What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Tipped over my Minmus station so Jeb could climb back aboard without monoprop. Successfully made it back to Kerbin only to realize I had forgotten the parachutes.

Today is one of those days.  :(:mad:

ejPoMio.png

[edit] Yes, those are wheels (large and XL) mounted on the side... some silly cash mission. I had tourists with me too...

Edited by Magzimum

Launched 2x fuel depots to Mun... They better be reusable or I will charge someone for the costs... damn that Mun base contract is going to be a massive financial loss.

Edited by LN400

I don't think I need to tell you how badly this landing went. Some major points of improvement: Remove two of the Vectors, they're overpowered for this mission. Add a high Isp vacuum engine (I think the LV-909 is better than Vector for vacuum efficiency). Add more fuel. Refuel in orbit fully. Less fuel waste on RCS.

IGVE4nz.png

Hello Moho

screenshot493.png

Used the exact same ship I used for Dres.  Figured it's gotta be close, right? ...nope.

Yeah I don't think I have enough fuel in the orbiter to get home.  Luckily I planned for rescue missions.  If I can get the craft back into Kerbol orbit inclined with Kerbin, sending a small tanker to meet up with Jeb shouldn't be a problem.  Put a docking port on the back of the orbiter for just such an occasion.  Luckily Jeb will be a Kerbsicle so I'm not too worried with the added time.

This is all assuming I can get off the surface.

Been busy to post here. But, have been making prgress with my stock career game since I last posted here. One of my more intresting successes:2DA48718B61D4BBA9CD6E42332DBB144A8367D9F

As you can see it hasa  swooped down neck. What it does not show are the 8 ram jets(?) that where dropped once they stopped working. This will be going to land upon Duna. But, might do some more tweeking of the design before actually sending it over. As currently this is just a testing phase. As I have been contantly low on funds. Most of the time due to failed launches or failled attempts to get a retrograde orbit due to it beinga rescue Kerbal in retrograde orbit attempt. Yup to I thin either 8 or 9 tries and all of them costing no less then 1 mil + funds. Certainly a learning experiance for me. As I only accept funds from contracts or those we been here and did that first at x place...

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Hello Moho

http://u.cubeupload.com/Geonovast/screenshot493.png

Used the exact same ship I used for Dres.  Figured it's gotta be close, right? ...nope.

Yeah I don't think I have enough fuel in the orbiter to get home.  Luckily I planned for rescue missions.  If I can get the craft back into Kerbol orbit inclined with Kerbin, sending a small tanker to meet up with Jeb shouldn't be a problem.  Put a docking port on the back of the orbiter for just such an occasion.  Luckily Jeb will be a Kerbsicle so I'm not too worried with the added time.

This is all assuming I can get off the surface.

Can you get to Eve? If you can get there you can send a mining ship to Gilly to get all the fuel you need.

Speaking of Eve, my new shipment of automated mining equipment and science probes arrived there.

fB5rgPT.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like it doesn't have enough fuel to reach my space station orbiting Gilly. I'd tested the mission before launch and was able to get all the way then, but for whatever reason now that I'm doing it "for real" my fuel supplies are running short. I think I can still complete the mission if I get the craft into a reasonably Gilly-like orbit, detach the tug from the payload, send it off alone to Gilly to refuel and then come back. The payload includes a mining lander that has its own probe core, solar panels and antenna so it should be able to survive unattended for as long as it needs to, and the whole thing's unmanned so there isn't much in the way of time constraints on this mission. My only deadline is that my Eve lander ship (which is designed to land on the surface, gather science, then send an ESU back up into orbit) needs to get to the surface soon enough so that it can mine enough to fill its fuel tanks before my science ship arrives, but since that ship is scheduled to make round trips from Kerbin to both Dres and Eeloo before it returns to Eve that's not too big of a problem.

25 minutes ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

Can you get to Eve? If you can get there you can send a mining ship to Gilly to get all the fuel you need.

...maybe.  I was barely able to break Moho's orbit.  I'll have to give a transfer to Eve.  I actually haven't visited Gilly yet, so maybe this is a good opportunity.  I sent a fuel ship to a similar Kerbol orbit, but the closest encounter I could get was some 1,300 km away with a relative speed of 6km/s.  I'd burn up almost all of the rescue ship's fuel just to meet.  Perhaps meeting at a planet will a ton easier.

Whichever, I gotta get that ship home.  I'd be fine with Jeb orbiting in his hibernation chamber indefinitely, but that ship has a good 1500 science on board.

What's bothering me is that it took about 700 m/s to change inclination to go to Moho, but about 1,500 to line back up with Kerbin.  I noticed a similar effect on my two Dres trips.  5.jpg

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

...maybe.  I was barely able to break Moho's orbit.  I'll have to give a transfer to Eve.  I actually haven't visited Gilly yet, so maybe this is a good opportunity.  I sent a fuel ship to a similar Kerbol orbit, but the closest encounter I could get was some 1,300 km away with a relative speed of 6km/s.  I'd burn up almost all of the rescue ship's fuel just to meet.  Perhaps meeting at a planet will a ton easier.

Whichever, I gotta get that ship home.  I'd be fine with Jeb orbiting in his hibernation chamber indefinitely, but that ship has a good 1500 science on board.

What's bothering me is that it took about 700 m/s to change inclination to go to Moho, but about 1,500 to line back up with Kerbin.  I noticed a similar effect on my two Dres trips.  5.jpg

You probably changed your inclination close to AP coming from Kerbin but closer to PE departing from Moho. The faster you're going the more dV it takes to change inclination.

1 minute ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

You probably changed your inclination close to AP coming from Kerbin but closer to PE departing from Moho. The faster you're going the more dV it takes to change inclination.

Hm.  I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with an inclination change, but again I don't know squat about this stuff.  I just wing everything, and so far, it's usually worked out.  This ship got to Dres and back exactly how I wanted with just guessing on everything.

As far as getting to Eve.... hahaha no.  KER is estimating about 640 m/s left in the tanks.

After the success of the Minmus Explorer a follow up vessel was built The Minmus Venture. it featured advanced equipment for extended stays like a centrifuge an array of sensors and unlike the previous mission this one had a carefully designed multistage two man lander for surface excursions. I learnt from Minmus Explorer than not having enough snacks can affect mission duration so a plentiful supply was added. the orbital insertion went well despite a less then ideal launch window, an minmus injection path was achieved with help from a quick trajectory altering pass by Mun. During Mun departure the Minmus injection stage was jettisoned and much to the chagrin of the engineers it was found that the Minmus Venture's main engine (which was selected for its hi ISP) is also tremendously powerful for its purpose.

Minmus insertion was achieved with very fuss, the crew set themselves up ready for the descent vehicle's departure for the Minmus surface. This is where things start to go awry. The crew for the surface transferred over to the descent vehicle, bid their farewells and "c u L8r" to the Minmus Venture's commander, who stayed behind. Usig the OMS to get clear of the Minmus Venture the Descent crew fired the craft's engines and a staging failre occurred. This resulted in the separation of the descent stage, the main engines and the landing gear. The separation was clean, which was the only saving grace. The descent craft made its may back to the Minmus Venture using the OMS and docked, with a very disappointed atmosphere. Provisions were dutifully transferred back into the main hold and the team made preparations to setup the descent craft as an extension of the Minmus Venture's habitation and labs.

At this point one of the crew who had done some very rough calculations decided that even with only the ascent stage and OMS the lander still had enough Delta-V to land and return (admittedly that would preclude the planned docking on return). Without permission he closed the hatch with enough supplies and sample return vials for a short excursion and forced an undocking procedure. He was determined to get to the Minmus surface, he had not come all this way for a fly-by!

Appalled, the crew of the Minmus Venture and mission control supported as best they could from afar but the scenario played out as they had anticipated. The landing site that had been chosen was a flat peak of a mountain around the equator but without the descent stage the approach angle was not as steep as needed. the lander scuffed the side of the mountain, clipping the surface before tumbling away. Excited shouting of "I made it!" was heard briefly before the comm-link cut out and the telemetry was lost. with the next orbit the remaining crew of the Minmus Venture could just see the remnants of the lander's hab section, like egg shell, surrounded by a wide area of debris. They called it in and now await a mission update.

(career game)

Val went off the reservation, but some folks who had reservations got more than they bargained for.

Val made a secret deal with someone in Mission Control to turn a tourist excursion (two Kerbals into space, one with orbit) into a vessel test.

No VAB shot, sorry.  The new, "fixed" Taxicab III, built as an orbital tourist transport, turned out to be capable of making orbit with a lot of fuel in the tanks.  Val was pretty sure that translated into being able to fly by the Mun, which would make it THE tourist transport for the foreseeable future (tourists will surely start demanding Munar flyby excursions soon).

RyFeKyA.png

Parts rearranged to better manage COM travel.  Never mind Adeny in the pilot's seat, that was a simulation.  He lacks the experience to fly this craft, which likes to flip ends if you get the slightest bit off the prograde marker.

YlzMKfg.png

Here we go.  Val in the hot seat, tourist having second thoughts, and gravity turn under way.

pr5wGVr.png

Orbit achieved, with better than 10% remaining in the booster core.  Attention, passengers, there's been a slight change in your scheduled excursion: we're going to the Mun!  Because it was intended as a test flight of the orbiter, Val staged away the booster before burning for the Mun -- in actual Munar tourist service, that fuel would have been used for insertion.  You can never have too much remaining delta-V.

dhnAudO.png

Almost on node marker, plenty of time.

ztlI8GS.png

And away we go!  Under your seats each of you will find an extra bag of snacks.  Please don't eat them all at once; this will be about a three day trip.  Forward and to starboard you can see the Mun.  It'll get a lot bigger over the next couple days.

c3IMUya.png

See?  Told you the Mun was going to grow.  And not the way it grows from a sliver crescent to full.

wa3W5NU.png

If you want photos of the Mun, now's the time.  We're about as close as we're going to get.

vG8JQT0.png

And look, there's Kerbin.  We haven't lost it -- in fact, we'll be back there in about a day and a half.

qcI8D1l.png

Wow, Kerbin's getting big in the windows again.  But the snack bag is getting pretty small.  Are we almost home?

g4QaQzk.png

Make sure you're strapped in, we're about to make a burn to slow down, then we'll make one more orbit before we land.

QWolyia.png

Partial eclipse out the port side windows, for those who are interested.  A tiny adjustment here, and we'll come back into atmosphere low enough to brake for landing.

L2Uq0EA.png

Once again, make sure your seat straps are snug and hang onto your cameras, snack bags, and eyeballs.  We're going to slow down a little now.

0egujmL.png

Sorry, not much to see, but this is the boring part of the flight.  Our rocket ship has become a glider, and we just have to wait until we get down to the ocean.  Once again, please make sure you have everything secured and your seat belts snug; the landing will be a little rough. 

Another slow day in the career save - I launched a Auk II spaceplane with three KSC staff and five tourists aboard to LKO, rendezvoused and docked with the Kerbinport space station, transferred said kerbals to Next Objective docked at the station and the ship departed for Minmus:

6Fp99w1.png
Next Objective departing Kerbinport. It's like I'm running an airline sometimes...

She'll arrive in eight days. Botched the timing of the ascent so rendezvous took longer than normal; while I was waiting, I launched tourist Rontop Kerman to LKO aboard a Kerbal Tour Bus 7c for contract, then returned him safely to Kerbin about 90 klicks from KSC. I think I may have figured out what I'm doing wrong as far as using the Trajectories mod to do a precision KSC landing (finally), and I'm anxious for another up-and-down contract to become available in order to test my theories. I also had time to launch a Boop-Boop 7 probe into an equatorial orbit around Kerbin for contract, dubbing said orbital space crap Kerbin Iota when all was said and done.

I spent more of my time in the litterbox doing experiments with the Alcubierre Drive mod, mainly trying to figure out how to navigate with the thing properly. Took the Phoenix 1 experimental warp probe to Duna and Eve. Hit Duna going way too fast - wound up doing a Tunguska the moment the ship hit atmo. Learned my lesson there; when I went to visit Eve, I first did a little sundive to pick up speed, to try and match Eve's orbital velocity around Kerbol a little moar closely. That worked - I made it to Eve at a reasonable orbital speed of about 1100 m/s. Probably should've tried to use the warp drive to get into orbit instead of attempting aerobraking, though; I haven't attempted an Eve aerobrake since v 0.9, before the deadly re-entry rules kicked in, and discovered 75 klicks is a bit too far down when your orbital velocity is above 4000 m/s at that point. In fairness, I did put what was left of the probe into a stable orbit around the planet...but what I realized overnight was that I should've used the warp to go prograde at the velocity I was at when I first entered Eve's SOI in order to swing into a stable orbit.

Which is what I did this early morning when I visited an untrustworthy region of space, again with Phoenix 1 (after reverting, of course):

Mt3tgT7.png
Now I just have to come up with a disaster- or nuclear weapons-related name for the production model, like I do with all my craft. Phoenix is just too full of hope...don't know what I was thinking...

Not every day that you can visit another planet (such as Dres) with your final booster stage still attached. Just saying...

Today's agenda: build a production warp ship in the litterbox, then do some tests with the current infrastructure to see if I can incorporate it into my existing career save or not. In the career save proper, I've got a satellite to launch, a plane or two to fly, and ore to mine. Twiddling my thumbs mainly until Next Objective arrives at Minmus, trying to pick up some cash. Those warp drive units aren't cheap...

I opened my sandbox save again in order to build a better MK1 space shuttle for my RO/RP0 career.

21niUum.jpg

This new version has even a cargo bay for ultra tiny satellites. The engines are still the same as before (main engine: J-2 // orbital maneuver system: 2 x FASA Gemini Lander engine)

QbvMrZQ.jpg

But I had the same problems as before. The shuttle is not aerodynamic, burns up in the atmosphere and flies like a brick through the air.

Was in a bit of a stagnant spot with middling technology in career mode so I decided to do a crewed grand tour of the Jool system, with Jool aerocapture using the 10 m inflatable heatshield. Did not plan out any orbits but managed to finagle some maneuvers to get close passes of Laythe, Tylo, Valle, and Pol. 

https://imgur.com/a/xxQnM