What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally started to get a bit of a hang on things and unlocked a bunch of good stuff. It was either a male scientist or female pilot that flew this actual flying science plane a few times now and brought back flying and splashed science.... they even did an EVA report while flying and the plane had no probe core. Which totally did not include incidents where the crewman lost their grip and were flung over the plane's back. For VTOL it has an inline VTOL engine from Mk2 Expansion and at the moment, a bunch of Buffalo rover wheels.

rPIhU3K.jpg

uu2bB0e.jpg

Later on the first comsat was launched to a puny 220km orbit, after a great deal of timewarping, finding that the wrong version of the craft was integrated, and timewarping with the correct version. Even after sufficient correction efforts and time wastage investment, the probe core's SAS broke near instantly before the upper stage separated to deorbit itself.

Today I learned of Wild Blue's SolidFuel SRMFuel resource and gave it a try, and used fairings for nose cones... and packed some upper stage classic SRBs for epic ulage for pure giggles.

k9qKwrE.jpg

cEMVC7W.jpg

GJgfyFP.jpg

Yesterday i saw this thread:

And downloaded some crafts. Today i tried to launch the 'Skylab' research station. What the result? Well... here:

Spoiler

1st launch

1st launch

2nd launch

2nd launch

I absolutely shocked. I have no idea what is going with this rocket.

2 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

It appears that a few solar panels are breaking off in the 2nd picture. Try and see whether anything is clipping into the fairing.

Solar panels doesn't matter. I think this craft is broken in current version of KSP. How a structural failure has occurred?

UPgbz44.png

12 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

There's a problem with one of the I-beams connected to whatever is inside the fairing. A structural fuselage. Maybe try getting rid of that?

It seems like that I-beam starts a chain reaction of failures.

Wow... I feel that i'm an idiot. It no longer explodes. That I-beams wasn't simply I-beams, they're definitely destroyers of a space stations.

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm hoping this doesn't become a problem for me. In fact I'm hoping for lots of science to earn and to spend.

Today I finally started my science playthrough in GPP 2.5x. It's worth noting that I have MOLE installed instead of DMagic Orbital Science, which should open a floodgate of science for me, plus Kerbal Environmental Institute and Science - Full Reward, and science at 100%. The thing is, I have BARIS installed, and in Science mode, the Test Bench feature consumes science to raise part reliability quickly. Every launch of this little plane so far (about 5 launches) it has fallen apart and I've accepted the death of one scientist. I've opened about 10 tech tree nodes pretty quickly but I haven't begun to spend enough science to keep these Junos from jamming and threatening valuable Gaelean lives.

I'm in for some SERIOUS trouble when I make a plane that's actually supposed to fly (or at least has wheels with brakes). :D 

I've added some advanced tech mods, that I won't even use (because I'm too stupid to figure them out), only to have my tree expanded so I'll have something to spend my science on. One trip to Moho with DMagic mods, beamed to, and processed by, an orbital lab would easily yield 10,000 science.

20 hours ago, Khorso said:

What a cool idea!! I am going to copy this - I like the novelty of it :) Great way to see more of Kerbin! Did you hack science to build the vehicles?

I wanted to do this. I tried airplanes but I suck at flying. I tried VTOL mod, but it was too complex. Boats don't appeal to me. So I just used standard landers (command modules dropped from orbit), but didn't like that either, it felt weird. I gave up. I hope you'll succeed and have fun while doing this.

27 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

I've added some advanced tech mods, that I won't even use (because I'm too stupid to figure them out), only to have my tree expanded so I'll have something to spend my science on. One trip to Moho with DMagic mods, beamed to, and processed by, an orbital lab would easily yield 10,000 science.

I wanted to do this. I tried airplanes but I suck at flying. I tried VTOL mod, but it was too complex. Boats don't appeal to me. So I just used standard landers (command modules dropped from orbit), but didn't like that either, it felt weird. I gave up. I hope you'll succeed and have fun while doing this.

I have a few useful things spread out to all corners of the tech tree, including the highest node. I'm kinda surprised that such a haul is so easy. But I'm still a newb player. :P 

Airplanes are cool and easy. You're missing out. :D But I share the sentiment about VTOLs and even the TCA mod. VTOLs are hard.

20 hours ago, Khorso said:

What a cool idea!! I am going to copy this - I like the novelty of it :) Great way to see more of Kerbin! Did you hack science to build the vehicles?

I started with a fair bit of science and maximum funds, since the ship itself costs something like 500k to launch.  I also use the cheat menu to set my facilities to Maximum (fully upgraded VAB, SPH, etc).  I actually ended up doing a Career game instead of a Science game, simply because I like the contract system.  Gives me random goals to shoot for when I run out of self-goals.  :)

I did have to use TweakScale to be able to get it to the water (via very very large wheels mounted to decouplers).

In true Kerbal fashion, I've spent more time fiddling with it in the SPH than I have piloting it thru the oceans.  So far, at least.  :P

Edited by Slam_Jones

installed a mod to make all stock parts have better visuals, the mod broke my game and deleted everything on me. not sure why really. but thankfully  i had a save file from about 5 days ago and used that to get all my stuff back minus some missions i did.

so then i had to fly back to sarnus with my 6  crew members and land on the moons, do flags,  science, so valentina would have her orange  spacesuit i just recently earned.

lesson learned

but hey i got to play KPS so how bad could it really have been AMIRITE?

My new engine: stock two-stroke V4 with double overhead camshaft, working clutch and two speed gearbox. A lot can be improved like valve timing and the gearbox. It doesn't like high RPM at the moment, currently it breaks above 11 rad/s. But ... it does deliver torque.

Why not a V8? Part count. What you see here is ~560 parts.

I hope to give it a big rear wheel and see if it will go.

In the animation below you'll see the new clutch mechanism working. When the vehicle is ready, there won't be need to switch focus, all controls can be done from "root".

Edited by Azimech

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

My new engine: stock two-stroke V4 with double overhead camshaft, working clutch and two speed gearbox. A lot can be improved like valve timing and the gearbox. It doesn't like high RPM at the moment, currently it breaks above 11 rad/s. But ... it does deliver torque.

In the animation below you'll see the new clutch mechanism working. When the vehicle is ready, there won't be need to switch focus, all controls can be done from "root".

witch craft

Huge colonization mission. 

Four ships inbound.

36922728106_3cdd474def_b.jpg

First ship arriving

36275980864_969852b9a6_b.jpg

First touch down.

36275994494_d87c0f0340_b.jpg

Took a little thinking out the box to flip my inflatables right side up.

37111297755_978d46c92c_b.jpg

Main ship arriving. Unfortunately, the ship wasnt carrying enough fuel to stop the vessel and seven kerbals were forced to evacuate via the Dragon v2 pod leaving for kerbals lost in space. Fun rescue mission!

36969902781_58685b4eec_b.jpg

Overall the mission was a success. I was unable to land the ISRU unit and long term habitat module close enough to the base. I was able to convert one of the inflatables to a habitat for a short term mitigation of the issue.

36298707413_525a921979_b.jpg

Today, I did a test flight for an apollo mun mission. I found that the lander has some problems, the descent stage needs more fuel and the rover storage space turned out to be a kracken drive. Also, the legs need to be lower down.  The next step is to fix it, relaunch the mission, and take pictures.

16 hours ago, Azimech said:

Just... freaking... wow, dude.