What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just finished my new work. 

My modded solar powered electric propeller plane for one kerbal in a relax and comfortable recumbent open cabin seat. This version is for Duna and the version for Eve and Kerbin work flawlessly. This one however always bounces upon the terrain. This is a difficulty for most duna things but whatever spring and dampener are set at it jumps all around on touchdown, only on Duna.

It's only like 700kg with the Kerbal inside. Most of that weight are the engines with the gear underneath. I thought that was a good thing? I'm gonna do more testing to see what's best, maybe someone here has some good advice.

Here's takeoff.

spnaNtB.jpg?1

ZmhdBqU.jpg

All the way to 22 degrees AoA and the Kerbal will still have his equal amount of blood flowing to his feet :sticktongue:

zJF2iA9.jpg

Bill, who hasn't introduced himself upon now seems to enjoy the ride joyfully.

tlwUrr0.jpg

GRaAWzK.jpg

Is it just me or does this fellow look unconscious or just out of it?

elNN0hm.png

Bill decided to land in his seemingly altered state but did well and managed under 39 m/s touchdown with about 0.5m of decent rate per secon

P0VeNk7.png

Holy x tards and the mother of kinetic repulsion what is this place?

euWtQio.jpg

[In a balancing act for upright or upside down]

D7j3Nm4.jpg

Yahahaha, you may guess which side it will fall? And what happens...

4cvCFdR.jpg

Hows grey smoke being generated? It is a solar powered aircraft...

xnKMLoZ.jpg

Electric planes don't explode in combustion. So someone must have rigged bills plane with a bomb. Maybe it's just tampered with it and you guys can't help me. What a shame..

Nice pictures everyone:wink:

Edited by Helmetman

I think I'm finally getting pretty good...
I mean, decent, at this game.
After initial burn for Jool I managed to get a capture using only few units of fuel in two short burns, in less than three hours after first one. Now I have 5km/s of delta-vee for exploration, not bad methinks.

tii5bDv.jpg

So I decided to do a "mini-Cassini" mission in RO/RP-0.

Unfortunately, this poses a few problems:

1. This will be the first in a series of up to 10 probes and is testing out brand new hardware. Likelihood of failure is really high.
  2. I don't have the patience for gravity assists so this will be a direct mission.
  3. I'm already regretting saying #2 because according to one Delta-V map I'll need nearly 15 kilometers per second of Delta-V once I'm in orbit.
  4. The lifter I'm using can only put 60t into LEO. If I fly perfectly, 63-65 might be possible.
  5. The probe, Mini Cassini, is already 1.9-ish tons (granted, with 2km/s of fuel onboard) without a Huygens.
  6. It is rocket science.
  7. My game just crashed while I was writing this.
  8. I have to spend 15 minutes loading KSP again.
  9. That will probably happen five more times before I'm done.

Well, wish me luck, I guess.

EDIT: I used a satellite in orbit and placed a bunch of maneuver nodes (for planning only) and as it turns out, it's doable in thirteen km/s. However, with my 63t limit, I can only fit in 11.7 (12 if I make an unwieldy 4th stage). So close! Grr! At this point, I'm going to either A: completely redesign the lifter so it will be able to lift closer to 100t and carry a Huygens replica as well, or B: add some SRB's and extend the second stage of the lifter so that it will have 1km/s left in the second stage to complete the escape burn.

Part of me doesn't feel comfortable with the small margins, though. Ideally, I would have 14km/s because I know I'll make mistakes.

Also I forgot the ullage RCS... more extra mass! Yay!

Edited by Ultimate Steve

I made a flying submarine that works on Laythe!

8lSlm6l.jpgraCRiVX.jpg

This thing can land on the water, dive, and take off from the ocean with no problem. Landing on land is a different thing... at least with a full ore ballast tank.

It's stock, but I used TakeCommand and Hyperedit to get it to Laythe (I want to do an actual mission later) and I might add some lights and science stuff.

The only part that isn't visible in the images is a small battery to power the small reaction wheel.

Made a true space ship (yes this is the reddit challenge) by grafting a battleship I had (deweaponized of course stupid treaties) on top of a giant booster. The idea is to get it to laythe. Hard to when its an absolute slideshow. I mean, like, the launcher itself is ~1800 parts. Ends up being more seconds per fram rather than frames per second. Actually worked fairly well though.

PBDX90J.png

S8cMCqO.png

Edited by qzgy

I managed once again to drop something (intact) on the VAB. Jebediah safely returns from covert ops in a very clearly "prototype" lander.

khtpnkh.jpg

ZxCWuAr.jpg

I also went chasing orbital debris (2 abandoned oranges) with spaceplans. The first one was suborbital so I kept pace with it (for some amount) through the atmosphere. I stayed around long enough that it became bound to crash into Kerbin while on rails.

The second one I caught and brought back down with the same spaceplane that sent them up. Debris hunting was an amusing and worthwhile exercise after spending all day perfecting some new custom parts for myself. Valentina got to have fun and do something serious, as did Jeb. This particular plane will hopefully have a lot to do in 2.5x GPP.

YAAJ2so.jpg

Z672bCC.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

S8cMCqO.png

What's taking a hunk out of Kerbin, there?

12 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I managed once again to drop something (intact) on the VAB. Jebediah safely returns from covert ops in a very clearly "prototype" lander.

khtpnkh.jpg

Are those the old-style KAS containers? New skin? Details, man!

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Are those the old-style KAS containers? New skin? Details, man!

You know that crap that keeps going around about a weather balloon and swamp gas? Well, there's more of that. So say cheese.

rQZFg.jpg

Spoiler

Seriously, though. T'is a secret. All knowledge shall come soon™. But the containers are ZZZ boxes.... A KIS box may be nice to have, as you mention it.

I revisited old mods and decided to make a small aircraft exhibition, with a theme of WW2 aircraft (Over-engineered and kerbalized of course :P, either by adding ginormous engine, stick a lot of intakes, add more liquid-fueled thrusters for MOAR POWER, or upscaled them into even bigger than their real life counterpart)

ypaBtn4.png

From Russia, an Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik

2BQH4P7.png

NY38GCK.png

From America, a Lockheed P-38 Lightning 

aMvlbt7.png

c8fUQff.png

From Germany, a Messerschmitt Me-262 Schwalbe

SQkHHCn.png

634ce1c.png

From Japan, Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

KzbX2tL.png

GRJ1qdd.png

1 hour ago, ARS said:

I revisited old mods and decided to make a small aircraft exhibition, with a theme of WW2 aircraft (Over-engineered and kerbalized of course :P, either by adding ginormous engine, stick a lot of intakes, add more liquid-fueled thrusters for MOAR POWER, or upscaled them into even bigger than their real life counterpart)

ypaBtn4.png

From Russia, an Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik

2BQH4P7.png

NY38GCK.png

From America, a Lockheed P-38 Lightning 

aMvlbt7.png

c8fUQff.png

From Germany, a Messerschmitt Me-262 Schwalbe

SQkHHCn.png

634ce1c.png

From Japan, Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

KzbX2tL.png

GRJ1qdd.png

Very nice! How’d you make all the parts black?

Made a drone racer (with room for a kerbal) for the Kürburgring challenge, powered by 8 Juno's. Freakingly fast, agile and aggressive.

i7ZNW36.png

KiXMKGf.png

cLoRBBg.png

With rear lights.

3g1uU6L.png

Brake lights.
i21Hpte.png

And not to forget, Boost Flaps for fast braking while keeping the jets running at 100%.

2YZLpkj.png

Edited by Azimech

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

With all those lifting surfaces, how far can it fly?

Uhm ... standard it has a lot of downforce but with some tweaking I suppose it could be a Mach 1+ jet. It only has 1 Mk0 fuel tank so it won't get very far though (needs to complete just one lap of the circuit).

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Very nice! How’d you make all the parts black?

Using old mods:

Retrofuture spaceplane parts

Link: 

https://spacedock.info/mod/197/retrofuture space plane parts

HRP (Heat resistant parts)

Link:

https://spacedock.info/mod/218/Heat-Resistant Parts (HRP)

Both are outdated, but can still be used (as long as you have necessary plugins)

Yesterday, in my career game:

Val got her turn to go to orbit in another Explorer II (same design Jeb had flown), and became the first Kerbal to do a spacewalk: went EVA in orbit, filed a report, and slipped back inside, without ever letting go of the ladder.

Once she was back, I took a contract to fly a VIP tourist into orbit and bring him back safely.  Halfway through rebuilding Explorer II for ground-controlled "spam in the can" flight, I discovered I have a Mk. 1 Passenger Cabin in inventory.  Won't change the plans for the VIP -- passenger cabin is too heavy, where the Stayputnik that will actually be flying the vessel weighs less than the Service Bay and experiments I deleted for the passenger version, Explorer IIp.  It does, however, explain why I'm getting all these tourist contracts, for two and three tourists at once.  Guess I need to work on designing an orbital passenger flier.  Fortunately, I got the VAB upgraded, so I can use more than 30 parts if needed...

Pictures of Explorer IIp and the first space tourist flight upcoming; vessel isn't quite done yet, and hasn't flown.