What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Today I (mostly) got the Unity Standard (PBR) shaders working in KSP:

bylxf5K.png

JKVRmBT.png

That's not just texture-replacer making things reflective; its the full Unity 5 'Physically Based Rendering' pipeline, including full control over diffuse, metal, and gloss inputs.

wmcKjZV.png

(Follow this work / view more of it at : https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117090-wip131-sstulabs-low-part-count-solutions-orbiters-landers-lifters-dev-thread-10-09-17/&page=279 )

It has some problems with visual enhancement mods (EVE/Scatterer), but I'm working on sorting those out currently.

WOOOAAAAAHHH

Okay, more RP-0 KVV views!

Yesterday I did Mu, today I did my heavier rocket series, Gravity.

ClKBhnv.png

There was also just plain Gravity I, but it only flew once and I couldn't open the craft file without the game crashing. The Gravity I series could originally take 30t to LEO (GI and GIA) but can now take 60t thanks to upgrades (GIB) and I might make a GIC depending on how things go. GII was only launched twice because it seemed like a good idea at the time (first ever hydrolox stage, reused hardware) but it could only take about 10t to orbit and the Mu series quickly surpassed that at lower cost (I think). Gravity III is my Saturn V analogue, sporting 5 F-1 engines on the first stage (but 4 of them are strap-ons). It is heavier than Saturn V but due to lower technology (first moon landing in 1963-ish if I recall correctly) it had a smaller capacity to orbit. Of the 12 built, 2 were test flights, 3 were manned lunar landings, 5 were used to build the lunar space station, and the last two will be used to finish the station.

Gravity IV is basically a Gravity IB with a hydrolox core stage and 4 kerolox boosters instead of 2. It can get upwards of 90t into LEO. So far it has only flown four times, all for large interplanetary probes.

Low quality comparison of Mu and Gravity:

yaKWQIi.png

Again, I expected the height difference to be greater.

EDIT: I got the Neutron family done.

24DF4zY.png

All of them so far:

JyT6Ipr.png

Edited by Ultimate Steve

6 hours ago, scottadges said:

Excellent use of the cabin with the windows for eyes. How did you do the eyebrows?

It took just the right angle and a clipped structural fuselage for the smallest [stock] control surface to bare a corner in just the right place. Imagine a windshield wiper on the wrong side of the glass. :wink:

Edited by Dark Lion

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Okay, more RP-0 KVV views!

Yesterday I did Mu, today I did my heavier rocket series, Gravity.

ClKBhnv.png

There was also just plain Gravity I, but it only flew once and I couldn't open the craft file without the game crashing. The Gravity I series could originally take 30t to LEO (GI and GIA) but can now take 60t thanks to upgrades (GIB) and I might make a GIC depending on how things go. GII was only launched twice because it seemed like a good idea at the time (first ever hydrolox stage, reused hardware) but it could only take about 10t to orbit and the Mu series quickly surpassed that at lower cost (I think). Gravity III is my Saturn V analogue, sporting 5 F-1 engines on the first stage (but 4 of them are strap-ons). It is heavier than Saturn V but due to lower technology (first moon landing in 1963-ish if I recall correctly) it had a smaller capacity to orbit. Of the 12 built, 2 were test flights, 3 were manned lunar landings, 5 were used to build the lunar space station, and the last two will be used to finish the station.

Gravity IV is basically a Gravity IB with a hydrolox core stage and 4 kerolox boosters instead of 2. It can get upwards of 90t into LEO. So far it has only flown four times, all for large interplanetary probes.

Low quality comparison of Mu and Gravity:

yaKWQIi.png

Again, I expected the height difference to be greater.

EDIT: I got the Neutron family done.

24DF4zY.png

All of them so far:

JyT6Ipr.png

And I cant even get to orbit in rss...

Today I finally got enough mods installed to break 1,000 MM patches.

It's just amazing the work people have put into making this game even more incredible than it already was out of the box.  If you've created or helped create a mod, thank you!

de9Screenshotat20171015.png

1 minute ago, MoarBoostersRUS said:

Convinced my buddy to get KSP so I spent the day downloading mod packs and teaching him the basics :wink:

Lucky.  All my friends are boring.

47 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

And I cant even get to orbit in rss...

If you're using purely stock parts, there's your problem. They have bad mass ratios to balance them against the Kerbol system. Mods are really necessary to get anywhere in RSS/RO/RP-0. If not, then a word of encouragement: Once you get the hang of things, you begin to realize that it's not actually as difficult as it seemed.

At one point I realized that you don't actually need a huge rocket to get into orbit.

cHq7K0U.png

All of the rockets except the two on the left and T-1 are theoretically capable of reaching orbit, with SMALL-1 and SRMLV actually having done so.

Part of me wonders how CloudOne woud compare to these... I'd add it on but I don't have any actual scales, the rockets are scaled using a common part that is later cropped out.

If at first you don't succeed, than try again! All but two of the rockets below failed on their first launch.

AppnItA.png

Yes, I really did stick a capsule and a chute on a V-2 rocket. Surprisingly, it worked... Those two were the only ones that didn't fail on their first flights!

Of the ones that did fail, Spoicey Joe was an abort test (the abort system did work, so not a complete loss), I basically cancelled Kappa, I improved Melody (it's now my Soyuz-like rocket), I retired Sigma, and I'm close to retiring Illectro (I think).

Here's all of them so far:

ji3Pcvc.png

The only ones not on that diagram are my early sounding rockets. The game crashed about halfway through the picture taking. The safety records on those were absolutely abysmal...

Of the rockets up there, only 8 are active and 5 are dormant, out of a total of 29.

Finished version coming soon-ish.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

I was fooling around in RO, sandbox this time, and I thought to myself "I wonder if the WWII Germans could have launched something into orbit with the technology of the time."

I set a few restrictions on myself. The only parts I could use were the A-4 parts (both engines, tank, cone, fin, avionics unit) with a very specific whitelist of other parts. I allowed myself procedural decouplers, a simple radial decoupler, struts (duh), fuel lines (not for actual crossfeed, some of the engines weren't receiving fuel when they should have been), launch clamps, procedural thrust plates, and procedural fuel tanks (because who wants 1000 small fuel tanks when you can make a big one!).

After a major change of history, in spring 1945, the Wissenschaftliches Erddrehgerät 1 (literal translation: Scientific Earth Rotator) was rolled out to the launch pad to make history.

8jXmFWp.png

The rocket used 61 A-4 engines and had a very low TWR coming off of the launch pad. The first stage had 24 engines with 16 on detachable boosters.

xt9R1Qr.png

After a short while, the first 8 boosters with 2 engines each detach.

Fjp8nxC.png

Due to the lack of ullage motors, the next stage's engines must be ignited right before the previous stage burns out.

m40tNwM.png

UI is showing here because the rocket was nearly tumbling out of control and I needed the navball.

TV5BKPn.png

The next stage has 16 engines, 4 per booster. The core stage, with four more engines, is ignited later on, about halfway through the burn, to conserve Delta-V.

PGcOKS0.png

Unfortunately, after booster jettison, there is next to no avionics on board. The rocket continues to hold the last command it was given.

4OELZSQ.png

Vs74yV3.png

The final stage is just an ordinary A-4, except with 3x the fuel capacity. Once the mass of the rocket is below 20 tons, it is again controllable, and pitches downward below the horizon to accelerate horizontally and decrease its vertical velocity.

H2M82X4.png

And, engine cutoff!

pv4EJWC.png

Did it make orbit, though? Yes it did. Barely.

ECwZ9uZ.png

Unfortunately, due to the expense of the missile and the lack of battery power, no more are produced and the war ends in 1945 as usual. The Germans burnt all of the blueprints and covered up the launch dramatically so it was never heard from again. Some people still believe Sputnik was the first object to orbit the Earth...

*Cue X-files theme*

31586352-7bff7568-b184-11e7-9aff-0669151

Experimenting with resizing the internals of cockpits to match realistic sized parts, and got some scary results!

The cockpits grew but the kerbals didn't so they ended up with their seatbelts in their mouths. Anyways, I guess I'll just leave them like that til Halloween.

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

31586352-7bff7568-b184-11e7-9aff-0669151

Experimenting with resizing the internals of cockpits to match realistic sized parts, and got some scary results!

The cockpits grew but the kerbals didn't so they ended up with their seatbelts in their mouths. Anyways, I guess I'll just leave them like that til Halloween.

You merely adopted the rocket; they were born into it, molded by it!

Today, I struggled to get 1.3.1 to work, downgraded all my mods that used a 1.3.1 version, downgraded KSP and then I sent a manned mission to Minmus. Had a bit of trouble with the encounter, eventually got it right. I lowered my periapsis from 600k-ish, went into my ideal 10km orbit, then finally attempted a landing and killed 2 kerbals 10 times over landed successfully, putting 2 kerbals on the surface.

Album so3AN will appear when post is submitted

Quite a lot happened today. For :science: !

The karbonite-edition Blue Mun Cruiser performed its polar excursion, packing many small Tarsier Space Tech SSDs for science storage, and successfully farming science in roughly 8 fresh situations under the sky between the space center and the southern ice shelf. The team experienced a flat stall during high flight but recovered well enough, and made their final stop all in one piece.

bZEA5rj.jpg 

ZmHj7LN.jpg 8cijFnm.jpg

Two comsats were launched afterward, the first crafts featuring NTRs (namely the Shiba engine from Ven's Stock Revamp). One was sent to beyond geosynchronous orbit and the next was boldly sent to Iota, to hover near the edge of its SOI to provide maximum possible coverage by itself.

uZ2ccHE.jpg G68YTCG.jpg

Finally, some big plans were drawn up to lavishly expand the early MOLE class low orbit science station...and hopefully properly dispose of all the organic waste sitting about in its meager tanks...and possibly in clumps orbiting (with) the station. Maybe it was unwise to make the space tug as big as it is (the uppermost 1.875m section with solar panels) but the board will see if and when the design choice turns out to be a 'big' issue. The first of several launches was of the tug itself and a 6-port docking hub. The Poodle-powered insertion stage has just enough dV to circularize, park with the station, and deorbit itself.

9vVOXET.jpg

That moment when you undock and the lesser craft renames itself from a creative thing to "(parent vessel) probe" .... :mad: 

mcxpX1u.jpg

Spoiler

The next two modules + a 2nd docking hub are planned for launch. They just happen to look rather awesome imo, built mostly with MOLE station parts.

Upper right is a consumables module (Supplies + Fertilizer), and lower right is the Botany/Sanitation module (Water, Mulch, Dirt, LS recyclers).

yXea3SV.jpg

Spent a bit of time this weekend installing the latest version of KSP (v1.3.1) and getting all the mods up to date, which mostly went well. Had an issue with one particular mod causing a crash, but I only need the parts and not the plugin so I'll push on until it gets patched. I'm not overly thrilled with this version of KSP either (lots of weird UI and control bugs if you alter any of the default settings), but I can only stick around in v1.1.3 and v1.2.2 for so long.

Other than that, I decided to reskin kerbal EVA suits. Nothing too drastic, just tired of the old red/pink highlights the stock suits have. I'm also creating suits and helmets for the three main castes, the tourists, and a generic one for everybody else (such as my custom "kerbal" caste). Also adding rank pips to the front of the helmets (and maybe the suits). Caste icons will be displayed on the helmet on the side where the compass rose / 4-point star is presently (and again, maybe on the suit).

Still working on the suit itself (I want to do something different with the mitten/arm joint, need to finish reworking the straps, and there are still some details to add or fix), but I think I'm happy with the jetpack and helmet. The helmet is lined with a cloth that I can only compare to a mish-mash between the upholstery from my grandparent's old sofa and a bowl of macaroni and cheese.

20171015_ksp0009_suits.jpg

20171015_ksp0010_suits.jpg

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You merely adopted the rocket; they were born into it, molded by it!

They didn't see the Mun until they were grown-ups and by then it was nothing to them but blinding!

Edited by B-STRK