What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just now, Kerbal101 said:

Had the absolutely weirdest situation ever in my hard career....

For some reason, probably installing and then removing contract configurator, 7 kerbal tourists decided to permanently take residence in the kerbonaut center.

They were totally absent from any mission, I tripple-checked, but were still taking slots! There is no option to dismiss them!

So, I just, ... yeah. Nobody missed them afterwards, no penalties or anything.  RIP.... :(

Hahaha!

Yeah, I guess they feel just like the Hobbits after their adventure, only instead of staring at gigantic pumpkins in depression they stay at the Prancing Pony wishing they were still adventurers.

RP-0 is crush my will, well Dev testing is.  My son is home and spouse training for the new school year. So i get plenty of time this week to test, making about 20-30 test launches a day

The crew is adding new features like tooling costs, maintenance and crew training along side the awesome new tech tree and heavy duty contract system

launched way too many nearly identical sounding rockets with minimized cost.

8JSEuwf.png

Edited by Bornholio

7 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

I returned back home after my 12 day vacation trip and started to play again. I added a second docking arm to my station.

OuxWpEZ.jpg

SQZEhUW.jpg

5ZWddW5.jpg

is that a soyuz rocket?

4 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Decided to muck about a bit  ( for a change honet ) an push my PC an KSP to the Limit an my limit is 2,000 parts .................dammit...........:mad:

Oh well , built a 1,00 Part ship an yer its stil laggy but it gets off the ground ^_^

lecwgu.png
5A8vsG.png
DP1ncE.png
xIHI47.png
bE9Si7.png
zQZCz0.png
YnCw6Q.png
C2795V.png
xPc23C.png
AnWUWq.png
JUAETU.png
D0sIDj.png
CZ6pXL.png
1qRXxj.png
Hkz3Qj.png
78qrS8.png
D6XtFT.png
7R7O5i.png
rzFNbR.png
vYaU7P.png
oKfNe2.png

mods...

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I made a new Kerman head for a character many of you've read about but have never seen... Dr. Edmund Kerman...

Jbcx5bb.png

MtcFyYt.png

he's quite old

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

I launched some more rockets to orbit of 4x scale Kerbin (well, atmospheres are only 1.5x as tall but everything else is 4x the usual size).

dXEtwrv.jpg

OUVWmfg.jpg

shenzhou?

7 minutes ago, Partperpart said:

I still can't get to the mun though (¬_¬) 

i have reached the mun orbit with the orion, and i bringed back all crew

anyhow here's what i did

9MukYl6.png

a soyuz

1 minute ago, Spaceman17 said:

shenzhou?

The spacecraft was Soyuz-inspired, but I hadn't even considered the Shenzhou spacecraft or the Long March rocket. The rocket pictured in my post is one of several variants, and it's quite an interesting coincidence that the one that was best suited to the mass of my Zephyr spacecraft is so similar in appearance to the Long March 2F rocket.

8 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

So, I just, ... yeah. Nobody missed them afterwards, no penalties or anything.  RIP.... :(

Heh, I've got a couple of these little buggers hanging around too, thanks for the... info. Be a real shame if something... happened to them. <_<

8 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I made a new Kerman head for a character many of you've read about but have never seen... Dr. Edmund Kerman...

Jbcx5bb.png

Edmund Kerman?

Should probably get those spots checked out. Might be something... serious...-_-

@Spaceman17 Please don't quote entire posts with multiple images, unless there's a specific reason. You can click in the quote box and pare them down to what's relevant to your reply, highlight only what you want to quote then click the 'quote' button that appears, or simply tag the user with @[username]. :)

6 hours ago, Spaceman17 said:

is that a soyuz rocket?

It looks like a Soyuz, but there are still some differences. It is a Hydro-Lox core with 2x LR-87-LH2 engines, which uses 4 soyuz boosters with E-1 engines instead of the RD-117s. The second stage is basiclly a centaur with 2x RL-10-A3 engines. It was made using Procedural Parts.

It is Year 57, day 4 of the Kerbal Space Age, and the Sixth Interplanetary Expedition has arrived at Eve - despite being hit by a Kraken.

6zzuEME.jpg

The Survey Orbiter separates from the mothership and assumes a polar orbit, scanning Eve for resources. It also doubles as a short-range relay and has a cabin for one kerbal - just in case, if someone needs rescuing again. 

rMJlnVE.jpg

Meanwhile, the Rover Deployment Package (unceremoniously torn off from the mothership by the Kraken) also entered the Eve SOI and is heading for a direct impact! 

aOtNDer.jpg

Last trajectory adjustments...

6Xh0fY4.jpg

Woohoo!

15uF2u7.jpg

It took four attempts to land the rover. The re-entry speed relative to surface was as high as 4750 m/s at times.

First attempt: at altitude ~56 km, the heat reaches over 3600 K, everything explodes. It appears that the 10 m shield is not invincible in 1.3 and has 3500 K heat threshold. Hurr.

Second Attempt: at ~36 km, the craft is subjected to heavy g forces as it slows down. Everything disintegrates as parts now have 50 g structural durability limit. Durr.

Third attempt: Shield and some other stuff explodes, but *most* of the rover manages to land and is controllable. Unfortunately, the exploded stuff includes the ladder and all the batteries! Derp. 

Fourth attempt, with some creative aerobraking, is successful and the rover lands intact.

phIc7Al.jpg

The target - Seeald Kerman, a stranded crew member of the Second Interplanetary Expedition - is mere 42 km away! As Kerbol (and our new polar relay) are rising over the horizon, the rover heads forward.

BkzmaJe.jpg

A hour later, Seeald and his gift from home are reunited.   

4q9zBYt.jpg

For the first time in 50 years, the poor castaway sees an object other than his suit and his flag, that is made by Kerbal hands and is not purple!!. Who said that being stranded on Eve is the end?

In Seeald's case, it's just the beginning.

Edited by Haruspex

11 minutes ago, Kosmonaut said:

Is that a Gemini Soyuz with a Long March launcher?

Cool

It is not at all. The spacecraft (my Zephyr spacecraft) is mostly Soyuz-inspired (and I used that capsule mostly for convenience), but the launch vehicle is one of several variants and I only realized it resembles the Long March rocket when someone pointed it out earlier. It's the only variant of that rocket which looks so similar to Long March, and it's just an odd coincidence that that was the variant which had the right payload capacity for my Zephyr spacecraft. The post with all of the rocket variants is here if you're curious; it's probably fairly clear from the Quicksilver 3 variants how I arrived at that particular rocket design.

Edited by eloquentJane

Highlights of my last week, in screenies...

OX2LUUE.png
Fireball 7 on her way back to Kerbin with Bob aboard, after a successful biome hopping science mission.

J8ytzjY.png
One of four Kerbal Tour Bus 2 craft that hauled a full load of passengers into Munar orbit and back, including two - one piloted by Jeb and the other by Val - that performed the first Munar rendezvous in my 1.3 save. All four returned to Kerbin safely.

RrI5eGg.png
Launch of Kerplunk 7, bound for Mun with Jeb, Bob and Bill aboard on an Apollo-style mission to dock and transfer crew over Mun.

PnbDbc8.png
A Bad Idea 2 surveyor plane heading back to the taxpayers. Val attempted to land the plane in the Highlands on a temperature survey - she was lucky to survive, and equally lucky to be able to complete the mission post-crash.

43 minutes ago, Julien Kerman said:

I adjusted one of my Voyager probes to intercept with Uranus....

.....and I designed 3 new Missions (Jupiter return project, a moon space station and a LEO station part delivery):

Each mission will launch on top of a Saturn V.

Well if you have to, but can I interest you in a visit to Oberon?  Its a lot less gassy and in the neighborhood.

15_uranusmoons_promo.jpg

Today I started a new world called "Electron", a Rockomax Design space company, that names its rockets after pure and non-pure elements.

Launch 01:
The Manned Orbit
Rocket: Helium 1 [H]
Orbit: 78,554km - 78,724km

Spoiler