvous. I will finish this mission soon.

NZpeTB4.png

70RDzXx.png

The plan is to dock them, transfer crew and refuel the crew ship, and bring the landship down to Duna. Depending on how long it is until the Duna->Kerbin window I might end up freezing most of the crew ship's crew.

Also dang is it sloooow with both ships loaded.

Flying up resources to build resource storage facilities in orbit (~113 tons) - and moving it around the station, because.

Recycler is running as well - now all that is missing is a refinery and some more space to produce rocket parts.

t73dLEf.jpgR0AV0aG.jpgytTcbmj.jpgdMwusgo.jpg

Edited by KerbMav

3 hours ago, DeltaVerb said:

How could you use BRP? I could barely get my rocket made with BRP to 1km

it took about 10 tries after realizing how crappy it flies, but after some trial and errors i managed to barely make it there with no hope of returning lol

Made my first-ever video for the Mun Arch Challenge. I flew a Class D asteroid through one of the arches. Decided to go with the "music video" approach. I have new respect for anyone who does film or video editing. It was incredibly difficult and time-consuming just to make a 4 1/2 minute video. I'm really happy with the result though, and absurdly proud of myself. Hope you guys enjoy it.

23 hours ago, blorgon said:

Yeah, the hardest challenge of making this was that I wanted to minimize how video-gamey it looked, which meant minimizing how many closeups I used on the actual craft. I find it a little jarring going from this:

a56782dd1e.png

To this:

6403df3e42.png

Because that first example, while not photorealistic by any means, is quite... cinematic, whereas the second shot immediately reminds you you're looking at a video game. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I struggled with the idea of including closeups of the rover, because I didn't want it to look too gamey. The rover is actually moving in every scene but the last, during the Ike eclipse, but rovers move pretty dang slow so I guess it's pretty hard to tell.

You mean this scene?

111bac5773.png

That's my favorite scene too, although the color banding in the sky really really bothers me, lol.

over-saturating the film removes some of the gaminess

Working on my planned science mode campaign game still...  Ended up moving both the HG-5 and the DTS-M1 down into the start node, vastly increasing my choices in climbing the tree.  I'm also handicapping myself by only using the Universal Storage versions of Dmagic's instruments, as they typically appear a node higher in the tree.  I think I've got a handle on it now, the early stage is so important... 

With setup for the County Fair starting this weekend, and then the County Fair itself (I volunteer as a docent for the Photography display and assist with the Photography competition), plus my anime stuff...  I don't know when I'm going to be able to start though.

Had the absolutely weirdest situation ever in my hard career....

For some reason, probably installing and then removing contract configurator, 7 kerbal tourists decided to permanently take residence in the kerbonaut center.

They were totally absent from any mission, I tripple-checked, but were still taking slots! There is no option to dismiss them! I even sent four of them on typical route to the Mun and back. Nothing! They only leveled up...

So, I just, ... yeah. Nobody missed them afterwards, no penalties or anything.  RIP.... :(