What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I had a surge of inspiration and decided to go back to the game. I started a new save, fully stock except Final Frontier and NavyFish's docking alignment indicator, because every time I want to go back to the game I have to update all my mods and it gets very tiresome. Put a basic Stayputnik sat into orbit, and even wrote a little AAR about it that I may or may not keep up with and post here if the motivation keeps hitting.

Sent an upgraded science mission to Minmus; spent a few hours in orbit taking crew reports and temperature readings. I kicked off the booster and sent Bob into the lander - only to realize once he undocked that the lander didn't come equipped with a probe core or Mechjeb.

Well....needs must. :wink:

7B0C160B0886953380E1130E547C8DC2F62BF7CF

Edited by NorthernDevo
posting an image

Today, I didn't do much KSP. I just got CKAN and downloaded ALL THE MODS. If not all of them, a significant amount/

I usually play stock. Trying out a modded game, just for fun. Oh, and also 6.4x scale.

Edit: CKAN seems to have stopped downloading for some reason....

Edited by qzgy

26 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Today, I didn't do much KSP. I just got CKAN and downloaded ALL THE MODS. If not all of them, a significant amount/

I usually play stock. Trying out a modded game, just for fun. Oh, and also 6.4x scale.

Edit: CKAN seems to have stopped downloading for some reason....

spacedock.info is down atm, give it some time and it'll come back online

12 hours ago, Randox said:

I also learned that the TR-2C Stack Separator that is just barely visible, sandwiched between two junior docking ports, is not actually strong enough to separate said docking ports (at least, not using default force levels). Instead, the relays had to free themselves via the very Kerbal method of using SAS to roll forward so they can use the relay dish as a lever to get the docking ports out of range (for clarity, the docking port magnets were so strong that after blowing the explosive bolts the separator just got stuck between the two docking ports as they tried to mate with each other).

I just dock them in the VAB and undock them in orbit, they seperate pretty-as-you-please.  Though in your situation, I'd have used radial mounting points with separators or (most likely) a radial decoupler.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I usually play stock. Trying out a modded game, just for fun. Oh, and also 6.4x scale

One of us! One of us!

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

Edit: CKAN seems to have stopped downloading for some reason..

Yeah, because you killed it. :wink:

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I just got CKAN and downloaded ALL THE MODS.

!

3 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

spacedock.info is down atm, give it some time and it'll come back online

No, @qzgy killed it.

That explains why I couldn't download Editor Extensions, tho...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

13 hours ago, Alpha_Mike_741 said:

After months of frustration and almost shift+deleting my KSP install i finally DID IT! F9 IS BACK HOME!

"This is LZ-1 on countdown net , The falcon has landed!"

Cool! Very well done. I know how it feels. Glad you kept it up. RTLS is very rewarding in KSP, right?

I'm not in the habit of making ordinary planes, and I certainly don't often make replicas of planes. But when I saw the new Near Future parts, I had to try this out:

dfv4FMq.jpg

This is I think the 10th or 11th iteration, and it's the first one which can actually get off the ground. But it does sort of fly at least.

EDIT: looking at this again and comparing it to images of the actual plane, I'm realizing that the Mk3 cockpit is disproportionately large. I'll have to have a look to see what the options are for smaller ones.

Edited by eloquentJane

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

One of us! One of us!

Yeah, because you killed it. :wink:

I did manage to un-kill it. Now my game is taking about two years to load into the KSC in a new save. Normal behavior for 172 mods?

Edited by qzgy

7 hours ago, SupperRobin6394 said:

@CatastrophicFailure's name describes my 'what did you do in KSP today' perfectly...

You have no idea.  <_< :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

I did manage to un-kill it. Now my game is taking about two years to load into the KSC in a new save. Normal behavior for 172 mods?

Yup. -_-

Now just wait till you start a new stock game on your wife's laptop to muck about with while your main game loads.  ^_^

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Now just wait till you start a new stock game on your wife's laptop to muck about with while your main game loads.  ^_^

2 hours and counting....

32 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Erm... :wacko:

then you may have broken more than just Spacedock...

Oh. Oops.

Killed it at 3 hours.

Considering your experience with massive mod lists, do you mind helping me or something (PM)?

Damn, I think I know the problem. Missing SigmaDimensions....

Edited by qzgy

I decided to do an easy mission and go scan Minmus for a laugh, mostly because I wanted to work on rover design. It's obviously been a while since I did something like this or I would have remembered that the only reason you drive a rover on Minmus is because you hate yourself. What a nightmare.

LfS4xEK.png

The rover is quite back heavy, which is on me; that's a legitimate design flaw. In my defence, it drove like a dream on Kerbin. On Minmus, I had to disable the rear motors to prevent the thing from just flipping onto it's back, and as it is keeping traction on the front wheels is an issue. It also stops like a freight train, but that's mostly a gravity issue. I think it would be happier on the Mun all things considered, even if that is pretty pointless (Minmus is the only body on which I would consider mining).

Given the balance issue, I think I would retune the suspension though. I loosened the springs up for Minmus, but given the propensity for loosing front traction I think it needs a fairly stiff rear end to hold it stable if it does a wheelie. The rearward balance is also an admitted boon for braking. I had to bias the brakes quite hard to the back since despite the imbalance, the rover has proved quite capable of doing a stoppie when using brakes and reverse motors. Anyway, I plan on either moving this one to the Mun, or just putting it back in orbit and sending out a new one for giggles. These missions do have an end goal; I have every intent of sending these scanner/rover vehicles to some other moons once the launch windows come up.

11 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

I just dock them in the VAB and undock them in orbit, they seperate pretty-as-you-please.  Though in your situation, I'd have used radial mounting points with separators or (most likely) a radial decoupler.

Yeah. Normally I would have them docked too, but I wanted that extra seperation to make sure there would be no cliping at the time of seperation. I've never used a separator before, and was worried about excessive decoupling force messing up the orbits, not about the seperator totally failing to do its job :D