What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It's Year 57, Day 46 of the Kerbal Space Age. The Sixth Interplanetary Expedition continues its mission on Eve.

xgsNyb2.jpg

The "Rescue Craft" - an ion scooter with four external seats - separates from the docking section of the mothership at its 54 megameter orbit and begins the maneuver to intercept the historic KSS Indomitable.

After some tedious burning, missing and burning again, the intercept is successful, and the probe core sends first pictures of the fabled flagship of the Second Interplanetary, still orbiting Eve after more than 50 years.

xNdrON1.jpg

The ship is fully intact and operational, but it was piloted manually by kerbal crew and lacks a decent probe core. The Comms Upgrade Package separates from the Rescue Craft and moves to attach itself to the Indomitable's side docking port.

A2mj6Ai.jpg

Now KSS Indomitable becomes a science and relay station. There is a possibility to actually refuel it and tow back to Kerbin, but for now, it will stay where it is. The last look at the ancient behemoth as the crew of four Kerbals prepares to evacuate.  

H79mrNh.jpg

The pilot is the last to abandon ship that was their home for five decades.

Fr4RUIm.jpg

Off to new adventures!

NMevKWr.jpg

Only by day 93 the crew of the Indomitable could finally reach the Sixth Interplanetary. The veterans take control of the expedition from now on.

The next task for the Rescue Craft is to pick up Megalla Kerman, an employee of the Reaction Systems LTD. who somehow got stranded in a retrograde, slightly inclined orbit. The Kraken got them on a flyby from Moho, or what?

Because our mothership is very high above Eve (54000 km) the plane change to retrograde and back ate less than 1500 units of xenon gas. Several days later, Megalla happily leaves her prison...

BgeyijP.jpg

...And joins the expedition! Just look at the smile on her face.

LcGNfwA.jpg

Kerbal Rescue Program. No one will be left behind.*

Edited by Haruspex

3 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

@Tyko Your rocket is kind of like a Mercury-Atlas, I like it. :)

Yea. I set out to do an atlas style drop. This turned out to work better. It's also scalable. I've built versions with 2,3 and 4 Thuds. 

Assembling this mining station in orbit around the Mun got annoying, so decided to do it in one go.  Anticipated this barely getting it to orbit, then sending up a tug to assemble it and haul it to the Mun, but looks like I got enough fuel left over to get me there.  (I have no idea, this game is more fun without math).  I was rather surprised I got it on the first shot.

4 Mammoths and 32 Vectors ready to go.

screenshot116.png

screenshot117.png

No Kerblosions on first stage.

screenshot118.png

screenshot119.png

Perfect second stage too.

screenshot120.png

It's kinda funny how the thrust graphics are always behind the fairing.

screenshot121.png

In orbit and undressed, plenty of fuel left over!

screenshot123.png

Mission to Eve

we will test out our fancy launch system ( AKA 2 boosters)

23905F926CD0367CBC3377C54E1F6D9E89F0AE24

our boosters basically throw us into space at epic speeds3CF6060F168132DE9A57711A6822827BBA1640CF

C9DB473DED28944A4E5DCD0CF2108BA5D170EBF2

side rockets decoupled

08C50D390D97CCA0314BF3553528627E98850489

orbit set

A879AD9B1574EDBAA1334D16299023A4525D35CF

we finally arrive

F97767E1E3DB8767235CCF0357385F771C770A4F

engine and tank decouple

6ACEFB109E90E2BC0786751978C509B6DFA212BD

we barely make it burning down almost  all the fuel to make orbit

6F336F81C6BAFA963FC0579E58B582A42FA983DF

coming in we blow up 2 of the science gears

B1D7642495EA16757C64DC41286EA86FEDC5E0BA

and of course with all that land we land in the water :/

BC71D92CF5209D10A4D3E73AC1F26EDD785E3FEB

Just now, qzgy said:

So.... any plans on getting it back?

PFFT Eve can keep that pile of  junk plus i have over 90 mil in funds i think i can take the loss

but its not really a loss because i made a profit on the mission. i usually throw away all probe missions when done

I can hardlyu keep 1 mil funds. Trying to do a rescue retrograde orbit has eaten up a lot of my Funds. But, anyways. Captured another roid that entered Kerbin's SOI here is the pic of where it was going to intercept:

5A760754EE00A784D8108EBE5A1431E653FC31DE

Tomorrow's happy 2 hour tour. I'll be docking a craft to a station that has a class B or was it C roid? attached. Might record it will doing the tour... I'll try and remember to take pictures if I don't record and upload it.

1 hour ago, Aragosnat said:

I can hardlyu keep 1 mil funds. Trying to do a rescue retrograde orbit has eaten up a lot of my Funds. But, anyways. Captured another roid that entered Kerbin's SOI here is the pic of where it was going to intercept:

5A760754EE00A784D8108EBE5A1431E653FC31DE

Tomorrow's happy 2 hour tour. I'll be docking a craft to a station that has a class B or was it C roid? attached. Might record it will doing the tour... I'll try and remember to take pictures if I don't record and upload it.

2 easy ways to make money

1. a first stage that can land back at the space center so you can collect 99% of the money back

2. space stations.......build them so they can land back at the space center, complete the contract, then land it and collect all your money back.

and if you are cheap like me you build every mission with the least amount of parts

This is my first experience with any type of visual enhancement mods (Scatterer+EVE+RSVE and maybe a few others). (Also in RO/RP-0)

I don't care that my game runs half the speed it used to in an already laggy Realism Overhaul installation.

This is so... Awesome isn't a good enough word!

Xy5qvhZ.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CLOUDS!
uN2n9Tf.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SUNSET!

5UO7L3G.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CITY LIGHTS!

EmdNya3.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT'S ACTUALLY EARTH!

Xl9SQEP.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE SUN!!!!!!

55S8JhO.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never look at stock the same way again.

Made a large cargo craft That drives over a little rover and puts down a winch. Then winds the rover up into the cargo-bay. Secures it and Flies to the island, Drops it off and flys back. It's so I can refuel aircraft on that island like a little airport with ground teams that load and unload kerbals and fuel.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Big things. Laggy Things. Same thing really.

fYNlFOV.png

@Speeding Mullet - I believe this may be stronger than anything in the Shuttle Challenge, yeah?

That's... That's... That's...

I no longer believe my spaceships are big.

That thing dwarfs even the launch vehicle for Laythe Station Brotoro, my largest functional stock rocket!

AO1lkSs.png

Also:

PJDMdOI.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

That's... That's... That's...

I no longer believe my spaceships are big.

That thing dwarfs even the launch vehicle for Laythe Station Brotoro, my largest functional stock rocket!

Well.... Truth be told, my game lags so hard, I haven't even determined whether it is functional.

You should actually check out Stratzenblitz's Eeloo video. That might be even bigger than mine!

Edit: Aaannd my game crash. Not gonna do much now. Maybe have to lower graphics settings more.

Edit No.2 - IT WORKS IT WORKS!

szBDW3q.png

After uninstalling graphics mods, turning down settings, and baby sitting the ascent, it managed to get into orbit utilizing lots of mammoths, vectors, and 16 rhinos on the actual shuttle, it got into orbit. I don't think its very practical, unless I can find a way to significantly reduce lag.

Reentry - Didn't work as well....

DefeIVZ.png

Edited by qzgy

Redesigned and rebuilt a series of lifters...  then went a performed a mid course correction and an orbit-and-landing with craft launched by their predecessors. And realized I'd made the exact same conceptual error on each and every one of the the new lifters.   One that can't be fixed without starting the redesign/rebuild procedure from scratch.