What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I, unfortunately, didn't have the time to play KSP today because I went to the Moscow Festival of Science, where we had a very cool live connection with ISS, and a Q&A session with cosmonauts S. Ryazansky and A. Misurkin who are currently onboard the ISS. I wanted to ask them if they played KSP, but the window for communication was too short, and I didn't have the chance.

kDftjtq.jpg

Outside the main building I spotted a strange-looking tent. Inside it, there was (imagine my surprise) a Soyuz space capsule! It looked like it survived a reentry after one of the past missions. Somehow, it felt strangely warm to the touch, despite the cold weather today.zjRenqE.jpg

Also, attended the lecture by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak about AI and technology. After the lecture, they gave him a nesting doll representing himself!

Well today is becoming interesting.

Been working on two monsterous, 800+ part, ~4,000 ton ships, for a detail report to submit for this challenge.

Thought I would be fancy and actually drive the kerbonauts to the launchpad instead of just boarding them in the VAB.

Everything going good, except framerate because of an 800+ ship in physics range, so lagging with a 13 part van..

d14screenshot1.png

Closer to the IDT Maya...

d78screenshot2.png

When I get close enough, the launchpad just up and EXPLODES.

8escreenshot3.png

Burned for a good while..

866screenshot5.png

The ship itself is fine.  Luckily I overdid the ladder to load the kerbals up.

320screenshot8.png

55fscreenshot10.png

(1.3.0) Spent the entire day yesterday continuing my attempts to grok the Alcubierre Drive mod. Tried once again to make it into a stable orbit of Eeloo, no joy (made it there, but I was going to fast to sustain an orbit). Revised my methodology and attempted to go to Moho again - still no joy. At this point, I'm pretty sure my failure has to do with the significant plane change involved and my apparent inability to find the right spot to make that change. Got one other thing I want to try, just haven't found the time to do it today...

I know it's old hat for most of you, but in a first for me, I spent 40 minutes of IRL burn time (I don't trust physics warp on anything big) getting this 600+ ton (fully fueled) 381 part monstrosity:

knSpdgx.jpg

Here (behold glorious Duna insertion burn!):

Lomb5Lb.png

I assembled it in LKO from five launch payloads. The back end is a lander/miner/tanker which has enough d/v to work fine on the Mun, so I should have no trouble refueling it from Ike. I also have two small landers docked up front for gathering science from Ike's different biomes.

Edited by dvp

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

(1.3.0) Spent the entire day yesterday continuing my attempts to grok the Alcubierre Drive mod. Tried once again to make it into a stable orbit of Eeloo, no joy (made it there, but I was going to fast to sustain an orbit). Revised my methodology and attempted to go to Moho again - still no joy. At this point, I'm pretty sure my failure has to do with the significant plane change involved and my apparent inability to find the right spot to make that change. Got one other thing I want to try, just haven't found the time to do it today...

Have you looked into Transfer Window Planner, Flyby Finder, and/or Mechjeb? They can make finding that elusive zero plane change transfer much easier. Alternatively, you can launch when Kerbin is at Mojo’s AN/DN. Don’t worry about an actual intercept at first, just aim to intersect with Moho’s opposite node at perihelion. Once en route, you can play with a second burn there to bring yourself into an encounter in an orbit or two. And no matter how much Delta-V you think you have, bring more

Then again, you could accept that Moho is simply a cursed and unholy place that doesn’t want you to visit, and stay away... while you still can. :sealed:

Came back to the game and decided to finish a contract requiring me to land a science lab on Minmus. Dropped it next to my mining outpost and I'm planning to try to hook them up later when I land a science rover on Minmus.

AEEFC847DD51DDB0F30939F2F1D3101BF3CBFE72

Edited by Jakinbandw

Spent 5 hours (yesterday) over engineering a 2 kerbal mun attempt. it was.. rather successful.. apart from forgetting to transfer the TACLS resources over.. from the CSM to the LEM thus curtailing Bobs Mun excursion.

5ee7tgD.png

Long Dart Rocket climbing up from KSC on its first stage

mdhuRgN.png

Stage Sep goes smoothly. The MEM is contained in the fairing above the 2s. The CSM is protected by the upper fairing

wCj42Qv.png

CSM comes online whilst the 2S prepares for the insertion burn for parking orbit at 150KM

K7IsL2H.png

CSM+MEM in parking orbit preparing for TMI. The 2S had enough DV to park the pair, but not enough for insertion so given the large DV budget for the mission, MEM release and rendezvous was done in LKO

7610prY.png

CSM prepares to fire for LMO insertion at Periapse. Soon after completion, resources will be transferred to the MEM for immediate MEM Departure

NEw2nqL.png

Bob prepares to lift off from the Munar surface having only taken 1 and 1/2 hours of supply with him (oops)

Was a lot of fun building this over engineered project. Nothing spectacular but still good fun.

Edited by RobertJPowell
Mem for Lem

That feeling you get when something is missing;
DYRuDC8.jpg
It was a routine flight, until part way into the ascent when the left wing decided it had had enough and ceased to exist. I realised that an emergency descent was out the question, so with a bit of balancing of pitch and yaw I managed to continue the ascent to a stable orbit.

54 minutes ago, katateochi said:

That feeling you get when something is missing;
https://i.imgur.com/DYRuDC8.jpg

It was a routine flight, until part way into the ascent when the left wing decided it had had enough and ceased to exist. I realised that an emergency descent was out the question, so with a bit of balancing of pitch and yaw I managed to continue the ascent to a stable orbit.

Is that a parachute on the front? Hopefully that'll be enough to let you splashdown without the wing. You won't get the recovery bonus but you should be able to save your crew.

Yesterday, mission on Mun a success, where new science equipment was installed on a rover waiting at a contract zone for temp measurements. Here the lander is docking with the orbital depot where the mission command module was arriving a few hours later.

2u4h3rq.png

Crew transfered over and all 3 homebound. Oh and Klumsy the Klown managed to break one of the solar panels on the rover while attaching the equipment. Got plenty to spare but it was a bit of a bugger. Also praise the Kerbal Alarm Clock for without its assistance, the 3 different critical burns in less than 15 seconds would not have happened on time.

w1zgq0.png

Edited by LN400

48 minutes ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

Is that a parachute on the front? Hopefully that'll be enough to let you splashdown without the wing. You won't get the recovery bonus but you should be able to save your crew.

No it's just a nose cone with some vernor engines sticking out of it. I was able to get it into stable orbit, and then send another fight up to pickup the crew and passengers. I'm playing with EPL so I've got a part recycler in orbit, the stricken shuttle got scrapped and turned into rocket parts ready for orbital construction of other things. 

I deorbited my practice space station that was orbiting ike...by slamming it into kerbin.

I then found an asteroid that was going to do a fly by of kerbin and intercepted it while it was in kerbins SOI.

I spent the rest of my night slowly burning retrograde (even though it only took a measly 12.5m/s to get into orbit) to circularize.

The reason I burned so slow was due to the fact the claw would re adjust where it connected making full thrust impossible since it wasn't directly above the center of mass.

Olympus Orbital Facility

I've been tinkering with an idea for a large, kerbo-stationary orbital facility. It had to be big, with obscene amounts of fuel reserve. It had to have a hab ring, with major Kerbal capacity. It would be the construction facility (using the EL/Simple Construction mod) for an even larger Joolian mission craft.

After about 10 attempts using different booster configurations with 8 out of 10 being total Kraken disasters... I said, "Forget this. HyperEdit." (Just being up-front here. I got sick and tired of fighting physics easing...)

cI92vSR.jpg

Then I brought my Mk3-1E class shuttle 'Elliandra' in to dock. It took a good bit of DV to get from the 150km parking orbit out to 2800Km kerbo-stationary, but she made it with a some fuel to spare. Not like there wasn't more fuel at the destination!

OaFtq22.jpg

vZtxHGC.jpg

WWO13dO.jpg

This is a combination of Planetary Bases, Stockalike Station Parts, those pressurized Octo trusses, and SpaceY fuel tanks, plus a few other mods. She carries ~600,000 LFO and about 20,000Ec. The solar panels are Tweakscaled up to 150% making it a bit more impressive. She has two main standard docking ports for my shuttle fleet to rendezvous, plus 4 docking ports for smaller probes and other mission craft below the habitat ring.

I have a much larger component planned for ore, metal, and rocket part storage to expand the "top" (above the fuel tanks). The docking tube at the "bottom" (the crew hab and engineering section) will be for construction of my Joolian Mission craft: Zeus Transfer Vehicle.

Edited by scottadges

41 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Built a full scale Duna city by welding and rescaling parts—each of those domes are about a kilometer across.

rz6Lb3f.png

Impressive!

Today: Watching the Great Kerbin Sciene Expedition reaching the 55th parallell after a 144km drive. To the creator of Remote Tech: I thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving me from madness. That rover control is genius. Rough but genious.

I finally launched a manned science ship to orbit to meet with the station core and get some science churning done, Wild Blue style. :) 

I never thought I'd be comfortable making serious use of MonoPropellant engines (due to their Isp range) but here I am. About 1km/s dV on the pod and happy sailing.

1Ve6eOs.jpg

B9Vk6AV.jpg