What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

almost Kerbal sized

Kerbal Height. Needs to be miniaturized quite a lot to be kerbal sized. (Taking the same amount of volume as one kerbal.)

Just now, qzgy said:

Kerbal Height. Needs to be miniaturized quite a lot to be kerbal sized. (Taking the same amount of volume as one kerbal.)

Picky picky picky...... :P  :D 

6 hours ago, GDJ said:

........Meh, you're not that annoying.:wink:

Is that a challenge? :P

In other news, with guiding help from @CatastrophicFailure, managed to get a Rescaled solar system.

pj87jaK.png

The KSC is tiny!

Then loaded about 100 mods on. Started a career save and crashed not even within half an hour!

Edited by qzgy

Well, once again I've gone a full week without posting anything on this thread. Time flies when you're bored off your backside at work, I guess. Haven't got a lot of screenies for all that time either, so maybe I'll just give y'all the highlights.

On Wednesday, my day began with the arrival of the Old Bessie 7 refueling lander at Mun. The lander successfully arrived at the Munport space station and delivered its launch payload of fuel (both monoprop and biprop) to the Spamcan 7 rescue ship, Strange Cargo and Necessary Evil docked at the station. A Hellhound 7 rover arrived at Mun and landed safely in the Highlands near the southern pole, taking temperature reading at Valentina's hill for contract. The Spamcan 7b crew lander arrived at Mun and was docked to Munport successfully, and then the Leeroy Jenkins 7 rescue craft arrived on a mission to pluck scientist Zelwin Kerman out of a near-polar orbit, Zelwin having had to bail out of his Fireball 7a science lander when it ran out of gas and using his jetpack thrusters to finish orbit on his own. 

M8bu0Ml.png
Leeroy Jenkins 7. If you look just below the crater on the left-hand side of the crater on the right side of the screenie, you can make out Zelwin's helmet.

Jenkins successfully rendezvoused and picked up Zelwin, who placed half of the experiments he had retreived from Fireball 7a in the storage container above the flight pod, boarded and promptly used the onboard space toilet. Two days is a long time to hold it...

Jenkins then returned safely to Kerbin, Zelwin securing 2450 points of science for the Program for all his trouble. As much as that was, he was 122 short of having enough to unlock Ion Propulsion, which was the last node I needed to unlock to max out my tech tree. I was able to earn a quick 67 from running around KSC in a Scimobile for atmospheric analysis and gravioli readings, leaving me 55 short. A quick review of the science gathered in the system up to that point revealed that I hadn't taken gravioli or seismic readings for the Munar Highlands, and the Hellhound 7 rover I had landed at Valentina's Hill just happened to have both instruments aboard along with an overpowered antenna (an 88-88 - which in my defense, was a feature added in v. 0.19 when antennas were mainly just there to look cool). I had the rover take the readings and transmit them, which was a little hairy since the Hellhound rover's main design flaw is insufficient battery storage. But I did get the science transmitted, and it was just enough for me to finish up my tech tree. The day ended with the landing of engineers Magster, Theony and Eriemy Kerman at the Piper Alpha refinery (along with tourist Rolan Kerman) to begin refueling operations there.

And that was last Wednesday.

Thursday saw the launch of the Kerbinport space station, which was put into a 100x100 orbit with negligible inclination, as well as the pier extension so that the Auk series spaceplanes could safely dock there. Magster Kerman transferred over to Piper Alpha and proceeded to refuel the outpost's fuel stores, while Theony and Eriemy planted flags and then returned with Rolan to Munport aboard the Spamcan 7b lander. Spamcan 7b was refueled and her passengers were swapped out for tourists Wenburry, Chrisnic, Matt and Bobdock Kerman. Old Bessie then proceeded to Piper Alpha for her first refueling op:

VbO0tOX.png
Old Bessie nearing landing at Piper Alpha, with a Hellhound rover (upper left) also visible.

Old Bessie set down within in range of the refinery. Magster performed the KAS cable hookup and fuel was transferred to Old Bessie, which began her ascent as Spamcan 7b departed for the surface with her tourists. Spamcan touched down safely, then returned and both landers successfully returned to the station. With Strange Cargo and Necessary Evil both refueled, all Kerbals on the station returned to one of these two craft. Engineer Dilnard Kerman, a rescuee at Mun who had been transferred to the station, took Magster's seat aboard Necessary Evil for the return trip to Kerman. Strange Cargo departed one hour later, and both craft made it safely to Kerbinport. Thursday ended with the safe return of Bob Kerman from his failed science mission to Mun and subsequent Kraken-induced 24-day detour.

Friday saw the beginning of spaceplane operations to retreive folks from Kerbinport. An Auk VII heavy passenger plane was sent up and the passengers of Strange Cargo and Necessary Evil were transferred to the plane, which arrived safely despite me forgetting what action groups did what and accidentally breaking off the plane's solar panels at takeoff. The plane was able to return safely to KSC 09 safely anyway, clearing cleared five contracts in the process for over √1M and paving the way for me to launch additional infrastructure throughout Kerbin's system - a Jiffy Lube parts delivery lander to Mun, the Deepwater Horizon refinery for Minmus and both a Hellhound 7 and Old Bessie 7 lander, also for Minmus. After picking up new contracts, I reviewed the action groups of the Auk series and went ahead and add ejection capabilities (thanks to the EVA Parachutes mod) to the passenger-rated Auks as well as surface lights (thanks to the mod of the same name) to shine on their docking ports. Eriemy conducted a parts hauling mission aboard a Bad Idea III surveying plane that went foul and she had to bail out, successfully completing the mission but netting almost no funds due to the loss of her craft. The day ended with the launch of a Bill Clinton 7b grabber probe on a junk-and-Kerbal mission over Mun, picking up pilot Gilvin Kerman from Munar orbit.

Didn't do a whole lot over the weekend. I sent up an Auk II passenger plane to Kerbinport, delivering Eriemy and Dilnard along with tourists Jebfrid, Isaton, Henory and Lucan Kerman to Strange Cargo along with scientists Zelwin and Gillie Kerman. Strange Cargo then departed for Minmus. I had a garbage collection mission on the Munar surface (which I strongly suspect to be a Mk1 Cockpit) and after much debate, I designed and launched the Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout 7 garbage collection lander (bonus points to those who get the reference) towards Mun. I also launched a Spamcan 7a passenger lander to Minmus.

gkGAaij.png
Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout 7 approaching Munport with Kerbin in the background.

Yesterday, with me starting to run low on funds for new launches, I warped ahead to the arrival of the first White Noise 7 comm relay satellite for Minmus, which I dubbed Minmuscomm Alpha. The probe was put into its final disposition and the next relay, Minmuscomm Baker, then arrived and was also put into position. Gilvin Kerman was successfully rescued from Mun and the replacement contract was an outpost contract for Ike, the first Duna-related contract I've taken for this version; it put me back up over √1M again. A Spamcan 7 rescue craft arrived at Minmus was placed in an equatorial orbit in anticipation of the arrival of the Minmusport space station, which was about the end of my successful operations yesterday - I spent so much time getting Minmuscomm Baker aligned that I almost forgot to put Next Objective, which had arrived at Minmus about half-an-hour after Minmuscomm Baker, into orbit. Had to settle for putting Next Objective into a high polar orbit with the intent of getting it onto an equatorial orbit later on. Minmusport finally also arrived on a polar inclination and my ill-conceived attempt to get it to align with the equator left me without fuel to put it into orbit, so I put it on an impact trajectory instead...which probably makes it the largest impactor I've ever built (not necessarily the most expensive, though). A replacement was launched and due to the location of the transfer burn, it will arrive at Minmus is just under six days (my trips out there usually take twelve, so I consider this serendipitous under the circumstances). Next Objective did get into a low equatorial orbit over Minmus successfully using the Spamcan as a target, and the SCSS 7 made it to Munport safely - it just needs a crew now to conduct her litter-gathering mission. After the arrival of Minmuscomm Charlie and the finagling of its orbit into final position (completing the comm relay system at Minmus) and an annoying end to a mission to put a satellite in a tundra orbit over Minmus (failed because it needed to have a gravioli detector and seismometer aboard, and had neither), I ended my day by launching a Jiffy Lube lander towards Minmus. It'll be four days before anything else Minmus-related happens in game, operations that will probably happen later today.

TL - DR: This past week I launched a bunch of stuff and no Kerbals died. Maxed out my tech tree, which is pretty cool. Rammed a space station into Minmus.

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Now for the culture shock: "I need how much rocket just to get to orbit?!?" :wacko:

Also found out that KER is crap at giving a proper TWR ratio.

And that the game is super crashy!

Boy modded is fun.

Edited by qzgy

20 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Also found out that KER is crap at giving a proper TWR ratio.

And that the game is super crashy!

To the first, I'd say "make sure you're in atmospheric mode when using KER in the VAB." A long, long time ago, I used to go with the non-atmospheric rating and wind up with rockets that had the approximate lifting power of a cockroach fart. One of those "is your computer plugged in" types of deals. Not saying that's what you're doing, just something to check.

To the second, I'd say "yep..."

4 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

To the first, I'd say "make sure you're in atmospheric mode when using KER in the VAB." A long, long time ago, I used to go with the non-atmospheric rating and wind up with rockets that had the approximate lifting power of a cockroach fart. One of those "is your computer plugged in" types of deals. Not saying that's what you're doing, just something to check.

To the second, I'd say "yep..."

To the first. Oh oops. Didn't check that. And with it on, it was fine. :blush:

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

You may be running up against that dreaded memory limit, now. Lots of mods will eat up 8 gigs real fast. 

That, and I'm using the equally memory hungry Firefox.

KSP with about 100 mods or something, sitting at around 2 gigs.

More departures and arrivals. My orbital fuel depot has arrived at Moho.

7BLnzTE.png

It's also received its first shipment of fuel from Moho's mining outpost, but that shipment consisted entirely of LiquidFuel to refuel the tug so I can't land the rover just yet (since its landing rocket needs oxidizer.)

Another Duna transfer window arrived, so I've sent off another mission to build more infrastructure there.

dcMLdOB.jpg

W53DFm3.jpg

One ship is carrying a mining base to be deposited on Duna's surface while the other has some critical parts for Duna Station. The second ship also includes a full replacement crew for both the Duna and Ike operations as well as a passenger module to allow the existing crew to return home.

Finally, I've sent LaythePort on its way to Jool.

bVekUax.png

This one consists of two major components: a mining base for Laythe's surface and a "docking assembly" that said base will link up with. The docking assembly is essentially a collection of Klaws at various heights which will allow a fleet of SSTOs, atmospheric planes and watercraft to link up for refuelling. The docking assembly will go down first and then the mine will link up with it, with the mine having some detachable motorized wheels that will allow it to get into position. With the Eve landing and return complete, this is the last part of my overall plans for this KSP career that has me worried for its success, since while I've tested this process on Kerbin's surface those tests all occurred on the runway at the KSC and I don't know how things will go on Laythe's more uneven terrain. Still, having a surface base on Laythe that can sustain SSTO operations will be worth the trouble.

No crew on this mission, though. I'd initially planned on including crew with the LaythePort, as with surface and orbital bases on both Laythe and Pol that crew would finally have enough to do to justify the long trip, but given the number of things that could go wrong on any of the currently-in-transit missions I've decided to delay crew launches until the next transfer window. By then Project Foothold will have arrived at Pol and if that mission goes successfully then I'll at least have a reliable fuel source in the Jool system that will allow my crew to return home if the rest of the missions go badly.

Playing with KerbinSide GAP, doing a night flight from KSC to KSC2.  I was kind of zoned out because it's a 30 minute flight at 5000m, so I check in and out every couple of minutes.  I check on proceedings with 17 minutes to go when suddenly the city lights from EVE disappear.  I have about 1 second to go "wait, what?" before smacking face-first into a mountain.  Definitely not one of my finest moments.

Edited by Razor235

Not much today. Still getting ready for my first Eve encounter as well as reading moar craft to send to Duna. Also a chance encounter I noticed a unknow road and it looked like it was in Kerbin's SOI. It was and even moar important. Was close-ish to Minmus so I did this: 9CA547A187FCEACA41F3544A7F9CD17736DB1565

I've been working on remodeling my old 3.75m tanks from DSEV, and I got the gray variant and white variant done.

Here you can see the gray variant, which matches my D2 crew parts:

AGHPBVP.png

Here is the white variant, with the stock 3.75m tanks on the left for reference:

vEmMoFA.png

Finally, WIP of the big orange texture variant, with the original models on the left:

UfwPrLa.png

Finally got the rough texture where I like it. :)

Edited by Angel-125

RZgMrzm.png

I drove a rover underneath a Mun Arch at night.

I also had Bob plant a flag on the highest point of the arch so I could get rid of my KerbNet waypoint for it.

Better pictures of the rover in question:

Spoiler

This is the Indestructo-Rover Mark Two (IDR Mk2) buttoned up for travel.hYmNo4G.png

And this is what the internals look like.

IxmcxM3.png

The rover is symmetric with the exception of the probe core in the center. This means that if I want to turn around, I can change which cockpit is in control and swap the steering from one end to the other. Using plane parts means that I can cruise along at 35m/s without any trouble. At least, until I run off the edge of a crater that I wasn't expecting. The two inline docking ports allow a skycrane to latch on and return it to orbit for redeployment. Eventually I'm going to build a skycrane that can return the rover intact to the surface of Kerbin, but I've got a few more Munar biomes to collect science for before then.