What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

16 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

What?  I once sent Val to Duna in a Mk. 1 Command Pod, took seven years to get her back.

That's nothing compared to how easy it is for a Kerbal to strap itself on a Mk1 pod, get stuck in solar orbit, have it's agency ask your agency to go pick it up, then sit back and wait for a TBD (to be determined) amount of time, while you're trying to figure out how did it manage to get stuck in a retrograde orbit in the first place :)

Edited by Atkara

3 hours ago, Agustin said:

I waited enough, and besides KER is showing 2.+ TWR

I think it might be something about the engine. I tried with the most basic one and it did the job. 

Ok, what do you mean by it needing speed? for the air intake? how do I see these parameteres?

Jets in the game don’t produce max power while sitting still, they need to be moving in most cases. Right click on the engine, it’ll display its current power output. If someone else round here could test your setup, that might be helpful too. Might just be the little Juno can’t lift that much at zero speed.

13 hours ago, Azimech said:

Stock parts, just used paint.

Installed the basic hardware for the speedometer. It works in this setup. There will be a lot of tuning.

How it works:

The jet engine close to the fascia acts like a spring, it blows against the elevon. When airspeed increases, drag on the elevon will push it backwards, driving the gear.

yVWDtci.png

TN52Qeq.png

E5Vkrx6.png

This is insanely awesome how long did this take?

Got the A-Wing able to properly fly! Thanks guys!

428ad2cc670013bbfdc5f965e7942fff.png

9f9f40180c463d83a584066179722730.png

And for how un-areodynamic the TIE fighter is, I was able to get it working in like half an hour...

fa49efa7caab9fdedbac80ec4510c585.png

cf0dc13c7018f92fc2bb0916f0bf18ee.png

Suicidal maneuverability indeed! Though able to recover!

f782b34a09184cc007e9f40850eeebf9.png

In other news...

3ccc695255a48d260e7f58f821fbb17d.png

Spoiler

3ae7679990fa44b3fd58dd7906b64646.png

95d85077c2b85cb1905f7d9a4de456bb.png

Nailed it.

Edited by Spacetraindriver

2 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

I had to cut the mission budget. The entire project cost is around :funds:3.5 million, and the actual mission has just started. Hmmm at least they have enough food :cool:, and the trip wont take 4 months, looks like they will arrive there in around 100 days.

100/30=3 1/3 
So just over three months

I would still be contemplating a murder-suicide... might even go further than that. I would  be miserable, as cool as space is. You would get Apollo Astronaut's getting cramped after 9-10 days, and this is ten times that length. But hey, maybe kerbals are tougher stuff than us. Maybe their knees don't ache and lock after an hour in the same position, and maybe they get along so well with everyone else that they would just be happy by nature.

EDIT: I mean, technically, they are a mycelium of some sort so it would make sense

Edited by Kosmonaut

I've done dual reentries a few times now, it's quite rewarding and you get some cool screen shots (managing the landing gets...interesting). 

7wLreHx.jpgbKa02Xu.jpg
z6UsIwh.jpg

But I've never tried dual ascent (off Kerbin) before today. It was easier to keep them together during ascent than it was during reentry. I used mechjeb SURF function so set precise pitch control on each craft, I think it would be much harder with pure stock controls. (sorry for the dark pictures, I'll try this again in the light and get some better pics).

1hrGswW.jpgi4KRwWW.jpg

The most tense bit was quickly switching between them to switch engine mode as they reached flame out and then another hasty switch to cut their throttles once the desired Ap was reached.
During the coast to Ap I used RCS to bring them right along side and then a bit more hasty switching to throttle up and down for the burn to complete the orbit.

dooS2tI.jpgAg62LtS.jpg

At the end of the final burn they were just over 100m apart with only a few m/s speed difference.
A bit of RCS tweaking to get a nice screenshot;

Czls0S0.jpg

This is the craft I was using https://kerbalx.com/katateochi/CT-32 (basically an overpowered SSTO bus for tourists)

I sent a mission to the Mun in science mode.  It failed.  The next time I opened the game, the system shrunk by a factor of 10, but the atmospheres were still the same size.  I therefore could use a stripped down version of the mun lander, with an extra capsule, to rescue.  I landed 120 km away, and decided to jetpack to the rescue lander.  The kerbal crashed into a mountain.  So, the rescue mission would have to return alone.  However, the periapsis was too high, so I just skimmed the atmosphere, and slingshotted around the mun into a high orbit.  I then sent a rescue rescue mission, but I then discovered that the rescue craft had its hatch blocked by a probe core.  Then, another mun slingshot ejected them from the kerbin SOI.  Eventually, the system suddenly grew to normal size again, leaving the kerbal in a low solar orbit forever.  

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

But I've never tried dual ascent (off Kerbin) before today. It was easier to keep them together during ascent than it was during reentry. I used mechjeb SURF function so set precise pitch control on each craft, I think it would be much harder with pure stock controls. (sorry for the dark pictures, I'll try this again in the light and get some better pics).

Instantly made me think of this: 

:cool: Now go land ‘em on an asteroid and watch out for that space dimentia. 

fer flarp’s sake he did all that by hand, no Burn Together!

@katateochi you should add Rentery particle effect mod. Makes rentery look so much more spectacular.

3 hours ago, DAL59 said:

I sent a mission to the Mun in science mode.  It failed.  The next time I opened the game, the system shrunk by a factor of 10, but the atmospheres were still the same size.  I therefore could use a stripped down version of the mun lander, with an extra capsule, to rescue.  I landed 120 km away, and decided to jetpack to the rescue lander.  The kerbal crashed into a mountain.  So, the rescue mission would have to return alone.  However, the periapsis was too high, so I just skimmed the atmosphere, and slingshotted around the mun into a high orbit.  I then sent a rescue rescue mission, but I then discovered that the rescue craft had its hatch blocked by a probe core.  Then, another mun slingshot ejected them from the kerbin SOI.  Eventually, the system suddenly grew to normal size again, leaving the kerbal in a low solar orbit forever.  

Priceless 

32 minutes ago, dvp said:

jk559qZ.jpg

Finally started on my first offworld base. I'm "cheating" by not using the life support plugins. Trying to get a feel for the "economy" with all the different materials you can mine/smelt, etc.

Looks nice! It's super easy once you get a feel for it, been using USI for awhile now. Makes getting funds on hard mode a trivial matter and really enhances the need to monitor everything. I suggest getting kerbal alarm clock mod if you don't already have it.

So, in order to get the remaining bits of science I need to finish Sleipnir for the grand voyage, I'm piddling about doing exploration and science missions. I needed to go for a stroll on Mun, plant a flag, and come back home. easy peasy... at least I think I remember how to do it....

I had a science lander and orbital insertion drone already docked to Sleipnir, so I just had to send up some kerbs, do some docking rejiggery because Sleipnir had gotten a bit... messy

97F15006292D66889E242A6EFDD825D2432293F4

In the above pic, the lander I'll be using is docked at the bottom, the orbital drone is mid-left, and the taxi that brought everyone up (and will be taking them back down again) is far left.

So after some nice gentle orbital ballet, Val & Bob set off for Mun, and rapidly established a 50Km parking orbit, separated the lander, and went off for a jaunt on the surface. All good.

Coming back however, after checking fuel levels, I was starting to get a bit worried, about 860 dv on the surface of Mun is cutting it a bit fine for me.... and by the time I'd got the lander back up to rendevous with the orbital drone.... yeah.. slightly close.

8C6195FA9EE16899CB69F84E6A3FEEFE5DE62941

6dv and about 1.5 units of fuel left O_O

fortunately for me, MechJeb's quite good at orbital maneuvering & docking :D

(1.3.0) Last couple of days have been pretty boring, to be honest. I've been trying to find time to continue my son's challenge to use the Alcubierre Drive to visit Eeloo and Moho in the same visit while he watches; right now I'm torn between that and Battlestar Galactica (the good one), which is only on-demand through my cable provider for another eight days. I never caught the first 3/4 of the third season in all the time it's been since the show originally aired. Made it through to "Precipice" (Season 3 Episode 2) last night, so I'm hopeful to be able to get back to warping around the system soon. I did take some time on Wednesday to remember what the hell I was doing with the warp drive mod and circularized Phoenix 4's orbit around Eeloo. I had forgotten to take into account the planetary radius when I originally calculated how fast I should've been going to orbit using warp drive alone (explains a number of things, actually). The probe was corrected to an orbit of 320x303 km over Eeloo, just a little bit over the drive's failsafe altitude, which is good since the probe doesn't have conventional engines at all... 

After fixing the probe, I re-did the refit of the rover La Perla Negra near the Deepwater Horizon refinery on Minmus, using KAS/KIS parts delivered by the Black and Decker 7 probe lander - the same thing I did on Monday, but I had to revert to a quicksave on Tuesday and the last quicksave I did was before the refit. This time around I made sure and left all the screwdrivers delivered by the probe at the refinery. La Perla Negra then departed to conduct seismic readings at two of waypoints in the Lowlands. The drive took pretty much my entire time yesterday - the first set of waypoints were about 70 kilometers to the southeast of Deepwater Horizon and the second set were about 60 kilometers to the west of there - from the Great Flats almost all the way to the Greater Flats and then back again over the non-flat parts of Minmus. The drive back to DH was about 35 kilometers after that, so a quite a little ways across the surface. I am happy to report that the missions were successful and I did get paid a fair amount; my career program is now up to about √10.8M, still well short of what I need to purchase a single warp engine...

After conducting a quick ore-delivery contract, I did another waypoint contract, this time on Mün and requiring the rover Indecision and engineer Leedorf Kerman at the Piper Alpha refinery. This one was in the vicinity of the refinery, only about six kilometers of Münar surface were covered. Easy money, though not a lot of it.

Today I'll be launching a Bill Clinton 7b probe to collect some space crap from LKO. Other than that, it's four days until anything noteworthy is scheduled to happen.

15 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

100/30=3 1/3 
So just over three months

I would still be contemplating a murder-suicide... might even go further than that. I would  be miserable, as cool as space is. You would get Apollo Astronaut's getting cramped after 9-10 days, and this is ten times that length. But hey, maybe kerbals are tougher stuff than us. Maybe their knees don't ache and lock after an hour in the same position, and maybe they get along so well with everyone else that they would just be happy by nature.

EDIT: I mean, technically, they are a mycelium of some sort so it would make sense

Technically Kerbals don't even breathe or eat either...In the past there have been suggestions floated that Kerbals are evolved from amphibians who can easily enter and leave a state of hibernation in which they require no life support or space to move.

Me? I just installed USI-LS and plan for lots of elbow room :)

13 minutes ago, Tyko said:

In the past there have been suggestions floated that Kerbals are evolved from amphibians who can easily enter and leave a state of hibernation in which they require no life support or space to move.

That would make sense- although mushrooms can't regulate their temperature to the point that they slow down life systems that much. However, amphibians don't have spores. I imagine kerbals are some sort of weird chlorophyll using mammal

49 minutes ago, Cole Dailey said:

Tried a little career mode yesterday and did not do so good.

I've started a few careers and I get bored really fast with them.  Guess it's just not for me.  Science saves are good though, but I play a good amount of sandbox.

got bored, Mrs L was asleep so torturing wood in the back room was out*. So despite the issues fired up the eggbox.

I have a Duna orbital lab in LKO waiting about three more flights of a fuel rocket, also sitting in orbit is a smaller 'express' ship, its mission. take five Kerbals to Tuna (orbit only), let them all EVA for experience, grab any science I can from orbit - drop off the science bits as a satellite and then return...

only having to pause to reload half a dozen times we managed to get the small ship to Tuna orbit and with only a few more reloads its now back in an irregular Kerbin orbit, gave up reloading to get it into a low orbit, thats for another day.

Oh to be able to play this game without having to repeat just about every burn two or three times to complete it without the game locking you to the craft and failing to save progress...

* wood, not cats