What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

C2pKLDY.png

Small communications satellite launched to LKO.  Part of my Dmagic/spacey/usi/mostly stockalike career.  The rocket, like Goddard's first rocket, was like a pendulum, with thud engines and asparagus staging.    

NyWWzpX.png

Rocket on ascent, first pair of droptanks already jettisoned.  Unfortunately, the periapsis ended up being 20km.  

Today was disappointing.

It pretty much all started with Klamath, which was more of a tug than a science ship, and a poor one at that. Or, well, it was more of a roving space station than anything else, and I have much better stations, tugs, and science ships. Anyway, with no orbital science gear the trip to Jool was partly wasted to begin with. Then there was the matter of the Laythe lander, which was more of a thought experiment to see if I could do Laythe on Thuds and RCS thrusters because I'm not about to send a ~speisplain~ to Laythe like everyone else. Problem was that once I found out it worked I slapped it on a launcher and sent it on its way instead of making sure it could do more than simply land and return to orbit. No science equipment and the second stage only had thirty minutes of electricity for rendezvous. I'd have to be fast to get everyone back to Klamath. In the rush I forgot to grab what little science I had gained from Laythe, and I wasn't going to spend the time getting it because I had dropped the pod to a lower orbit to prevent it being a hazard (and not having 0.625m docking ports, another oversight).

EixxpWm.png

Good thing the lander worked perfectly. I've tested it for Tekto and will be sending a stripped-down version to Slate.

gCVvfou.png

spPFdIW.png

Disillusioned, I grabbed some supplies and fuel from the Multonomah tug and transferred to Pol where I'll use the small lander to biome hop and grab as much science as possible. There's a transfer window back to Kerbin in a few days, I'm mulling over whether to go back now or stick around for the large lander. I'm leaning towards simply abandoning this mission; I have a properly planned Sarnus mission that I am very much looking forward to.

uabMbhQ.png

Edited by regex

I'm using OPM, and I landed at Sarnus' inner moon, Hale

Being low-gravity world (0,4 of Gilly's gravity), it's so damn hard to keep anything nailed down (even harder than Gilly), I deliberately designed my ship to not use any landing gear/ legs since they tend to bounce on low gravity world. Instead, I'm using antigrav repulsor pads from Kerbal Foundries (toggling them to make a softer belly landing)

6oQkxd0.png

Having a very low gravity and very small diameter, Hale is an interesting place. What was a mountain, now becomes a cliff and a cliff becomes land. It's kinda funny the mountainous region in low gravity world can alter the sense of perspective (I landed at cliff)

kMrO2cZ.png

However, the difficulties are paid off by having the best view of Sarnus' rings

41gs6RJ.png

4wCIZME.png

YeNk6Z1.png

It's so beautiful:)

Edited by ARS

Work continues on my First Joolian Mission. Today I docked the Construction Gantry module (the command cupolas & horizontal arms at the "bottom").

This is the first expansion towards the Zeus Transfer Vehicle, with the components to be built in parallel (using the EL/Simple Construction mod) off the Sr. docking ports at the end of the gantry arms. As the various modules are completed, they will moor off the bottom-most docking port during the Final Assembly phase. 

wnt9iOT.jpg

Edited by scottadges

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Question here for anyone internally familiar with Kerbal Attachment System. I’d rather not plug up that thread with a simple one. 

When a part is attached using KAS/KIS, as far as the game itself runs, is it considered a single vessel or two “docked” vessels?

It considers it a single vessel. Case in point - the recent refit of La Perla Negra involved the attachment of a seismometer. The seismometer was delivered in a KIS container along with a KAS screwdriver, which was used to attach it to the rover. The game now considers it part of the rover. 

That said, you can "dock" two vessels together with KAS winch cables. You plug them into the connector ports and have an option of whether you want it to be plugged in in docked mode or not. When I make my refueling runs, my refineries have the winches and the fuel landers have the connector ports. I connect them together in docked mode and can then transfer fuel and such between them. One time I even "docked" to a crashed lander on the Mun surface; brought along the connector port in a container, attached it with a screwdriver, plugged in a winch, transferred three tourists out over the winch cable...it's not physically realistic but it was valid as far as the game is concerned. 

Why do you ask the question? I ask knowing full well it likely won't be until Monday until I'm on the forums again...

14 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

It considers it a single vessel.

Cool, thanks for the info. :D

15 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Why do you ask the question? I ask knowing full well it likely won't be until Monday until I'm on the forums again...

I’m planning... things. ಠ_ಠ And my frame rate is already suffering. If I understand the games mechanics correctly, docked vessels are a greater drain on the system than a single large vessel with equal parts. 

That being so, I’ll slap it together with KAS instead of docking ports and hopefully save a few FPS. :) 

Expanded my Minmus base (haven't sent the additional crew yet; note that each habitation module [there are 4, along with 1 lab] will have 3 kerbals each [the maximum is 8 for each hab])

The stock-alike 3.75 m crew containers are from the Taurus HCV mod.

CX0IoD2.png

Edited by Pipcard

7 minutes ago, SuperHammy3 said:

Designed a rocket capable of sending kerbals to the Mun and back, part clipped, and flew it to the Mun. Landed it, returned to Kerbin and got some science. :) Now I'm struggling to try and get 1.3.1 to work with the mods I'm using.

First manned mun mission?

6 minutes ago, SuperHammy3 said:

Designed a rocket capable of sending kerbals to the Mun and back, part clipped, and flew it to the Mun. Landed it, returned to Kerbin and got some science. :) Now I'm struggling to try and get 1.3.1 to work with the mods I'm using.

Welcome to the forums @SuperHammy3! I haven't even tried to get 1.3.1 to work. Still trying to run on 1.2.2, but all the new parts for @Angel-125 's Pathfinder mod and @Nils277 's KPBS are making me drool.

13 minutes ago, MoarBoostersRUS said:

First manned mun mission?

In this save, yes. Also, probably the first time I've landed with enough fuel to return to Kerbin.

12 minutes ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

Welcome to the forums @SuperHammy3! I haven't even tried to get 1.3.1 to work. Still trying to run on 1.2.2, but all the new parts for @Angel-125 's Pathfinder mod and @Nils277 's KPBS are making me drool.

Thanks! I use both of those mods, ;p

Completed the first successful expedition to the Eve. To everything turned out as it should was spent a lot of time, 99.9% of it was spent on a successful landing and ascent into orbit. The main difficulty lay in the fact that to land on Eve and take off from her into orbit I wanted only by the airplane mode. I did not watch anything on this topic from YouTube's, to avoid any prompting. Only knew that it would be difficult ( but what would be so difficult I didn't know that ). Here's nothing you can do - I myself has created this difficulties, but I did them and overcome and I don't sorry about spent time, as it was all very interesting. The conquest Eve in KSP is as a test for matriculation, and I finally got it.

1. In orbit of Kerbin (aircraft was launched from the runway, but it seems to be so clear :) )

Spoiler

gVG27UGh.png

2. Docked additional tanks, complete refueling of the aircraft was carried out on Minmus orbit

Spoiler

1rwbYlrh.png

3. In orbit of Eve. The remaining top and bottom fuel tanks have not their fuel by now and to prevent the aircraft from  tumbling and rotation after the main stage of braking by heat shields the tanks are already filled with fuel from the main tank.

Spoiler

649Gfs0h.png

4. At the final stage (penultimate turn) of atmospheric braking from aircraft and from under protective housing was separated  scientific equipment (scanner into a polar orbit goes further independently) and tanks with a nuclear engine to deliver head part of aircraft back to Kerbin.

Spoiler

QWcZWpAh.png

5. Now they will rise to a safe orbit to avoid further atmospheric braking

Spoiler

kT3taQ0h.png

6. Landing on Eve.

7. The take-off to Eve Orbit. For successful achievement of this aircraft into Eve orbit the minimum height above sea level must be 2900 m. or above. In the video this particular case, the most difficult for takeoff.

8. Fuel tanks with a nuclear engine went into low orbit for docking with head part of aircraft. Docking is completed.

Spoiler

2ro3JQ0h.png

9. On the way back it's impossible to fly past Gilly )

Spoiler

k96loK7h.png

10. It's also impossible to fly past and not to land and not to put a flag :wink:

Spoiler

FbCHpejh.png

11. Landing on Kerbin with the aircraft mode

Spoiler

PUyUtgHh.png

12. The expedition successfully completed.

Spoiler

cyFxZk4h.png

Not sure if this should go in work in progress thread or here, but whatever.

Worked more on my shuttle launch script. It now does the first part of the launch much better. Doesn't fall over and fly sideways a bit before crashing into the ground like it used to. It also now takes Longitude of Ascending Node as an input for the desired orbit parameters. Gonna be a while before I do Eccentricity and Argument of Periapsis, if ever.

aiTHvH9.jpg

L6MXrti.jpg

3eAXNot.jpg

The current "gravity turn" equation may be a tad is very aggressive though. Should probably try not to be glowing when I reach orbit.

Reports indicate a strange wormhole has opened nearby the Kerbal Space Center. This strangely familiar looking droid has since been sighted sightseeing the sights when sighted!
(We're assuming she's off duty and George actually paid her :P )

tFysklX.png
fAM4kHW.png

Edited by Dark Lion

28 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Not sure if this should go in work in progress thread or here, but whatever.

Worked more on my shuttle launch script. It now does the first part of the launch much better. Doesn't fall over and fly sideways a bit before crashing into the ground like it used to. It also now takes Longitude of Ascending Node as an input for the desired orbit parameters. Gonna be a while before I do Eccentricity and Argument of Periapsis, if ever.

aiTHvH9.jpg

L6MXrti.jpg

3eAXNot.jpg

The current "gravity turn" equation may be a tad is very aggressive though. Should probably try not to be glowing when I reach orbit.

if you want some stability add 2 fins like this to the main tank

81500D0E91776C2DDC60D61367256BDDE3F3EE2D