What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

30 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Anyone know any more effective and maybe...more cheaty way of moving the center of lift back? Kind of don't want to reposition half a trillion junos tonight...

Wing clipping, My go to method for when I have to make physics cooperate. (Physics has no power over me!!! ok well maybe it does). Clip in a bunch of wings near the back in the engines or something. Useful wings are the D and E panels. For smaller spaces, go for elevon 4.

Also, I recommend CorrectCoL. Better than that thing thing we have in the SPH.

And maybe chuck on a bunch of reaction wheels. Just in case.

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Wing clipping, My go to method for when I have to make physics cooperate. (Physics has no power over me!!! ok well maybe it does). Clip in a bunch of wings near the back in the engines or something. Useful wings are the D and E panels. For smaller spaces, go for elevon 4.

Also, I recommend CorrectCoL. Better than that thing thing we have in the SPH.

And maybe chuck on a bunch of reaction wheels. Just in case.

Theres like 4 reaction wheels in the nose, the rear has I think 10 elevons already, but I'll definitely clip some into the rear compartment I guess. :P 

6 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Theres like 4 reaction wheels in the nose, the rear has I think 10 elevons already, but I'll definitely clip some into the rear compartment I guess. :P 

If you're not adverse to mods, you might try Atmosphere Autopilot. It's a fly-by wire mod and I know from experience that it can make a dynamically unstable plane design flyable. Definitely better than stock SAS.

This is all over a few nights and I'm missing some earlier screencaps.

I went back to Dres station to get some more science for new Kerbin Station and realized I didn't have a scientist there. Fortunately a transfer window was right around the corner, so I slapped together a new fully-electric crew taxi with all those toys I'd been accumulating and sent the new crewmember on their way. Once in orbit I had MechJeb set up the intercept to Dres Station and it put the new ship on a collision course with the station. I realized too late (the intercept was like, 200m off) but those MIF drives are pretty tolerant (apparently) so all I lost was the reserve LFO stores. This is not a huge deal because we had enough ore to send down the science lander and completely refuel the mining rig. Operations can continue as normal despite what an actual collision would have done to the station and taxi.

ibLyTrV.png

I also noticed at Dres that my standard model science lander is solar powered and that it does need to gather science while exposed to the sun. It also recharges pretty slowly out there, although it does keep the crew alive. This is a big problem for Klamath because I sent one of those along with the specialized Laythe lander. I designed a new one with some RTGs and managed a pretty close, if a bit high-energy, Jool transfer for it. Although the crew of the Klamath will have to wait for it there's still plenty to do, and I can potentially use the smaller lander to make some flybys around the Jool system.

zPqFA1x.png

Klamath arrived at Laythe

dXZ7cSz.png

where it met up with the lander tug and the probe full of uranium nitride. Although it felt pretty hairy without the ship's original reserves careful management of the reactor and the fact that I had installed a smaller electric generator staved off the crew's doom and they are now comfortably ready for operations around Jool.

mdJTX7K.png

Now I'm left wondering if I installed any science equipment on that Laythe lander... If not, a surface sample should still provide some good science.

Edited by regex

Stock parts, just used paint.

Installed the basic hardware for the speedometer. It works in this setup. There will be a lot of tuning.

How it works:

The jet engine close to the fascia acts like a spring, it blows against the elevon. When airspeed increases, drag on the elevon will push it backwards, driving the gear.

yVWDtci.png

TN52Qeq.png

E5Vkrx6.png

I haven't posted in this thread before - but I thought this was interesting. I am playing in career, I am still getting to grips, etc, etc...but I manged to get a probe to Eve. Quite excited, got it to land, even more excited and even got it to send some data back. However on the decent, the solar panels on the side broke off, so this meant I only had enough battery for a few experiments. The probe is now 'dead' Oh it also landed on its side. Anyhow this got me thinking as I watched the power go, this is just  like the original Russian Venus landers, just enough power for  a few mins! 

I haven't quite worked out how to add pictures, so sorry about that!

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Stock parts, just used paint.

Installed the basic hardware for the speedometer. It works in this setup. There will be a lot of tuning.

How it works:

The jet engine close to the fascia acts like a spring, it blows against the elevon. When airspeed increases, drag on the elevon will push it backwards, driving the gear.

<snip>

I was impressed with the engine and plane. Now I don't even know what to think... I've seen people make transformers, but this... this... what's next, an airspeed indicator? Props man, mad props.

5 minutes ago, kraden said:

I was impressed with the engine and plane. Now I don't even know what to think... I've seen people make transformers, but this... this... what's next, an airspeed indicator? Props man, mad props.

I think the altimeter and VSI are going to be the most difficult, if even possible to get right. I already have a design in my head, it's a departure from the usual method since we can't utilize a vacuum.

3 hours ago, Silverwood said:

I haven't posted in this thread before - but I thought this was interesting. I am playing in career, I am still getting to grips, etc, etc...but I manged to get a probe to Eve. Quite excited, got it to land, even more excited and even got it to send some data back. However on the decent, the solar panels on the side broke off, so this meant I only had enough battery for a few experiments. The probe is now 'dead' Oh it also landed on its side. Anyhow this got me thinking as I watched the power go, this is just  like the original Russian Venus landers, just enough power for  a few mins! 

I haven't quite worked out how to add pictures, so sorry about that!

Still, that is awesome. It also echoes the Rosetta mission and Philae ending up without enough sunlight.

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Also, jets need time (and speed) to come up to full thrust. 

I waited enough, and besides KER is showing 2.+ TWR

I think it might be something about the engine. I tried with the most basic one and it did the job. 

Ok, what do you mean by it needing speed? for the air intake? how do I see these parameteres?

57 minutes ago, Agustin said:

I waited enough, and besides KER is showing 2.+ TWR

I think it might be something about the engine. I tried with the most basic one and it did the job. 

Ok, what do you mean by it needing speed? for the air intake? how do I see these parameteres?

he means set it to full throttle, activate the engine, wait 10 seconds, then release it.

Alright....let's send the crew to the Venus Station!! :cool: :cool:

B8Kcet9.jpg

Launch on this gigantic Saturn C-8 rocket

eo70A9v.jpg

8 F-1A engines (9100kN each) lifted the rocket off the pad.

zu00I9z.jpg

Stage separation! The 8 HG-3 vac engines completed the orbit insertion.

8FfyKq2.jpg

This is the actual spacecraft. Its grey tank is only half filled with fuel (but it has still 3000 m/s deltaV) because it will refuel at the Venus Station.

The rest is quite basic, it features science instruments,  4 solar panels, 2 antennas, a heatshield for aerobreak and 250 days of life support.

uLlO30Z.jpg

Are you ready, Jeb? You will be away for quite a while ^^ 

cwbtV30.jpg

Woohoo, interplanetary space! :confused:

vbL51No.jpg

I hope this insane mission wont go wrong.

50 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You must be new.  Welcome!

Well, actually I am not :) I am trying to do daily posts in here and I also signed up a while ago ^^. But its nice that you found my profile :sticktongue:

15 minutes ago, Kosmonaut said:

You're sending people on a four month trip in an Apollo Capsule? That seems unnecessarily cruel, even for KSP

I had to cut the mission budget. The entire project cost is around :funds:3.5 million, and the actual mission has just started. Hmmm at least they have enough food :cool:, and the trip wont take 4 months, looks like they will arrive there in around 100 days.

11 minutes ago, Tyko said:

yea...I'm kind of concerned too. Did OSHA sign off on this?

Hahahah not quite sure. Lets hope they wont find out xD