What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

16 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@Julien Kerman Just out of curiosity, is the Venus station being done in career? If so, how far are you into career (both in time and achievements)?

Sure it is! :) I recommend looking through my previous forum posts, where I explained everything and gave a lot of details about the entire mission.

Currently, it is 1985 (my aim was to do a crewed Venus mission until the end of the 80's). 

Can you ask about the arvievements more specifically? 

Edited by Julien Kerman

Landed a probe on Duna in career, but the communications antenna broke during reentry, so I can't get the science back. I don't NEED the science, but it's a mission requirement. Also, running up the score after getting through the tech tree. Also, kinda proud of myself that I was able to land it with only partial probe control. (no throttle, just all-on or all-off thrust.)

The solution, of course, is a manned mission. Might even try to land near the probe and get screenshots, but it's kind of on a hill, not sure I want to risk it.

Also, getting more creative with reusable spacecraft, rescuing Kerbals and equipment, and shuttling them back to LKO, then sending up a single craft to bring back a bunch of them at once. If I can't fulfill 3-4 contracts with a single launch, I try to avoid doing that launch. Also trying to launch tugs, pods, landers, etc., as parasites on other missions - that way I have ships around when I need them.

The only caveat is sometimes I forget the drone cores and have to launch a pilot separately.

God this game is fun.

Edited by dvp

managed to unlock the nuclear engine, too late for the large Duna science mission in LKO thats gradually being fuelled for departure, but have managed to get an 'express' craft into orbit, tasked with a very simple mission to Duna SOI and return with some science and a few passengers to space walk to level up.

Its still in LKO as any attempt at doing anything with it results in being locked to the craft, unable to save or exit.

Reminded me why I've not bothered finishing fuelling the science mission

I have started (sorry no pics, I forgot to take them) my minmus mining operation. Basically I have a station in semi synchronous polar orbit called the MMS. (Minmus Monitoring station) which scanned minmus. Using the maps I pinpointed the best spots on minmus to mine. Then I landed a rover that checked out the ore concentration, and I found 8 percent! Then I used the rover as a beacon for the refinery base. The refinery landed next to the rover with Bill and Bob. Unfortunately they did not have enough room for poor jeb in the rover.  So I landed a little hab, that, using painstakingly delicate rocket surgery, (by "skipping around, and losing a radiator in the process,) docked it to the refinery. So that's my mining operation so far.  

5 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I know. This was just a test. I actually have a cinematic I'm going to post soon. :D 

well I do what I can with no video editor

sorry the mouse keep getting in the way

this is what i did yesterday

Edited by DeltaDizzy

I spent 1.5-2 hours loading RP-0 only to have it keep crashing and lagging. I finally bit the bullet and restarted the computer... I also took KSP out of full screen. WAAAY better performance, and I now have more control over my computer because I can immediately switch from the game to something else without having to alt-tab, which can lead to severe lag.

But now It's running smooth(er) and I've designed a 4 satellite Mars commnet (with a Phobos/Demios lander) and another Lunar station module.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I spent 1.5-2 hours loading RP-0 only to have it keep crashing and lagging. I finally bit the bullet and restarted the computer... I also took KSP out of full screen. WAAAY better performance, and I now have more control over my computer because I can immediately switch from the game to something else without having to alt-tab, which can lead to severe lag.

But now It's running smooth(er) and I've designed a 4 satellite Mars commnet (with a Phobos/Demios lander) and another Lunar station module.

I am just going to go out on a limb and say that either you need a more powerful computer, or fewer mods. But that is my uneducated guess that should be taken with a grain of salt.

41 minutes ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

I am just going to go out on a limb and say that either you need a more powerful computer, or fewer mods. But that is my uneducated guess that should be taken with a grain of salt.

1. I do not have a more powerful computer, it's actually very unsuited for this, but before this computer I had a brick and a potato, so even though I have lag, it's waaaay better than it was on the brick or the potato.

2. I've already gotten rid of a lot of mods from realism overhaul (I don't actually have any Gemini, advanced Soyuz, or explorer parts) and my only real splurge were the graphics mods (which IMO are so, so worth the extra lag).

If I could have a more powerful computer, I would take it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I do not, so I'll make do with this. It's bearable unless it's acting up (which isn't too terribly often) or unless I'm next to Avalon Station (400 parts and counting).

Trying to learn the ropes, I decided to stick to "career mode" and still max science without going out of Kerbin SOI. So, I visited all KSC with a science-gathering plane, twice! Once to directly collect all science (you can put all experiments in a "custom action group" and with a click of "1" you get all 7 experiment reports). 32 biomes around KSC took me ~30 min and yielded directly ~2k science.

The second round was with a docking-capable plane to put all experimental data on a mobile lab satellite. Just the KSC biomes use almost 500 of the 750 data storage units and after putting that satellite in orbit, it now grinds out ~6 science per day for additional 2k science.

Next on the to-do list, visit the other Kerbin biomes (badlands, polar caps, etc) for science gathering in flight, landed, low and high orbit, but the suborbital hopper is not so easy to build sturdy and lightweight...

When I get that routine down: off to Mün ;-)

Continuing the planning of an insane endeavour: To travel to every biome on Kerbin by rover starting and ending at KSC. Target speed 30m/s minimum on flat terrain, capable of climbing 30 degrees as minimum, carrying all the experiments and a bunch of containers, resilient with backup systems should the mains fail (no engineer yet capable of repairing wheels). All while keeping the mass down. Going to rely on RT's rover cruise control or I will certainy go mad long before reaching the highlands just outside KSC.

Edited by LN400

Just puttering along in my career game last night after a long hiatus from the game.  Had a contract for some low-altitude atmospheric scans about 70-80km southeast of KSC, so I took my ungainly mule of a monoplane out for a flight.  The thing can only muster around 50m/s, so it was a long flight out and a long flight back, but the scans were completed, Jebediah was safely returned to the runway at KSC (as was the plane itself), and monies were received.  Trying to scrape together enough scratch to upgrade my R&D facility and unlock surface samples.

Spoiler

Capture.jpg

Edited by Landwalker

20 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

In general, do you got any cool stations? How many guys have you sent to the moon, which planets have you visited, etc.

So I have my space station in LEO and the Venus station is also orbiting Venus right now.

CEQhLE9.jpg

I did 5 manned moon landings and uncrewed landings on the Moon, Mars, Phobos, and Venus.

I did a crewed sun flyby, and probe flybys of all galilean moons, (each one twice), Saturn, Titan, Mercury and probes are on their way to fly by Uranus and Neptune.

Orbiters for Saturn & Uranus are also on their way. At the moment, I have a Landerprobe for Callisto under development.

Also; the crew for the Venus station will launch at the next Venus window (T- ~400 days)

Edited by Julien Kerman

Some final adjustments for the Venus station aerobreak:

aVrMhNQ.jpg

I did not knew the best aerobreak altitude, so I had to try, reload, try again and so on (this is why the periapsis on the following screenshot is not correct)

In the end, the final periapsis was 90km.

1q3NFu2.jpg

After some adjustments, I was quite happy. 475km x 2300km is good enough.

hlF1kHQ.jpg

The Station is in orbit now, the crew will leave Earth in around 400 days at the next transfer window.

Built a spaceplane in 2.5x GPP.  (my 3rd SSTO ever!) Had trouble fine tuning and getting reentry down, but eventually I made it.  Was never good at landing planes...

mkArIM0.jpg

Am I doing this right? :sticktongue:

WAKYwmj.jpg

Did this landing for testing's sake.  Managed to touch down at only 32m/s which is well below take-off speed.