What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

A lot of what I did recently was re-doing things that I'd already done. After I finished assembling my upgraded station around Duna I went to check on Foothold Base (on its way to Pol) and discovered that it had experienced a Spontaneous Existence Failure and disappeared from my vessels list. This had happened before with ships bound for Jool and I think it has to do with gravity captures. If I leave them unattended as they do their gravity assist flyby they have a tendency to just blink out of existence, even if their PE above the body in question is more than high enough to ensure a safe journey. Unfortunately the most recent named save I had at the time was made just after landing my Moho rover so everything since then had to be re-done. I'm caught up now, though, and this time I made sure to watch Foothold Base like a hawk as it passed by Laythe so everything is back on track now.

I also managed to get a bit ahead of my previous position. My surface base has arrived at Duna.

vDzlPrb.png

Included with that mine is a rover which now poses a bit of a problem. My original plan for the exploration of Dres and Eeloo was to be as minimalistic as possible; I'd send a polar satellite to scan for optimum landing sites and then send my Explorer 1 science vessel for a manned landing and science mission. Since there would be no way to refuel Explorer 1 for its return trip I wanted to cut down on the fuel usage for the journey as much as possible and had tentatively settled on a Kervin->Duna->Dres->Duna->Jool->Eeloo itinerary for the vessel, under the assumption that the ship would be able to refuel at Duna and Dres.

Later on I amended my plan so that instead of simply landing on Dres and Eeloo the Explorer 1 lander would drop an unmanned rover off on the planets, to remain permanently on the surface and continue to transmit science as needed. The idea was for Explorer to leave Kerbin with the Dres rover attached and when it returned to Duna to refuel it would pick up a second rover to take to Eeloo. The rover sent with Duna Mine was meant to be that second rover, hence its inclusion with this mission. However, my experiences with exploring Moho led me to the conclusion that even if I don't intend to significantly develop a planet it would still make sense to have some kind of mining infrastructure in place there to assist with future missions. I also did some checking on that flight itinerary and found that the amount of time that I'd spend waiting for transfer windows would make anything other that direct flights to and from Dres and Eeloo unfeasible. This meant that Explorer 1 will no longer be visiting Duna at any point on its journey, so this rover no longer serves any purpose. I'm thinking I might send it to Vall.

I've also sent a new mission on its way to Eve.

051q2ro.jpg

The main purpose of this mission is to provide the equipment needed to allow my Eve operations to work unmanned. Included is a landing/mining craft for Gilly that, unlike my existing Gilly miner, is driven by a probe core and doesn't need a pilot (although it can still carry up to two passengers to the surface if needed.) Also included are two vessels to be landed on Eve; an unmanned science rover and a rocket based on a scaled-down version of my previous manned Eve vessel, with the main difference being that instead of sending a Kerbal down to the surface and back again it will instead just be sending some science experiments down and then launching an ESU into orbit. As this ship will only use the small-scale converter and drill it will literally take years for it to mine enough fuel to launch, but since it's unmanned I don't really have a problem with that. Once Explorer 1 is finished exploring the outer planets it can return to Eve to analyze the lander's data. I'll probably leave it there, since Gilly Station doesn't have a science lab and there isn't much more for Explorer to do once the Eeloo landing is complete.

*Rubs bleary eyes*

After more than two years away from the game, I finally returned, went through my enormous mod setup process, and reacquainted myself with the game.  After several failed attempts, I even managed to launch my first rocket past the 18km mark!

Small steps, man.  Small steps.

So far today work has continued on the Minmus Base Expansion Project.  Scouted a location for an additional mining outpost(different resources), completed design work on the manufacturing outpost, and started work on a crew transfer/research station in Minmus orbit.  Next step is to decide what needs to go down to the surface next, then scout a location to mine uraninite so I can keep my various reactors going in the long term.  After that will be more launches to continue construction of the station.

Stayed up super late and tried to make an Eve cruiser and dropship. It wasn't meant to try to return from Eve....It wasn't meant to have incredibly lame TWR at > 1km from sea level either...

sFTid1c.jpg

Then I realized a small desire to roll my own stock missiles and attack something. I turned gravity way down rather than do this in space. Regardless, the missiles underperformed and weird things happened with the victim plane. #physics

iU5kjgr.jpg

Been playing around with a Mars mission of some sort, decided on an orbiter. Using my sandbox save because I'm sick and tired of "progression".

I built a Delta 7000 series for this. It may not be entirely accurate in dimensions (except for diameter) but I have the burn times and engines correct which is really what counts. This thing is very tough to fly, took me several tries and I have to bring it up manually because MechJeb refuses to use the full control authority and it's bottom-heavy; flips the damn thing all the time. It's very interesting to me in that three of the SRMs are left unfired on the pad and instead brought up to altitude, with appropriate nozzles to improve isp, and the thing still leaps off the pad with some 1.97 TWR.

No matter, a gentle hand eventually brought it to a 400x1000km parking orbit. I tilted it very early (for me) at about 25m/s and then let it follow prograde, seemed to work pretty well although there were some corrections to be made once out of the atmosphere. I'll plan out the mission later, was really just testing the launcher. Still, the remaining delta-V in the Delta-K stage and the Star 48B should be plenty to get this guy to Mars, and there's plenty of hydrazine left to spin it up.

Still have some cosmetic details to deal with as well, those decouplers and the floating connections look stupid, and I'll have to switch to the correct model for the Star 48, plus put a platform for the sat on top of it. Maybe some spin motors as well...

eHoQrEW.png

lIU1zMu.png

WPRqOoi.png

pn0tgTn.png

VWn7KpI.png

Finally! Got it down to  <0.05 degrees off target inclination

r0ql1Fv.png

Though I should stop trying to "improve" my script. Literally had I spent the time on actual orbital mechanics (and math) I would have had something much much better. than . this.:/

I like this one . Really shows how massive RO rockets are:cool:(Core diameter : 3.3m or so)

DlQt9s6.png

I'm building it, the first stock "steam" locomotive. This is a 4-4-2, complete with offset crankshaft (no direct drive on the driving wheels, would make the construction too wide), crossheads and valve gear. When it runs properly I might increase the diameter of the driving wheels to give it a higher top speed. Don't expect blinding performance though, it probably won't be able to run faster than those things from the 1850's.

7QBIDeb.png

WciOtzi.png

kzREVKP.png

Edited by Azimech

Made some upgrades to my Selenium I racer, since my lap time only lasted a day. :P

It is however proving rather hard to keep it stuck firmly to the ground. Usually the problem is just losing traction on a corner and spinning out, but other times...

uNzOis3.jpg

Note: kOS dashboard readout is nonsense now that the computer (probe) core is detached from the vehicle.

Guess I might take a break from cars and work on my clock, or my Saturn V replica... or something

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I'm building it, the first stock "steam" locomotive. This is a 4-4-2, complete with offset crankshaft (no direct drive on the driving wheels, would make the construction too wide), crossheads and valve gear. When it runs properly I might increase the diameter of the driving wheels to give it a higher top speed. Don't expect blinding performance though, it probably won't be able to run faster than those things from the 1850's.

I have no idea what sorcery this is, but I am completely and thoroughly impressed. And a little frightened for the Kerbals in that world.

The past several days, I've been working on adding a module to the Community Space Station 1.3.

It's been interesting to design with very specific requirements (no more than 5 parts, must have a docking port, only stock). I'm looking forward to adding to more of the stations!

2-Kerbal Escape Pod for the Community Space Station

QcFKxBr.jpg

She doesn't look like much, but this is a highly refined, efficient escape pod system.

You can see more at my Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/iOHUQ

Edited by scottadges